[GA, withdrawn] - Airspace Sovereignty Doctrine (2nd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simone

Milky white thingy
-
-
-
-
Pronouns
It
TNP Nation
Simone_Republic
ga.jpg

Airspace Sovereignty Doctrine
Category: Regulation | Area of Effect: Transportation
Proposed by: Simone Republic, Co-authored by: Kenmoria | Onsite Topic

The World Assembly (WA),

Noting the repeals of resolutions concerning aircraft and airspace, such as GARs 342 and 678, and the legislative
lacuna resultant therefrom;

Acknowledging the WA's long interest in outer space (via GARs 349, 451, 460, and 615) and travels therein; and

Desiring a common approach to defining what constitutes "airspace" and "outer space", in order to facilitate trade
and travel between WA states;

The WA hereby enacts as follows:

1. Definitions.
    • "Flying object" means anything defined by the International Aero-Space Administration (IASA) as (i) able to travel in "airspace" (defined below) and (ii) relying on its own power, but excludes any living flying creature.
    • "WA organs" means the WA and all of its committees.
  2. Sovereignty.
    • Each WA state has and shall be deemed to have sovereignty over its own airspace.
    • "Airspace" is hereby defined as the atmosphere vertically over any land mass or any waters for which the said WA state claims sovereignty, up to the boundary where the exobase ends and barometric conditions no longer apply, and where outer space thereafter begins.
    • For WA states in celestial bodies with physical features (such as the lack of an atmosphere) that render the definition in subclause 2(b) inapplicable, the airspace of the said WA state is that space (which, for convenience, shall also be referred to herein as a WA state's "airspace") vertically over any land mass or any waters for which the said WA state claims sovereignty, either (whichever is lower):
      • Up to the point that allows the said WA state a height of airspace as enables it to conduct those activities that a technologically similar terrestrial WA state would be able to conduct, or
      • Up to the point where the gravitational pull of the celestial body on which that WA state resides becomes negligible.
    • For WA states whose territory encompasses multiple celestial bodies, the airspace of the said WA state further includes the space between these bodies, and any space over which the said WA state can prove on the balance of probabilities is subject to a consistent custom of use, to the satisfaction of the IASA with appeal to the Independent Adjudicative Office (IAO).
    • "Outer space" is hereby defined as any space (excluding airspace) between celestial bodies.
    • Airspace that is vertically over terra nullius, or that is over international waters where no state has asserted sovereignty, is hereby declared to be international airspace.
    • No WA state may assert sovereignty over outer space or international airspace, nor assist any state or non-state actor in asserting sovereignty over outer space or international airspace.
    • The extent of airspace as defined in subclauses 2(b), 2(c), and 2(d) can be varied by valid treaties signed and ratified by all WA states that possess airspace affected by the said treaty.
  3. Jurisdiction.
    • A flying object registered to the competent authorities of a WA state is deemed to be under that WA state's jurisdiction, and that WA state is deemed the "flag state" of that flying object.
    • A flying object operated by, for, or on behalf of a WA organ is subject to the jurisdiction of the WA, regardless of the flag state of that flying object.
  4. Non-interference.
    • A WA state must not impede the normal operations of any flying objects under the jurisdiction of a WA
      organ, except strictly for the purpose of:
      • capacity management if it is traveling within the WA state's
        airspace; and/or
      • quarantines, except if the said flying object's operation within that airspace only involves
        traveling through it without landing or disembarking.
    • A WA state may not disrupt the normal operations of flying objects:
      • Traveling under the flag of the WA, or
      • Traveling under the flag of another WA state, or that of flying objects in the airspace of another WA state, nor attack such flying objects, unless a declared state of war exists between the relevant states.
    • Subclause 4(b) excludes cases where the flying object has been hijacked by rogue actors, or by those that have mutinied against the WA or the said WA state, and other analogous circumstances of loss of control.
  5. Clarifications.
    • The WA reserves the right to regulate the use and jurisdiction of national airspace as well as the operation of all flying objects under the jurisdiction of a WA state (or WA organs) for the safety, security and collective benefits of all WA member states, subject to extant resolutions.
    • The IASA is responsible for implementing this resolution.
    • The IAO shall adjudicate any disputes between different WA states, and between the IASA and WA states.

Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations, NPA personnel, and those on NPA deployments will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA)or something of that effect to your vote. If you are on an NPA deployment without being formally registered as an NPA member, name your deployed nation in your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent

Last edited:
This is a re-submission. The old one is here:

@Kenmoria cleaned up a lot of the issues with flow and an overrun of typos, a persistently troublesome issue for me.

Last edited:
Naturally, I am voting for this proposal. All of the issues that I identified in the last submission have been fixed, leaving a very solid draft with a good mixture of firm mandates and discretion to the IASA.

The WA reserves the right to regulate the use and jurisdiction of national airspace as well as the operation of all flying objects under the jurisdiction of a WA state (or WA organs) for the safety, security and collective benefits of all WA member states, subject to extant resolutions.

…and international airspace?

A WA state must not impede the normal operations of any flying objects under the jurisdiction of a WA organ, except strictly for the purpose of: capacity management if it is traveling within the WA state's airspace…

"Capacity management" is a very limited amount of justification for very normal airspace operations—within CAS, it is absolutely standard practice (and an absolute requirement for any semblance of order to operations) for instructions to be given to aircraft that wouldn't be justified as purely "capacity management", which would "impede the normal operations" of the flight (if the intention was to fly direct from origin to destination). I really hate the word "normal" here, since an extended hold or diversion probably isn't "normal", though it may well be necessary. Effectively, this sees the entire universe's airspace to be converted to class G by blunt decree.

A WA state may not disrupt the normal operations of flying objects: traveling under the flag of the WA, or
Traveling under the flag of another WA state, or that of flying objects in the airspace of another WA state, nor attack such flying objects, unless a declared state of war exists between the relevant states.

Also, I'm certain I've misunderstood this resolution, because this permission to impede operations, even with the conditions, apparently only applies to WA aircraft? Even for only "capacity management", common aircraft cannot be "disrupted" at all? Surely this clause's first half even contradicts the previous clause?

I really wish I had the time to comment forumside, because it would save me the frustration of having to point out issues at this stage, and having to do so in such an abbreviated form that will no doubt be misread and misunderstood by apparently-omniscient commentators, and vilified by pompous ministers.

Regardless, a vote is a vote: Against

…and international airspace?

"Capacity management" is a very limited amount of justification for very normal airspace operations—within CAS, it is absolutely standard practice (and an absolute requirement for any semblance of order to operations) for instructions to be given to aircraft that wouldn't be justified as purely "capacity management", which would "impede the normal operations" of the flight (if the intention was to fly direct from origin to destination). I really hate the word "normal" here, since an extended hold or diversion probably isn't "normal", though it may well be necessary. Effectively, this sees the entire universe's airspace to be converted to class G by blunt decree.

Also, I'm certain I've misunderstood this resolution, because this permission to impede operations, even with the conditions, apparently only applies to WA aircraft? Even for only "capacity management", common aircraft cannot be "disrupted" at all? Surely this clause's first half even contradicts the previous clause?

I really wish I had the time to comment forumside, because it would save me the frustration of having to point out issues at this stage, and having to do so in such an abbreviated form that will no doubt be misread and misunderstood by apparently-omniscient commentators, and vilified by pompous ministers.

Regardless, a vote is a vote: Against
On the fact that international airspace isn’t reserved, that’s because there is no member-nation with the ability to regulate international airspace, so there’s no need for the right to do so to be reserved. The GA has that authority by default, and the only way that it could cease to do so would be if it explicitly disclaimed that jurisdiction.

On the fourth clause, I admit that it is a little confusingly worded. 4(a) talks about aircraft under the jurisdiction of a WA organ, which is defined so as to include being under the jurisdiction of the entire WA. That means that 4(a) applies to anywhere within a member-nation. 4(b) then provides additional reasons that a flight is allowed to be delayed, depending on whether the flight in question is directly under the flag of the WA or under the flag of a member-nation.

On the fact that international airspace isn’t reserved, that’s because there is no member-nation with the ability to regulate international airspace, so there’s no need for the right to do so to be reserved. The GA has that authority by default, and the only way that it could cease to do so would be if it explicitly disclaimed that jurisdiction.

On the fourth clause, I admit that it is a little confusingly worded. 4(a) talks about aircraft under the jurisdiction of a WA organ, which is defined so as to include being under the jurisdiction of the entire WA. That means that 4(a) applies to anywhere within a member-nation. 4(b) then provides additional reasons that a flight is allowed to be delayed, depending on whether the flight in question is directly under the flag of the WA or under the flag of a member-nation.

3(b) defined the jurisdiction of the WA but didn't use the word "flag" , so 4(b)(I) is slightly confusing in referring to the flag of the WA rather than the jurisdiction thereof. But I think it's understandable in terms of meaning since "under the flag of" is a fairly simple legal concept.

Last edited:

I wasn't aware of this, and the confusion stems from that both national and international airspace are defined by the resolution (implying a local definition, as opposed to one precedential) but only the former is referred to in 5a.

Thank you, I do understand the intention of 4a. now, but still not 4b.; if the intention is to "provide additional reasons", surely it has completely reversed that, given it provides no reasons (except under the condition of a state of war)? Does this mean CAS can only be implemented by declaration of war?

3(b) defined the jurisdiction of the WA but didn't use the word "flag" , so 4(b)(I) is slightly confusing in referring to the flag of the WA rather than the jurisdiction thereof. But I think it's understandable in terms of meaning since "under the flag of" is a fairly simple legal concept.

This was never a point of confusion—the issue was that I read "under the jurisdiction of a WA organ" to refer only to aircraft actually operated on behalf of WA organs, as opposed to the intended (?) definition (that the aircraft is regulated by a WA organ).

I'd like to add that I'm somewhat disappointed by the lack of comment prior to yours (for which I am thankful as a courtesy).

Last edited:
Funny thing is it seems to have been in the drafts but it was replaced with 678, which was the resolution that repealed 342. So the preamble now erroneously refers to 678 as a repealed resolution.

I wasn't aware of this, and the confusion stems from that both national and international airspace are defined by the resolution (implying a local definition, as opposed to one precedential) but only the former is referred to in 5a.

Thank you, I do understand the intention of 4a. now, but still not 4b.; if the intention is to "provide additional reasons", surely it has completely reversed that, given it provides no reasons (except under the condition of a state of war)? Does this mean CAS can only be implemented by declaration of war?

This was never a point of confusion—the issue was that I read "under the jurisdiction of a WA organ" to refer only to aircraft actually operated on behalf of WA organs, as opposed to the intended (?) definition (that the aircraft is regulated by a WA organ).

I'd like to add that I'm somewhat disappointed by the lack of comment prior to yours (for which I am thankful as a courtesy).

The fact that national and international airspace is defined in the resolution comes from the original of this as a repeal and replace of two separate resolutions - the repeals passed but the replace did not.

I meant operated the former (for and on behalf of WA organs), not regulations. There are regulations forthcoming on regulating aircraft now that the domestic flight blocker has been ditched.

I meant operated the former (for and on behalf of WA organs), not regulations. There are regulations forthcoming on regulating aircraft now that the domestic flight blocker has been ditched.

In that case, the crux of my original complaint stands, and your co-author seems to be in disagreement with you. I'll return to the source text for complete clarity:

A WA state must not impede the normal operations of any flying objects under the jurisdiction of a WA organ, except strictly for the purpose of: capacity management if it is traveling within the WA state's airspace; and/or quarantines, except if the said flying object's operation within that airspace only involves traveling through it without landing or disembarking. A WA state may not disrupt the normal operations of flying objects: traveling under the flag of the WA, or traveling under the flag of another WA state, or that of flying objects in the airspace of another WA state, nor attack such flying objects, unless a declared state of war exists between the relevant states. [This] excludes cases where the flying object has been hijacked by rogue actors, or by those that have mutinied against the WA or the said WA state, and other analogous circumstances of loss of control.

In summary, this gives two restrictions, which I'll try to write out in as unambiguous form as possible. If you think I'm wrong, it's either because I've misinterpreted the proposal and what follows does not match your intention, or because the following is correct but you do not believe it to be an issue; please make it clear which.

• A WA aircraft (that is, a "flying object [directly] under the jurisdiction of a WA organ", and operating with some bilateral services agreement with some part of the WA, as opposed to just being regulated by a part of the WA) may not have its "normal operations" impeded by a WA state, except ("strictly") for "capacity management" or quarantines.
  • Any aircraft ("flying objects" travelling under the flag of the WA or any WA state, which is, at least for the purposes of typical commercial and general aviation where my concerns and expertise lie, an essentially wholly-encompassing condition*) may not have its "normal operations" impeded by a WA state nor be attacked, unless a state of war exists, or the control of the aircraft by competent authorities has been lost. (I would note that standard real-world phrasing for conditions such as these would be a loss of control by the designated Commander or subsequent delegated authority. A lack of any such consideration has apparently muddied the resolution—as well as its predecessors—significantly.)

*I wish to make it clear, since innocuous (though long) clarifications such as these have been apparently blindly misinterpreted in the past, that this is not a criticism; the condition is fine.

My criticism is twofold: first, in that the latter of the two appears to conflict with the former (at least in the case where a "flying object under the jurisdiction of a WA organ" is also "travelling under the flag of the WA", which seems reasonably-expected), since their conditions inexplicably do not overlap at all; and second, in that the latter (which encompasses the vast majority of all civilian airliner traffic) provides no allowance for disruption of the flight under normal circumstances.

For a concrete example of the latter, take an example of the hypothetical North Pacific Airlines flight 123, flying to the Noordsk capital, and the Noordsk Avdeling for Sivallufþåmpregeln, which currently has regulatory power over airspace in Norvarxilaland. Due to capacity restrictions at the airport, upon entering the capital TMA, NPA123 is instructed to terminate the STAR, and direct to and hold at a fix not published as a hold (due to existing holds being full). This could be argued to be a non-normal (though defined) procedure, and certainly encompasses a "disruption" to the "normal operations" of the flight. Under this regulation, since NPA123 is considered a "flying object [...] traveling under the flag of another WA state", the ASlr cannot authorise this disruption unless Norvarxilaland has declared war against the North Pacific, or it can prove the flight has been hijacked. In the case of the ludicrous suggestion that surely the aircraft will comply, for its own good, I'll raise that this arrangement exists: uncontrolled airspace, which is not used in any major commercial flight areas (for good reason!).

My main conclusion from this entire case is the fact that clause 4. is extraordinarily poorly-written—much worse so than the defeated Aerospace Sovereignty Act, a travesty of debate which I should not like to see repeated—and moreover seems to have been amended so many times that its intention has been lost and now creates only problems, denying nations a basic right to ensure safety and order within their airspace. I shan't go as far as calling it "illegal", since the contradiction is a blunder at worst, but the consequences are just as severe.

I will restate my vote Against, and implore all those voting For to provide at least a cursory dismissal of my complaints before doing so, as a basic courtesy to this ailing region's democracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back