RolePlay Moderator
-
Deputy Speaker
-
-
-
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Ok, I lied. But that will be the only lie in this entire campaign, and that's because I don't do overly ambitious campaign promises. I do realism.

Here's where the Speakers Office is at as of May 1st 2020: We have a Speaker who took an absence due to coronavirus measures in their country/city/locality knocking out their internet. They "returned" on April 8th and no one in the office has heard from them since. We lost a deputy speaker to the government, with Bob being appointed as a minister, of the four deputies including myself one is chronically inactive, one is dealing with RL stuff due to the disruption caused by the aforementioned virus but is around when asked and two are active. And throughout this period from the time I joined the office to now, we have had to deal with the effects of months of mismanagement of the citizenship and residency sheets and the joinable groups, going back through multiple terms. During an audit of the Residents group I undertook this term I removed at least one nation that had ceased to exist over 2 years ago, which should indicate the kind of time frame this kind of poor management went on for.

And so to move onto what I would do if elected, well it is very similar to what I did whilst served as acting speaker earlier this year. Making sure the work gets done, increasing the speed of the checks and ensuring the team around the Speaker is at its best at all times. We have the Speakers Staff now and rather than use them on projects that may not have much value for the region or only require a small amount of time relative to the time they have, I would use them to rotate in and out as and when needed if a deputy speaker is absent or moves out of the office. The staff includes a number of willing and able individuals with varying degrees of experience in the office, but I'm confident that using them as a reserve for the Deputy Speaker team if needed will bring long term benefits to the office - it could definitely serve as an active training team for potential new deputies.

Over the last term myself and lately Rom have worked hard to ensure we are trying to match the speed with which Siwale does admin checks for our checks. I do not believe we are there yet but with a full team of active deputies, it would be my goal to ensure applicants do not go longer than two days before being checked. This would be achieved by having a full team around me to help with the checks and by improving our organisation and communication in this regard - I want deputies who feel confident enough to volunteer to take responsibility for certain days of the week, but also are aware of their time to an extent that they can recognise when they'll need to call in help. At least one deputy speaker this term has been online at pretty much every point in the day, so if we can build a team that going forward has the kind of communication I want, this is very much achievable.

And I also want to move forward with redefining the role of Speaker a bit. In a parliamentary system the role of the Speaker is to protect the interests of the members of the legislature from any potential government railroading of bills or appointments. There's been a few instances in this term and in recent terms where appointments felt like they were being rushed through without adequate time given for proper scrutiny. As speaker I would try to ensure this doesn't happen - as well as working with all parties to improve how this place holds the government to account; I was very interested by the censure discussion started by Cosmo and will look to amend the standing procedures to bring some clarity as to how a censure vote would operate.

And finally - I use the word 'and' to start sentences too much - what I have tried to do in my time back in TNP is to hold myself to the highest possible standards of behaviour. Sometimes - some would say too frequently - I have failed to reach those high standards. I can only offer my best efforts to ensure that I live up to those standards - and the expectations both you and I hold me to - if elected.

I'm happy to hear questions and suggestions, and a little bit of abuse if that makes you happy. Cheers.

So why the hell aren't you going to ban Tlomz? This is a disgrace of a platform. For shame!

All jokes aside, best of luck.

You’ve always been one to tell it like it is and I really do appreciate the honest and frank tone that this campaign takes. You’re not sugarcoating over anything and you’re being realistic in goal-setting and keeping you intents very clear. Although it’s too early to say for certain, you seem like a very strong choice for our next Speaker of the Regional Assembly and provided nobody exhuberates this level of competency for the office I’d be happy to vote for you.

So why the hell aren't you going to ban Tlomz? This is a disgrace of a platform. For shame!

All jokes aside, best of luck.
I don't have that power, but if elected I would have the power to ensure a bill banning Tlomz passed in a truncated fashion.

Also I'd get to use words like truncated, which is fun.
You’ve always been one to tell it like it is and I really do appreciate the honest and frank tone that this campaign takes. You’re not sugarcoating over anything and you’re being realistic in goal-setting and keeping you intents very clear. Although it’s too early to say for certain, you seem like a very strong choice for our next Speaker of the Regional Assembly and provided nobody exhuberates this level of competency for the office I’d be happy to vote for you.
Thank you very much for the high praise! I've always disliked platforms that promise the world and deliver nothing, so I figured why not go with the opposite - it's only be being realistic about where we are and where we can go that we can actually get there. There's no point in building a skyscraper if there's not good foundations to build it on. That's where I think the office is at. Foundationally, we need to be secure before we can do the ambitious projects.

A few dumb questions/ideas.... Does the Speaker have a way to track TNP citizenship counts? Is that data easily accessible in a spreadsheet? I think it would be great if we could have a graph - much like r3n has for WA votes - that tracks TNP citizenship counts over time. That way we can more easily correlate the data with work Home Affairs does with their lists, and hone the effectiveness of our recruitment efforts. If this already exists, do ignore. If it doesn't, would you be interested in pursuing this idea if elected Speaker?

A few dumb questions/ideas.... Does the Speaker have a way to track TNP citizenship counts? Is that data easily accessible in a spreadsheet? I think it would be great if we could have a graph - much like r3n has for WA votes - that tracks TNP citizenship counts over time. That way we can more easily correlate the data with work Home Affairs does with their lists, and hone the effectiveness of our recruitment efforts. If this already exists, do ignore. If it doesn't, would you be interested in pursuing this idea if elected Speaker?
That information can be found here. The link to that information can be found here.

By all accounts it seems like you've been doing a great job, and I'd like to see it continue. A few questions though:

The staff includes a number of willing and able individuals with varying degrees of experience in the office, but I'm confident that using them as a reserve for the Deputy Speaker team if needed will bring long term benefits to the office - it could definitely serve as an active training team for potential new deputies.
Why not just abolish the speaker's staff and make them all deputies? Has the speaker's staff always just been a way to get people to do shit without having to oath and resign positions in other branches? If so, why should that continue? If the answer is that there's no problem with people from other branches doing work for the Speaker, then should we not amend the constitution to loosen restrictions on holding office in multiple brances?

I was very interested by the censure discussion started by Cosmo and will look to amend the standing procedures to bring some clarity as to how a censure vote would operate.
Why?

By all accounts it seems like you've been doing a great job, and I'd like to see it continue. A few questions though:
Thank you very much.
Why not just abolish the speaker's staff and make them all deputies?
People would get angsty if I appointed 9 Deputies.
Has the speaker's staff always just been a way to get people to do shit without having to oath and resign positions in other branches? If so, why should that continue?
As far as I'm aware the Speaker's Staff was instituted to pursue projects that aren't part of the ordinary - i.e. constitutional - duties of the office. None of these projects ever seem to have gotten off the ground so I'd rather use them as a training and reserve squad to cover absences and departures from the deputy speaker team - I would, of course, be appointing people and having them take the oath as normal.
If the answer is that there's no problem with people from other branches doing work for the Speaker, then should we not amend the constitution to loosen restrictions on holding office in multiple brances?
This is a conversation I feel like we perhaps need to have.
The standing procedures detail the majorities needed to pass all manner of non-legislative motions and whilst part 1 of that section of the SO states that a simple majority would be needed, if we were going to make use of them more often I would like to reflect that in the SO.

Thanks for your answers. A few follow-ups:

People would get angsty if I appointed 9 Deputies.
So what? Those people won't be elected Speaker.

The standing procedures detail the majorities needed to pass all manner of non-legislative motions and whilst part 1 of that section of the SO states that a simple majority would be needed, if we were going to make use of them more often I would like to reflect that in the SO.
Why distinguish between motions to censure and other types of symbolic motions that have no legal effect (e.g. this bowl of porridge)? Is there something about a censure that deserves a special shout out in the procedures?

Last edited:
So what? Those people won't be elected Speaker.
A fair point. I'll think on this more.

Why distinguish between motions to censure and other types of symbolic motions that have no legal effect (e.g. this bowl of porridge)? Is there something about a censure that deserves a special shout out in the procedures?
I figure they may become widely used and thus that may need reflecting, but sure, they don't have to be in there. Any change will likely be put to the RA before being adopted anyway - and suggestions for improvements, either to any potential changes I make or to the Standing Procedures as a whole will be welcomed.

And throughout this period from the time I joined the office to now, we have had to deal with the effects of months of mismanagement of the citizenship and residency sheets and the joinable groups, going back through multiple terms.

Joinable groups are a new thing for the speaker's office to manage. It was handled by the Admin team. I think it is a misstatement to place the blame for there being people masked on the forums improperly at the feet of speakers who held the office before the forum change over.

Joinable groups are a new thing for the speaker's office to manage. It was handled by the Admin team. I think it is a misstatement to place the blame for there being people masked on the forums improperly at the feet of speakers who held the office before the forum change over.
Were it solely a case of the joinable groups I would agree with you, but it has been the responsibility of the office to maintain the citizenship and residency sheet for a number of years now, and it does not take a lot of work to ensure that sheet is up to date and reflects just who is a resident and who is not. My statement should be taken in its entirety, not in little bits.

Were it solely a case of the joinable groups I would agree with you, but it has been the responsibility of the office to maintain the citizenship and residency sheet for a number of years now, and it does not take a lot of work to ensure that sheet is up to date and reflects just who is a resident and who is not. My statement should be taken in its entirety, not in little bits.

Yet you state that
During an audit of the Residents group I undertook this term I removed at least one nation that had ceased to exist over 2 years ago, which should indicate the kind of time frame this kind of poor management went on for.
You make a broad accusation that the speaker's office failed to demask a resident when that power was just recently given to the speaker's office. You use one point that doesnt apply to accuse past speakers of mismanagement. If you remeber the begining of the term, I rode Dero pretty hard about those sheets, no where on it was a nation that was two years CTE. It was a pure forum side thing.

So to look at your statement "as a whole" you use something that was outside of the speaker's powers at the time to try and establish that every speaker before you for the last two years, failed a basic task. A task that was outside of their control for the better part of the two-year time frame you established.

It applies to poor management of the sheets and a failure to do the tasks required of the Office, @Dreadton - the nation in question, Nhada, also went under the name DoctorWellington on their forum account. A search of the forums reveals that while they were remasked from citizen to resident whilst Darcania was speaker and admin and doing the remaskings themselves, there is no evidence that such an action ever happened, or even request was made, for them to be removed from the residents sheet after their CTE.

Back