Lord Dominator for Justice

Lord Dominator

Citizen
-
-
Hello

I am once again running for Justice. I’ve been Justice a number of times previously, and have no objection to serving once more.

Presuming I am elected, I will continue to operate as a responsible Justice and so forth - in operation of my duties & in trying to ensure that others can fulfill their duties (and legal need) in the future.

Questions?

What do you see as the role of the defense attorney?

What can we do to get more people ready for and willing to join the bar?

What do you see as the role of the defense attorney?

What can we do to get more people ready for and willing to join the bar?
Much as irl, the point of a defense attorney is ensuring that a given criminal case is vigorously contested and that a defendant is afforded reasonable ability to be found not to be guilt (dependent of course on the given defendant and their alleged crime for whether that’s reasonably possible). Of course, unlike irl our legal system is rather less complicated due to lesser breadth of the law, so the role more serves as a more experienced guide for your defense typically rather than your only hope.

Encourage people to participate where they can - particularly with R4Rs, since there isn’t an ability to do poorly in those by nature, and it’s a good place to try out your legal writing and theories.

Support

Edit: actually, one question: do you plan to proceed with the reforms proposed by AS and other simplification reforms? I find the Court process rather too bureaucratic for my taste.

Last edited:
Edit: actually, one question: do you plan to proceed with the reforms proposed by AS and other simplification reforms? I find the Court process rather too bureaucratic for my taste.
Echoing Simone's question. How do you plan to approach AS's reforms?

Echoing Simone's question. How do you plan to approach AS's reforms?
Apologies, I missed the edit.

In brief, prosecutorial discretion is I believe rather more of a RA matter. While it may be useful for the Court to define such things, I am rather of the opinion that the operation of prosecutors should be a RA matter - it certainly has been in every other instance.

I could take or leave the no-contest plea - it’s potentially useful, but not particularly important considering the likely low need. Plea deals have no need to be codified, as they exist purely as a deal between prosecution and defense (with no inherent need for the Court to take the deal into account beyond the agreement producing similar recommendations on sentencing).

Voluntary recusal is useful.

Reforms that are needed (to answer the question more generally) are those that simplify our trial procedures in particular. I believe in particular our evidence submission needs simplification. I will take some blame as the partial architect for the current trial procedure (as borrowed and modified from trials before the years-long gap in trials) and lacking particular ideas in reform there, but I can promise working to fix them. Also I do think R4Rs should more properly separate questions of standing from the actual review, simply because of the number of cases with automatic standing, and the couple where there are legitimate questions of standing that should be resolved more properly separate from the questionl

Back