Pronouns
It
TNP Nation
Simone_Republic
ga.jpg

Repeal "Star Gazing Day"
Category: Repeal | GA #687
Proposed by: Mechanocracy, Co-authored by: Varanius | Onsite Topic
Replacement: Reducing Light Pollution (GA#697)

Reaffirming this body believes that while the bill creating star gazing day was written with the best intentions, there exists reasonable concern that it will have unintended consequences,

Furthermore concerned that by encouraging entire nations to lower the lights as outlined in Clause 4.2, pedestrians will be placed at higher risk of injury and exposure to crime as their cities plunge into darkness, and that this campaign against lighting on a society-wide basis is an integral aspect of the bill that cannot be reasonably mitigated without removing the resolution's primary aims,

Fully conscious that issues with light pollution on the borders between member states and and non-World Assembly nations, which will not necessarily be subject to similar restrictions on light usage, highlight that the international mandate contained within the resolution may be better suited to other organizations or handled at a regional level where collections of bordered nations can coordinate with one another to more effectively see through the intent of the resolution- without the resolution,

Apprehensive that resolution #687’s subjective and vague wording will create legal grey zones and unneeded conflict between members of the public over when the use of light is “unwanted, inappropriate, or excessive”, and that resultant debate may consume time better spent by local governments on other more important subjects of contention,

Disappointed that resolution #687 promotes spectral spectacle while seemingly blinded to these more grounded concerns,

The General Assembly hereby repeals GA#687 "Star Gazing Day."
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations, NPA personnel, and those on NPA deployments will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote. If you are on an NPA deployment without being formally registered as an NPA member, name your deployed nation in your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent

Last edited by a moderator:
Overview
This resolution seeks to repeal General Assembly Resolution # 687 "Star Gazing Day", which as the title suggests picked a day off the calendar to name it "Star Gazing Day", and to encourage people to look up to the sky.

Recommendation
We look up to the skies and we see... darkness, void - a vacuum. We realise that we are nothing but a peck of dust in this multiverse. Our own achievements, our own nations, our own civilisations... will be nothing but a void, whether due to "global warming", the explosion of the Sun, or the best-selling Australian author
Link

Max Barry
pulling the plug on the server. In the meantime, we laugh, we smile, we cry; we hold our emotions. But... treasure them while you still can.

Anyway, given the existence of a resolution on reducing light pollution - that is,
General Assembly Resolution # 697 "Reducing Light Pollution"
- we do not see the need to designate an international World Assembly day to "get people to look at the stars", especially as there are certain members of the General Assembly who believe the target resolution was wrong - it should make some general accommodation for other civilisations using different calendars, or on different planets such as Uranus.

For the above reason, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote For the General Assembly resolution at vote, Repeal: "Star Gazing Day".

The resolution has been partly replaced by GA#697 (Reducing Light Pollution) in the sense that the parts of Star Gazing Day about switching off lights have been replaced by a general call for reducing energy use and light pollution. So in a way we have already passed the replacement.

In any case the Delegate is required to vote For due to this originally being a TCB resolution and the existing sanctions imposed. I personally have no opinion on it, if someone wants to make a day to stare at a dark sky (on the assumption that the bear IC lives on Uranus), be my guest.

Last edited:
For. Whether or not the repeal is well-written, it’s a TCB proposal that is being repealed. Enough reason for me.

for

user has left tnp

My comments on this proposal have not changed very much from when this was last proposed. I find this repeal unpersuasive. The first clause is an acceptable boilerplate, on which I have no comments. The second is absurd, however. Since this mandate is an encouragement, a member-nation would clearly not do so if widespread societal collapse were to result. Rather, the WA is suggesting that, all other things being equal, member-nations ought to stop illuminating the ground unnecessarily in commemoration of this day. Concerns about mass violence against pedestrians are greatly exaggerated.

The third clause is equally unhelpful, in my view. Whether or not the W is the proper organ for a given policy is a legitimate question Tomsk, but this is not a case where the WA doing something prevents another organisation from doing so in a more effective manner. Even if Examplestan and Exampleland share a border, with one being a member and one not, Examplestan switching its lights off is still useful. In fairness, the fourth clause does present a reasonable disagreement, and I enjoy the wordplay and writing of the fifth. However, that does not persuade me that this repeal can stand independently.

Of course, the repeal is not standing independently. There is a political fact standing directly next to it. Such facts are beyond my competence, yet I acknowledge that they exist. As such, I will vote as present.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back