[GA, Inquorate] repeal countering agroterrorism (685)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simone

Milky white thingy
-
-
-
-
Pronouns
It
TNP Nation
Simone_Republic
ga.jpg

Repeal Countering agroterrorism
Category: Repeal | GA #685
Proposed by: Wallenburg | Onsite Topic
Replacement: < None >​

General Assembly Resolution #685 “Countering Agroterrorism” (Category: International Security; Strength: Strong) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Observing the need for a spirited, sincere, and only slightly sanctimonious preamble,

Convinced that driving the family tractor into the lake is not terrorism,

Optimistic that famine may be prohibited as a tool of war without undue burden upon peacetime industry nor undue protection upon military supplies,

The World Assembly hereby repeals GAR #685, "Countering Agroterrorism" on these grounds:

1. Section 1(c) fails to account for destruction of agricultural infrastructure unrelated to the prosecution of armed conflict, prohibiting the destruction of any element of agricultural production, processing, or shipping capacity. Consequently, the target largely:
    1. Prohibits the destruction of farmland for other land use,
    2. Prohibits the destruction of crop or livestock in situ for legitimate agricultural reasons, such as preventing plague or infestation by pests,
    3. Prohibits the demolition, remodeling, or of buildings used to produce, process, or store for distribution food,
    4. Prohibits the scrapping of vehicles used for transporting food to any degree, as well as any act resulting in even the slightest cosmetic damage to such vehicles, and
    5. Renders a crime of international scale, classed together with acts of war terrorism and to be reported to the World Health Authority, every act of petty vandalism upon food infrastructure, including destructive trespass by rowdy juveniles and indiscriminate graffiti upon food shipping facilities and vehicles.
  2. Section 1(c) also inhibits the ability of member states to prosecute legitimate war aims by damaging or destroying food stores mainly used by an enemy military but also available to the civilian population, an obstruction made more serious by the lack of any clear substance to this section's "civilian shield" exception, defined neither in this resolution nor in any other World Assembly law. By strengthening the capacity for an enemy military to resist attack and safeguard its supply lines, the target is likely to increase the bloodshed in members' military engagements rather than reduce it.
  3. Sections 1(d) and 1(e) render political, business, or personal deliberations advocating, advancing, or organizing any of the above activities illegal.
  4. These proscriptions in their misadjusted priorities cripple the ability of member states or their inhabitants to go about typical changes to facility use and proper disposal or removal of facilities at the end of their use cycle.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I debated both the original and the repeal, I really need to read the wording carefully before I decide which way I'd vote. Wally's point is quite subtle.

Against. This is written quite eloquently, and I think the target should have been written in a far clearer manner; however I don't think these issues ultimately necessitate repeal. The target being the victim of quorum raiding also makes me more inclined to want to see it stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back