-
-
-
-
TNP Nation
sil_dorsett
Discord
sildorsett
Here I am with another kneejerk bill. Difference is this time I think I'm actually doing some good. Here's the situation:

On (time=1727766780), @Dalimbar changed their citizenship nation. This was acknowledged by Deputy Speaker @Matzerati at (time=1727792280). However, the spreadsheet entries regarding Dali's citizenship nation change was not updated until (time=1727904780).

Meanwhile, because the spreadsheet had not been updated promptly, my own scripts that generate a page for the Speaker's Office to quickly know who needs to be checked (which can be found here: https://stanpit.thenorthpacific.org/speakersoffice/citizen_forum_report.html) still thought Chodean Kal was Dalimbar's citizenship nation, and thus it flagged it as being out of the region since it had moved to TWP. Thus, if anyone in the Speaker's Office went to my page, it looked as though Dali lost citizenship.

The reason for this page existing was because with the techocalypse in which r3n ended involvement in NationStates and his scripts no longer functioning, the rmb and forum activity checks on the citizen/resident registry no longer worked, and my page provided a solution.

@AraFuttio stripped Dali of citizenship at (time=1727903820) -- I assume after checking my page -- before he updated the spreadsheet after realizing what went wrong.

Ara would later restore Dali's citizenship, but not without controversy, as the Legal Code doesn't provide for the restoration of citizenship if it is wrongly stripped. As it stands now, it should require an R4R against the Speaker to restore citizenship. I'd like for that not to be the case, and I plan to get ahead of it.

Thus, I present the following:
An Act to Provide for the Restoration of Citizenship Wrongfully Stripped:
Section 6.2 of the Legal Code is amended to add the following clause at the end of the section:
The Speaker will promptly restore citizenship to any resident whose citizenship was removed in error, if the error is discovered within 7 days of the removal of their citizenship.

Last edited:
I would like to acknowledge that this is being done due to my citizenship case, I have not spoken with Sil regarding this, and would like to provide context. I generally feel that this is an issue of clerical error, of ignorance over malice.

I am in the midst of preparing myself for Z-Day, where nations of mine which are 10b-40b population are available to me in TWP, and nations 1b to 9.9b are going to TSR soon. I had moved in a smaller nation to this region and provided the appropriate update in the approved citizenship thread. I assumed that would not be an issue.

The above timeline provided by Sil is correct, and would like to note a few additional details for timeline:

At 2:21pm Pacific Time (the timezone I'll be referencing going on) I had submitted this message to the discord #masking-request channel:

Dali
bdbeafd063f17f547b45394eececc500.webp
10/02/2024 2:21 PM​

I had submitted a cit nation change which got noted but see that someone didn’t read that and took away my cit masking on the forum and here. Who should I talk to about that? https://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6924111/19#post-10705225

At 2:25pm that same day I had received an apology from @AraFuttio noting that the mistake was made and resolution would be made soon.

Hey Dalimbar

Really sorry - your nation change hadn’t been registered by the script yet and so it said you were out of the region. I’ll give you your citizenship back.

Thanks
Ara

Back in #masking-requests @Fregerson noted at 8:05pm:

Potato
17d86095ef46f4cad9ef48294645c1aa.webp
10/02/2024 8:05 PM​

https://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/9191694/post-10705374 looks like its just waiting for the speaker's office to fix the masking

My responses in that channel were:

Dali
Yesterday at 12:31 AM​

Mucho danke, awaiting this to happen.

Dali
Yesterday at 9:11 PM​

I hate to be a bother but is there a status update on this?

This situation has been resolved to my satisfaction and I understand that clerical errors were made. It should have been a simple measure of pressing one button to restore my citizenship due to a mistake. I am supportive of the changes proposed by Sil to allow citizenship officials to fix their damn mistakes if it happens. Really folks, it doesn't have to be hard.

Last edited:
Is "7 days of the removal of their citizenship" adequate or does the speaker team etc want a longer period just in case? Otherwise full support.

My only suggestion is to better mirror existing clauses by phrasing it:

The Speaker will promptly restore citizenship to any residents whom they removed in error, if the error is discovered within 7 days of removing them.

Sil makes a good point as this scenario at first glance does appear to be an opposite take on the removal of citizenship due to error in granting it that was previously the subject of a court case. Better safe than sorry. I support this.

Back