Pronouns
It
TNP Nation
Simone_Republic
ga.jpg

End Statelessness
Category: Civil Rights | Strength: Mild
Proposed by: Tinhampton | Onsite Topic

Believing that decisive action should be taken to eradicate statelessness across the World Assembly once and for all, the General Assembly hereby:

1. forbids member states from removing:
    1. the citizenship of any of their citizens who do not hold citizenship in any other nation,
    2. the nationality of any of their nationals who do not hold nationality in any other nation, and
    3. the citizenship or nationality of any of their citizens or nationals, even if they are not covered by Articles a(i) or a(ii), without giving them two weeks' warning and the right to a judicial review of such removal,
  2. requires members to immediately restore:
    1. the citizenship of any person who they have removed the citizenship of and who did not hold citizenship in any other nation immediately afterwards,
    2. the nationality of any person who they have removed the nationality of and who did not hold nationality in any other nation immediately afterwards,
    3. the citizenship or nationality of any person whose citizenship or nationality has been removed in a manner that contradicts Article a(iii),
    4. the citizenship or nationality of any person who has voluntarily rescinded it in order to acquire the citizenship or nationality of any other country, and who became stateless as a result of such rescission, but who ultimately did not succeed in making that acquisition, and
    5. the citizenship or nationality of any person who has voluntarily rescinded it in order to become stateless and hence facilitate their performance of activities that are illegal in the member state they live in,
  3. requires members to grant their nationality to all stateless persons found within their jurisdiction, even if they are not covered by Article b (and encourages members to also grant their citizenship to all stateless persons not already covered by Article b(i) who are found within their jurisdiction),
  4. insists that members not charge any individual for the granting or restoration of their citizenship or nationality when they grant or restore it pursuant to Articles b or c,
  5. forbids members from charging any individual more than the necessary administrative and handling fees where that individual seeks to attain or (where legal) rescind their nationality or citizenship, except where Article d provides that the attainment of such be free of charge, and
  6. clarifies that nothing in this resolution prevents citizens or nationals of a member state from voluntarily rescinding their citizenship or nationality of that member.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations, NPA personnel, and those on NPA deployments will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote. If you are on an NPA deployment without being formally registered as an NPA member, name your deployed nation in your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent

Last edited:
Overview
This resolution purports to "end stateless" by forbidding member states from removing the citizenship or nationality of a person if they do not have citizenship or nationality in any other nation, and to restore citizenship or nationality to anyone who has been stripped of citizenship or nationality for any reason. It also in the third clause "requires members to grant their nationality to all stateless persons found within their jurisdiction".

Recommendation
The third clause is highly problematic for us, due to complaints from some members of the multiverse of the potential for them to be flooded with immigrants from non-WA states that are not bound by WA rules to remove citizenship or nationality from their own citizens. Also we see very substantial issues given a lack of definitions regarding states that do not have full recognition as a nation, as the WA has never defined clear relations between sovereign states and recognition.

For the above reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote Against the GA proposal at vote, "End Statelessness".

Last edited:
We're going to have to recommend Against under MGC sanctions On Europe anyway because Tin's region has a treaty with Sparkalia. The IFV has therefore been published.

I already commented on the forumside that I consider this a wasted opportunity in terms of actually putting in more citizenship rights, rather than the very incremental steps this resolution takes.

Last edited:
Against.
I already commented on the forumside that I consider this a wasted opportunity in terms of actually putting in more citizenship rights, rather than the very incremental steps this resolution takes.
Yeah, this too. I feel like countries shouldn't be allowed to revoke the nationality or citizenship of their citizens involuntarily at all.

I’m not certain about the rationale behind the third clause, because it seems to open member-nations towards incentivising illegal entry. I also would have liked to have seen greater consideration of citizens whose only citizenships are in partly unrecognised states, such as Abkhazia in real life, and the implications of that on the proposal. Therefore, I am against this proposal.

I’m not certain about the rationale behind the third clause, because it seems to open member-nations towards incentivising illegal entry. I also would have liked to have seen greater consideration of citizens whose only citizenships are in partly unrecognised states, such as Abkhazia in real life, and the implications of that on the proposal. Therefore, I am against this proposal.

I've drafted an insta-repeal solely based on clause (c), incorporating some arguments raised by Old Hope's legality challenge and Kenmoria's comment about incentivising illegal entry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back