[R4R] Regarding "On Content Ownership and Freedom of Information Requests against the Security Council"

TlomzKrano

Just a blob chasing cars
-
-
-
-
TNP Nation
Kranostav
Discord
Tlomz
1. What law, government policy, or action (taken by a government official) do you request that the Court review?
Previous court ruling number 37, On Content Ownership and Freedom of Information Requests against the Security Council.

2. What portions of the Constitution, Bill of Rights, Legal Code, or other legal document do you believe has been violated by the above? How so?
Section 7.4 Clause 27 of the Legal Code:
For the purposes of this section "the government" refers to the Delegate and the Executive Officers, including the departments which they oversee, the Vice Delegate and Security Council, and the Speaker's office.
Section 7.4 Clause 34 of the Legal Code:
For the purposes of this section, "government records" are those which are kept on any platform utilized by the government and are open to members of the government and anyone assisting them.
At the time of ruling, the Court determined Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests do not apply to the Security Council (SC) given the SC is not organized under the Executive Branch *and* the Delegate has no legal ability to compel the SC to answer a FOIA request. Amendments to the Legal Code have altered the text of the now existing Section 7.4 which governs Freedom of Information Act law. These changes established all information as defined in Clause 27 and 34 above to be eligible for FOIA request unless otherwise classified, rendering the target ruling in conflict with existing law.

3. Are there any prior rulings of the Court that support your request for review? Which ones, and how?
Previous court ruling number 41, On the Physical Representation of Outdated Rulings on Requests for Review, establishes the ability for Requests for Review (R4R) rulings to result in the overruling of previous court rulings, as is being proposed in this R4R.

Previous court ruling number 77, On the Reconsideration of the Time at Which Oaths Become Binding, serves as an example of the court striking down only a portion of a previous ruling.

4. Please establish your standing by detailing how you, personally, have been adversely affected. If you are requesting a review of a governmental action, you must include how any rights or freedoms of yours have been violated.
Standing derived by my position as Court Examiner, defined in Legal Code Section 3.6, Clause 34: "The Court Examiner will have standing in all cases of judicial review brought before the Court."

5. Is there a compelling regional interest in resolving your request? If so, explain why it is in the interest of the region as whole for your request to be decided now.
This request intends to address a contradiction between standing legal code and a previous court ruling, so as to correct the record for ease of understanding and maintaining legally sound precedence. This is firmly in the interest of the region as clear contradictions between the legal code and court rulings can damage the integrity of the legal precedence our judicial system is built upon.

6. Do you have any further information you wish to submit to the Court with your request?
No

Last edited:
The Court accepts this Request for Review. I will serve as Moderating Justice.
The Court does not recognise any government official as a respondent party as this is a Court decision under review.

The Court will accept briefs from any interested party, the submission period will end five days from now.

I submit to the court the following brief.

To the Honorable Justices of The Court of The North Pacific:

I am writing to you to detail why the portion of the original ruling (#37) in consideration ought to be struck down.

The North Pacific’s Constitution establishes that the Security Council has a public reporting duty:
Article 5, Section 5: “The Security Council will monitor the security of the region and its territories and report on it to the public, and enforce decisions of the Regional Assembly to remove the Delegate.”
The clearest means of establishing this is via Freedom of Information requests, which the legal code, as established, already happens to cover explicitly. Given that ruling #37 did not cite constitutional precedent with regards to the basis for restricting Security Council reporting, but rather a statutory one, it is clear the ruling should be overturned.

Your Lordships,

I would like to be submit my brief on the above subject as given by the Court Examiner @TlomzKrano . I have written my brief in multiple parts for the sake of brevity and convenience.
  • The Court Ruling [On Content Ownership and Freedom of Information Requests against the Security Council” and its impact and my opinion on the ruling]
  • Potential course of action which may be taken by the Court.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On Content Ownership and Freedom of Information Requests against the Security Council

In this ruling, the Court took into considerations, the inquiry and brief filed by r3naissanc3r and Grosseschnauzer respectively. The Court also took considerations relevant portions of the Constitution and the legal code and established the following:
  • The Security Council is not part of the Executive branch;
  • The Vice Delegate functions both inside and outside of the Executive branch;
  • The FOIA law does not apply to the Security Council;
  • Established authors of posts own the content of their posts, and posts made in the capacity as a government official are owned by the branch in which that government official resides.
I would argue on the below listed points in this brief.
  • The Security Council is not part of the Executive;
  • FOIA law does not apply to the Security Council;
The above were the major conclusions of the ruling in my opinion. If it pleases Your Lordships, I will now build my first point.

The Security Council is not part of the Executive

I would like to direct Your Lordship's attention to Article 6 clause 1 of the constitution which states that,
Constitutionally-mandated elected officials are the Delegate, Vice Delegate, Speaker, and Justices.”

From this, we deduce that the role of Vice delegate is the position of a governmental official.
Article 6 clause 3 of the constitution states that,
“The executive category consists of the Delegate, Vice Delegate, and government officials appointed by the Delegate or Vice Delegate.”

We, hereby establish that the Vice delegate is, indeed, a part of the Executive Branch and the government officials appointed(nominated) by the Vice delegate (in this case, members of the Security Council) are also a part of the Executive branch.

If all the members of the Security Council are, in fact, members of the Executive, it would be non-sensical and illogical to assume that Security Council as a government body is not part of the Executive Branch. This deduction from the constitutional provisions however conflicts with the past ruling, “On Content Ownership and Freedom of Information Requests against the Security Council” which states,
“As for the Security Council itself, its status likewise cannot be determined solely from Article 7 of the Constitution. Given that the Chair of the Security Council holds that power only in the absence of holding executive authority, the Court opines that the Security Council is not categorized under the Executive Branch. Given that, and given that the Delegate has no legal authority over the Security Council with which to compel it to release information, the Court opines that the Security Council is not subject to the Freedom of Information Act as written.”

I, in my humble opinion, believe this portion of the ruling or the entirety of it should be overturned by Your Lordships as they see fit.

My fellow court clerk @Comfed reasons with me saying,
“I notice in your brief that you claim that Security Councillors are "government official[s] appointed by the Vice delegate," but that is not the case - Security Councillors apply for their positions, and are then either nominated or not by the SC. Then, the RA votes on whether or not to appoint them; a simple majority is required if the SC has nominated the applicant, and a two-thirds majority is required if the SC has not.”

This is an interesting point. I would like to, if it pleases Your Lordships, expand more on this.
It is, indeed, true that the Constitution lays down the rules and procedures on how members of the Security Council should nominate its members. Article 5 clause 2 of the constitution states that,
“Once an application has been submitted, the Security Council may nominate that applicant by a majority vote. The Regional Assembly may confirm a nominated applicant by a majority vote. If the Security Council does not nominate an applicant or does not act on them within thirty days, the Regional Assembly may appoint the applicant by a two-thirds majority vote.

Now, I would like to direct Your Lordships’ attention to Article 6 clause 15 which says,
“Government bodies may create rules for their own governance subordinate to this constitution and the laws.”

I would also like to mention an excerpt from the ruling, “On Resolving Ambiguity in the Absence of Subordinate Rules for Government Bodies” which states,
We affirm the Security Council’s constitutional right to determine its own procedures, including voting within that body, in the absence of any higher legal provisions further defining its procedures.”

The Constitution, as well as, this Esteemed Court itself has affirmed, that the Security Council has the right to establish its own rules and procedures.

Your Lordships, let’s ponder on this for a bit. The Security Council, at the time of its formation, may have been clueless on how to decide the rules and procedures. The Constitution gave the Security Council the necessary guidance, back then which they required in order to function optimally and to safeguard TNP’s regional security. Article 5 , in my opinion, provides the basic guiding principles, on which further sound legal code could be built upon by the members of the Security Council. Since the Constitution doesn’t exactly define the procedures and workings of the Security Council, it could have been a problem. But the Constitution, solves this by article 6 clause 15, which says, that the Security Council (Government Bodies) has the power the create its own rules and procedures. I, in my humble opinion, believe it is the deliberate intention of the Constitution to give the Security Council, both the guiding principles/clauses (Article 5) as well as the discretionary power/clause (Article 6 Clause 15) to decide on their own to make rules for their own governance subordinate to this constitution and the laws as they see fit.

I, humbly, ask this Court, to ponder on this subject matter and provide much needed clarification.

However, I would like, if it pleases Your Lordships, to expand more on the nature of the Security Council.
Article 5 clause 4 of the constitution states that,
“The Security Council will monitor the security of the region and its territories and report on it to the public, and enforce decisions of the Regional Assembly to remove the Delegate.”

The Security Council is headed by the Vice-delegate who is elected during the General elections. I would like to state the following clauses which aids in my argument,
Article 3 clause 10 of the constitution states that,
The Vice Delegate will chair the Security Council and enforce the continued eligibility of its members as determined by law.”

Section 4.5 clause 30 of the legal code states that,
The election of the Delegate, the Vice Delegate, and the Speaker will begin on the first day of the months of January, May, and September.”

I would like to state the Court’s statement on the Delegate’s authority on the Security Council. This excerpt is from the ruling “On Content Ownership and Freedom of Information Requests against the Security Council” which says,
“Given that, and given that the Delegate has no legal authority over the Security Council with which to compel it to release information, the Court opines that the Security Council is not subject to the Freedom of Information Act as written.”

The Delegate has no authority over the Security Council and can merely cooperate and ask the Security Council to work in good faith for the regional safety of TNP. Article 6 clause 15 of the constitution allows the Security Council to establish its own rules and procedures,
Government bodies may create rules for their own governance subordinate to this constitution and the laws.”

The Court Ruling,” On Resolving Ambiguity in the Absence of Subordinate Rules for Government Bodies” also affirms the same. An excerpt of the ruling states that,
“We affirm the Security Council’s constitutional right to determine its own procedures, including voting within that body, in the absence of any higher legal provisions further defining its procedures.”

I, from my personal standpoint, look at the Security Council as an independent Executive government body which is headed by the Vice – delegate. It has the power to determine its own rules and procedures as they see fit and are under no obligation under the Delegate. However, the Security Council has its own checks and balances as stated by Article 5 clause 4,
“The Security Council will monitor the security of the region and its territories and report on it to the public, and enforce decisions of the Regional Assembly to remove the Delegate.”

They are, after all, answerable to the Regional Assembly and must accept FOI requests as already established.

I, humbly, urge the Honourable Court to ponder on this subject matter and provide much needed clarification.

FOIA law does not apply to the Security Council

The Security Council is responsible for monitoring the regional security of the region. It also has to “report on it to the public” which means the Security Council is answerable to the Regional Assembly and one way to achieve this is by FOI requests filed by the citizens of TNP.
I would like to direct Your Lordships’ attention to Section 5.6 clause 31 of the legal code which says,
Disclosure of private Security Council records will be regulated in the same chapter regulating disclosure of executive government records.”

I would like to mention that the above clause refers to Section 7.4 clause 34 of the legal code stated below,
“For the purposes of this section, "government records" are those which are kept on any platform utilized by the government and are open to members of the government and anyone assisting them.”

Your Lordships, I would like to affirm an important note and even go on to argue for it, Executive Government Records should not be interpreted or read as private government records in Section 5.6 clause 31 since the clause nowhere uses the word ‘private’ except for private Security Council records. While, I do understand there might be an implicit reference by the legal code to refer Private Security Council Records as private Government records but unless stated otherwise, I urge this Esteemed Court, that Private Security Council Records should be read as Government records. The legal code nor the Constitution does not provide for a separate clause defining Executive Government Record.
We have, finally deduced that private Security council Records are, indeed government records. Your Lordships, I, would now like to state Section 7.4 clause 34 which says,
“For the purposes of this section, "government records" are those which are kept on any platform utilized by the government and are open to members of the government and anyone assisting them.”

I would also like to state Section 7.4 clause 37 of the legal code says,
“At any time a resident may request the release of any government record or private government record through the appropriate officers.”

From the reasons stated above, we reach the conclusion that since private security Council are government records and government records can be requested to be released by a resident, I, hereby deduce that the Security Council is, indeed subject to the FOI act. I humbly urge the Court to overturn this part of the past ruling from “On Content Ownership and Freedom of Information Requests against the Security Council” which states,
“As for the Security Council itself, its status likewise cannot be determined solely from Article 7 of the Constitution. Given that the Chair of the Security Council holds that power only in the absence of holding executive authority, the Court opines that the Security Council is not categorized under the Executive Branch. Given that, and given that the Delegate has no legal authority over the Security Council with which to compel it to release information, the Court opines that the Security Council is not subject to the Freedom of Information Act as written.”

If the Court refuses to read Private Security Council records as government records, The Court will accidentally legislate and define the term Executive Government records. The Court’s responsibility is to interpret the constitution and the legal code and settle ambiguities in laws if any. I would like to state an excerpt from the ruling, “On Resolving Ambiguity in the Absence of Subordinate Rules for Government Bodies” which states,
“As the Constitution is clear that the various government bodies may establish their own rules, this Court believes that to the extent it must weigh in and resolve ambiguities related to the regulation of government bodies, it should do so with careful application of existing constitutional and legal provisions, and settle the question with as little change to the subordinate laws and regulations as possible, particularly if the changes involve drafting entirely new language. The Court is not a legislative or regulatory body, and believes it is always better for the Regional Assembly to settle ambiguities in law itself, and for government bodies to clearly outline their own procedures and address deficiencies with internal amendments wherever possible. Nevertheless, we have many times outlined provisions or rules that can guide government bodies when these guidelines or rules were not in place, and may continue to do so from time to time, but on such occasions the Court must endeavour to tread lightly and only as much as is required by the nature of the ambiguity at the heart of the question it is asked to answer.”

I would like to mention another excerpt from the ruling, “On Defunct Rulings”, which says,
“This Court is often asked to rule on laws that are ambiguous. That is the nature of a Court with the power of judicial review. Those rulings have the force of law, but they are not laws themselves. This case is about the specific request for review and the challenged ruling, but to best reach its ruling the Court finds it necessary to weigh in on the general matter of past rulings on matters where the law is subsequently changed (perhaps as corrective to the past ruling) to reach the best ruling in this case. When a ruling may be in error the most direct corrective to that is an appeal. If, instead, the citizenry – through the Court’s ruling – is made aware of a flaw in the Legal Code, the proper corrective is to clarify the citizenry’s intent with the law through new legislation. As such it should be expected that Court rulings give rise to legislation that is meant to supersede Court rulings. This is also not the first time that the Court is asked to weigh in on a previous ruling that has since been superseded. It is, however, the first time that the Court sets out to make a test for superseded rulings, and clearly spell out what the status of a superseded ruling is.”

If the court still reads it as private government records, then I would like to direct Your Lordship’s attention to Section 7.4 clause 36 of the legal code which says,
Private government records which reach one year of age will be relocated to the appropriate Declassified Archive visible to residents.”

Section 7.4 clause 37 states that,
At any time a resident may request the release of any government record or private government record through the appropriate officers.”

The Security Council, would still, very much be subjected to the FOIA.

I, humbly, ask this Esteemed court to provide further and much needed clarification on this subject matter.

Potential course of action which may be taken by the Court
Now, the question arises, Your Lordships, what could be the potential course of action? In my humble opinion, I believe the court should do the following.

First, the court may(should) overturn a part of or the entirety of the past ruling(s) and acknowledge that the Security Council comes under the Executive branch as established in this brief.
The Court should acknowledge that the Vice Delegate has functions both inside and outside of the Security Council. I would like to state an excerpt from the ruling” On Content Ownership and Freedom of Information Requests against the Security Council”, which aids my argument,
“A compelling argument found in the Legal Code is this clause:
“During any period when serving as acting Delegate, the Vice Delegate will be considered absent from the office of Vice Delegate.”

To rephrase in a manner more applicable to this question, according to the law, when the former category of duties moves from potential responsibility to actual responsibility, the Vice Delegate is relieved of responsibility for their stand-alone duties to the Security Council. The law envisions a difference between the nature of these two categories, which can comfortably be accommodated in potentiality but which cannot coexist in actuality.”

I, from a personal standpoint, believe it is the deliberate intention of our Constitution to empower the Vice Delegate with both roles/positions. The Esteemed Justices of this Court, might be inclined to provide further clarification if need be.

I thank Your Lordships for giving me your valuable time.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited:
Brief

If it pleases the Court, I would submit the following brief.

The request challenges the Court's Opinion On Content Ownership and Freedom of Information Requests against the Security Council ("the Official Opinion") on the basis of what is stated to be incompatibility with section 7.4 of the Legal Code.

It will be submitted that the Official Opinion in a minor respect no longer reflects the Legal Code but that it otherwise should be upheld.

Application of the Freedom of Information Act to the Security Council

At the time of the Official Opinion being rendered, the Freedom of Information Act was expressed in terms that made it clear that its application was limited to the executive branch, as the Court's earlier holding On Freedom of Information Requests against the Judiciary found.

The law has since been amended and now states that it applies to "the government" meaning "the Delegate and the Executive Officers, including the departments which they oversee, the Vice Delegate and Security Council, and the Speaker's office". Consequently, where the Official Opinion states that "the Court opines that the Security Council is not subject to the Freedom of Information Act as written", this is a conclusion that was correct at the time it was rendered but which is now defunct and may be marked as such.

The primary subject of the Official Opinion

While the instigation of the Official Opinion was due to an issue in relation to the Freedom of Information Act, in light of the Court's earlier holding On Freedom of Information Requests against the Judiciary that "the FOIA law may only be used to request information belonging to the Executive branch", the primary subject of the request was as to what is "information belonging to the Executive branch".

As to that particular question, it is submitted that nothing is raised by this request which challenges the conclusions of the Court in the Official Opinion as to the issue of ownership. Those conclusions and their applications by further decisions of the Court remain sound for the reasons given (save for some incidental factors, such as the Vice Delegate acting as an Election Commissioner or Deputy Attorney General, which have fallen away) and should be upheld.

Conclusion

The amendment of the law means that, to the minor extent that the Official Opinion repeats its earlier holding that the Freedom of Information Act is limited solely to the executive branch, it can be marked as defunct, should the Court think fit. In relation to the substance of its decision as to the ownership of information, it is submitted that the decision should be left undisturbed.

Unless I can be of further assistance, those are my submissions.

court_seal.png
Ruling of the Court of The North Pacific
In regards to the Judicial Inquiry filed by TlomzKrano on the Reconsideration of Freedom of Information Requests against the Security Council
Opinion drafted by Chief Justice Pallaith, joined by Justices Vivanco and Nutmeg the Squirrel

The Court took into consideration the inquiry filed here by TlomzKrano.

The Court took into consideration the legal briefs filed here by Jinkies, here by SkyTheAquariusOP, and here by Zyvetskistaahn.

The Court took into consideration the relevant portion of the Constitution of The North Pacific.

Article 3. The Delegate and Vice Delegate:
10. The Vice Delegate will chair the Security Council and enforce the continued eligibility of its members as determined by law.

Article 5. The Security Council:
2. Once an application has been submitted, the Security Council may nominate that applicant by a majority vote. The Regional Assembly may confirm a nominated applicant by a majority vote. If the Security Council does not nominate an applicant or does not act on them within thirty days, the Regional Assembly may appoint the applicant by a two-thirds majority vote.

4. The Security Council will monitor the security of the region and its territories and report on it to the public, and enforce decisions of the Regional Assembly to remove the Delegate.

Article 6. General Provisions:
15. Government bodies may create rules for their own governance subordinate to this constitution and the laws.

The Court took into consideration the relevant portion of the Legal Code of The North Pacific.

Chapter 4: Election and Appointment Procedure:
Section 4.5: General Elections
30. The election of the Delegate, the Vice Delegate, and the Speaker will begin on the first day of the months of January, May, and September.

Chapter 5: Regional Security Law:
Section 5.6: Disclosure of Security Council Information
31. Disclosure of private Security Council records will be regulated in the same chapter regulating disclosure of executive government records.

Chapter 7: Executive Government:
Section 7.4: Freedom of Information Act
27. For the purposes of this section "the government" refers to the Delegate and the Executive Officers, including the departments which they oversee, the Vice Delegate and Security Council, and the Speaker's office.
28. For the purposes of this section, “appropriate officers” are those officers responsible for the types of records being requested or released.
29. The Delegate and the designated officers of the Executive are responsible for records related to the Executive.
30. The Vice Delegate is responsible for records related to the Security Council.
31. The Speaker is responsible for records related to the Speaker's office.
32. For the purposes of this section, classified information is that which fits any of the below definitions:

• Real life information about any NationStates player from which there is a risk of inferring that player's real life identity and which has not willingly been disclosed to the public, including, but not limited to, an individual's name, IP address, physical address or location, phone number, place of employment or education, appearance, social media accounts, and other knowledge about a player, unless the player in question provides explicit consent for this information not to be considered private.
  • Real life information about any NationStates player for which there exists a reasonable real life expectation of privacy or discretion, including, but not limited to, health status, both mental and physical; financial status; personal tragedies; changes in personal status such as marriage, divorce, pregnancy, birth, or death; and other similar information, unless the player in question provides explicit consent for this information not to be considered private.
  • Information that, upon being made public, would jeopardize any ongoing military or intelligence operations; or jeopardize the security of units and agents participating in them, or be harmful to the diplomatic interests, military interests, or security of The North Pacific.
  • Information that, upon being made public, would jeopardize Security Council operations in response to threats and attempted coups.
33. Notwithstanding any process for publication, any information which meets the criteria to be classified will not be released.
34. For the purposes of this section, "government records" are those which are kept on any platform utilized by the government and are open to members of the government and anyone assisting them.
35. For the purposes of this section, “private government records” are those which are kept on any platform utilized by the government and are restricted to only the Delegate, the designated officers of the Executive, and any other individuals granted access by the Delegate; only the Speaker, the Deputy Speakers, and any other individuals granted access by the Speaker; or only the Vice Delegate, the Security Council, and any other individuals granted access by the Vice Delegate.
36. Private government records which reach one year of age will be relocated to the appropriate Declassified Archive visible to residents.
37. At any time a resident may request the release of any government record or private government record through the appropriate officers.
38. The appropriate officers will retrieve information requested from the different departments of the government.
39. Residents who do not receive this information for any reason not specifically designated in appropriate laws or regulations may file a request for the information to the court, where the appropriate officers may present evidence that addresses any claim that release of the information meets one or more of the acceptable criteria for classification.
40. Information appropriately not disclosed will be accepted as classified by a majority vote of the Court sitting as a three-member panel.

The Court took into consideration prior rulings by the Court here, here, here, and here,

The Court opines the following:

On Standing
The petitioner is the Court Examiner, and enjoys universal standing for all questions before this Court. There is no question of proper standing in this case.

On the Court’s Prior Ruling
The Court Examiner has requested that this Court reconsider our prior ruling related to the application of FOIA to the Security Council, which held that like the judiciary, the Security Council was also exempted from FOIA requests. As with the other ruling, subsequent changes in the Legal Code have explicitly included the Security Council in this law. When the original ruling was made, the point of contention was defining the Vice Delegate and the Security Council’s relationship to the Executive, and due to its exclusion from that branch, it was excluded from application of the FOIA law. The ruling was also concerned with the ownership of the posts that would be subject to FOIA. We see no reason to reconsider this aspect of the ruling, as no legal changes have taken place that relate to this matter.

The FOIA law now applies to the Security Council. There is no reason that should not be the case from a legal standpoint. Its exclusion in the past was due to the Court’s other ruling that FOIA only applied to the Executive branch, and the fact that the Delegate cannot compel the Security Council to release information. Our other conclusions regarding the Security Council’s relationship with the Executive branch and content ownership are still correct. The Legal Code now explicitly accounts for the Security Council in the FOIA process.

Holding
We find that the following portion of our prior ruling On Content Ownership and Freedom of Information Requests against the Security Council is now altered due to a portion of it being defunct as precedent:

Given that the Chair of the Security Council holds that power only in the absence of holding executive authority, the Court opines that the Security Council is not categorized under the Executive Branch. Given that, and given that the Delegate has no legal authority over the Security Council with which to compel it to release information, the Court opines that the Security Council is not subject to the Freedom of Information Act as written.

Therefore, the defunct portion of the ruling will be modified with strikethrough tags, acknowledging its obsolescence while preserving it for historical purposes.

Back