• Update from the Delegate - October
  • Lethargy in The East Pacific
  • Letter from the Chancellor
  • The Foreign Newsstand, October
  • Praesidium October Update
  • Update from the Magisterium

Merlovich confirmed as Delegate
By: Loreintor

On October 17, 2023, the Conclave have declared Merlovich the winner of the 2023 October Delegate Elections, after two rounds of voting.

These elections took place from October 1 to 16, with both discussion and voting each taking a week. For this Election, there were two main candidates: Merlovich, and Dremaur, with a joke campaign set forth by Sammy. Election Commissioner Shadow has stated that two rounds of voting were held, with Merlovich gaining a majority at seventeen votes versus Dremaur's fourteen votes. This election was a very close one, with Merlo winning only 55% of the vote versus Dremaur.

One of the main candidates for this election was Dremaur, who ran under the platform "Dremaur Dreamin’ - East Expansion". He promises to expand TEP beyond a NationStates community by expanding into different games. Besides this expansion, Dremaur also promised to give further support to the Ministry of Culture, citing it as a valuable Ministry for the community. Dremaur stresses that the WA vote of the Delegate shall remain focused on the will of the community, as well as considering FA relations.

His plans with Foreign Affairs tie into this as well, saying, ""My plan for FA is to continue to maintain our friendships with treatied and nontreatied friends alike, while looking to expand into more frontier relations as time goes on." To that end, Dremaur states that Military Affairs shall focus on fash bashes, defending allies, and tag raids.

The other main candidate for this election was Merlovich, who ran under the platform "Merlogate". His goal is to help integrate the RMB and RP communities, and to have them participate in TEP community events more often. He advocates as well for a simplification of the Executive Branch, removing the title of Chief Ministry while also retiring the position of Chief Minister of Regional Affairs. For Foreign Affairs, Merlovich stresses a more level-headed approach for relations with foreign regions, while also seeking to assert TEP's independence in the GP landscape. As Delegate, Merlovich promises to defend TEP and its allies' interests from harm, and remain level-headed in doing so.

As someone who is a great proponent of the RMB community, Merlovich wishes for them to be a part of the discussion in his Delegacy: "As Delegate, I hope to ensure the RMB RP community feels heard and involved in discussions, especially those that affect them. This will be done through direct engagement, whether it be through polls, discussions or personal outreach."

The Delegate Transition process is currently in-progress. Delegate Merlovich has finished publishing their Cabinet, and will enumerate on their plans during this edition.

Sidebar Content
Featured #creativity channel

20231026193319-0771507f-la.png

Gonggong/Star Flowers

Interview with the Outgoing Delegate
By: Aivintis

I recently had the pleasure of speaking with the outgoing Delegate, Altys, who has served two terms leading The East Pacific since his initial election in February. After deciding not to run for a third term, Altys now serves as the Minister of Foreign Affairs in the current administration, under his successor Delegate Merlovich.

Aivintis: Thank you for agreeing to an interview with EPNS. As a former Delegate myself, I understand that the experience can change you. So, my first question tonight is this: How do you feel like the delegacy changed you? What lessons did you learn from holding the highest position in the region?

Altys: Thank you for having me! I feel like the main thing my Delegacy changed is my perspective on the region itself. I came to power as someone already experienced in running a region, not as a newcomer to TEP Government, and with a plan in mind. Thus while I believe I was covered in the Delegate role itself, what I knew of the region was in for a little shock.
It's been said time and time again but I don't think people really realise how internally divided TEP as an entity is until you lead it, and get access to all those secret channels and less public information (like stuff only the Admin team knows). We're essentially 3 subdivisions under one banner, with one of them de facto acting as the "central" one (referred to as TEP Gameplay, the Delegate's Government). It is worth noting the only truly centralised authority TEP Government has is Foreign and Military Affairs. The rest (from advertisment, recruitment & integration, news sharing, cultural events) is confusingly shared between Government, Valsora, and Urth.

Aivintis: How do you feel like this Confederate structure affected your term as Delegate? What challenges and benefits did it bring?

Altys: The biggest challenge the structure brought is how divided available manpower is. You essentially have three different manpower pools the size of medium/large UCRs you have to make use of. Each has their own degree of interest, expectations and appreciation (or lack thereof) of the Government, which requires you to enroll people in the Executive through personal approach mostly. This division also means you as Delegate do not have to care about the running of Urth and Valsora for their own people do just that. Something you could consider a benefit.

Aivintis: So you mention personally approaching individuals for recruitment to the Executive. How satisfied are you with your efforts on this front? Do you feel like you have successfully embodied and represented these diverse perspectives through appointments? If so, what made this possible for your administration?

Altys: It's a mixed bag I'd say. On one hand our current Delegate (Merlo) was someone I indeed personally reached out to at the start of my first term, on the other hand I haven't reached out to many people overall. I'm more of a miracle worker than a talent finder. Probably one of the weakest points of my Delegacy really, and one I had stated in my first campaign--I'll tend to do everything myself and if I can't find someone to do work I can't, I also won't go out of my way to find one.

Aivintis: You describe yourself as a miracle worker. What are some of the miracles you’ve worked over your last two terms?

Altys: Probably getting Merlovich to join Government and end up being Delegate? I remember when I was elected that just getting the 'Delegate' role on the RMB Cafe server, or talking about TEP history was like something big. As in, RMBers being so distant from Government made those small steps feel like a lot.
Otherwise I feel like the term miracle worker applies more to my activity in 2022 in Thaecia than my Delegate terms. Here I feel like I did a lot more small things (important nonetheless) rather than some huge "wow" one (like how I was alone responsible for all Thaecia's manual recruitment last year). So maybe "workhorse" is a better word to use than "miracle worker" in this instance.

Aivintis: What’s something you wish you’d done during your term, or something that you regret having done, if there are any?

Altys: My toxic trait would've wanted me to somehow make relations with Urth better. Just having Urth-only players join the Hunger Games or the game nights would've been something. Otherwise I wish I had focused a bit more on the ministry of culture. I'm a former minister of culture myself, both in TEP and Thaecia, and someone used to hosting events and the like, yet during my terms I focused on many things but culture. I only really hosted the monthly Hunger Games and one Stellaris game night with the Augustin Alliance, something I wish I'd done more. Even empowering people to host their own things too, like how Aga (Vice Delegate Eunopiar) did with Chaos' gamer days would've been good.

Aivintis: Interesting. Apart from that, then, what’s something you want to see in the coming months under Merlovich’s administration, as your direct successor?

Altys: More culture events maybe? Given that was the main criticism against my administration it sounds like the most flagrant improvement any successor to me could do. Otherwise seeing UTEP finally find a new identity would be nice too. That was another criticism of my administration--how I didn't really make moves to try and revive it after the move to the main TEP Discord.
That said just keeping the current momentum we have is what I'd say is most important. Changing Delegate can have a huge on the Executive and its activity with how over-reliant its whole structure is to the position.

Aivintis: What message do you have for the people of The East Pacific as we transition from eight months of your Delegacy into a new leadership?

Altys: For lack of better things to say and because I trust Merlo to do the job well, I'll just quote my end of Delegacy statement: "The Executive always needs more people and is always ready to listen to new ideas and projects to better the region. The Executive needs you!" It will always remain true no matter the administration. So come on in now!

Aivintis: Thank you for your time, but I'm afraid that's all I have for tonight. Thank you for your service and I wish you the best of luck in your new position as Minister of Foreign Affairs.

Sidebar Content
Urth Tepwiki Featured Article

Fortuna by Fortuna
Urth Featured Roleplay
Tales from Asendavia by Asendavia

Update from the Delegate - October
By: Merlovich

This month in TEP
It’s been a fairly quiet month in TEP, with the delegate elections smack bang in the middle, a lot of the month has been spent in transition as we set things up for the term ahead. We finished with a bang, however, with our monthly Hunger Games tournament keeping things as tense as ever. It came down to the wire as usual, with fan favourite Cat taking on Sus Dog (Malvekia) and last month's winner, Zidium in the final three. Just when it appeared Zidium might be on the brink of his second straight victory, he was ambushed by Sus Dog and killed, leaving only Cat and Dog to fight to the death for the crown. In what was no doubt a tense and totally epic fight that could only be seen to be believed, Cat defeated Dog with a swift knife throw to the head. Who would’ve thought it’d come down to cats and dogs, huh?
What’s next: Looking ahead to next month, TEP will continue to host and participate in cultural and community events. We look forward to another great showing for Hunger Games, which by the way, fills out nearly every time. We’ll be holding a competition to finally replace our regional banner, which could be designed by you! The EPSA will also be taking part in Operation Cabaret, an anti-fascist event hosted by our friends in Warzone Trinidad and Astoria.

Plans or November
In the month ahead, I look to solidify the groundwork for my main campaign points. At the top of this list is the UTEP rework, which can now begin under newly elected Chancellor Aivintis. I look forward to beginning work on a new dispatch system, structure and staff in the coming weeks. I hope to solidify the revival of the Ministry of Culture with further events and am hoping to continue to boost engagement with the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs. I also hope to see further engagement with the RMB via the Ministry of Outreach under new minister Romanoddle, including polls, questionnaires and events.​

Lethargy in The East Pacific
By: Vussul

The East Pacific's situation is poor. The region is lethargic and inactive. It lacks the energy and enthusiasm it once had. I stated this in the Foreign Affairs server before and again in my nullified Delegate campaign post. The situation remains unchanged from the first time I mentioned it.

I don't see the situation getting better in the foreseeable future either. People may be busier with IRL than before but I believe the main reason is a loss of drive. TEP is less active with less things to do. Because it is less active and has less activities, there is less interest in it. It is a cycle that the region has fallen into. It needs to be broken.

There is a desire for activity. The monthly Hunger Games attract more people than they can fill and the renewal of interest in EPNS shows that people want to do things. These two are inadequate though. Hunger Games is just one cultural event, on its own, it can only do so much, and EPNS is difficult to run effectively.
Manpower and recruitment are non-issues to me. TEP still has a galaxy of talent. There are many former officials, current officials, and current residents that are skilled and capable. We have their talents but we have nothing to put them to use for.

We need more activities. We at last have a Minister of Culture who needs to relentlessly pursue every cultural activity imaginable. The University of The East Pacific, the academic hub of the region, has a Chancellor with the institution being in the process of revival. UTEP needs to be revived quickly. The award system, currently under discussion, needs to be overhauled and completed so there is an incentive to succeed.

Lastly, each of these elements needs to work together so they succeed best. UTEP must work with EPNS to advertise and circulate works. Culture must work with Outreach to advertise and entice members of the other two communities to participate. Outreach must work with EPNS and UTEP so the members of the other communities can get their works published and voices printed. These are all significantly more effective recruitment tools than manually reaching out. If we have active and energetic leaders to make these happen, TEP can return to the activity it had in the post-coup fever.​

Sidebar Content
20231026191421-fa53228f.png

Language: Kuduk by Gonggong/Star Flowers
Conlang Note: Kuduk is still being constructed! This might not be the final script. If Gong makes any updates to the script in the future we will showcase its evolution!
Urth Tepwiki:
Link
[/URL]Kuduk

Letter from the Chancellor
pn6WXSC.png

DEAR EASTERNERS,

On November 1, 2021, I was named Chancellor of The University of The East Pacific, succeeding the great New Leganes, a Chancellor whose efforts were commended by the World Assembly Security Council. From this date onward, I did my best to fill those great shoes, until June 15, 2022, when I was elected Delegate, and had to pass on the baton to the next Chancellor.

Since me, there have been two Chancellors, and then, for at least the duration of the last government term of four months, although the exact time is difficult to ascertain, there was no Chancellor at the helm of the University. There was, however, activity. Sparse. Isolated. But real. I’d like to thank The Fourth Imperium for his papers on Nuclear Strategy, and Evrigenis for his efforts within the Weekly Questions medium, for keeping the University alive, though its heart beat is faint, and its pulse is fading.

Now, once again, I have been named the Chancellor of UTEP. When last I held this office, I inherited a vibrant, lively community of writers and thinkers from all over The East Pacific. Now, almost two years later, I have inherited a quiet wasteland. New Leganes brought us the foundation for success, but we have lost their spirit of change and evolution, and in doing so, we have lost the spirit of the University itself.

In 2021, I had a Five Step Plan for the University. Now, my plan is much grander. The Plan for Educational Engagement, or PEE, sets out to make up for the lack of evolution of the past and to revive the spirit of the Leganesian UTEP era at the same time. It will be difficult. I may not be able to accomplish it. But I certainly cannot accomplish it alone. I need the help of the visionaries and hard workers of our modern government – Merlovich, Vussul, Loreintor, New Leganes, and more.

Most importantly I need the help of ordinary people like you. The RPers of Valsora and Urth, the chatters of the RMB and Discord general server, the issue answerers and those curious about the World Assembly, the foreigners who are interested in our region, the people who want to join government but didn’t know how or when, the people who’ve always wanted to share ideas they’ve had, or spread knowledge they have. UTEP is a space for everyone. UTEP is a space for you.

As has long been tradition and structure, UTEP is first and foremost a repository of knowledge and discussion. It is not an educational institution in the sense where you sit down and listen as someone lectures. It’s a marketplace of ideas, a place where everybody can learn from everybody. You can write about your academic niche, or your favorite book or TV series, you can talk about your nation and its lore, or your region, you can talk about TEP government, or the WA, or issues.

UTEP is a place where your interests in TEP and NS can meet your other interests. We want you to share your passion, your knowledge, your ideas. We want to share our own with you. Over the course of my Chancellorship we will be making the works of UTEP more readily accessible and will be soliciting more works from people like you. But why wait? You can start by reading or creating a topic in the UTEP category of the TEP forums here.

In continuing with the Star Wars related traditions of the University Chancellors of ages past, I quote, “We would be honored, if you would join us.”

Ex Oriente Lux,
Aivintis
Chancellor of the University of The East Pacific

Sidebar Content
Featured #creativity channel

20231026193337-f4764adf-la.png

i.php

by Discord user @yoursonlyforever

The Foreign Newsstand, October

Hello and welcome to the Foreign Newsstand. We in The East Pacific’s Foreign Affairs server can see the news updates from our friends and allies abroad, but you, dear reader, may not have that privilege. We also discuss major interregional headlines from the Gameplay forum and foreign government statements. For the purposes of sharing interregional news, we’ve developed this quick Newsstand to summarize the goings-on of our diplomatic partners in other regions. Here’s the events of October:
  • The Communist Bloc released the statement “The Bloc is at War” following The North Pacific’s declaration of war, which was made in response to TCB’s attack on TNP with the Brotherhood of Malice. The North Pacific is a treaty ally of TEP.​
  • In response to the TCB and BoM attack on TNP and the LWU attack on 10000 Islands’ frontier region A Taco Paradise, Balder declared war on the Brotherhood of Malice, Lone Wolves United and Osiris. Osiris, it reasons, is deeply influenced by the numerous cross-memberships and close diplomatic relationship with BOM. Pharaoh Arkadia Universalis of Osiris responded with “K.” Balder is a treaty ally of TEP. LWU is an embassy partner.​
  • Alfkarl was elected the President of the Union of Democratic States. Ostrovskiy was elected alongside Alfkarl as the Vice President of the Union. UDS is a treaty ally of TEP.​
  • Sparkalia raided the region St Abbaddon, a Stronghold region within the United Regions Alliance, a World Assembly bloc of User Created Regions. Recently elected URA President Rykkland of The Kodiak Republic denounced the raid, of which the URA was notified by the West Pacific and Lone Wolves United, both treaty allies of the URA. None of the involved parties have relations with TEP.​
  • Reportedly unrelated to the raid on their ally, Lone Wolves United closed embassies with Sparkalia.​
  • South Boston Irishmen, known by the name Klaus Mikaelsson, was elected Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. The five member House of Commons of this term maintains a majority from the party Sinn Fein, founded by Klaus himself, and the first order of business involved the election of Aaron Reynolds-Bauheim as Speaker. NSUK currently has a consulate with TEP.​
  • The Free Nations Federation signed a bilateral treaty with The Alstroemerian Commonwealths, entitled The Inclusive Democratic and Oligarchic Leadership (IDOL) Concert. This represents the last bilateral treaty to formally cement the web of Lausanne, the quadrilateral treaty alliance between the FNF, AC, Thaecia, and TEP.​
  • Volstrostia, better known as Alex, of BoM, successfully led a tag in which they convinced native TNPers – new members of TNP’s militia – to serve as pilers. This coincided with an infiltration by BOM in which their agents led an unendorsement campaign against Pallaith, who held the delegacy on behalf of recently elected Delegate Kaschovia, in favor of Chipoli, the former Acting Delegate. Delegate Kashovia filed court proceedings against the agents of BOM, which were soon dropped following the discovery of the true identities of the agents, who the Delegate was authorized to ban without trial per the Legal Code of TNP.​
  • Congressional elections were held in Thaecia, the first since a recent amendment dividing the Senate, one of the legislative houses of Thaecia, into two “classes” of Senators, with each class elected in staggered elections.​
  • Internal records from The Communist Bloc’s ministerial chambers were released, incriminating Air Marshal Mlakhavia, the head of TCB’s military, the People’s Revolutionary Air Force, in a Foreign Affairs scheme to pressure The Black Hawks and Lone Wolves United to cut ties with Community, a Frontierist region involved in the invasion of Solidarity, the joint frontier of NSLeft, which includes TCB. TBH, LWU, and Community all have embassies with TEP.​
  • Sparkalia and Atlanticana have signed a treaty, the Treaty of Sparkling Friendship. Following the former’s attack on the URA and the latter’s transition into a frontier, as well as considering the latter’s cross-membership with BOM, the potential for Atlanticana to become a proxy target of Sparkalia’s or TCB’s enemies remains high. No involved parties maintain relations with TEP.​
  • President Alfkarl of The Union of Democratic States resigned following a scandal involving the Roleplay Ministry, the details of which have not been divulged to the greater NSGP community. Vice President Ostrovskiy was approved by the Union’s Electoral Commission to serve as President for the remainder of the term.​
  • The third election for the positions of Minister-President and Citizen-Speaker have begun in Carcassonne. Ministers of Foreign Affairs and Culture Reside and Ladratia, respectively, compete in the elections for Minister-President, which is the Chief Executive office of Carcassonne, currently held by Pauline Bonaparte. Questions of the region’s security and Frontierist ideology were discussed, among other affairs. Carcassonne currently maintains embassies with TEP.​
  • The Black Hawks has closed embassy with Lone Wolves United. No statement has yet been released on this matter. Both regions currently maintain embassies with TEP.​

Praesidium October Update

Over the course of October, Grand Vizier Aivintis has granted citizenship to 10 residents of The East Pacific, although 5 more were lost due to a Citizenship Audit performed on 27th October. Furthermore, 3 clerical changes to the citizenship roster were processed, the last resulting from the aforementioned audit. The Citizenship Office has expanded with the nomination and confirmation of Evan Rikuta of Vulbania as a Citizenship Officer.

In further administrative news, Vizier VW53Aland has resigned from the Regional Officer designation, and has been replaced with Vizier Dragons Blood. VW’s service in the RO slot has been invaluable, and the position has been left in capable hands with Dragons Blood, who, as the former Grand Vizier, has experience holding Regional Officer positions. VW’s resignation from RO status does not constitute a resignation from Viziership.

The CTE of Brotherland, an act which forfeited their Viziership, was a shock to the Praesidium, especially concerning measures kept in place to keep Viziers logging into their nations, but records were updated to reflect the forfeit in a timely manner, and the act has caused no detriment to the operations of the branch. The Praesidium thanks Brotherland for the past nearly four years of service to the regional security of the Confederation.

In contrast to the loss of a Vizier, leaving the Praesidium’s Citadel at 11 Viziers, talks with recently elected Delegate Merlovich have been initiated on the subject of nominating more Viziers. The benefit of a large Praesidium cannot be understated, nor can the benefit of Praesidium activity. Multiple candidates have been considered, and the Delegate is pursuing this line of inquiry.

October Endorsement Tracker
Note that the elected Delegate is shown in bold green. The current Delegate remains Altys with 415 endorsements as of writing.
Screenshot_from_2023-11-01_15-50-041.png

Sidebar Content
Feature: Strategic Nuclear Delivery Vehicles

Featured by: Aivintis
In this UTEP work, TEP resident The Fourth Imperium writes about the mechanized, mobile delivery of nuclear weapons. This paper is a must-read for any aspiring nuclear power in Valsora, Urth, or any other RP.
Read it here

Update from the Magisterium
By: Cyberstrom

October has come and gone, alongside a slate of legislative changes to our region.
The Magisterium currently stands 18 Magisters strong, with 2 Magisters recently leaving our ranks and former Delegate Altys re-joining.
The Magisterium has voted on 5 separate matters this month and is currently undergoing a 6th vote that will conclude in the first week of November.

A summary of these votes and their results have been included for convenience:​

Last edited:
Back