Pronouns
He/Him/His
TNP Nation
Kaschovia
Discord
kaschovia

vPzV58k.jpg

Introduction

My name is Kaschovia, current Deputy Minister for Defense and Culture, and I am officially running for Delegate of the North Pacific. Formerly I have served as Vice Delegate, a Security Councillor, four-time Minister of Communications, Minister of Culture, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Minister of Gameside Affairs, Deputy Minister for every currently existing ministry, four-time Deputy Speaker, and have reached the rank of Captain in the North Pacific Army with fifty-one operations joined, five of those led. I’ve called the North Pacific my home for over seven years and served on the executive council under multiple different delegates, and I now believe it is the right time for me to make a case for the highest position our region has to offer.

Back in April, I knew I wanted to be responsible for the return of the Ministry of Communications. At the time I wasn't quite sure how I was going to do that, but I have Madjack to thank primarily, because without him telling me rather frankly to just write something, I may not have put together, designed, and published the first edition of the North Star since 2021, at a time when the ministry was a distant memory. It was this sudden burst of ambition and determination, combined with the amazing group of people who have worked alongside me since the start of the term, that made the revival possible. Of course, I have Gorundu to thank for trusting in me to bring the ministry back in the first place. The deputies I appointed during my time are now taking the reins and continue to remind me every day why I took my chances: because that is exactly the level of ambition our region was built upon. I’d be doing myself a disservice if I did not believe in myself enough to take another step forward and share my ideas when they might prove most useful to the community.

I think I’ve proven that I can implement new ideas and build effective teams in my time as Minister of Communications and Deputy Minister of Defense this term, but I aim to do so across the entire executive. Many have seen the potential we all have to get things done and set the highest standards for the rest of NationStates, but we have to be honest with ourselves when we’re not operating at our greatest capacity and address the key issues. The unforeseen unavailability of some of our most important tools swept our feet from under us when we were moving along too comfortably, but we need to get back up and keep going. I get the sense many of us simply want security in knowing we can make progress without falling repeatedly into patterns of uncertainty and stagnation, which requires open dialogue with ministers and honest conversations with citizens. The last few months have been a lot tougher than most in the past few years, and may get tougher, but it’s at times like this we must remember just how much potential our community has to come together and succeed like never before. I hope you resonate with the ambition in my ideas and trust in me to implement them. We can and will emerge from this period of difficulty having proven to ourselves that we are capable of anything.

Defense

In my capacity as Deputy Minister of Defense, and even before that as a lieutenant, I worked alongside Comfed and the High Command to improve the recruitment strategies of the North Pacific Army. Spreadsheets and rosters were updated, new milestone and achievement ribbons were designed in addition to a new set of rank ribbons for forum signatures, an operation count leaderboard was prototyped, multiple citizens were recruited into the ranks, our dispatch reports got an aesthetic upgrade, and I introduced NPA-specific cards for each of our soldiers. However, when looking to the future:

High Command Integration

I’d like to implement further integration of High Command members into the recruitment and training process. It is essential for NPA recruitment that we have a culture of encouragement and enthusiasm for our military operations, and that happens from the top down. I believe teaching can be a great way of solidifying existing knowledge, and strengthens the abilities of all the soldiers in our ranks. It would be my top priority when it comes to the Ministry of Defense to turn the NPA into one of the most capable and welcoming militaries in all of NationStates.

Regular and Consistent Training

In an earlier version of this platform, I would have encouraged solidifying our ability to conduct operations and consistent training on our own, without relying too much on other organizations for regular training opportunities and missions, employing the High Command to bring some new soldiers up the ranks. While I would still like to see our High Command do so, it’s clear following the delegate tip of our region orchestrated by TCB and the Brotherhood of Malice, we will need to continue working with our allies in order to enact our response. Whether we find ourselves in a state of war, or considering alternatives outside of that scope, it is clear we are not going to find peace anytime soon, and we need to continue working regularly with our allies, not just on training operations, but when it matters most.

Improved Recruitment Efforts

On the topic of a potential state of war with TCB/BoM, it is crucial that we get our recruitment process right. This starts with our media output: we need to be celebrating the NPA as far and as wide as possible, whether that’s on the RMB, Discord, or forums. In addition to this, we need to be improving our outreach. The RMB is one of our most active regional areas and we can certainly do more to advertise the benefits of joining the NPA on a regular basis, as well as through Discord, the forums, and our Home Affairs lists. Reaching out to former NPA members, or those who showed interest but recently stopped, to see what we can do to get them back into our ranks will also aid this effort. Overall, there are so many ways we can build upon the success we saw in our recruitment towards the end of last term, we just need to dedicate ourselves to those causes and we will boost our ranks in no time at all.

More Diversified Set of Rewards

The NPA would benefit a lot from a more diversified set of rewards, so every soldier has an incentive to climb the ranks now that the pre-lieutenant ranks are standardized. I did design some new ribbons for the fifty and seventy-five operation milestones, but I believe we can manage more ribbons for all of our most important operations and do a better job of promoting them for recruitment. I also designed an operation count leaderboard much earlier in the term, which will also play a role in our improved recruitment strategy. The NPA calling cards should continue, can change based on promotions to incentivize activity, and should still feature in the improved dispatch report format.

Hall of Fame and Medals of Honor

And finally, I’d like to instate a hall of fame with individual stories and accounts for some of our most decorated officers. We all know who they are, and I think it’s about time their stories were told. I want to inspire the next generation to climb the ranks and write their own stories, and I think this would be a great way to do so. In the same vein, last term I also discussed with High Command the possibility of the Delegate or Minister of Defense awarding medals of honor to recognize some of the most impressive acts of our soldiers throughout the term. These would be given out at the end of the term to a select few who have truly impressed, and the hall of fame would see one or two inductees per term.

Foreign Affairs

I believe Foreign Affairs can be broken down into two areas - theoretical and practical. Essentially, how we think about foreign policy and how we apply that thinking in practice. Both of those areas should be closely in alignment, where any gaps should be filled with pragmatic and honest decision-making based on discussions with FA leadership. Issues can arise from a misalignment between those areas, so we need to be steadfast and united in our approach. What I believe is missing from the FA ministry currently is a web of understanding between senior and junior staff that reassures and enables everyone to take part in the higher level decision-making and discussions. There have been many attempts in the past at bridging this gap, but the gameplay sphere and all the complex scenarios that come with it can be a formidable obstacle for even the toughest of aspiring diplomats to overcome. Every situation is nuanced, with unknowable factors at play around every corner, which is why it is so important that there is regular communication between staff about why specific decisions are made. I have a couple of ideas to remedy this.

A New Way Of Learning FA

Firstly, instructional case studies, both in written and possibly video format, could prove immensely informative for junior diplomats in teaching some of the key lessons in foreign affairs. One of the key problems with training staff in foreign policy is the abstraction of real relations. With such case studies, an explanation of the actual application of theory would remove this layer of abstraction and allow staff to gain deeper insight into the decision-making processes of leading foreign policy staff. If a junior diplomat is interested in learning about foreign affairs, and asks senior diplomats to explain the course of action taken in a specific circumstance, I believe we should be able to provide the right answers and encourage them to keep learning. This would require planning alongside senior diplomats and ministry leadership, but I think expanding the ways in which we teach our diplomats is extremely important.

Visualizing Our Diplomatic Network

Secondly, I did some independent research about a month and a half ago regarding a matrix of our allies, comparing who had which specific treaties with who, whether they were longstanding or a non-aggression pact for example, and I realized many junior staff may struggle to approach higher level foreign policy because they’re not being shown the bigger picture. When you can look down on all the connections between our major allies and begin to ask questions about that, a more enriched view of our region’s foreign affairs is revealed. I think this could be a starting step for a lot of completely new staff as they can situate themselves diplomatically according to their assignments. This would essentially be an updated map, with each assignee reporting back on the relations of their embassy, serving both as an informative task and as a means of creating useful visualizations for the ministry itself.

Further Involving Diplomats

And finally, the position of diplomat is fairly underutilized as the only real responsibility they hold currently is distributing announcements and publications, which needs to change. It is more important than ever for diplomats and staff to feel more involved in the process of foreign affairs as the gameplay landscape continually changes. This means being included in more discussions around events, treaties, embassies, and decision-making. Foreign Affairs can be more than a publications and announcement distribution service, it can instead offer more avenues for learning and engagement for anyone in the executive to understand just what it takes to carry out great diplomacy.
In terms of a practical approach to foreign affairs, we have to be adaptable and headstrong. As an independent GCR with over twenty years of history, we should not be afraid to hold our own, which means we have to know what we want on the world stage.

Strengthening New Alliances

Building upon the treaties put forward by Chipoli with The Wellspring and Carcassonne should definitely be a priority, once and if they pass, which they look highly likely to. As one of the original TNPers to help secure The Wellspring back in April, I’ve seen and helped it grow into a flourishing, unique community with its own culture and identity in just four and a half months. Once treaties are put in place between those two regions, I hope for us to organize joint regional events such that both communities can benefit from their relationships with us. There is significant crossover between citizens of The Wellspring and The North Pacific, and with such strong connections already there, it only makes sense that we nourish that connection and celebrate how far The Wellspring has come. The proposed treaty with Carcassonne, who have already built such a strong and unique community, presents a diplomatic continuation of our great relations with Taijitu and will further our involvement in the new frontier landscape.

The Drums of War

Attacks on our region by The Communist Bloc and The Brotherhood of Malice have forced us to consider war, but no matter which direction we choose as a region, we should never feel intimidated or rushed to make rash decisions. There are many who have grown tired of their antics and provocations, myself included, but when the time comes to decide whether a state of war should be recognized or declared, my sole consideration will be what is best for our community. If we decide that war is the best course of action, I will do everything in my power to ensure that we never stand down, that we engage our entire diplomatic network, and that we emerge as victors. But, if war is not the collective commitment, we will respond to those who provoke us to the furthest extent possible while avoiding said conflict. We can call upon our allies wherever they may be needed, and we have experienced military leaders to guide both offensive and defensive efforts. The North Pacific has faced adversaries much greater in strength and in cunning than both TCB and BoM; this region has survived multiple coups, conflicts, and situations exactly like this over the years, and here we stand: still a bulwark of the democratic process, still home to brilliant, innovative nations, and still completely resolute in our independence. This is not going to change anytime soon.

Culture

Leadership in Culture has changed hands multiple times since the start of the term, with all of those ministers bringing something different to the table. However, it is clear that a full-term minister is needed to harness the collective efforts of the staff, plan enjoyable events for the community, and ultimately fulfill the purpose of the ministry. Culture is an area in which we do have a lot of creative potential, but we need an uninterrupted term to build the consistency and foundations to unlock it. In addition to the ideas I am about to go over, that should be our top priority.

Expanding On Weekly Events

Weekly events need to be maintained and organized on a consistent basis. These are the bread and butter of what Culture does, and means we have something regular to offer to our community. However, I do believe there is potential for a more diverse offering of events. Discord can allow for many types of games, which also gives us opportunities to host events with other regions. Gameside promotion of weekly events, as well as smaller activities, should also be a priority, possibly with a public calendar of events put in place.

Smaller, Interregional Activities

Reaching out to other communities to host more interregional activities, even if it is just a one day event, is really important for our unity and morale. The recent success of the interregional chess arena with the West Pacific shows we can do this successfully, but it’s not just about reaching out to our allies for events, it is about creating an environment where more of us can be involved in the brainstorming and planning stages for these activities. I imagine we all have ideas for events we’d personally like to see and I think it is down to Culture to make those a reality.

We Need More Festivals

Putting together smaller events is always fun, but it’s been some time since we did anything really big. The logistics and planning of festivals can be time-consuming, but absolutely worth it. For most of last term, Culture did the absolute most it could with the ever-changing leadership, but with good ideas and a consistent team in charge, I believe the ministry can do so much more. A festival or two, or three, should definitely be on the to-do list. I absolutely envision one with The Wellspring and Carcassonne, who are likely to be our next treaty allies. Beyond that, we have so many opportunities for larger events, but staff engagement within the ministry must extend further than Music Mondays and Theme Thursdays.

World Assembly Affairs

The Ministry of World Assembly Affairs continues to prove itself as one of the most consistent executive bodies in our government. Without fail, it produces high quality IFVs, manages dozens of different voting and discussion threads, and hosts some of the most prolific WA authors in the entire game. So how can it be improved?

World Assembly Acceleration Program

The World Assembly Acceleration Program stagnated from May onwards last term, but I do believe it is one of the ways in which the ministry can look to improve. Aside from the regular IFV writing, voting threads, and other ministerial ongoings, encouraging staff to approach mentors about ideas, even if they don’t immediately succeed, is going to be something that needs exploring further. A possible expansion of the leadership core could aid in this, with more deputies appointed to address specific areas of the ministry.

Heroes of Valhalla

The Heroes of Valhalla program has already done a brilliant job in creating opportunities for existing SC authors to work on new projects and do great research, but I believe there will still be plenty of TNPers who we should be looking at drafting commendations for. We just need to dedicate some time to deciding which candidate commendations would be the most realistic to pursue, and work towards getting as many of them done as we can throughout the term. Europeia, for example, have especially capitalized on the HoV program and successfully passed many commendations of their own, so it should be the aim of our WA ministry to explore multiple potential proposals and see them through.

High-Quality Administration

Regular administration of the ministry should remain as consistent as it has been over the last few terms, primarily due to outstanding former or current ministers and deputies such as Magecastle, Simone Republic, and Chipoli. The production and publication of IFVs should remain a mainstay of ministerial activity, as well as promptly creating voting and discussion threads on the forums. There aren’t many faults or ideas for improvement here because WAA has practically reached full efficiency when it comes to its already existing responsibilities.

Staff Mentorship Expansions

The Ministry of World Assembly Affairs has recently undergone improvements to mentorship within the staff, and it's clear the extent to which training can be effective in resolution writing is similar to that of Foreign Affairs. As useful as guides can be, the best teacher in this arena is experience. Those who write more IFVs, for example, will develop an understanding over time about what makes a proposal worth support. Those who draft more on the forums will eventually learn the complicated ruleset of GenSec, proposal legality, and extant body of legislation. So in this context, I believe mentorship should take more of an understudy format, where writers or members of staff who show interest and promise are given the opportunity to help draft the proposals of more the distinguished authors who would like to serve as mentors. This way, exposure to the open, choppy ocean of the World Assembly will feel more like a smooth, informative cruise, instead of a battle against a storm. This will inspire confidence in those mentees to take on their own drafts and ideas, and ultimately support the next generation of WA authors in The North Pacific.

Home Affairs

Trident Recruitment Strategy

It is clear almost five months on from the launch of the Frontier/Strongholds update that frontier communities are here to stay, they mean business, and will continue to grow. It was predicted that our regional population would fall, and it has, but I feel the potential remedies have not been implemented to full effect just yet. We’re still without API recruitment, which stopped working with the technological collapse, and we’re still without a primary manual recruitment initiative. This needs to change. One of my top priorities will be implementing those systems as early on as possible so we can maximize our long term benefits throughout the term and stop relying on our declining spawn rates for new citizens and residents. The final system we can use is stamps, but without yet knowing how much or how little our quantity of stamps has changed since the beginning of last term, I think those first two systems should be our priority. Stamps, however, can and should still be used for recruitment if and when they are donated to us and we have enough to justify it.

Improved Incentives

Home Affairs may struggle to expand its staff ranks if its rewards schemes are not also expanded in parallel, so it will be a priority to introduce those rewards: trading cards and badges primarily. However, something similar to Culture and Theme Thursday rewards should be considered, where more productive members of staff get to change the regional banner, or the ministers flag, for a week. These sorts of ideas are going to make the difference next term, and it is important we know how we’re going to recognize staff for what can be repetitive work. Home Affairs is the backbone of the region, in my opinion, and it's more important than ever that staff feel rewarded for helping out.

Gameside Engagement

Gameside engagement stays as crucial as it always has been. Our use of the gameside advocates will be multifaceted as we take on challenges in HA recruitment, advertisement of the NPA (potentially in wartime) and the executive, RMB moderation, cultural activities, and more. In addition to this, our mentors must continue to aid those who make the jump from gameside to the forums and seek pathways into the citizenry and the executive. These are some of the most important teams in the entire executive, yet they remain relatively small and unnoticed compared to others. Supporting the emergence of new generations of players and leaders in our region is a collective effort, but more people could be getting involved.

Communications

Communications has seen a reawakening this term, coming back from dissolution and reaching new heights. The team I assembled throughout the term and handed the ministry over to following my resignation have been absolutely faultless, but we need to continue the great work we’ve been doing and most importantly make it possible for Communications to continue operating into the future sustainably.

A Better Behind-the-Scenes

The ministry will return to full administrative capacity. One of my key goals in the reestablishment of Communications was setting up a behind the scenes process for tracking the progress of the ministry and the staff. I set up a detailed spreadsheet including the term calendar, current staff roster, publication progress, and CR points tracking sheet. This system fueled a majority of our successes in the first half of the term as we saw several editions of TNS released to the highest quality. I am going to make sure this system is explained to deputies and the Communications leadership team in the hopes it can aid planning, administration, and tracking into future terms.

Collectivizing Design Efforts

A new, collaborative design team will be created. One of the hardest obstacles for any iteration of Communications over the years has been design, especially in regards to The Northern Light publication. In my time as Minister, I worked hard to make sure there were sustainable templates for in-game dispatches using BBCode, but for TNS, TNL, and NBS, a more collaborative approach is required. We have some great designers amongst us and I imagine working together on designs would only expedite the process. I personally designed three editions of TNS, but I don’t think that is sustainable and the process needs to be shared so we can pass on the torch. I plan to do this primarily through Canva, a free online graphic design tool, which I used for all of the issues of TNS and will continue using so I can share what I have learnt with the design team. I am also open to inviting alternative resources or softwares into the process if a specific designer is accustomed to it specifically.

On From the Radio Resurgence

Our broadcasting team will build upon the incredible resurgence in radio we made last term. Multiple shows were recorded, edited, and released throughout the term, while consistent and new panelists offered their thoughts and opinions on the important matters, but there is always room for improvement. The editing process is still quite slow, with shows not released until a considerable time after they are recorded, so this will be a point of focus. Additionally, poor scheduling of recordings seems to impact our output, but coordinating across varying time zones will always prove tricky. The best we can do is make use of resources like Doodle polls, or schedule shows further ahead in time. As much as I admire the tenacity of Robespierre, and sincerely hope he can continue to host shows, I would like to see more panelists lead shows as well so the experience can be passed down to future ministers and deputies. I am interested in exploring alternative forms of content, such as short form, educational, and regional guide content that can be distributed region-wide as a parallel to written dispatches or shorter guides. And finally, I’d like to see through Ruben’s effort to port our broadcasts across to Spotify in chronological order so we can further diversify our distribution channels.
Improving Communication

In terms of the creative productivity of the ministry, we have the capacity to continue putting out high quality media. We have a team of great writers who are interested in researching, drafting, and editing articles, but communication still needs to improve. If you wrote for Communications under my ministership last term you’ll know I reached out about article progress quite a bit, but especially for TNL, it could have been more regular and more collaborative. This is going to be more important for things like The Northern Notes, which I would definitely want to see continue as a more regular form of regional update on smaller items of news that would not feature in TNS or TNL.

Continuing the Rewards System

The ministry rewards system will also continue! Using the CR points system, or another system if better ideas come forward, I want to keep affirming staff that they are appreciated for their work. I will make good on my promise to distribute the CR points earned as bank value for cards, so do not worry, if you did anything under Communications this term you will still be rewarded. I most likely will discontinue the staff members of the week awards, as I feel those were a little too regular for any real recognition, but the monthly and end of term awards ceremonies should absolutely continue.

Technology

The failure of most of our critical technological infrastructure remains one of the biggest problems we face as a region today. The tools we relied upon for so long, and have been the root of most of our successes in World Assembly growth, endorsement counts, and streamlined executive processes, are still inoperational. I intend to take a realistic and measured approach to putting together plans to find the fixes we desperately need, so we can coordinate our efforts and understand the connections between the various resources, starting with the most basic steps. I know it is possible for us to return to what we had, and there are key individuals within our ranks who possess the rigor and knowledge to lead the effort. These individuals will be crucial to our success in bringing back these technologies, but consistent dialogue is required. The reason our technology was so vulnerable in the past is because it was solely hosted and run by one person, without whom that infrastructure collapsed. If we can create a collaborative system, where varying degrees of expertise are combined to form a more solid network of understanding, we move one step closer to getting those systems back.

Conclusion

I understand these next few months are going to be just as tough, if not tougher, than in recent memory, but I believe I have the determination needed to put the right plans in place and get them done. Success is always easier said than done, and it takes time for an entire community to feel the effects, but with a sense of realism about the challenges ahead and the same, unwavering ambition that runs throughout us all, we will get there. I've called this region my home for over seven years, and served in many of the positions you are all in right now, and I'm extremely proud that this incredible community exists. But, it is in times like these, when lots of things feel uncertain, and the waves of NationStates roll tall above our heads, all we need to do is shine the onward light.

Thank you for reading my campaign! If you have any questions, I would love to answer them.

p.s If you want to show support for the campaign, I'd massively appreciate if you put the following badge in your signature!
b2XOmOa.png

Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/b2XOmOa.png[/IMG]

Last edited:
You know I'm sure I could write literal pages on what got me here, but it is so great to see someone with experience willing to step into the job for the first time. You have my full support.

And finally, I’d like to instate a hall of fame with individual stories and accounts for some of our most decorated officers. We all know who they are, and I think it’s about time their stories were told. I want to inspire the next generation to climb the ranks and write their own stories, and I think this would be a great way to do so. In the same vein, last term I also discussed with High Command the possibility of the Delegate or Minister of Defense awarding medals of honor to recognize some of the most impressive acts of our soldiers throughout the term. These would be given out at the end of the term to a select few who have truly impressed, and the hall of fame would see one or two inductees per term.
For the record, the NPA already does have a Hall of Fame-like system for recognizing great and decorated soldiers--the Hall of Honour. However, it is not currently displayed or advertised anywhere, and there is no record of the named soldiers and what their contributions were, and there is only one member (Malphe).

You refer to your successful Communications Rating system you implemented during your most recent term as minister of communications. Do you believe that this is a system that could be applied effectively to other areas of the government?

Would you re-implement some version of the Senior Diplomats to provide more continuity in the delegate's FA advisors than currently exists?

Am asking the same questions for anyone running for delegate (might think of more questions later):

1. Are you personally in favour of war?

2. If you face a recall as delegate, would you vote in your own recall?

Two questions very specific to WA:

3. Are you able to vote reasonably on time in WA, given whatever timezone constraints you might have? I know that this is a game and we all have RL commitments, but there is a difference between playing Call of Duty on your own versus volunteering to run a 900-person delegacy in an MMORPG like NS. The situation with the GA voting at the rather inconvenient time of midnight US East Coast won't change during whoever is the next delegate given the queue. Of course that might become more important anyway if we are at war.

4. Can you commit to giving an actual explanation if you miss an entire vote (ie not vote at all in the four day voting period) - Gorundu missed a GA one and never actually gave an explanation, although that resolution passed anyway. (He went against the forum vote on an SC but gave an explanation which is fine, I don't question the delegate's power to vote against the forum).

Last edited:
You know I'm sure I could write literal pages on what got me here, but it is so great to see someone with experience willing to step into the job for the first time. You have my full support.
Full support!
Very well written, full support, so happy to see you running.
My signature says it all.
You have my support, Kasch! Good luck!

All of your support is massively appreciated.

For the record, the NPA already does have a Hall of Fame-like system for recognizing great and decorated soldiers--the Hall of Honour. However, it is not currently displayed or advertised anywhere, and there is no record of the named soldiers and what their contributions were, and there is only one member (Malphe).

You refer to your successful Communications Rating system you implemented during your most recent term as minister of communications. Do you believe that this is a system that could be applied effectively to other areas of the government?

Would you re-implement some version of the Senior Diplomats to provide more continuity in the delegate's FA advisors than currently exists?

1. Well, let's change that!

2. Yes, absolutely. However, it'd be up to each individual minister to decide whether such a system would be implemented and how those points would be distributed for different things. For example, I could see such a system working really well for Home Affairs in terms of telegrams sent, mentorship work, and gameside engagement, but I'd need to ensure that recording points would not become a tedious and much too complicated task within itself. When I introduced the system for Communications, my threshold for awarding points was quite low, which meant although small tasks did earn staff CR, the level of maintenance and point validation did increase. Any rewards system we implement would be based on discussions with ministers and staff. If we decide a potential system does not unnecessarily burden ministry leadership too much, then by all means let's do it, but it needs to be right for that specific ministry. I think the Communications system works because it was designed for the pyramid of tasks specific to Communications, and I managed to simplify recording points down to adding to an automated spreadsheet whenever a member of staff completed a task, so should a minister want to explore a similar rewards system to see if it would work, we'll do it.

3. This is definitely something I would consider, but I'd need to know that the pool of potential and willing Senior Diplomats was great enough to justify it. There are dozens within our ranks that could be described as Senior Diplomats based on their experience, but does that necessitate a re-implementation? I'd definitely have the discussion with ministry leadership and assess with them the current presence of experienced diplomats within the staff. If our impression is that reintroducing some form of Senior Diplomat role would be beneficial and practical, it'll happen. However, a potential alternative would be the expansion of the ministry leadership core, in the case that there aren't enough experienced diplomats willing to fill a new role. If ministry leadership identify a member of staff who is particularly capable and offers great recommendations on a consistent basis, perhaps giving them the opportunity to prove themselves further as a deputy would be better than the pressure of a Senior Diplomat title.

Am asking the same questions for anyone running for delegate (might think of more questions later):

1. Are you personally in favour of war?

2. If you face a recall as delegate, would you vote in your own recall?

Two questions very specific to WA:

3. Are you able to vote reasonably on time in WA, given whatever timezone constraints you might have? I know that this is a game and we all have RL commitments, but there is a difference between playing Call of Duty on your own versus volunteering to run a 900-person delegacy in an MMORPG like NS. The situation with the GA voting at the rather inconvenient time of midnight US East Coast won't change during whoever is the next delegate given the queue. Of course that might become more important anyway if we are at war.

4. Can you commit to giving an actual explanation if you miss an entire vote (ie not vote at all in the four day voting period) - Gorundu missed a GA one and never actually gave an explanation, although that resolution passed anyway. (He went against the forum vote on an SC but gave an explanation which is fine, I don't question the delegate's power to vote against the forum).

1. I assume you're referring specifically to the situation with TCB and BoM, and I'd have to say it's increasingly looking like our most practical option at the moment given their most recent attack and consequent antics, but ultimately it is up to the region to decide once a motion is made. While initially hesitant based on chances we rush our planning or make an uninformed decision too soon, it's clear, as I said in my platform, that peace isn't coming anytime soon, and that their aggression towards us is not going to stop. So, we do have to realistically consider the option of war and prepare accordingly. However, my priority will always be acting on the best interests of the region. No matter what course we decide to take, I will do everything in my capacity to make the best possible decisions for our community.

2. I wouldn't, no. If there came a point where the region had to decide on recalling me, I think it'd only be fair to excuse myself.

3. I would be able to vote reasonably on time, yes. While I'd be around six hours ahead of US East Coast time, that means voting would take place mostly in the morning, which is not an unrealistic time frame at all.

4. Yes, I'd offer any full explanation needed if I do miss a vote.

What do you think about the gameside voting program being worked on in the WAA Ministry? Do you intend on seeing it continue?

I think any gameside engagement is worth maintaining if the outcomes positively justify it and it does not become impractical. In this case, it is definitely worth taking more opinions into account when it comes to our World Assembly vote, and I intend to ensure such efforts continue throughout the term. Looking at RMB activity in the TNP Gameside Voting Box however, I notice the last post there was almost a month ago and the actual engagement there does not seem as high as it could be. Improving gameside engagement in regard to our WA votes should be a priority, so I am open to discussions which might identify what the issues are with the current system and experiment with solutions to try and fix them. If we can make timely improvements and see positive results within that system, then by all means it should continue.

Do you already have a cabinet in mind?

Cabinet arrangements must be realistic and flexible as people decide how they'd best spend the next four months. So, I'm taking into account multiple factors such as availability, experience, and ambition in discussions with potential cabinet members, and will continue to do so until those positions are finalized. Any candidate for Delegate almost inevitably has to consider additional options and pursue further discussions where needed, but I can assure you that I am confident in my ability to go through that process and assemble the right team.

Thank your your responses.
3. This is definitely something I would consider, but I'd need to know that the pool of potential and willing Senior Diplomats was great enough to justify it. There are dozens within our ranks that could be described as Senior Diplomats based on their experience, but does that necessitate a re-implementation? I'd definitely have the discussion with ministry leadership and assess with them the current presence of experienced diplomats within the staff. If our impression is that reintroducing some form of Senior Diplomat role would be beneficial and practical, it'll happen. However, a potential alternative would be the expansion of the ministry leadership core, in the case that there aren't enough experienced diplomats willing to fill a new role. If ministry leadership identify a member of staff who is particularly capable and offers great recommendations on a consistent basis, perhaps giving them the opportunity to prove themselves further as a deputy would be better than the pressure of a Senior Diplomat title.
What I was referring to was a body that could exist in a purely advisory capacity with no expectation to conduct talks with foreign officials or to manage diplomatic portfolios. Perhaps the Senior Diplomats existed in a different form when you were around, but in my conception I do not see any "pressure" that would come with the role.

Cabinet arrangements must be realistic and flexible as people decide how they'd best spend the next four months. So, I'm taking into account multiple factors such as availability, experience, and ambition in discussions with potential cabinet members, and will continue to do so until those positions are finalized. Any candidate for Delegate almost inevitably has to consider additional options and pursue further discussions where needed, but I can assure you that I am confident in my ability to go through that process and assemble the right team.
I'm assuming this means yes, you do have a cabinet in mind.

Thank your your responses.

What I was referring to was a body that could exist in a purely advisory capacity with no expectation to conduct talks with foreign officials or to manage diplomatic portfolios. Perhaps the Senior Diplomats existed in a different form when you were around, but in my conception I do not see any "pressure" that would come with the role.

Thank you for clarifying your question a little further. In regards specifically to the possible reinstatement of a purely advisory body such as the Senior Diplomats, I'm not convinced current avenues for discussion between staff and ministry leadership do not already provide that. I think anyone who we could ascribe that sort of new role to is contributing to discussions through existing channels already, but I'd certainly be open to it if the demand emerges within the ministry.

I'm assuming this means yes, you do have a cabinet in mind.

Having a cabinet in mind is more of an iterative process, but yes.

Last edited:
Kasch, since your resignation as Minister of Communications, you seem to have been somewhat absent from public life and executive government. Can you explain why you've decided to run for the most demanding job in the region?

In addition, I have a few questions about your platform:
I’d like to implement further integration of High Command members into the recruitment and training process. It is essential for NPA recruitment that we have a culture of encouragement and enthusiasm for our military operations, and that happens from the top down. I believe teaching can be a great way of solidifying existing knowledge, and strengthens the abilities of all the soldiers in our ranks. It would be my top priority when it comes to the Ministry of Defense to turn the NPA into one of the most capable and welcoming militaries in all of NationStates.
In this paragraph titled "High Command Integration", you started with suggesting the integration of High Command members into recruitment and training, but then spent the rest of the paragraph on some generic platitudes that don't really say anything. Can you explain how you envision High Command members being more integrated into the recruitment and training process?
On the topic of a potential state of war with TCB/BoM, it is crucial that we get our recruitment process right. This starts with our media output: we need to be celebrating the NPA as far and as wide as possible, whether that’s on the RMB, Discord, or forums. In addition to this, we need to be improving our outreach. The RMB is one of our most active regional areas and we can certainly do more to advertise the benefits of joining the NPA on a regular basis, as well as through Discord, the forums, and our Home Affairs lists. Reaching out to former NPA members, or those who showed interest but recently stopped, to see what we can do to get them back into our ranks will also aid this effort. Overall, there are so many ways we can build upon the success we saw in our recruitment towards the end of last term, we just need to dedicate ourselves to those causes and we will boost our ranks in no time at all.
Comfed has put in substantial effort into recruitment for the NPA and tried out a variety of ideas since becoming Minister of Defence. As a Deputy Minister during this term, can you offer any specifics on anything you've learnt from this term?
Firstly, instructional case studies, both in written and possibly video format, could prove immensely informative for junior diplomats in teaching some of the key lessons in foreign affairs. One of the key problems with training staff in foreign policy is the abstraction of real relations. With such case studies, an explanation of the actual application of theory would remove this layer of abstraction and allow staff to gain deeper insight into the decision-making processes of leading foreign policy staff. If a junior diplomat is interested in learning about foreign affairs, and asks senior diplomats to explain the course of action taken in a specific circumstance, I believe we should be able to provide the right answers and encourage them to keep learning. This would require planning alongside senior diplomats and ministry leadership, but I think expanding the ways in which we teach our diplomats is extremely important.
For something aimed at removing abstraction, this all sounds very abstract to me - can you perhaps provide an example on what past events can be used as case studies, and what theories can be taught?
And finally, the position of diplomat is fairly underutilized as the only real responsibility they hold currently is distributing announcements and publications, which needs to change. It is more important than ever for diplomats and staff to feel more involved in the process of foreign affairs as the gameplay landscape continually changes. This means being included in more discussions around events, treaties, embassies, and decision-making.
Do you envision this to be a situation where diplomats are asked to participate in talks with their assigned regions, or is this supposed to be more broad?
The World Assembly Acceleration Program stagnated from May onwards last term, but I do believe it is one of the ways in which the ministry can look to improve. Aside from the regular IFV writing, voting threads, and other ministerial ongoings, encouraging staff to approach mentors about ideas, even if they don’t immediately succeed, is going to be something that needs exploring further. A possible expansion of the leadership core could aid in this, with more deputies appointed to address specific areas of the ministry.
Do you believe it is more important to encourage staff to come up with ideas and join the acceleration program, or more important to keep track of progress with those who have already submitted ideas to the program?

For Culture, what do you think are the factors and make a festival a success or failure?

For Home Affairs, do you believe there is anything we should do to improve the mentor program?

For Communications, what do you envision the written publication structure for the ministry to be like?

Over the past two terms, it's become clear that certain allies (and now former allies) of TNP, don't respect TNP enough to not engage in petty gangsterism, threatening or extorting the region with consequences for not doing what they want. Do you have the spine to stand up to these attempts, and were it to happen during your term, what would you do?

Thank you for the questions, Gorundu.

Kasch, since your resignation as Minister of Communications, you seem to have been somewhat absent from public life and executive government. Can you explain why you've decided to run for the most demanding job in the region?

I knew I needed to resign to bring attention to the circumstances we'd found ourselves in surrounding the delegacy, so I definitely felt frustrated that my time as Minister of Communications ended without that home stretch period. Then, when I was not asked to rejoin the cabinet in the position after your resignation, I very much felt like I needed to take a step back and think about what I wanted to do for the rest of the term. While I may have seemed more absent than usual at the time, I was actually observing the executive, researching our region's biggest current challenges, and steadily building a set of plans which have resulted in the platform above. I've decided to run for the most demanding job in the region because I believe I have the experience and the leadership skills to address the issues ahead of us: infrastructural collapse, potential war, executive stagnation, and waning recruitment just to name a few. I have decided to run because I know I have the ability to formulate the ideas we need not only to solve those problems, but to progress beyond them and improve.

In addition, I have a few questions about your platform:

In this paragraph titled "High Command Integration", you started with suggesting the integration of High Command members into recruitment and training, but then spent the rest of the paragraph on some generic platitudes that don't really say anything. Can you explain how you envision High Command members being more integrated into the recruitment and training process?

Okay, so recruitment has picked up as of late, but often only through singular efforts of outreach by the Minister of Defense or maybe by one or two HC members. While those singular efforts should continue, what we need is a more collaborative recruitment and training effort within the ministry, which I believe starts with High Command. For example, HC members would be encouraged to advertise the NPA and answer questions about our military on the RMB as a form of recruitment, and they'd be the first to welcome new recruits when they join, alongside the MoD. Members would partake in more frequent one-on-one or group training exercises to show new recruits the ropes and help them progress through the ranks, and generally be a source of wisdom for recruits when they have concerns, questions, or feel uncertain about what to do in any given situation. Ultimately, my aim is to build a stronger connection between those who have experience in the NPA and those who do not, with the intention of assuring new recruits of our support and our willingness to teach them.

Comfed has put in substantial effort into recruitment for the NPA and tried out a variety of ideas since becoming Minister of Defence. As a Deputy Minister during this term, can you offer any specifics on anything you've learnt from this term?

Yeah, so firstly our regional exposure needs to improve, which means better and more frequent operation reports through all practical avenues of distribution. People need to see the NPA wherever we can show them if we want to aid recruitment. Secondly, we need to expand our rewards and incentives. That effort includes new ribbons, most likely at the lower ranks, to encourage sticking around, but also includes well-designed ribbons for larger operations. Next, as I mentioned in my previous answer, we need to be reaching out not only on the individual level, but on a larger level. We need to identify as many groups as possible that we should be reaching out to so we can boost our numbers on top of any recruitment telegrams put out by Home Affairs. I noticed the immediate impact reaching out to citizens can make, but it's also about retaining those recruits at a higher rate. And finally, we need to better emphasize the benefits of joining the NPA and tell a story about what being a soldier means. R/D is a fast-paced, highly-influential, and exciting area of the game that can at times be decided by the millisecond, or over weeks of back and forth between opposing forces, and that needs to be felt by new recruits if we want them to stick around.

For something aimed at removing abstraction, this all sounds very abstract to me - can you perhaps provide an example on what past events can be used as case studies, and what theories can be taught?

As a region, we're going through what could be a future case study right now, specifically in how tensions escalate between historically-opposed regions towards war and how diplomacy could mean victory or defeat. Another perfect example would be the breakdown of the Aurora Alliance, in teaching about the deterioration of long-standing relations between two regions and the key points along the way which further drove the wedge between ourselves and TSP. The more I think about it, the more applications this really does uncover; we can draw lessons from many notable diplomatic events over the course of our history and teach those lessons to staff, but the more recent and relevant the events were to our current situation as a region the better. Essentially, the sole function of these case studies would be to take any abstract advice given by ministry leadership and experienced diplomats, and provide examples where that advice has actually been applied, with the aim of teaching newer diplomats foreign affairs in a more practical way.

Do you envision this to be a situation where diplomats are asked to participate in talks with their assigned regions, or is this supposed to be more broad?

The idea is to include diplomats more frequently and wherever practical, so the position of diplomat itself can be more of a stepping stone to further levels of Foreign Affairs than just a publication distribution service. If that means participating in talks with assigned regions, should the MoFA deem it beneficial, so be it. If it means helping plan cultural events with their assigned region, then definitely. Inclusion should extend however far the MoFA and deputies believe it would benefit an assigned diplomat to participate, but I definitely want the role of the diplomat to expand in that direction.

Do you believe it is more important to encourage staff to come up with ideas and join the acceleration program, or more important to keep track of progress with those who have already submitted ideas to the program?

Getting any proposal to submission standard takes a lot of research and a lot of work, even for experienced authors, so I think overall it is more important to make progress on the ideas that are closest to submission standard than to increase drafting workloads by encouraging too many new ideas, especially whenever there aren't enough mentors to effectively deal with them. But ultimately, it would depend on how many submitted ideas there are, and how much work would be required to get those ideas to submission standard.

For Culture, what do you think are the factors and make a festival a success or failure?

Planning, promotion, and execution are the three main factors that come to mind here. Poor planning can fail a festival before it even starts; clear themes are needed, activities have to be set up, and the timing needs to be right. However, good planning means nothing without significant promotion ahead of time. A festival is much more likely to fail if attendance numbers are not at their potential maximum, which means reduced activity. Execution is the final factor here, which ultimately determines whether a festival fails or succeeds. You can have all the best planners and event promoters in the world, but if your execution is off, that's how the festival will be remembered.

For Home Affairs, do you believe there is anything we should do to improve the mentor program?

I do think the mentor program could use more active mentors than there currently are, and also perhaps a review of outreach materials. We need to take a look at our retention rates based on which types of messages and guidance we're sending and see where we could be going wrong. We could also ask current forum members who were approached by mentors what worked for them, and what could be improved. Other than that, I think the mentor program is operating fairly well for its intended purpose.

For Communications, what do you envision the written publication structure for the ministry to be like?

TNS, TNL, and TNN. The North Star was our flagship publication last term and continuing with the level of quality in content and design should be the bare minimum. The Northern Light often proves the hardest to finish, but that's because we expect the absolute best. It can be done, but communication between ministry leadership and writers has to be a top priority so we can hit our deadlines. I also think reaching out to writers outside of TNP which have specific knowledge on an article topic should be invited to write for us more, as has been done in previous editions. And finally, I do want The Northern Notes to continue as a much shorter but still informative publication on smaller news items than would be included in TNS. I'm thinking with average section lengths of about two sizable paragraphs this should be totally doable.

Over the past two terms, it's become clear that certain allies (and now former allies) of TNP, don't respect TNP enough to not engage in petty gangsterism, threatening or extorting the region with consequences for not doing what they want. Do you have the spine to stand up to these attempts, and were it to happen during your term, what would you do?

The freedom of The North Pacific to make its own decisions without facing threats or extortion is without a doubt the most important aspect of our sovereignty as a community, and I would stand up against any such attempts completely. Whether those threats were in the World Assembly, on the military landscape, within our diplomatic network, or anywhere else for that matter, I would make sure our independence is upheld.

The idea is to include diplomats more frequently and wherever practical, so the position of diplomat itself can be more of a stepping stone to further levels of Foreign Affairs than just a publication distribution service. If that means participating in talks with assigned regions, should the MoFA deem it beneficial, so be it. If it means helping plan cultural events with their assigned region, then definitely. Inclusion should extend however far the MoFA and deputies believe it would benefit an assigned diplomat to participate, but I definitely want the role of the diplomat to expand in that direction.
Given that the entry-level position of ambassador comes with very little vetting, how would you ensure that (a) confidentiality in diplomatic talks is respected and (b) negotiations are conducted by competent and knowledgeable diplomats?

Given that the entry-level position of ambassador comes with very little vetting, how would you ensure that (a) confidentiality in diplomatic talks is respected and (b) negotiations are conducted by competent and knowledgeable diplomats?
Whether or not an ambassador is included in diplomatic talks, as to ensure respect for confidentiality and competence of the included diplomat, would be decided by ministry leadership based on a number of factors. If the talks are of a highly-sensitive nature pertinent to regional security, an ambassador would not participate unless they had a significant, involved history serving as ambassador to that region and were deemed experienced enough by ministry leadership not only to join the talks, but to make useful contributions to the discussion. However, if the talks were not of a sensitive nature, related perhaps to seeking minor agreements, clarifications, or cultural planning, it'd be more likely an ambassador participates such that they can learn from it and it is decided by the MoFA that there are no risks to confidentiality within that inclusion.

Serving as TNP Delegate has turned into a pretty big job. If I had to do it, it would likely take a significant time commitment. What would you anticipate your availability over the next few months will be?

Serving as TNP Delegate has turned into a pretty big job. If I had to do it, it would likely take a significant time commitment. What would you anticipate your availability over the next few months will be?

Life is busy and gets busy, but I've done most of the forward thinking and can assure you I will have the time and availability for the position. I've looked over all of the dates that make up the term, identified regular NS/TNP commitments, noted down any irregular or one-time commitments, and compared them to any real life commitments I have. Crossover is inevitable but I have not identified any period where my availability would be of reasonable concern.

What counts as 'of reasonable concern'?

Any period where the crossover between RL and NS would mean I'd significantly struggle to or could not perform the duties of the position. I have not identified any periods like that.

Any period where the crossover between RL and NS would mean I'd significantly struggle to or could not perform the duties of the position. I have not identified any periods like that.
This is still quite vague. What does 'significantly' mean in this instance? How long does a period have to be to qualify as a time where there would be a reasonable concern? Have you identified any periods of times shorter than this where you may significantly struggle to perform the duties of the position and how long might they be?

You're probably going to win the election, but until you complete a full term, I'm not sure I'll ever not be concerned that you might dip at any moment.

This is still quite vague. What does 'significantly' mean in this instance?

There are no periods next term, whether just one day or more, where I'd be concerned about my availability. 'Significantly' in this context means I have not identified any time next term where the crossover between RL and NS would worsen my decision-making or mean I cannot access the forums or NationStates.

How long does a period have to be to qualify as a time where there would be a reasonable concern?

It could be any length depending on the importance of the decisions that need to be made within that period.

Have you identified any periods of times shorter than this where you may significantly struggle to perform the duties of the position and how long might they be?

No, I have not.

Back