Kranostav
Discord
Tlomz

ga.jpg

Respondeat Superior

Category: Regulation | Area of Affect: Legal Reform

Proposed by: Separatist Peoples | Onsite Topic

Noting an ominous silence surrounding the topic of tort reform

Believing that tort reform serves as an effective alternative to industry regulation by providing an opportunity for injured individuals to hold liable their institutional tortfeasors,

Holding that expanding the duty of business entities to the actions of their employees protects employees, allows adequate compensation to victims, promotes higher standards for safe conduct, and spreads the cost of risk equitably,

Disdainful of industry practices that allow business to use employees as shields against incentivized or overt negligence, and

Determined to prevent it,

The World Assembly hereby enacts the following:

1. A plaintiff in a noncriminal case against a single defendant may enjoin and hold liable the defendant's employer where the defendant:
    1. had an employer-employee relationship with the enjoined business;
    2. Was acting in the scope of employment at that time; and
    3. Was the proximate cause of the damage to the plaintiff.
  2. A plaintiff who wins a judgment in such a case may enforce judgment against both the employer and employee, jointly and severally.

3. An employer may seek indemnity from an employee for costs incurred only when the employee’s actions were reckless or intentional. In situations where a cross-claim is procedurally inappropriate, member states may not hold such claims precluded until that claim is tried on its merits.

4. Member states may award non-compensatory damages in such a case only when failing to do so would be a manifest injustice.

Please vote: For, Against, Abstain, or Present

Sharing detailed opinions along with your vote are encouraged and appreciated!

Ministry IFV:
The proposal before us would allow individuals to sue companies for acts of negligence committed by employees against individuals. We believe this to be a well-intentioned proposal, however we feel it is too vague to cover the issue at hand. The proposal appears to be vague/under developed which concerns may lead to a repeal which would further harm the chances of positive tort reform coming into effect.

In hopes of a redraft and subsequent resubmit, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote Against the proposal.

Last edited:
Against.

Are we really going to dictate exactly how tort laws work in every individual country? There are many WA countries that don't even operate with the same civil court system that this draft resolution assumes.

Also against, but not with Funk's reasoning. Rather, I actually agree with bowloftoast over on Discord. (might be the first time)

Against.
I'm not opposed to the proposal, in spirit, and like the idea of preventing companies shielding themselves behind employees, but I feel like this proposal is a bit light on detail. I think the author could have, without going too deep, done more to establish reasonable parameters, speak a bit to what what circumstances these changes might apply, and adressed potential exemptions. There's very little meat on the bone of the legislation, there's a ton of grey area, and it's vague enough to leave it vulnerable to repeal.

After spending about 2 hours researching and reading about tort law for context, I have to say that i'm for. Despite the legalese, I feel it is a well written and well-intentioned proposal.

Why?

From where I sit, this is a completely reasonable proposal. I think Funk makes a fair point. I appreciate where toast is coming from, but I'm not sure that would have helped this proposal gain more support, or necessarily make it that much stronger of a proposal. i too am inclined to support it.

For

Against: Enforcing legal device is something to not take lightly. I am uncertain if this is a necessary legal device to be enforced across all nations, therefore I oppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back