-
-
-
TNP Nation
sil_dorsett
Discord
sildorsett
Sil Dorsett for Vice Delegate

Well, I wasn't really planning for this. Legitimately thought I was just going to be guiding the Election Commission through the first election under the new rules. Guess that ain't happening now!

This isn't so much of a "Here's why you should vote for me" campaign. It's more of a "If you vote for me, this is what will happen" style of campaign. I'm not begging you to give me a third term. I'm just making myself available for it.

So, don't call this a plan, but here are my thoughts...

Endorsements
Yeah, we're in a slump. Thanks, Sedge! But, at the same time I blame Sedge, I can't ignore our own neglect. Yes, the gap between Delegate, Vice Delegate, and Security Councilor is important to maintain to prevent malicious del-tips (Thanks, Souls!), but right now we're definitely closer than I would like to some SCers no longer meeting requirements for membership. It may come to us amending the law to lower the requirements given the new reality, but we do still have tools available to prop up struggling SCers, tools we haven't been using, and if my prior two terms are any indication, tools that I am not afraid to use. We can deploy dispatches. We can deploy telegrams. I used to do them weekly, going back and forth between dispatch and telegram to reduce annoyance. We can also use The Northern Light's card supply for rewards. I can make that happen. Granted, it doesn't have to be me as Vice Delegate to use those tools. I'm just saying that I will use them.

Reporting
Those of you who remember when I was Vice Delegate before know that I made the Vice Delegate Report every week, usually on Sundays. I want to get back to that. It was a good way to let everyone know where we stood and to make it clear that I was active and paying attention. I want it to be that if someone asks "Hey, when's the next report?" that they're just trolling.

Citizenship Checks
There have been cases where the public has spoken up and flagged down applicants as being security threats. I plan to allow time for that flagging down to occur where it makes sense. Obviously applications to restore recently held citizenship, and I'm talking cases of accidental loss, wouldn't be subject to that, in most cases, but the Vice Delegate needs to be listening for things they don't know. I will do that.

Regarding my ability to do admin checks as a Global Moderator, I can see how that may be an issue, where I could pass someone's VD check, fail their admin check, and then pass their re-evaluation all in one go. I will admit that I do not have a solution for that, other than me just not doing admin checks while in office. Not ideal, though, given that our admin team needs all the help it can get. I am definitely open to suggestions on how to handle this.

Engagement
Many of the various engagement efforts have fallen flat, whether it being resistance from Security Council members or simple neglect to do such things. My approach is simple, and I'm sorry if this will disappoint, but... I promise nothing. I won't promise to hold town halls, or to mandate that SCers use the RMB, or that I'll hold polls, which could get in the way of executive engagement efforts anyways... What I will do is listen. If you have ideas on how the Security Council could better engage the community, I will listen to you and see if your suggestion is feasible. I am definitely open to various forms of engagement that you would like to see, but I won't say I'll do something and then not do it.

The core functionality of being Vice Delegate is not hard. The Vice Delegate is the chair of the Security Council. The Vice Delegate is in line to run the executive if something happens to the Delegate, until a new Delegate is elected. I know what I've said may sound weak in promises and innovations, but I've done this job before for eight months. I know what the job entails. I know what to expect.

I can do it again.

Last edited:
Are you going to finish the SC Survey, one of Chipoli's projects?

Regarding my ability to do admin checks as a Global Moderator, I can see how that may be an issue, where I could pass someone's VD check, fail their admin check, and then pass their re-evaluation all in one go. I will admit that I do not have a solution for that, other than me just not doing admin checks while in office. Not ideal, though, given that our admin team needs all the help it can get. I am definitely open to suggestions on how to handle this.
To your mind, what do you think is the problem with the admin and Vice Delegate checks being done by the same person?

I'll jump in here - I'm nearly finished with the project, and I anticipate it will be released in the coming days. If it isn't released by the end of the term, it may fall to the next Vice Delegate on a course of action, but for now, it's still in my hands.

That's a lay-up. I can make that happen.

To your mind, what do you think is the problem with the admin and Vice Delegate checks being done by the same person?
The core problem has to do with why admin rejects an application in the first place, and that being someone didn't apply from a residential IP. Applications from VPNs get rejected outright anyways and there's no VD override for that, so those aren't an issue. Mobile, University, and Corporate IPs are different. In those cases, it falls to whether that user is in the WA to allow the override, which the VD would then have to approve.

It really is just the optics of an Admin-capable VD rubber stamping a WA-override applicant after failing their Admin check. I have yet to see a VD fail someone for failing the Admin check, and so I could imagine others questioning the VD when such a scenario happens.

Citizenship Checks
There have been cases where the public has spoken up and flagged down applicants as being security threats. I plan to allow time for that flagging down to occur where it makes sense. Obviously applications to restore recently held citizenship, and I'm talking cases of accidental loss, wouldn't be subject to that, in most cases, but the Vice Delegate needs to be listening for things they don't know. I will do that.

How do you plan to achieve this? Via Delegate directives or through legislation? Also, @Sil Dorsett for the win!

How do you plan to achieve this? Via Delegate directives or through legislation? Also, @Sil Dorsett for the win!
By being patient and asking for patience as well.

For one, I wouldn't be doing Delegate Directives (not the VD's job) nor would I ask the Delegate to make one. Legislation? No need. We've done it already. It used to be a Vice Delegate only had three days to do their evaluation. Now they have seven days. Not saying I'm always going to do my checks on the seventh day. That would be crazy.

The point is that when someone who is both very notable and very concerning applies, people are usually quick to speak up. Just need to be aware of it, investigate it, and consult with the Security Council. Seven days is plenty of time.

I had hoped that a candidate with significant government experience outside of the Security Council would run for Vice Delegate, but as there's a considerable lack of that specific kind of candidate, support.

Back