Wym for Justice: Keeping the Court in 'Order!'

Wymondham

TNPer
-
Pronouns
He/Him
Howdy y'all!

For those that do not yet know me, I'm Wym and I'm running for justice!!

While I am a relative newcomer to TNP's formidable legal tradition, I have a great deal of legal experience in other regions, which I feel would be of great use given the ongoing debate around legal reform. I have served as a Justice in Lazarus for many years, where I have authored a number of legal opinions (indeed, my rulings make up the vast majority of antebellum Lazarene case law) and presided over numerous criminal trials. It is perhaps useful at this point to turn to my general legal philosophy.

I am a keen believer in judicial restraint, the Court of The North Pacific, or indeed any region is not a legislative body and must therefore refrain from acting as one. Therefore the first question I ask myself when considering any request for review is, 'Is the court the appropriate venue for this question, or is it best addressed by another body'. I think that, at times, TNP's unique legal culture sometimes lends itself to a culture of over-litigation and expecting the Court to weigh in on matters where somewhere else, for example, the RA, would be a better place for an issue. This leads to the second part of my Judicial Philosophy, the belief that where the law does not clearly speak on a matter, it is not the place of the court to invent meaning or try to contort existing legislation to fit something it was not designed for. I can appreciate that it is a rather unsatisfying response to state that 'the law does not make any provision for this matter, the RA needs to legislate on this', but that is sometimes a response a court must give. I will finally speak on my general approach to legal interpretation, which combines a textual approach based upon the plain meaning of words with teleological interpretation to allow law to be considered through both theory and praxis. This, in turn, influences my approach to precedent. I feel it is important to note that, while it is not the place of the court to act as a quasi-legislative body, the way we do things as a region has changed over the decades, and prior rulings must be considered in light of those changing practices, rather than clung to.

Regarding the current proposals for judicial reform, I am very much in favour of the proposal for recusal due to absence. I am more cautious about the proposals for codifying no contest pleas and prosecutor discretion. While I am absolutely in agreement with the limiting of nolo contendere to cases which do not require intent (to allow such a plea where intent is required would be iniquitous); I am cautious as to how this proposal would open the door to formalising plea deals. Plea deals, whether formalised or not, are something which I have little time for, I generally believe that they encourage prosecutorial overcharging (both of the vertical and horizontal nature, although the former would be limited by no contest being forbidden in cases requiring intent), and encourage pre-mature guilty pleas by defendants to avoid the perceived risk of a trial. Especially given that a not insignificant portion of cases have historically involved nations new to the region, who may well be intimidated by our complex legal system. I am disinclined towards prosecutorial discretion for similar reasons. That said, I am open to be convinced otherwise on both, as I simultaneously acknowledge the benefits the proposals could bring by simplifying the judicial system, and giving prosecutors an ability to change, or drop, indictments in response to an evolving assessment of the available evidence.

I am happy to answer any questions you have and hope to receive your vote!!

Last edited:
I think that, at times, TNP's unique legal culture sometimes lends itself to a culture of over-litigation and expecting the Court to weigh in on matters where somewhere else, for example, the RA, would be a better place for an issue.
You just won the internet. Seriously, finally someone gets it. You've got my vote.

Last edited:
This is a good platform. Can you give us an example of previous court rulings which would have been better dealt with elsewhere?

I think this is a strong platform and I am glad to see an explanation of your judicial philosophy, which I am broadly supportive of.

This is a good platform. Can you give us an example of previous court rulings which would have been better dealt with elsewhere?
My view is that the courts' ruling as to the definition of a treaty in the case On the Definition of Treaties and Delegate's Authority to Sanction Residents was something which should have been simply passed onto the regional assembly. In my view, the court should not state 'we are defining a treaty as follows' (paraphrased) and then immediately invite the Regional Assembly to create its own definition at a future point. If the law does not provide for a definition, it not the place of any court to apparate a definition from the dregs of forum records of a legal document created nearly 2 decades ago and which is no longer in force. Therefore, this area of the ruling was a matter which I felt would have been better dealt with a simple statement that 'the law does not provide for an adequate definition of a treaty, it is not the place of this body to create law where none exists, therefore the question as to whether the sanctions constitute a treaty is not one we can take up until the Regional Assembly provides a proper definition of what a treaty is'.

I would also point to the actions taken by Cretox in MJ's recent trial as another example of a court case being used to make a point/raise an issue which ought have been raised directly in the Regional Assembly without the performative breaking of the region's legal system to illustrate perceived flaws.

Thank you for your answer. I can see your point. Not to get into a debate regarding judicial restraint, but on a purely practical level, it's quicker to get a court ruling than it is to get a law passed. The petitioner wants answers, so there is pressure on the court to settle the matter. Legislative action is going to take a lot longer. In many instances it wouldn't solve the immediate problem anyway, since the law is not retroactive. So... court.

As for Cretox's shenanigans, there is solid historic precedence for it. Tying the court up in knots use to be quite the popular pastime. On the bright side, it has precipitated court reform. Once clever litigants can demonstrate flaws in the system, it provides the impetus for change and improvement.

I'm not saying it's the right way to go about it. I just wanted to explain my understanding as to how these things happen.

Why should I vote for you instead of the other candidates?
I believe that I have clearly articulated my judicial philosophy in my campaign, I offer voters a response to decisions made over the past term, and perhaps even longer, that they feel ought to be handled differently going forward; I bring a different perspective and a different way of doing things than what we currently have. I firmly believe that the more external perspective I bring on not just judicial philosophy, but also our general way of doing things in TNP's legal system, will be to the benefit of the court and, therefore, the region.

Back