-
Deputy Speaker
-
-
-
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
let me hear you say ayo

Yes, that is how I'm starting this opening address. Why? Because culture is both easy and fun. Everything we do is cultural. Take part in an event? That's culture. Play some games? Culture. Talk on the RMB, forum or discord? That's culture baby.

And in a bold departure from every other opening address or election platform I've posted in the last few years, we have got reasons to be happy. We go reasons to upbeat. We got reasons to go out and do things. It's the summer term, so let's not treat it too seriously and let's get ready to have a party.

First things first, a thank you to my predecessor @Dreadton who in his short time in office was able to lay the groundwork for some of the things we're going to be doing - like re-engaging with friends and allies in events both big and small as well as adding three RMB RP moderators to the Gameside Advocates team. These are welcome developments and I see no reason to reverse them. I'll be keeping the GA team as it is for now and will promptly report any changes as required.

Secondly, in his election platform the delegate identified two areas pertinent to culture, and we'll be continuing to pursue both of them. As a reminder, here is what he said:
Building connections with Gameside
I believe that the Delegate has a personal responsibility to build a relationship with the gameside players. Although Gameside Advocates play useful roles, the Delegate can and should build a more personal relationship with this somewhat neglected constituency. Simple chats or impromptu question times would go a long way to letting gameside players, many of who are relatively new, feel connected to the leadership of the region.

Gameside Advocates still play an important role, of course. Much of the goals I have presented so far require some amount of active promotion and engagement, from press releases to news articles to projects and events, and the gameside community too needs to be kept informed. Gameside Advocates would also play a large role whenever RMB-based events, large or small, are organised, advertising the opportunity heavily and reaching out to potential participants.

Diversifying cultural activities
I believe the key improvement we can make to the Ministry of Culture is to make smaller activities and events a more regular occurrence and more diverse in options, so that there’s always something interesting to do. To that end, I hope to implement a formal Culture schedule with a multitude akin to what’s been run in the past. Because repeated events can quickly lead to interest waning, it’s important to maintain a fresh arsenal of ideas. There should be activities for all three of our most used platforms - RMB, Forum and Discord - and this will be a major focus for Culture. Discord events can include those we have done in the past, such as Music Mondays and Theme Thursdays, as well as lesser-tried ones such as jackbox games or even Discord’s own games feature. Forum and RMB events could include games such as continue the story or small creative contests that don’t have to require great effort from the participants. One potential type of forum thread which I think could be popular is where you're asked to do something and share it, like taking a quiz or sharing your best ChatGPT response for a particular type of prompt. We could also encourage people to post about their hobbies, like Marcus has been doing consistently with his trains and planes.

So as well as our usual events - music monday will still be around, as will theme thursday but maybe not as weekly events. Instead they'll fit overarching themes for what we're planning to do that particular week. The aim is to have at least one of those every week, along with a weekend question/poll on the RMB, and forum threads in the community centre. Along with that, we're also actively involved in smaller gaming events with our friends and allies in The Rejected Realms - on the 10th of June we'll be doing a game of Popmaster over in TRR's discord, I've participated in a few and they're always quite fun.

But our first major event starts right now. I'm declaring this week to by Hobby Week where we want you to show off and talk about your favourite hobbies, or just stuff you enjoy. Make your discord avatar or forum avatar or in-game flag related to your hobby, let us know about it, talk about it on the RMB or on discord, make a post in the community centre about it - @Marcus Antonius has a great thread about model railways that you should all read. It's great.

At the weekend, Culture will be collecting up all the various posts and pictures and avatar and flag changes and doing a big summary, and shouting all of you interesting folks out.

It's going to be a really cool summer guys. Get on board.

Last edited:
Ayo. I like board games. That's my hobby. I'm available to play *literally right now* if anyone else is interested. Just DM me.

Ayo, how great MadJack! First of congrats and second I can't wait for the great term.

The hobby week sounds interesting and certainly exciting as well! Can't wait to hear more little hobbies and share my own :3

Back