[Inaius, Closed] The Ties that Bind

Predice

TNPer
OOC Note:
Hey all! Pred here.
This is a story meant for more mature audiences. The general theme of the story will be happy, but there will be themes of violence, loss, trauma. Please keep this in mind and if you are affected by these things, consider discretion.
Thank you!
With that out of the way, please enjoy The Ties that Bind.

Chapter I: Memories

ASFS Ardent
1800 Hours

I stand outside the CAG's quarters, handwritten request in my hands, contemplating if I should knock or just leave. After a little contemplation, I raise my hand and give the door a couple of knocks.
"Door's open." a voice comes from inside.
I open the door and walk in. The room is well furnished, wooden fittings, a painting, bookshelves, leather upholstery. The desk has a miniature model of a Stardancer Mk.IX, and multiple neatly ordered stacks of papers.
"Ah, Andy! Please, come, sit. What can I do for you?" the Officer says, gesturing at the chair in front of his desk.
"Captain Hendriks." He cuts me off.
"Come on, just call me Thomas, please." he says, warmly. I clear my throat.
Sitting down, I begin to speak: "Thomas, I have a request, here," I give him the paper.
"I know it's a bit much to ask but I really need this."
As he reads through the paper, his warm expression sours somewhat.

"So let me get this straight, Lieutenant Commander. You want the entire week we're docked at the station as shore leave?" he asks me, with a clear voice.
"I..." I pause for a second. My pained look is all too obvious to Thomas, as his expression warms again.
"Andy, what is this about?" he asks me, concerned.
"Well..." Emotions begin flowing out. I swallow the tears as I try to get some words out: "It's a personal matter, sir."
His eyebrow begins to rise.
"Thrace, tell me. What's wrong?" he asks, with care in his voice.
The tears can't be swallowed down this time, and I let out a big sigh as several tears begin flowing down my cheeks.
"I... well..." I try to compose myself, considering if I should tell him the truth or not, before continuing: "A lot of memories have come flooding back, recently." I know it is only half of the truth, but I hope he won't pry further.
He looks at me, shooting me a caring look, before standing up and coming across to my side of the desk. I stand, and he embraces me, saying: "I will sign off on your request, but I have a request of my own."
I collect myself for a moment, before replying: "What would that be?"
"Can we agree that after we're out of here, I have a volunteer for the oh-four-hundred alert Stardancer rotation for a couple weeks?" he answers, playfully.
"You know I hate that shift, but you strike a hard bargain. We can do that." I reply, in agreement.
"Good. You may leave." he tells me, pulling away from the embrace.
I begin to walk out, and as I open the door, he says: "Hey, Andy?"
"Yeah?" I answer, turning around.
"Try talking to her." he says, before pausing for a moment.
My stomach feels like it is doing a backflip, and all sorts of emotions start flowing through me. My one thought is "how did he know??"
"I'll see you in a week, Andy." he says, finally allowing me to leave.
"Y-yeah. You too." I say as I stumble out of the room. My thoughts race at a mile a minute as I support myself on the wall, trying to recover.

Pioneer Station
The next day...

Pioneer station was a common place for us to dock. We'd load up on supplies and make routine maintenance on the ship. I'd been here a few times before, and I knew some people. Walking through the streets of the station, a bar catches my eye.
"Old Willy's Pub"... I decide to investigate. Walking over to the door, it seems the place is not open for business, but the door is open and there's a familiar face inside. No other option but to walk in! The place looks like it's seen better days, with some faded paint around, but in all, it has its own little charm to it.
A weathered man sitting behind the bar raises his head "We're clos-" he begins to say, but when he sees me he stops.
"Andy, is that you?" the man asks, almost in shock.
"Yeah, Will, it's me. Long time no see" I respond.
"Shit, no kidding huh? Not since you graduated, right?" Will asks.
"That would be five years ago, give or take. Yeah."
"Feels longer!" Will quips.
I throw him a smirk
"I bought the place a few years ago." he tells me.
"How come I've never seen it before? We docked here often!" I raise my eyebrow, suspiciously.
"Guess you never came to this part of the station to dock, huh?" he answers.
"Guess not. On the topic of the place though, you ever thought about renovating it?" I ask him.
He throws me a rueful look
"Only every day!"

I let out an involuntary burst of laughter. He follows suit.
"Renovating takes permits and money, and I don't got either." he says, pausing for a moment.
"The Government doesn't want to give the little guys the time of day." he finishes, a sad look in his eyes.
"So money is only part of the problem?" I ask, inquisitively. Before he can respond I say: "I could have Steve look at the permit thing for you, pro bono."
"I appreciate that, Andy, but permits won't do me any good if I can't... ah forget it." he waves the topic aside, dismissively.
"You didn't come here to listen to an old man's problems."
"Bet you didn't plan on catching up with your best friend's stepson either." I say, jokingly.
"Ha! Touche." he responds.
"So, is this a bad time?" I ask him.
"Now normally I would say that yes, since we're closed until the evening, this would be a bad time, but you're practically family!" at the mention of family, though, Will's face instantly softens.
"Look, kid, about-"
"Yeah, thanks Will."
"Aww, sit down Andy!" he says, gesturing at the barstool in front of him before pausing for a second, "It's quite a shock seeing you old enough to be here without Paul. Now that was a man that took parenthood seriously."
We both reflect for a moment, as I sit down.
"Step parenting is a tough gig. Paul used to always tell me how proud he was that you called him dad."
Will slides me a glass of brown liquor across the bar. We both reflect silently for a moment before raising our glasses to drink.
"So, don't keep me in suspense! Tell me where you've been since graduation!" he asks me, eagerly.
I collect my thoughts for a moment, smelling the brown liquor in the glass as I think about everything. All the thoughts come rushing in.
"Well... you wouldn't believe me if I told you." I say, earnestly.
"If I had a penny for every time I heard that..." Will pauses for a moment, before mockingly saying: "I AM a bartender you know."
I remain unshaken.
"This story I bet would shock even you."
I down the glass of liquor. It has a smoky taste and nice burn.
"What are we drinking?" I ask, curiously.
"This is a 20 year old Tuolovi Single Malt. I get it at cost for about eleven-hundred ducats." he answers.
"Per bottle?" I ask, shocked.
"Per bottle." he answers.
"I save it for special occasions... and for upselling to high rollers who pay for the whole bottle after two shots."
"Oh? Which am I?" I ask.
"Today? That depends on you." he answers.
"Depends on me how?" I ask, growing slightly agitated.
"Depends on whether your story about the disappearing act surprises me or not!"
His deadpan expression is betrayed by a sly wink.
"Seriously, don't worry about the tab kid, your money's no good here."
I gaze at Will thoughtfully for a moment.
"How long do we have until you open?" I ask.
"About three hours, plenty of time." he answers.
"Wait... where is that crazy sister of yours? Does she know you're here? I really don't need that kind of trouble right now."
My thoughts race and my heart suddenly starts pounding.
"Uuhhhh..."
"I will not have a dust-up like your graduation party at my place of business." he says, seriously.
"I promise, no dust-ups." I respond, heart still pounding, as I look down at my drink.
"I'm gonna hold you to that." he responds.
"So... do you want to hear this or nah?" I ask him.
"Sure, lay it on me." Will answers.
"But since we're on the subject, what is it with you two anyway?" he asks, before adding: "For the life of me, I can't understand how you two couldn't get along."
"Hindsight is 20/20, I guess. At the time we didn't see we were hurting our parents." I say, with a tang of regret in my voice.
"You were so easygoing, it never made sense to me." Will says, meeting my gaze.
"I was far from perfect. It's not like we were always fighting. It started small and then spiraled out of control. It's also connected to where I've been for the past few years, so it's as good a place to start as any." I take a drink before continuing: "My sister and I were very close in the beginning. Love is the foundation anger like this is built on."
"Ya don't say?" Will asks, with a mix of joking and mocking in his voice.
"The opposite of love isn't hate, Will, it's apathy. That kind of resentment takes effort to sustain." I say, looking at my drink.
"Aren't you a bit young to be spouting relationship philosophy, son?" Will looks poised to continue, but thinks better of it.
I look at him for a moment, sadness in my eyes.
"My sister and I were born on the exact same day, you know?"
"I knew you shared a birthday, but the same year? The odds of that!" Will says in response.
"Yeah... I'm older by about three hours. It kinda felt like we were twins as well. She would call me bro or Andy long before our parents got married. She was so sure we were going to be a family." I say in a nostalgic tone. I pause for a moment in silent reflection, before continuing: "The birthday coincidence was what brought our parents together at the start. Mom was working a lot at the Insurance place in Aversville. I remember not seeing her much those days..."

Last edited:
Aversville, Tuolovi
Fifteen years ago.

Lucy Chapman was reviewing insurance results, when she heard voices nearby.
"Something's not adding up," she thought to herself.
Before her thoughts could continue, though, the voices got louder:
"I'll need to finish up before two o'clock. It's my daughter's birthday today."
Lucy's heart dropped like a stone.
"OH SHIT" she thought to herself in a horrible realization.
"No no no no... I've been so focused on work that I forgot my own son's birthday..." her thoughts swirled.
"Morning! Paul Thrace." the man had suddenly made his way over to Lucy.
"Sales and Marketing." he said, extending his hand.
Lucy returned the handshake.
"Lucy, legal."
"Good to meet you. Is this desk free?" Paul asked.
"I don't see any personal belongings and I just need a place to work for the day."
"Nothing at her desk either, so either a visitor or a workaholic." He thought to himself.
Lucy gave him a warm smile, before saying: "You're in luck. That was Tara's desk. She relocated to the Taunton Office last week. I'm visiting myself, I have an office in the Western Wing."
"Do you mind if I settle in here for a little? I'll be quiet as a mouse. You won't even know I'm here." Paul said, flashing his most disarming smile.

"Sales and Marketing, I can always tell. Irritatingly smooth... charm for days." Lucy quietly thought to herself.
"By all means." she said. "Make yourself comfortable, I will be busy, though." her expression saddened a bit. "You've reminded me of something I forgot to do.
"Thank you, Ms. Chapman."
After a little work, which Lucy spent actually desperately ordering things for Andy, she turned to Paul and said: "So... I overheard you saying that today is your daughter's birthday. "
"Yeah, she's turning eight today!" Paul replied, glowingly.
Lucy sat for a moment, mouth agape, before saying "Wait, your daughter is turning eight??? My son, Andrew, turns eight today too!"
Paul rolled his chair over to where Lucy was sitting, fumbling with his phone.
"This is Avalon, she is my everything!" Paul said, showing a picture of Avalon. A girl with red hair and green eyes.
"She's so beautiful!" Lucy exclaimed, "But your wife might have something to say about her being your everything."
Paul's smile faded, and his eyes began exuding a sadness.
"Oh, I shouldn't have said that, I'm so sorry!" Lucy quickly apologized.
"Cancer. Avalon was only two at the time." Paul said, with a heartbroken look in his eyes.
Lucy decided to give Paul a few minutes to collect himself.
"It was tough, especially since I've had to work so much." Paul said.
"Don't beat yourself up about it. I literally forgot about my son's birthday today." Lucy tried to console Paul.
"Well, Avalon only reminded me this morning as well." Paul replied.
"I stopped by a place on the way to the office and got her card." Paul continued.
"Ah, that is exactly what I wanted to ask you about! I have everything else covered but I would like to pick up a card on the way back home. Can I ask where you got yours?" Lucy asked.
"Unfortunately this won't help much. I got mine from a kiosk near my place at midtown." Paul said, pulling out a card with Starliners on it.
"They didn't have anything more feminine, unfortunately."
"Ah, damn. Well, if I have to pull a rabbit from my hat, I better get moving then." Lucy said, standing up.
Paul smiled reassuringly, returning to his desk
"For what it's worth, I think you're underestimating Andy. Kids are resilient. They survive their flawed parents every day." Paul said, thinking for a moment.
"Though, I just had a thought, Ms. Chapman-"
"Lucy, please."
"Erm, Lucy. A starliner is more of a boy's thing anyway, right?"
"Yeah, Andy loves them! I would probably have picked out something similar." Lucy replied.
"I could be persuaded to give you this one." Paul said, playfully, shooting Lucy a look, before continuing: "Shall we discuss the terms over a cup of coffee?"
"Mister Thrace-"
"Paul, please."
"Paul, how could I sleep at night, knowing I have messed up your plans for Avalon's birthday?"
Paul could have sworn he heard a flirty note slip into Lucy's voice.
"Well, about that, I pass the same kiosk on the way home. I could just get another one."
"And what would my husband think, were I to get coffee with another man."
"I'd say our children being born on the same day gives us some things to discuss over a latte." Paul replied.
"It's just a coffee, I'm sure Mister Chapman would understand. If it makes you uncomfortable, I can just give you the card and wish Andy a happy birthday" Paul continued.
Lucy's voice got a lot more playful, as she then said: "Well, if there was a Mister Chapman, then I think he'd be fine with this. I'd love to have a coffee with you, Paul."
"What are we waiting for?" she then asked.
"After you, Lucy." he replied

Stardancer Cafe
Fifteen years ago

The location of this Military themed cafe was very convenient, on the ground level outside the office. Paul and Lucy ordered their beverages and sat down at the nearest empty table.
"So, how many unsuspecting ladies have you lured in with that card trick?" Lucy asked, playfully.
Paul's response was just as playful: "So far, just one! That is getting added to my playbook, though."
"So you don't have hundreds of greeting cards stashed away anywhere?"
"Nah. Mostly full of books, if I'm honest with you. Starliner trips can be long and boring."
"I must say though, it was very kind of you to help me out, Paul."
"Would you have come here otherwise?"
"I... Now that is a tough question to answer." Lucy looked outside for a moment, letting her thoughts run about.
"How about this, I wanted to come, whether you helped me or not. The card probably got you close enough to ask, though." Lucy said, turning her head back to Paul.

"I can live with that!"
Paul took out the card and slid it across the table to Lucy.
"You know, Paul, I've barely known you an hour, and you have already helped me out thrice."
"Thrice? I just gave you the birthday card."
"Well, first you reminded me that it's my son's birthday today-"
"That was an accident."
"Shut up. Secondly, you offered me that birthday card, and thirdly, you got me away from that desk."
"A toast then, to unexpected friends. In sales, kindness is transactional."
"So the moral of the story is that sales people only do good things by accident?"
"Something like that... I'm happy with how this turned out, though."
"No ulterior motive at all?" Lucy asked.
Both fell silent for a couple of minutes, sitting in thought, sipping their drinks.
Paul broke the silence: "If there was a mister Chapman, how would he feel about this?"
"Well, fortunately for you, there isn't one. That's because if there was one, he would not like where this is going." Lucy replied, playfully.
"Where is this going?" Paul asked, playfully.
"I guess we'll just have to meet again, won't we?" Lucy replied, "But so far you're ticking all the boxes."
"I- well. I know it's a bit early for personal conversations, Lucy, but this has me in a bit of a pickle."
"Oh?" Lucy replied, curiously.
"I can't be getting picked up by just any world class lawyer. I'd need certain assurances."
"So you're saying it's me that needs to sweeten the deal? What kind of assurances are you looking for?" Lucy asked, jokingly.
"As a single parent, you know that all the rules go out the window when it comes to dating. Anyone you meet not only has to be compatible with you, but your kids."
Lucy held back laughter.
"What sort of man in his right mind would be interested in a single workaholic mom? I've never even bothered trying."
"Well, to be honest with you, Lucy, this is the third time I've so much as had a coffee with a woman since my wife passed." he paused for a second "Well one that isn't a client anyway."
"Still got me beat. I've been completely absorbed in my work and have had no time for distractions."
Paul leaned forward, looking at Lucy directly in her hazel eyes.
"I'm going to be open with you, Lucy. I've had an eventful day before I even met you today."
"Oh, how so?"
"I was scheduled to fly to Oulea for a symposium this morning. I stopped by Ava's room to kiss her goodbye but she just rolled away from me. When I asked her what's wrong..." Paul paused for a moment. "Well, she said I was leaving on her birthday."
"Oh dear!"
"I guess I should be grateful that she doesn't know that I'd completely forgotten it. Can you imagine how I'd feel if I remembered after touching down on Oulea?"
"You don't need to take a starliner to let down a child who's counting on you." Lucy smiled grimly "Case in point."
"Very true. That's when I decided, right then and there, that I had to do better as a dad."
"Paul, I empathize with everything, but what does this have to do with us having a night out?"
"Everything! This morning was pivotal for me. I cancelled my journey and set up a meeting with my boss tomorrow." Paul looked down for a moment before raising his head again "I'm going to hand in my resignation."
"You're going to resign? Couldn't you take some time off, take a role that involves less travel?"
"I could, but I don't want to. I want to be there for all of Ava's big days now. Thanks to your work, I have enough banked away to start my own business."
"You decided all of it this morning? I envy your resolve. I couldn't decide all of that so quickly. My life practically revolves around my work."
"That is exactly the problem! For you, for me, but especially for Ava and Andy."
"I couldn't leave my work behind like that..." As Lucy said those words though, she could feel the lie in them.
"I totally understand that feeling, but I realized today that there is no reward for my next sale that is worth what I felt this morning."
"But the company needs me here, they're relying on me."
"Okay, let's put it this way, how long do you think the company would take to replace you if you got run over."
Paul's brutally honest words hit Lucy like a truck, but he was right maybe a week, a month at most.
"Look, I'm not suggesting you do what I'm going to do. I'm just reminding you that Andy is only going to be this age once. After all, we only get one shot at being the parents our kids deserve."
Lucy kept out an outer veneer of calmness and contentedness, but on the inside she was burning.
"I..." she tried to say something, but the verbal bucket of ice Paul had thrown at her arrested any such attempts. She relived the shame of forgetting Andy's birthday that morning. A pit in her stomach grew as she tried to remember when she last had Saturday breakfast with him. She acknowledged the increasing closeness between Andy and his nanny in her absence. For the first time since her divorce she recognized an emptiness at the heart of her ambition.
"I don't know!"
"What's important now is that you've asked yourself the question."
The playful mood had gone, and the two silently sipped at their drinks now.
After a few minutes of silence, it was Lucy to break the silence: "Paul, I-"
"Pick you up next Saturday, seven o'clock?" Paul cut her off.
"What?"
"I said next Saturday, not tomorrow."
Lucy laughed nervously. "After that conversation you think a date is still on the table? Besides, I thought you needed assuarances?" she asked.
"You've given me them"
"Still a pretty heavy note to plan a dinner around." she quipped.
"Well, I figure it's now or never, what with me resigning and all that. What if I never saw you again?"
"Let's make a point of you seeing me at least one more time." Lucy said, smiling.
"I'd like that, very much." Paul replied "But I should get going now. Until then, wish Andy a very happy birthday from me and Avalon."
"Thank you."
"I left my card in the envelope. I hope I hear from you. And if you don't call, it was a pleasure meeting you, Lucy."
"I also need to be getting home." Lucy said as they both stood up.
"Four times now." Lucy said, kissing Paul on the cheek.
"What?"
"You've helped me out four times now today. Overachiever. Do you ever quit?"
"I guess we'll have to see each other again to find out." Paul said, as Lucy was already walking towards the door.

Old Willy's Pub
Present day

"I remember that! Your dad and I went to watch a football game the next day. That is all he would talk about." Will says, looking at me.
"Yeah, they really hit it off." I pause for a moment. "And so soon after their date, they decided to introduce Avalon and I. You should have seen her, Will. All dimples and pigtails." I respond.

Before Will can say anything, I decide to continue: "Mom and dad went out again pretty soon after. Paul brought out the playfulness in mom I didn't know she had." I pause again for a moment, to take a drink, before carrying on. "Soon they were seeing each other every weekend. Even as a little kid I could see mom coming out of her shell. She was always ecstatic on date night. I'd bet some serious money that she was the one that made the first move. She was a woman who got what she wanted, once she made up her mind." I take a breather again, and look at the glass. "Ava and I would spend a lot of those nights together as well. It didn't take long before things got more serious."
"Wait what?" Will asks, shocked.
"No you fool, between mom and dad." I reply, mockingly.
"You had me there for a moment, I gotta admit." Will smiles at me.
"But yeah, it got more serious between the two."
"Ugh, don't remind me. Paul was pretty unbearable there for a while." he chuckles "Nothing more pathetic than a middle age guy in love."
"Of course Ava and I got to see our parents a lot more often but some things took getting used to." I say, smirk on my face.

Aversville, Tuolovi
Fifteen years ago

"HAHA Take that noob, headshot!" I said as I dominated this lobby.
"Hey Andy, whatcha playing?" Ava asked me, coming into my room.
"Templar Warrior Two." I responded.
Ava sat down next to me, and said "Andy, I think mom and dad are praying."
"What makes you say that?" I asked.
"The door was locked but I heard mom tell god that she's coming. Do you think they'll make us go to church?" She said
I looked at her with an exasperated face "I sure hope not. That would be boring. Hey, Ava, grab a controller, play a little with me, help me camp this punk."
"Sure thing! Terrorist behind the crate."
"HA OWNED!" we said in unison.

Old Willy's Pub
Present day

"Couple weeks later, my nanny quit her job so she could take a client closer to home. This worked out well because Paul had just left his job. He'd spend his days playing with Ava and I..." I pause for a moment as a flood of memories from the good times overcomes me. "Sometimes it was really fun, other times I'd have to suffer through it. All of that on top of starting his own company."
"Imagine trying to balance building a new family and starting a business at the same time." Will responds, pausing for a moment. "Just opening this bar was more stress than my marriage could handle."
"Well he meant it when he said he would never choose between his family and his job again. He stayed behind the scenes and ran the day-to-day through a close friend." I tell him, earnestly
"He moved in with you guys pretty quick too, huh?" Will asks.
"Yeah. Less than half a year after they met. Ava took the room next to mine. Mom stayed at the company, but her heart wasn't in it anymore. She quit a few months later." I pause for a couple of minutes of reflection.
"You know Will, I've been thinking a lot about fate recently. How one moment in time evolves to a life changing event. The butterfly effect, they call it."
"Like a chance coffee date turning into a multi-billion ducat enterprise?" Will asks.
"No, not quite that..." I zone out for a minute...

Aversville, Tuolovi
Fifteen years ago

I heard my door opening.
"Psst, Andy!" I heard Ava whispering.
"Are you awake? Hey sleeeepy, I know a secret. I went shopping with dad today. We went to a jewelry store. You're going to be my brother... and I already love you."
I felt my lips be grazed by Ava's, and then just as she arrived, she left. I awoke from my half-slumber moments later, to see my door closing to a tiny giggle.

Old Willy's Pub
Present day

"Arem to Andy! You still there?"
"Hmmm? Oh sorry, my mind went someplace else there for a little while..." my heart pounds as I realise what I was thinking about…

Last edited:
Old Willy's Pub
Present day

"You look like you've seen a ghost, Andy!" Will says, looking at me, jokingly.
He's right. My face is pale and my expression exudes both embarrassment and hurt.
I try to recompose myself with another sip of that brown liquor. That manages to do the trick and allows me to continue the story: "So anyway... mom and dad got married later that year. They had their honeymoon at Marathon. That's where the story I promised you really begins."
"Ah, Marathon. That is the best place in our little bit of space." Will quips.
"Yeah. Warm and tropical. Mom and dad ended up buying a summer home there." I pause in reflection. "I've heard that blending a family is difficult, but.. for a time, everything was perfect. Really, everything. Ava and I went to school together every morning. We were inseparable. It was like this for a couple of years."
"Are we getting to the part where you fucked everything up?" Will asks me, his eyebrow rising in anticipation.
"Let me get to that please." I respond.
"So as luck would have it, a sick day was what first came between Avalon and I."
"Fuck, finally, we're getting somewhere." Will says, exasparated.
"Gosh, you need to practice patience." I respond

Aversville, Tuolovi
Fourteen years ago

"Get up or you'll be late for school!" Mom told me.
"I really feel terrible, mom." I said to her.
"And you are absolutely sure this doesn't have anything to do with Templar Warrior Three coming out yesterday?" she responded, raising her had to feel my forehead.
"Why won't you believe me, mom?" I asked in response, before continuing "I really feel bad this time, mom!"
"Mother's intuition? Convenient timing? Not my first day on the mommy job? You certainly don't seem feverish." mom responded, before continuing: "But I will measure it." putting a thermometer under my tongue before leaving briefly.
"Haha, this is my chance!" I thought, smiling. I quickly put the tip of the thermometer against the hot lamp on my nightstand. As I heard mom coming back, I quickly returned it to my mouth.
"Hmm. Maybe you are sick." she said, examining the thermometer. "Fine, you can stay home, but you better rest. No Templar Warrior Three, understood?"
"Yes, mom." I replied.
"Good. I'll see you this evening. Love you!"
"Love you too mom!"
As soon as everyone was gone, I of course fired up Templar Warrior Three and had a day of hardcore gaming. I was sitting near the kitchen window making a sandwich when I heard Ava come back, with a couple of girls. I felt a little bad, but I decided to listen in.
"...because he was sick today, Anne!" I heard my sister yell.
"I'm just saying, it's strange that you spend so much time with him. Wasn't it fun today, just us girls?" I heard an unfamiliar voice. Must be Anne I thought.
"Sure, I guess..." I heard Avalon concede.
"What's your problem with Andy anyway?" I heard another voice interject. That had to be Mads.
"You never talk about my brother like this."
"Because you don't follow him around like a lost puppy!"
"I don't follow Andy around like a lost puppy!" I heard Avalon defend herself.
I sat there, in the kitchen, with thoughts swirling around. Was that what people really thought?
"You don't see it, but everyone else does. People say you're the weird new girl crushing on her step-brother."
"Leave her alone! Nobody says that!" I heard Mads interject in Ava's defence."
"You just haven't heard it because you don't have the right friends. She's never going to fit in if she doesn't ditch her loser brother."
Anna's a spoiled brat, but she's popular was the thought going through my mind. This was Ava's first year after all. I already have a bunch of friends but she only has Mads, I thought. Maybe Anne's right, Ava's never going to be able to make new friends if I'm always in the way. I felt a flash of jealousy, hurt, and anger zap through me. Just as suddenly as it came, it was gone, replaced by quiet resolve.
"I know what I have to do." I said to myself, quietly.
A few minutes later, Avalon walked in, while I was playing Templar Warrior Three , of course.
"Whatcha' playing?" she asked me.
"Templar Warrior Three: Enhanced Combat."
"Let's team up!" she said, enthusiastically.
"I.. I was just finishing up. Pa-Dad asked me to do some chores anyway. You go ahead." I said, handing her the controller.
"But... Andy?" I heard her say as I walked out of the room.

The Next Morning...

"Hey, mom, have you seen Andy?" Ava asked.
"Yeah, he just left for school a couple of minutes ago."
"He was supposed to wait for me!" Ava replied, a tinge of annoyance, and sadness in her voice.
"I thought he did sweetie, you two always walk to school together." mom said, surprised.
"He did it last night too! I think Andy is mad at me for something." Ava replied, pools of water forming at the bottom of her eyes.
"Have you talked to him about it?"
"I tried to, but he keeps making excuses to leave."
"Dad and I will talk to him at bedtime to see what's going on. Does that sound okay?" mom asked.
"I guess..." Ava paused for a second. "I just don't know what I did wrong."

Later that day...

"Hey buddy, how'd ya feel at school today?" dad asked me.
"I felt a lot better but mom still has me on bed rest." I said in response.
"Prove it! Let's see some parkour moves Andy!"
"Watch this!" I said, jumping over my bed. Dad chuckled.
"You're a natural." he said, as mom walked into the room.
"I can't wait to do that class!" I said, excitedly.
"We'll see about that. If your report card is good enough."
"Oh it will be!"
"Say, Andy, Ava is pretty upset that you left for school this morning without her." mom began.
"Is there something going on between you two?" dad asked.
"Well... no." I mumbled for a moment before continuing. "It's dumb. Promise you won't be mad?"
"We promise we'll listen." mom said, alleviating my fears a little.
"So why don't you tell us what's going on?" she contimued.
"I... I overheard Anna telling Ava that she wouldn't make any friends."
"Kids say mean things all the time. Sticks and stones..." dad said, pausing for a moment. "Why'd you let Anna get under your skin?"
"Anna said it's because Ava follows me around like a lost puppy." I paused for a second "At first I was pissed-"
"Language!" I heard my mother interrupt.
"...Angry, but I think she might be kinda right. I don't want Ava to get picked on." I pause for a moment, to try to not give away the sadness inside me. "I.. I'm just giving her a little space so she can make other friends."
"That's... very grown up of a boy your age..." dad said, before continuing: "She's certainly been spending a lot of time with you. Still, this doesn't feel like the right way to change that."
I could tell from the way mom was looking at me, she saw through my brave front.
"I don't like this either..." mom paused for a second "...but at the same time I feel you both are missing out by not cultivating other friendships."
"I don't want to hurt her feelings. She just needs a little push." I said.
"We'll talk to her, but this is not your problem to fix. I'm not even sure if it's a problem to begin with. Andy, please be careful not to push too hard." dad told me.
"We'd hate to see anything come between you two. We've loved watching you two connect." mom followed up.
"I won't, mom." I told her.

Old Willy's Pub
Present day

I sigh. My expression is sad and broken.
"I take it with that sour expression that Paul's instincts were correct?" Will asks me.
"Y-yeah. Ava was furious with me when she found out what I was doing." I respond, looking at my drink.
"This might be the one time that mom and dad miscalculated." I continue, my expression fixed to my drink.
"How so?" Will asks, inquistively.
"Ava took it as a personal betrayal. That's when I really learned how competitive she could be." I say, raising my head to meet Will's gaze.
"Did you try to talk to her?" Will asks, in a tender voice.
"Yeah, of course! You know how it is..." I lower my head towards the drink again. "Whether you talk about it or not, it is still a mistake."
"Sounds an awful lot like you're describing marriage, Andy."
I snort.
"So yeah she never walked to school with me again."
"That sounds pretty extreme for avoiding her a couple of times." Will says, a little doubt seeping out of his voice.
"It was never about avoiding her..." I pause for a moment, looking at the wooden ceiling. "She would have forgiven me for just about anything, except for cutting her out of decisions that affected her apparently..." I say, a pang of regret in my voice.
"Still sounds like we're talking marriage here."
I chuckle. Will always finds a way to cheer me up a little.
"As misguided as I was, it worked. She made a bunch of new friends." I take a drink. "Ahhh... With Ava doing other things, my focus also changed. I gave up video games... mostly. I loved parkour class. Got pretty good at it too! Then Paul convinced me to do youth football."
"Ah, handegg. I used to watch clips of your games with Paul. We thought you'd go pro at one point." Will says, with a little pride in his voice.
"I enjoyed football, but it was never going to be my passion. I had the agility, but not the speed or size to go pro."
"When the fuck'd you get so humble? Training son, you would have gotten there! You had that dog in you."

"I guess we'll never know. But to answer your original question... I guess I always got mixed signals from Avalon." I say, pausing to reflect for a moment. "She'd turn her back to me at home, but then show up to all of my games. Like religiously. Rain or shine." I say, meeting Will's gaze again.
"Even mom and dad had to miss out an occasional match. When I was at football camp, she'd feed my fish without being asked. On our birthday, she always left a nice gift on my bed."
"You had better left one on hers too!" Will says, with a joking anger.
He once again squeezes a chuckle out of me.
"Give me a little credit Will... I'm not stupid." I respond.
"Good, just making sure." Will retorts.
"Moving on... our antagonism was the hardest on mom and dad." I say, sadly, lowering my head towards the drink again. "They always thought they were at fault for messing up a good thing. Or.. at least not stopping me messing up a good thing." I continue
"Well, all of this sounds like she blew it waaay out of proportion." Will tells me, reassuringly.
"As I said, I was far from perfect." I respond.

Aversville, Tuolovi
Ten years ago

I knocked on Ava's door.
"Come in." I heard from behind the door.
I opened the door to find Ava writing something.
"Hey sis, mom wants to talk to you." I said, gingerly.
"What about?" she asked.
"I'm not sure. She was on the phone with Miss Adama talking about a babysitting gig earlier. That might be it." I said.
She sighed, before saying: "Tell her I'm busy. I'll be out in a bit."
"What are you doing?" I asked her, before following up "Is that a diary?"
"What it's not is any of your business, Andy." she quipped.
I decided to try an olive branch.
"You know, dad talked me into keeping a journal too. It's the only way I found that works to organise all of my practices." I said.
Avalon raised her head from the diary for the first time this entire conversation. I could detect the slightest hint of a smile, before it was gone, and her eyes were back on the diary.
"Is that all? Mom asked you to pass along a message, which you have done. Leave." she said, with a lot of attitude in her voice. I couldn't understand what was going on in her head. Maybe if I could get my hands on that diary though, was my first thought. I wouldn't be long until I got that chance.

Three days later...

"Leaving sis? Say it ain't so..." I said, with an obvious twinge of sarcasm
"I'll be babysitting Lee and Kara, if anyone asks." she said, completely seriously in response.
"Why would anyone ask?" I pulled out my full prick mode.
She audibly sighed before saying "Such an ass..."
"Thanks! The extra squats really have been worth it, huh?"
What followed was a disgusted and probably deserved sigh from Ava. That was still a funny joke though.
"I don't know why I even try..." she said.
"Enjoy your cartoon marathon and cleaning up goldfish crackers!" I clapped back.
Ava stayed quiet this time, so of course I had to push a little further.
"Oh hey, Ava, did Lee and Kara cry when they found out you were the babysitter?" I said, with the biggest shiteating grin on my face.
"No, but I do sometimes, when I remember you're my brother." she said, flashing her middle finger at me from behind. The front door slammed soon thereafter.
It was go time. I went into her room, looking for that notebook. There weren't exactly many hiding spots. The room was spotless. I found it behind the big stuffed bear. it was way too easy. I quickly set myself up on the couch, diary in hand. "What is going on in that ginger head of hers..." I said, quietly, opening it up.
It began about six months ago. I'd decided that I had time, so I would go through it from the start.
"Well it finally started. Mads' started when she was 12 and I have been jealous all the time." My eyebrow rose. Was she talking about what I thought she was talking about?
"It was so embarrassing, and there was nothing else I could do, I had to go to the nurse's office." YUCK, nope nope nope. I instantly regretted picking up the diary, but decided to soldier on, skipping past a little, until something caught my eye.
"Sleepover at Mads', this could be interesting..." I said, quietly.
"I spent the night at Mads' place. She invited me over for a "Kosol" binge but instead we just ended up talking. Her dad had some wine so I ended up having a couple glasses. I'm not sure I liked the taste, but I liked that it made me feel relaxed. Afterwards, Mads asked me what I would think about her asking Andy out."
"Whaaaaaa..." I muttered, quietly.
"It's the first time I've ever lied to Mads. I said I'd be fine with it but now I feel sick. She's so beautiful, if she wants him, she'll get him."
"Well, she is beautiful, but she's not really my type. Do I even have a type?" I muttered to myself again.
"After Andy and I drifted apart, I'd share-" There was something heavily crossed out "stuff with her."
"Huh, what?" I muttered yet again.
"We haven't talked about it in a while, but that doesn't mean I've changed. I think Mads knew I was lying because she dropped it pretty quick. But if not Mads, then someone else eventually. How will I feel about that? Maybe it's better if it's Mads and not a total stranger. At least she knows my secrets and will consider my-" something was heavily crossed out again. "opinions. All I know is this sick feeling won't go away."
"Wait, does Ava like me like that? Nah I get her, I'd feel weird about her dating as well. Not because I'm into her or anything. I'm just... protective of my sister. Right?" I muttered yet again.
"Another entry from two weeks ago. This is from that tournament game." I muttered, turning the page.
"Another Saturday watching my brother play this stupid game. Mom and dad went home at halftime to prepare the victory party."
"That was a good game. I scored five touchdowns." I muttered, rolling my eyes.
"Andy took a hard hit in the third quarter. It was a dirty tackle. He got pulled down by his facemask. It was that asshole Michael Toretto from West Side High again."
"That was shady as shit. He was talking smack to me the entire game." I muttered once more.
"My heart stopped when I saw him not moving. Finally, Andy gave a thumbs up and I could breathe again. That's when I felt something snap in me. When Michael was on the bench, I slipped over to the visiting team section. When nobody was looking, I squeezed a whole tube of JointFreeze ointment into his helmet."
"She did what?" I muttered yet again.
"He put that helmet on after the next turnover but wasn't on the field long. Some JointFreeze got into his eyes and he tried to run to the locker room yelling for a medic, but he ran into the girl's lockers by mistake and got manhandled by the cheer coach."
"That was her? That was fucking hilarious!" I quietly said.
"Nobody hurts my-" something is crossed out but legible "Andy family."
"I had no idea she was even paying attention. She never says anything to me, win or lose." I said, quietly once more.
"I wanted to run up and hug him after the game. I was so proud of worried for him, I wish he could see it."
"Ugh, this is starting to feel bad. Maybe I should put her diary back. There is a page ripped out... I could read the impressions..." I said, quietly.
"No. If she felt strongly enough to destroy this page, then she can keep this secret. I'm already going to hell for what I've read. I have a lot to think about. I'm not sure if returning the diary now will keep me from being a total piece of shit, but it's the only card I have left." I thought out loud. Before I could stand up, I heard an ear-piercing scream.
"WHAT THE FUCK?!"
"Whaa..."
"IS THAT MY DIARY?! Andy, were you snooping in my room?" Ava's voice seethed with a menace I'd never heard from her before.
I tried to awkwardly scramble off the couch in a futile attempt to escape.
"Not today, asshole!" she yelled, as the world cartwheeled. It was a familiar sensation, being dive tackled. This time without pads. This was going to hurt.
As the pain subsided, though, I came face to face with her. She was.. beautiful. Her scent filled my nose.
"Give it back Andy!"
"I- I dropped it."

Old Willy's Pub
Present day

"Kids poke into each other's private stuff all the time. I could see her being pissed at you for violating her privacy, but..." Will pauses for a moment "...it's hard to imagine her staying mad at you for long."
"Yeah, well... there was some stuff in there she really wanted to keep private." I respond, smirking.
"Oh, like her batting for the other team, perhaps?" Will asks.
"Whaaaaa..." I respond, taken aback.
"Don't give me that look! That blonde girl at your graduation party!" Will looks at me. My expression remains dumbfounded. "Oh come on! Everyone with a working pair of eyes could see they were more than friends."
"I- I wouldn't know anything about that, Will." I respond, seriously.
"Yeah, yeah keep your secrets." Will jabs at me.

"So what, five years until graduation, right?" he brings us back on topic.
"After the diary incident, yeah." I respond.
"I'm starting to see why you were afraid of running out of time today..." Will pauses for a moment. "So was it a hot war now or still a cold war?" He asks, curiously.
I take a moment to think, before responding: "Both at the same time, to be honest. One day I'd come home to see she'd washed my football uniform and laid it out for me." I pause. "A week later I'd wake up to her dunking my hand in a warm bowl of water. I guess she'd read somewhere that'd make me piss the bed."
"You're shitting me!" Will exclaims, aghast.
"Nope." I respond, earnestly, meeting his gaze.
"Well, DID you?" he asks, shocked.
"Did I what?" I respond with a question, trying to deflect from a very embarrassing situation.
"Piss the bed?" Will asks.
I cough uncomfortably. "Anyway, those provocations did not go unanswered."
Will is silent but his look displays both gratification and shock.
"I'd replace the rolls of toilet paper in her bathroom with duct tape." I say before pausing for a moment to recall a memory. "Once she started driving, I hid her keys in a flower pot in the den one morning."
Will's face shows a flash of realisation. "Yeah, this is all starting to make sense to me now." he says.
"I left clues for her to find them but she still missed school that day." I continue.
"These are pretty typical pranks though." Will says, astutely.
"Yeah, they got progressively meaner though." I say, as my face suddenly displays a look of sadness again.
"We were both just waiting for the other to cross a line that couldn't be uncrossed..." I say, pausing for a moment with a look of pure guilt and regret on my face. "Mom and dad tried their best to play peacemaker. They almost pulled it off."
"With that rueful look on your face though, I don't think I have to guess who crossed that line." Will says, genuinely.
I sigh and cover my eyes with my hand.
"Ahhh." Will just lets out.
"The graduation party blowup had actually been brewing for a few weeks beforehand. You remember, I played baseball the last two years of high school. Just like my football games, no matter how things were between us, Avalon was always there in the stands." I say, looking at my drink, with a whole bunch of guilt and regret coming over me again.
"She was in track right? Did you go to her track meets or was this sports loyalty one sided?" Will asks me an honest question.
"Yeah, she was in girl's handball and winter track. And yeah I was always there, though I tried to keep a low profile. She probably knew I was there anyway."
"I mean this in the kindest possible way kid, but you're an idiot." Will suddenly says.
"What? What makes you say that?" I ask.
"Do the math! Your sister only chose sports that didn't conflict with yours! Whatever you think was going on between the two of you at the time, she loved you. Like really loved you!" Will tells me, exasperated.
"Thanks, Colonel Hindsight." I respond, in a serious tone.
Will and I let a moment of silence hang between us before I decide to continue. I took most of that time to compose myself again, having been on the verge of tears.
"So there were three games left in the season. We were playing Vreysterburg. I hit one on the ground past the shortstop, and turned a hard double into a triple. I looked up into the stands to find Ava, but she wasn't paying attention."
"Homework?" Will asks, genuinely.
"No. Some guy had sat down next to her and she was chatting with him." I answer.
"Pretty girl sitting by herself gets attention! Nooooooooooo..."
"Go fuck yourself... If I'm being completely honest, I was a little jealous." I pause for a minute to collect my thoughts. "I didn't realise how much I counted on her quiet support up until that moment. I also had a bad feeling about the guy. He seemed... beneath her."
"Like lower class?" Will asks, jokingly.
"No, nothing like that. He just came off as a player. As far as I knew, Avalon had never even dated a guy. I guess I figured she'd be more picky when she finally did." I answer.
"Protectiveness and jealousy are an ugly combo, son." Will says, seriously.
"Yeah... and it only got worse." I respond, my expression turning into one full of sadness again.
"They came to my next game together. Every time I looked at her, she was huddled next to this guy talking. Or they'd be head to head laughing at something on her phone." I say, ruefully.
"Was he from your school, you know anything about him?" Will asks me.
"He was from the same school yeah. Jaden Crossfield was the name. I knew of him but only by reputation. He had this sort of angsty rebel thing going on. Getting into fights, breaking rules, that sort of thing. Wore lots of black, had an old ass pre-fall car. We didn't run in the same circles so he wasn't really on my dradis until then."
"Oh, it was that guy!" Will says, making a realisation.
"Yeah, and he was putting in the moves on my sister. I was so focused on them, I struck out twice and missed an easy catch in the seventh." I say, thinking back, with eyes full of sadness and regret.
"And this is when you crossed the line?" Will asks me, eyebrow raised in anticipation.
"No." I tell him. I take a moment's pause. It becomes an uncomfortable silence as I swing between telling him everything and keeping it to myself. I finally decide to tell him.
"Will. What I'm about to tell you is very personal to me. I want you to understand why the graduation party went down like that." I say, looking him in the eyes, serious look on my face.
"...Kid, if you don't want to talk about it-" I cut Will off.
"No. This is at the centre of everything that happened after." I sigh. "So it was the final game of the season... my last game as a student really. And it was the regional championship game against New Market."
"Tough school." Will quips.
"Yeah, we knew the odds... but things didn't shake out the way anyone expected. During the pre-game pep-talk I looked for my sister in the bleachers. She was nowhere to be found. Will, I cannot describe what I felt in that moment." I fall silent for a moment, as the memory washes over me. The wound is almost as fresh as it was back then. "Every game from the day we met up until then she'd been there."
"Maybe she took a page from your playbook and was keeping a low profile?" Will asks, trying to console me.
"No. I knew she was off with Jaden somewhere." I say, my head sinking towards my drink again.
"Must have made it tough for you to focus on the game." Will says, matter of factly.
"As luck would have it? I didn't have to. We won by forfeit. New Market's Coach got caught up in some big scandal. Only half the team showed up to play." I respond.
"Holy fuck, I remember that! It was in the news for a week." Will says, as his face shows a flash of remembering.
"Yeah, well it was East Aversville's first championship. We were so excited. I even wrote off Ava's absence, after all, she didn't actually miss a game. Mom and dad went to help the coaches plan a championship party. I went home to... change."
"Bullshit! You went home to find your sister and tell her the news." Will calls me out.
"Maybe." I respond. "But when I got home, there was an unfamiliar car in the driveway."
"I see where this is going..." Will says, apprehensively.
"When I walked in the house, the whole place reeked of Tomahawk body spray. I'd gotten sick of that scent the past few days. It stuck to Avalon after school. It wasn't surprising that her door was shut. I almost opened it."
"Probably for the best you didn't" Will says, his eyes giving me a compassionate look.
"Actually... It's taken a long time for me to forgive myself for not at least knocking."

Aversville, Tuolovi
Six years ago

"Ahh feels good to get out of that uniform. I'll just hang out until Jaden's gone. Then I can tell Ava the news and we can go to the party" I muttered to myself.
As I fired up my computer, something came through the other side of my wall. Muffled giggling. That turned into laughter.
"Ugh, sounds like things are heating up in there. This is just... awkward." I muttered.
I paced around my room, trying to get my mind off it.
"This sucks. I don't want to hear this, but I also can't turn on the TV or they'll know I'm home. We might be fighting but I don't want to embarrass her with a guy." I muttered as I stared at the ceiling. My guts clenched at the thought though.
"Fuck I feel like I just got gutpunched." I mutter. That's when the audible thumping kicked off.
"Is she...? How could she..? Why do I care? What the fuck is wrong with me?" I whispered to myself, as the thumping started to get a rhythm.
"I... I gotta get out of here" I whispered to myself as I pulled a pillow over my head.
Then I heard glass break.
"AVA!" I screamed, at the top of my lungs.
I rushed into the hallway just quickly enough to see Jaden emerging from my Ava's room. I stared at him as he walked out.
"'Sup. How was the game?"
"The game?"
"Uh yeah.. well don't take it too hard. Can't win 'em all." Jaden smirked at me before walking out the door.
"Why him sis, of all the guys..." I muttered to myself.
I turned around and forced myself to look at Ava. She recoiled at the accusation in my glare.
"Andy I'm... I..."
"Save it... None of my business if you want to be a slam piece for that piece of shit." I said, with venom in my voice.
Ava started sobbing.
"Regional champs, by the way. Figured I'd let you know, since... you had someplace more important to be. Catch ya later, 'sis. I'll let mom and dad know you're busy." I said, my words full of hurt and venom.
"Andy, listen!... ANDY, WAIT!!!" my door had already slammed shut.
I slumped to the ground, against my door, and sobbed. Sobbed and sobbed.

Old Willy's Pub
Present day

"Were you upset because of what happened, or because who it happened with?" Will asks, his eyes full of caring and compassion.
"Let me finish, and you can decide."
"There's more?" Will asks, shocked.
"Oh yeah. The championship party was a blur. Mom and dad could see I had just shut down. Paul tried to get me to talk about it, but this wasn't my secret to tell."
"Given how she reacted when you took the Anna thing into your own hands... I'm gonna say you probably made the right call there."
"I thought so too, at the time anyway. The next two weeks were crazy. Wrapping up finals, graduation rehearsal, university acceptance..." I say longingly.
"Wait you got accepted?" Will asks, surprised again.
"Yep, full ride football scholarship to Vreysterburg. And I was an adult so I had access to my trust fund. I could have used that to go anywhere I wanted, really."
"So where did you end up going?" Will asks, anticipation in his voice.
"I'll need another Tuolovi before answering that." I tell him, not a hint of joking in my face.
He quickly fills me another glass.
"Mom and dad assumed I was going to play uni football. I had already decided that I'd take the year off, though. My plan was to winter over in Oulea as a ski and snowboard instructor. I just knew I needed to get away from home and clear my head." I tell him, every word genuine.
"What ended up happening with Ava and that punk?" Will asks before realising he'd come off as insensitive "I mean, besides the obvious."
"I ended up only seeing Ava one time after that. At the graduation party. She did come home beforehand to pick up her dress and shower. My guess is, she was staying with Mads."
"How do you know she wasn't staying with Jaden?" Will asks, intrigued.
"Excellent question, Will! This is really the answer you've been looking for since I sat down." I tell him, regret beginning to creep back into my voice.
"Fucking hell Andy, out with it already!" Will says, impatiently.
"While she was showering, I waited in her room for her to finish. I didn't know how to deal with how I felt after Jaden left. Between that and the things I'd read in her diary, it was time for us to talk."

Aversville, Tuolovi
Six years ago

"I'll just wait here for her to finish." I said to myself quietly, sitting at the end of her bed.
"Fuck, I'm nervous, the fuck am I even gonna say? 'Hey we haven't talked in a while, whatcha been up to?' Fuck no! 'What are you doing step sis?' Gah! that's terrible, and fucked up." her phone buzzed. "'I'm sorry Ava, I don't know what was going on in my head, can we talk about it before the party?' That could work..." My thoughts were once again interrupted by her buzzing phone.
"Shit shit shit it's like the diary all over again. She's going to kill me if she catches me snooping... please let it be leg shaving day." I muttered as I picked up the phone.
"Your birthday as your passcode? Tsk tsk. God damn it Ava we're going to have to talk about safety after. Let's see who's blowing up your phone. Hooly shit that is a wall of text." I muttered to myself again.
"Jaden, of course."
"Hey...
We need 2 talk
Ava talk 2 me
Come on Ava
Ava WTF let's be adults"
"FUCK OFF JADEN
I SAID STOP AND U KEPT PUSHING! I thought u were going to rape me."
"Don't be dramatic UR overreacting"
"THE FUCK I AM NO MEANS NO"
"U led me on and then u went all cold on me"
"U ripped my shirt! Wud u have stopped if u didn't hear my bro come home Doubt..."
"Yeah cuz gym muscles scare me."

"You fucking piece of shit. You are a dead man walking. I am about to rip your fucking guts out you scum." I muttered to myself as I kept going.

"Enuff about him come out front in 10 and we'll talk this out."
"NO WAY i'm getting in a car with u after that."
"1 more chance. pls?"
"It's not just what u did. I wasn't feeling it with u"
"U were, u just won't admit it 2 urself. Give me another chance to prove it."
"I don't think there's anything u can say to fix this its not all about u"

My blood continued to boil. "FUCK YOU, You are way past that you date raping fuck." I muttered to myself, perhaps a little too loud.

"WDYM"
"Its personal and its complicated. I need some space."
"Let's talk at the party 2nite. Lots of ppl around. You owe me that much at least"

"She doesn't owe you shit, you fucking prick."

"I owe u a kick in the balls for the last time I saw u"
"Pls? I leve if it gets awk"
"No promises. I'll hear u out but that's IT"
"TY Babe! CUL8ER 2nite!"

I momentarily saw red, and heard the sound of my heartbeat in my ears.
"The fuck you will!" I muttered glancing towards the living room.
I carefully replaced Ava's phone and left the room.

A few hours later...

"Hey there Andy!"
I stayed silent.
"Are you alright there, son?"
"Hey kid! We didn't think you were... uh oh..."
"ANDY! You made it, son... Buddy, what's wrong?"
I ignored everyone as I turned towards Ava, talking to Jaden in the corner of the room.
"Andy!"
All of their voices were like echoes.
"...I turned off into the drive-thru, and the dumbshit cop shot right past me..."
Mads' face alerted Jaden that something was off. He turned around to see me, fire burning in my eyes.
His face quickly twisted into the trademark smirk I'd grown to hate.
"Yo Andy... well I was almost right. I guess you didn't lose but you didn't really win either. Does a title really mean anything if you didn't actually beat anyone for it?"
"I'm not here to talk, Jaden." I responded, gritting my teeth. The sound of my own voice seemed distant and emotionless
"I'm here because of what you did to my sister."
Ava and Jaden exchanged bewildered looks.
"What are you talking about, son?" I heard my dad's voice from across the room.
"Jaden was here with Avalon when New Market forfeited." My response was a chilly monotone. My eyes never left Jaden.
"Andy stop! Let's talk about this..." I heard Ava's voice pleading with me.
As my parents looked at me expectantly, Ava's eyes begged for my silence.
"This scumbag tried to have his way with Avalon. She only barely fought him off."
"WHAT?" I heard my dad's voice from across the room again.
"Is it true, sweetie?" I heard my mom ask.
"He... I.. I don't know! I'm okay... I handled it."
"You handled it?" I heard dad's exasperated voice.
Jaden glanced around nervously.
"Look, we've already worked through this. I would never..."
Everything else he said was gone. My hands formed into fists which I raised to signal that the conversation was over.
"So it's gonna be like that... Now this is a party!" I heard Jaden say, before he sized me up.
"Welcome to the school of hard knocks, rich boy."
His left shoulder dipped slightly, telegraphing his opener. I ducked beneath it and put everything I had into one punch into his diaphragm. I quickly grabbed the back of his head, pulling his face into a vicious upward knee. The room echoed with the sickening thud of bone on bone. Jaden fell backwards at Ava's feet, struggling to stay conscious.
Paul glared down at him, face uncharacteristically grim.
"Get up. You're not welcome in our home, Jaden. You're lucky you got off with a beating, I should be calling the cops." he said.
"Call 'em! All of these people just witnessed your son assaulting me!" Jaden sneered back.
Paul's voice lowered to become cold and menacing: "What do you think a man of my resources would do to protect his family? Think long and hard about that before crossing our paths again."
"You'd better leave. Now." I heard Lucy's voice chime in.
After Jaden was escorted out, I turned to face my sister. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it wasn't the naked rage in her eyes.
"Ava, he..."
"STOP! Don't you say another fucking word!" Her voice seethed with bitterness and rising fury.
"So you thought you'd ride on in here and save the day, huh? Is that it? You called Jaden a scumbag yet he was the one letting me make my own decisions tonight."
"He almost..."
"I'M NOT DONE! Here's the thing... I've gotten really good at taking care of myself. You made sure of that."
"Sweetie, if Jaden did.. those things..." I heard my father's pleading voice.
"NO! You stay out of this dad! This is between me and him. You wanted a son so bad, you never bothered to ask me if I wanted a brother."
"And you! stay the fuck away from me, Andy! The further away, the better!" My heart skipped a beat as I saw the violence in her eyes.
She began punching me in the torso "I. DON'T NEED." before raising her fist to hit me in the face "Your..." she petered out when I caught her fist in my hand. After a few moments, the tension in her body was spent, and her arm relaxed. The fire faded in her eyes. She didn't resist as I gently lowered her arm. With a pained expression, I brought up my other hand to cradle her clenched fist, and then wordlessly I released it and turned to depart.
"Andy wait!" I heard my mother calling back to me. I cast an anguished glance at my mother as I strode towards the door.
Mads hesitated a moment before saying "I'll go after him, make sure he's alright."

Two hours later...

Ava's thoughts swirled: "Leave it to Andy to turn a party into a shitshow... Mom and dad didn't need to go after him. Mads' text said he was fine. But how did he find out what happened with Jaden to begin with? That boy is a mystery. Hot shower, take me away." she sighed. "I'm doing it again. Overreacting in hopes that nobody sees through me. Discovers my secret... Andy did exactly what I needed from him, and I'm punishing him for it. I'm running out of time. In a couple of months we'll be at different schools, and only see each other on special occasions. I can't leave things like this... I need to face whatever this is. I'll talk to him in the morning. If he feels the same way, maybe it's not too late. And if he doesn't... I can try to move on." The thoughts continued swirling, until she resolutely said "Tomorrow, we'll talk."

Early next Morning...

"I guess that's everything. Mads has plenty of time to rush me to Andre Spaceport before rush hour. My flight boards at 5:10AM." I quietly muttered, before sighing. "This is for the best, but mom and dad would never understand. Quiet now. If I wake them up, there'll be questions. I'll miss my window" I muttered as I quietly opened their bedroom door.
"God, they really love each other. Mom couldn't have found a better husband. Or a better father to me." my thoughts rose like a tsunami. "Goodbye mom and dad. I'll miss you. I love you so much." I quietly whispered. "Please forgive me for this..." I left an envelope on their dresser before leaving into the hallway. "Fuck this is hard.." I paused in front of Ava's door. Out of habit, my hand reached for the doorknob, but stopped short. I sighed. "I love you too sis. I always have. For you... I'll stay away," I took a deep breath, ragged with emotion, and then quietly, I slipped out of the house for the last time.

Old Willy's Pub
Present day

"No shit? You just dropped a note and left?" Will asks, shocked once again. "That's cold."
"I was eighteen so my trust fund was accessible. I knew if I stayed, I'd be at Vreysterburg in two months."
"You're leaving things out." Will said, suspiciously.
"Nothing... important. Anyway, I went to Oulea, did a winter of skiing and snowboarding instruction, before going into the Military Academy there. Trained to be a Stardancer pilot."
"No shit huh? Lucy and Paul wouldn't have taken this well."
"There were a few emotional phone calls but by the winter they were resigned to it. Ava never called, but I did get texts for a while. Angry at first, then pleading."
"Son, leaving like that was a shitty thing to do regardless. I was pretty much on Team Andy until now. You need to talk to Ava."
"About that... A week ago, she was assigned to my ship, the Ardent, as a new Stardancer Pilot."
"Whaaaat???"

Last edited:
Chapter II: If there is an Answer...

ASFS Ardent
Three weeks ago...

My phone rings in the middle of the night. I toss and turn, but eventually I pick up.
"This is Lieutenant Commander Andrew Thrace please leav-"
"Andy, it's me. It's Avalon"
"I- what's going on?" I ask, confused and still half asleep.
"They're gone, Andy." I could hear the sobbing on the other end
"What?" I ask, though in my heart I already knew.
"It's mom and dad. They're gone."
"...How?" Thick with emotion, my voice only emerges as a tortured rasp.
"They were... driving around Aversville. I guess dad was driving." Ava is interrupted by her sobbing. "It was foggy. Police said the fog froze the road. They hit a patch of ice, and..." her voice breaks.
I struggle to find the words to respond. To be reassuring, to be comforting, to be anything, but the words just don't come.
"Andy... are you still there?"
Time goes slow, until the avalanche of pain is taken over by a wave of merciful numbness.
"Yeah... still here..." I say as the phone slips out of my hand and drops to the metal floor.

The next morning...

"We'll get you on a Songbird to Tuolovi, Andy." Captain Hendriks tells me.
"I gotta be there within a week." I respond, still not having fully come to grips with what had happened.
"We'll try." Hendriks responded.

Aversville, Tuolovi
Two weeks ago

"Paul and Lucy, we say to you in the midst of our sorrow that we are grateful you lived our lives among us." the priest conducting the service speaks as I appear behind the open door. I stay, and listen, peering in.
"Fuck Andy, on the one day I need you most... You're MIA. The most fucked up thing is, I can't be sure what hurts more, the fact that you missed the funeral, or that I didn't get to see you..." Ava thinks to herself.
"May the road rise to meet you, may the wind always be at your backs, may the stars shine warmly on your faces..."
"It's one thing to bail on me, but mom and dad... they loved you so fucking much..." Tears begin flowing freely from her eyes.
"May the rains fall softly upon your fields, and until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand."
"Now that our family is broken, it feels like all we ever were to you was an afterthought." she tries to sob as quietly as she can.
"Wherever you are... You have never felt further away than right now... and I don't know what to do with that..."

"So say we all."
"So say we all." Ava manages, in a broken voice.
"So say we all." I whisper
"What a shitshow. I almost missed the eulogy. I can't even enter the sanctuary right now without causing a scene." As I turn away from the doors in frustration, I come face to face with Steve.
"Andy! I was worried you weren't going to make it." he says, a sad tone perceptible in his voice.
"It was a close one." I reply, looking down at the grass. "I got here on the Songbird half an hour ago. Everything is still on it. Listen, I can't thank you enough for your help."
"We'll talk about that later. H-how are you holding up?" he asks.
"I..." the adrenaline that had fueled my mad dash from the landing spot to the sanctuary was fading. I couldn't muster up a response.
"Your parents were the best of us. It's alright to hurt. God knows I'm hurting." he tells me, in a tender tone.
I stare helplessly at the ground, trying to force my pain into a box.
"You should know, they didn't blame you for leaving." he tells me.
"I know. Is there anything I can do to help out here? Ava hasn't answered any of my calls. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't even have known where the service was to be held." I ask him.
"Nothing left to do, Andy. You'll want to talk to her, though. She's had a rough go of it. And I don't mean just since the accident."
"If she wanted to talk to me, she would have picked up when I called." I say, tears beginning to flow from my eyes.
"You weren't here to see it, but..." Steve pauses for a moment... "A light went out in her when..." he sighs "Agh, now's not the time. Please make an effort to talk to her. I mean REALLY talk."
"Of course Steve, thanks for everything." I reply.
"Andy, she's been through hell this week. Maybe keep a low profile until after the service?"
"Yeah, I'll... I'll do that."

ASFS Ardent
A week ago...

I failed to come through on my promise to Steve. I feel like utter garbage. We jumped away again, as soon as the service was over. I couldn't face Avalon like that. Just as I begin to pour myself a glass of liquor, I hear the intercom come online.
"All pilots assemble in the ready room, immediately."
I begrudgingly pull on my officer's tunic, adjusting the buttons and pins. Checking myself in the mirror I notice a bit of stubble. "Not a big deal." I think to myself. I open my door, and begin walking to the ready room. It's a relatively short walk, but for some reason, this one has a lot of foreboding attached to it.
I arrive and take my usual seat at the front of the aisle.
A few minutes later, I hear an officer walk in. "Attention on deck!" he shouts. I quickly stand up and stand to attention. So does the rest of the room. The CAG walks in soon thereafter.
"As you were." he says to us, allowing us to resume our seats.
He walks up to the speaking lectern, and begins with:
"Good morning all. I hope you've had a good sleep. As you know, our weekly plan is already set. We're not here to talk about any operations."
"Thank fuck." I think to myself "I might have fallen asleep. I have slept terribly recently."
"We're here to welcome a new pilot into our ranks. Please welcome Ensign Avalon "Firehead" Thrace!" he says into the microphone.
The words leave me paralysed. I don't know what to do. I hope it is a bad dream, but unfortunately, it is the the furthest thing from that. Looking behind me, I see her entering the room.
“The fuck are you doing here Ava…” I think to myself, quietly.
“She’s been assigned to the 245th Naval Aviation Fighter Squadron…”
“That is my squadron…!” I think as I run the calculations, covering my mouth with my hand.
“I know the loss of Redeye is still fresh for you guys, but I hope you can accept her in without trouble, right, Squadron Leader?” He beckons me to speak.
I can barely stand, but stand I do before saying: “I echo the words of the CAG. While we cannot forget Redeye, he would have wanted us to carry on. Ava… Firehead helps us do that at full strength again.” It takes all of my strength to say those words before I slump back into my chair.
Ava’s eyes widen. “Andy’s my Squadron leader?!” her thoughts swirl. She walks over to the front of the room. Her gaze meets my pained expression for only a moment, before she finishes her walk and takes her place next to the CAG.
"Everyone, remember her face. Welcome aboard, Firehead." the CAG turns, extending his hand. Ava accepts the handshake.
Everything becomes a blur. After the event ends, I hurry back to my quarters. I spend the next week avoiding her. I don't know why, but I just can't face her.
At the first opportunity, I take a week's shore leave. Half to avoid her and half to gather my thoughts. I end up running into Will by chance. He ends up chiding me to talk to Avalon. I end up promising him that I would. I spend the next week either locked up in my room on the station, or throwing ducats at bartenders.

ASFS Ardent
A week later...

As I walk back aboard the ship, duffel bag in hand, I feel a quiet and steely resolve. "I have to talk to her. There is no other way."
I walk back to my quarters, set down my duffel bag and begin to unpack it when...
"Andrew Thrace and Avalon Thrace please report to the CAG's quarters, immediately." the intercom blared. Captain Hendriks was making the decision for us. We'd meet on neutral ground.
I look at myself in the mirror. I look like shit. I've let myself go. Not much I can do about it now though. I walk out, the door closing behind me with its usual clang. The steps towards the CAG's quarters are uneasy and difficult, a million thoughts race through my heavy mind. As I approach the CAG's quarters, I hear low voices. I open the door to see Avalon and Thomas talking.
"Great... she's already here..." My mind races.
She nods at me with a serious face.
"Andrew. Good afternoon, please, have a seat. This won't take long." Hendriks says.
"Hi Avalon. Good afternoon, Captain Hendriks." I say. Ava stays quiet, but I can feel the heat of her gaze as I take a seat.
"First, let me say how sorry I am for the both of you. The last time you two must have seen each other was..."
I cough. "Thanks, Captain Hendriks... Maybe tread lightly on family history today?"
"Guilty conscience, Andy? No need to walk on eggshells, Captain Hendriks. Graduation was the last time I saw Andy." Ava says, piercingly.
"So why are we here?" I ask.
"Plainly? It's obvious to everyone with a working pair of eyes that you two need to talk. I made the decision, that since you two won't talk to each other on your own, I would make you two talk, on neutral ground." Thomas answered, seriously.
"Don't look at me. Andrew's been avoiding me, sir." I hear Avalon say.
"I gave Andrew a week's shore leave. He requested it. I hoped he could clear his head before talking to you, which I had planned for as soon as we departed." Hendriks answers Avalon's defence.
"I... I guess I can start with what you have deserved for a long time. I'm sorry Ava. I'm sorry for everything..." I say, as I deflate.
Ava's gaze changes for a moment. She clearly wasn't expecting that.
"I... We'll talk. I promise. I know there's a million questions you want to ask me, and I have many questions I want to ask you too." I say, finally giving in.
"I have a Songbird mission in an hour. I'm in a little bit of a hurry." Ava says.
"You go do that. We'll meet in airlock four once you come back, deal?" I ask Ava.
I expect to see anger on her face, bu instead there is a momentary flash of vulnerability. For a moment, I feel the tension in the room fade.
"I..." she hesitates for a moment. "Fine. Deal." she says, after a moment's contemplation.
"Was there anything else, Captain?" I then ask.
"No. That is all. Please, talk." Hendriks tells us both.
I rise from my seat and glance at Ava. "Airlock four. I'll be waiting. Goodbye, Captain."
"Goodbye, Andy." the Captain responds.
I walk out of the CAG's quarters, determined to avoid any further conflict. Suddenly, though, I feel a hand on my shoulder.
"HEY! We're not done, Andy!" I hear her voice.
Turning around to face her, I see her face. "I thought you had a Songbird sortie in an hour. Do you really want to start something you can't finish?" I say, my voice exuding exhaustion.
"I think I deserve answers from Brave Sir Robin right now." she says, her voice full of fire.
"Real mature." I reply.
"I need you to answer just one question, Andy. Why'd you lie to Steve? You never tried to call me."
"I didn't lie. I did call. Twenty times at least! You never picked up." I tell her.
"I slept with my phone under my pillow for days. No missed calls." she pauses for a second. "Not one."
"Here, let me call you, right now." I say, pulling out my phone. I dial her number, and it begins to ring. I show her the screen.
"That's... that's my number..." she says, shocked. "How is that possible?"
She purses through her settings.
"I- I can't believe this... I had you blocked. But how?" she says, utterly shocked.
"I don't know. I'm leaving now. Meet me at the airlock." I say, turning around and walking away back to my quarters, having made a decision I can't back away from now. I take a shower, shave, comb my hair, and press my uniform. I at least want to look presentable for this undoubtedly tough conversation ahead.

Airlock Four
A few hours later…

I glance at my watch. It’s been several hours.
“Is she coming? If not I guess I deserve it. I’ve ditched her multiple times now…” I think to myself. "Perhaps it's time for karma to strike back..."
Suddenly, I hear a pair of footsteps. Then the stench hits me.
"Tomahawk body spray..." I growl at myself. My fingernails reflexively dig into the palms of my hands.
Ava emerges first, followed by Jaden. Her eyes lock with mine. Her firey mane and piercing green eyes are achingly vibrant. She steps towards me, mischievous glint in her eye.
"She used to wear that smirk spawn camping in Templar Warrior..." I think to myself.
Then I see him.
"Son of a bitch!" I involuntarily blurt out, my suspicion confirmed. The initial rage simmers down into a steely resolve.
"What's in your head, Ava?" I think to myself, before taking a deep breath.
She walks behind me, as Jaden approaches us.
I turn my head to Ava.
"Sis, why is HE here?" I ask her, anger in my voice.
"I was hoping for a do-over." she whispers back, mischievously.
Jaden nervously approaches us, before beginning to speak: "Hey, Andrew, Avalon. I just wanted to say, sorry for your loss." in his usual smug prick voice, before twisting his face back into that trademark smirk. My seething reaction seems to feed him confidence. It's then that I noticed his military uniform. He even had an ASFS Ardent patch on his shoulder. I'd been serving with him, probably for years. He was a gunner from the looks of his uniform.
"Do you really think it was a just an accident?" he says, that smug voice really started to get to me.
"Fuck him up sis. You did it once, you can do it again..." I tell her, getting behind her.
"Please, she's only half my weight soaking wet." Jaden tells us, before turning his head specifically to me. "You're gonna want to stick around for this, Andy." he tells me. I almost feel sorry for him as I hear Ava's trademark snarl. With his attention focused on me, Jaden never sees her attack coming. An uppercut to the jaw. Jaden drops to the floor like a sack of potatoes. Avalon quickly straddles him, filling his face with punches, as he desperately covers it with his hands.
"LEAVE. US. ALONE." she yells as she gives three particularly hard punches. I have a satisfied smile on my face. Ava gets off him and Jaden scrambles to get away from her as we both advance on him.
"You're still batshit crazy, bitch!" he yells.
"Oh, you have no idea." she growls.
I quickly spin him around by his overalls, and pull him towards me by his collar, satisfied smirk still on my face.
"You're lucky she handled this... or it could have gotten really ugly." I pause for a moment, glaring at his scared face "You are going to beg for a transfer off of this ship, and leave us the fuck alone. Understood?" I tell him, anger and violence in my voice.
"You have not only committed conduct unbecoming of an officer, but also assault. Why would I not report both of you fuckers and get you discharged?" he asks, practically groveling at me.
"Because I could have flushed you out of this airlock, or shot you, and I still can, but I have chosen not to." I pause for a moment. "Consider this a courtesy we expect returned." I tell him, menacingly.
"I'll get that fucking transfer, you pricks." he tells us as I let go of his collar and knock him to the floor. He scrambles out of the room.
Ava stares at me for a moment, her expression alternating between relief and indecision. At last, she walks up to me and pulls me into an unexpected hug.
"This is what I should have done last time, Andy." she whispers, her head resting on my shoulder. "And I'm so sorry I didn't." she continues.
"I would have welcomed that... but I still would have left." I pause for a moment, before continuing "You know I didn't leave because of what happened at the party, right?" I reciprocate the hug and wrap my hands around her.
"Her whole body is trembling..." I think to myself.
"Y-you didn't?" she asks, surprised.
"No... there was a lot more to that decision than what happened with that asshole." I tell her, trying to keep myself composed.
"Like what?" she asks.
"If I tell you..." I pause in reflection. "It might just get in the way of whatever is happening right now."
Ava releases me and looks curiously into my eyes.
"I understand... I need some time to work up to some of the things I need to say as well. But I want to." she tells me.
"I know there's a lot to work through." I respond.
"Gotta start somewhere." she quips.
"Let's talk tomorrow. My quarters." I say.
"I'll stop by your room in the morning." she responds. "And Andy... you look good! Really good actually!"
Flashing a radiant smile, she walks in the direction of the quarters.

Last edited:
Aversville, Tuolovi
Fifteen years ago

I sat on the stairs after a fun bike ride. The sun was shining, and the birds were singing. It was a peaceful moment that I was relishing.
Suddenly, my mother came to me.
"Walk with me..." she said.
"Where are we going?" I asked, curiously.
"Someplace we can talk." she answered. "Just you and me." she continued.

"Is it a secret?" I asked, very curious at this point.
"Not a secret, Andy! I just want to ask the most important man in my life a question." she says.
"We're going to see Paul?" I asked, my eyebrow rising.
"No silly... you're the most important man in my life." she said, lovingly.
"Hel-heck yeah!" I exclaimed, happily.
She took my hand in hers, and we walked to the park. It was a quiet walk, but we both enjoyed it. When we finally arrived at the park, she sat me on a bench and kneeled so she could look at me in the eye.
"It's been just you and me for a while now, Andy. I want you to know you'll always be mommy's ride or die." she began, reassuringly.
"But it's not just you and me, mom. Paul and Ava are part of our family now." I said in response.
Mom's eyes began to well up at those words. I didn't understand why at the time...
"What did you want to ask me, mom?" I then asked.
"You just answered it. And you made me so happy." she responded, putting a hand on my cheek.
"Happy enough to get me an ice cream?" I asked, pleadingly.
"Expensive date!" mom said, jokingly, before continuing: "Yes Andy, at least that happy."

ASFS Ardent
Present day

"Gah!" I blurt out as I shake my head back awake. I glance at my watch, 7:59AM, my rotation was more or less over now.
"Pull me out of this tube, Matthews." I say through wireless. Matthews throws me a thumbs up, and the Stardancer begins backing up out of the launch tube and onto the lift. It's a short ride, and soon the flight deck crew is there. I pop open the canopy and remove my helmet. There is quickly a buzz of activity around me as I'm checked over. I step down the ladder, and the crew gets to work checking the fighter. At this point I am free to leave, which I do. The 4AM wake up time wasn't kind on me and I am absolutely desperate for sleep. I walk over to my quarters, remove my flight suit and crash onto the bed.
I awaken just an hour later to knocking on my door. I let out a heavy yawn before saying "Door's open."
The door opens with its usual clang. I see it's Ava. She stares at me expectantly.
"Is this a good time?" she asks.
"Figure putting this off for the perfect time was how we got here to begin with." I reply with a twinge of joking in my voice.
Ava smiles nervously in response and seems to relax a little.
"No excuses today. I've taped a note to the door, and..." she turns around and I can hear the locking wheel turn as the door is locked. "We're gonna talk until we have to meet the CAG." she continues.
I sit up and stretch, blinking away sleep. Ava looks dumbstruck for a moment, before looking down and saying "Can... you put on a shirt?"
"Get used to it, they like to keep the temperature super high for some reason." I reply.
Ava seems suddenly uncomfortable and her eyes wander the cabin to avoid focusing on me. Suddenly, they find my desk.
"These look like your journals. You kept up with them, then?" she asks me.
"Yeah. I try to write a little every day." I respond, my eyes meeting her emerald eyes.
"Wow... maybe we don't need to talk after all!" she says, jokingly as a smirk tugs at the corner of her mouth. "I could just take these back to my room and catch up."
"I'd uh... really you rather not." I reply, with a nervous smile.
The mischievous gleam in Ava's eye only intensifies. "Five years of your secrets all in one place! The Chronicles of Andy!"
"Sis..."
"You're right. What kind of sister would I be if I snooped in your diary?" she says, her hands raised and a mischievous smile fixed to her face.
"Boom! Headshot." I say, playfully.
Ava's laugh suddenly fills the cabin, but there's no hint of bitterness in it. It has been a long time since I heard that...
"Sorry, couldn't help myself. We won't get anywhere if all we do is pick at old wounds." she says.
"You'd rather talk about the inheritance?" I ask her.
"Fuck no! But I suppose it's part of our lives that we'll have to figure out with Steve."
"What did you have in mind then?" I ask.
"Let's just play it by ear. I'll even let you start if you want." she replies.
After a brief hesitation, Ava sits on the bed next to me. I decide to let Ava ask the first question.
"You start, sis." I say, before continuing "I probably have the most explaining to do anyway."
Ava smiles and looks thoughtful for a moment.
"I figure I'll start with the easy ones. Let's see how that goes." she says, before closing her eyes and taking a deep breath.
"Where have you been all this time?" she asks, after a little thinking.
"Spent the first winter out in Oulea, on a ski lodge. Got my alpine and snowboard instructor certifications." I say.
"That's so you." Ava replies, jokingly.
"Made good money. Got really close to the lodge owners."
"Why didn't you stay?" Ava asks, curiously.
"That's... complicated." I say with a mix of embarrassment and sadness in my voice.
"Uncomplicate it." she says in response.
"I was there only for a few months before the owner's wife and I got... close."
"Wow..." Ava says in surprise.
"I never felt comfortable in one place. I only really slept well on the road." I continue.
"Look, not gonna judge here, but..." she pauses for a moment. "But maybe you weren't sleeping well because you were fucking your boss' wife?"
"That felt shitty, but no. I had heavier baggage." I pause for a moment, with a heavy look on my face. "Call it mom and dad's disapproval... your disapproval."
"I'm not sure that's the right word for how we felt." she says in response, her face also having a heavy look.
I sigh, before continuing. "I got convinced to go to New Arem for spring break by one of my students. That's when the travel bug bit me."
"Wanna know a secret?" Avalon suddenly asks.
"Sure...?" I say, unsure.
"Mom and dad always knew where you were... when I'd ask, they'd just say you were doing fine." she tells me.
"It's not like I didn't check in every once in a while." I respond.
"Oh I know. I could always tell when they'd heard from you." Ava says, smile on her face.
"Wait... Steve!" I say, making a sudden realisation.
"Huh?" Ava asks, confused.
"He admitted that he could track my phone when we talked once." I say.
"Makes sense. They avoided talking about you around me." she says in response.
"Why?" I ask with a sad look on my face.
Ava just looks away, but doesn't answer. The sadness on her face is visible too.
"...Anyway, I made a friend in New Arem and kinda tagged along with him. He took me under his wing, ended up convincing me to go to the Military Academy back on Oulea. We'd go on training voyages together, it satisfied my wanderlust." I say, continuing my answer.
"That must be when... nevermind." she says, looking away.
"When what?" I ask her.
"I guess there's no point in hiding it..." she locks her gaze back onto mine. "Dad had a map of Arem space in his office he kept adding little colored pins to."
"What? really?" I ask, surprised.
"Yeah... didn't have to be a brain surgeon to figure out what all that was about." she says, a smile coming back to her face "I saw Oulea, Marathon, Tantalus, Ragnar, and... Scorpia? What the fuck were you doing in Scorpia, Andy?" she asks, with a little chuckle.
"Went to a concert?" I say in response.
Ava has a suspicious smirk on her face.
"What? It was free." I say.
"Naturally. There must have been something else too, though?" she asks suspiciously.
"Fine. We did Stardancer bombing run training there." I say, with a broad smile on my face.
"You're up, I guess." Ava then says.
"How were things after I left?" I ask, with a tenderness in my voice.
Ava looks down and closes her eyes for a moment, taking a deep breath.
"We were in bad shape for a bit. Especially mom."
"Yeah..." I say, with a guilty look on my face.
"It took some time, but I think dad understood you best, and calmed her down. I know Steve came by to talk about it, but I don't know what was discussed."
"And..." I pause for a moment, my face heavy with guilt. "How were you?"
"Fine." Ava's voice hardens a little, and she avoids my eyes. "Anyway, before I knew it, I was starting my pre-med program. You know dad and mom... when I wasn't in class, I was working." she says.
"Doing what?" I ask, my eyebrows risen.
"Bartending at a local watering hole." she answers.
"Bet you did well on tips." I say, smile once again creeping back onto my face.
"What? Why?" she asks, flushed.
"Been all over space, and haven't met a single bartender that looks like you." I answer.
Ava seems taken aback, unsure what to do with the compliment.
"Anyway, I ended up leaving med school, and going to the military academy as well, evidently. Mads tried to get me to travel a few times, but I wasn't feeling it. I did my schooling on Tuolovi."
"I see." I say, matter of factly.
"Guess I'm up?" Ava asks.
"Guess you are." I answer.
"I told myself I wouldn't ask you this, but... why did you ghost me when we were little?" she asks, a hurt look on her face.
I look down. "I faked a sick day so I could stay home to play Templar Three..."
"I remember." she says.
"When you came home from school, I heard what Anna said to you." I say, lifting my gaze back to her eyes.
"Anna...?" Ava looks confused for a moment, before a flash of realisation zaps through her face "Oh my God! What did you hear?"
"She was making fun of you for hanging out with me so much. Said you'd never make any friends if you were following me everywhere." I say, my gaze once again drifting down to the sheets.
"You've got to be kidding me. Andy, I spent time with you because having one best friend was enough for me." she says, a caring smile starting to spread across her face.
"Your popularity sure skyrocketed as soon as you were out of my shadow." I say, a sadness in my voice.
"You think that's why?" she asks.
"The timeline fits." I answer.
"I only got popular after kicking Anna's ass!" she says, excitedly.
"No way! How did I not hear about this? I would have loved to see that!" a smile spreads back across my face.
"The memory is just a blur for me, now. Mads told me later that when I snapped, even she was scared of me. But you know how she exaggerates...." Ava pauses for a moment. "Anna was a mean girl, and a bully. She wasn't going to choose my friends, so I put her in her place. The irony is not lost on me that you did the same thing for me at the graduation party." she says.
"Fuck..." I say, a flash of regret contorting my face again.
"It's so ridiculous, looking back..." Ava says, looking down.
"What is?" I ask, curiously.
"I used to get so angry when you stood up for me." she says, lifting her gaze back onto mine. "I thought it was because you thought I couldn't take care of myself."
"That wasn't it..." I say, a sad look on my face again.
"I know that now, dummy. I had to remember what made me throat punch Anna. What you did to Jaden was just your way of showing your lo..." she pauses for a moment and looks away "That you cared... Anyway, do you have another question for me?"
"Is anyone waiting for you back at home?" I ask.
"Yeah, I'm juggling three boyfriends at the moment. Still haven't decided which one I will impulse-marry when I get back home." she says, hiding her mischievous grin.
"Oh..." I say, a forlorn look on my face as my gaze drops to the sheets again.
"Then there was that offer to appear on The Villa..." she says, still hiding her mischievous grin.
"For real?!" I ask, shocked as my gaze quickly rises to meet hers.
"No! Not for real, you idiot!" she says, exasperated. "Between school and now this, there was no me time. I.. I never thought I could be this tired at twenty-four." she says, sighing.
"Maybe a break is what you need." I say.
"Maybe so." she responds.
"So why'd you bring Jaden to the Airlock?" I ask.
"Hey, it's not your turn!" she says, mocking anger.
"But in all seriousness, that Songbird mission was to collect him, unbeknownst to me. I hadn't seen him since the party. What is weird is that it's almost like he was expecting me." she pauses for a moment. "My first impulse was to run... I can take care of myself Andy, but something about that guy terrifies me. That's when I remembered..."
"Remembered what?" I ask.
"Remembered that if I could get back to yo- to the Ardent, everything would be fine. And it was." she says, a smile reappearing on her face, before sighing. "Andy, for me this is... very complicated."
"Then uncomplicate it." I say, smirk on my face.
Ava smirks at her own words being used against her.
"Cute." she says, pausing for a moment "I had to live with the guilt of making you leave the family. And it's even worse now, knowing I ruined it all before dad and mom... well... before this. I guess I wanted to know if after all this you still loved me enough to protect me..." she pauses for a moment "And if I loved you enough to let you do it. Oh God, the things I said to you and dad that night..." Ava's voice quivers and I sense that she is on the verge of tears.
"I know a thing or two about guilt, Ava... but you need to know that I did see mom and dad before they died." I say, trying to console her.
"What?! When?' she asks, shocked.
"That's... a story for another time." I say, hesitantly.
"Well, it is my turn." Ava says.
"I'm... I'm just not ready to go there yet. Please, just pick another question." I tell her.
"Actually, you can take a third in a row. I'm working up to my next one." she says.
"How do you feel about having to eventually sort out our inheritance?" I ask.
"Overwhelmed... inadequate... unprepared... undeserving..." she says, an anxious look in her eyes.
"Yeah..." I say, looking down at the sheets again.
"To be honest, my biggest fear is what the inheritance will do to us. But to tell you the truth, that is starting to feel a little silly. Since mom and dad passed, but especially since yesterday you and I have been moving... in the right direction." she says, a smile reappearing on her face.
"I feel the same way." I say, my gaze rising to meet hers.
"Anyway, I don't want to talk about this yet. There is plenty of time for this later. This talk is about us." she says.
"You're right. Sorry." I say, apologetically.
Ava sighs.
"Here goes... You didn't come home when I graduated Military School. No way mom didn't tell you about it."
"She did..." I say.
"I worked so hard for that, Andy. Why couldn't you be there?" Ava asks.
"I..." Ava seems poised to push but something in my eyes stops her cold.
"Oh... ummm... I really want an answer for this one but I can tell that one hit close to home." she says, gingerly.
"Yeah..." I respond, mournfully.
"We... we can talk about it another time. We've come so far already today, there's no rush." she says.
"No. You deserve to know." I say, resolutely, before closing my eyes, and collecting myself to open a mental door that I had kept locked for over three months.
"I told you I made a friend in New Arem..." I start.
"Yes." Ava says, matter of factly.
"Adam. I don't know how you even describe a guy like him... he was a historian, a prisoner of war, and even a combat hero." I tell her.
"Sounds exactly like the kind of friend you'd make." Ava says, smirk on her face.
"Does it? Maybe. I was fortunate enough to be one of the few who really got to know him." I say, my head falling down towards the covers again.
"Then tell me who he was." Ava says, softly.
"A man of rare honesty, wisdom and principle." I say to her.
"Sounds like you've inherited your mother's eye for judging a guy's quality." Ava says, smirk on her face.
"Well, even she got it wrong the first time." I say, jokingly.
"She made it up for the second." Ava says in return.
"That's for sure... Paul and Adam actually had a lot in common. Anyway, all of those pushpins on dad's map? Adam and I were travelling together, he was training me." I say, earnestly.
"He did this willingly?" Ava asks, her eyes lighting up.
"Still got jokes I see..." I say, seriously.
"Sorry, please continue." Ava says, her expression softening up.
"He wasn't the easiest person to get to know, but he taught me first how to survive, and then how to thrive." I say.
"Oh my God! Were you two... an item?" Ava asks, shocked.
"NO! Nothing like that!" I say, defensively.
"...Not that there's anything wrong with that!" Ava says, jokingly.
"You know, I could probably still flush your skinny ass out an airlock." I say, a smile on my face.
I expect Ava to keep teasing me, but she just waits for me to continue.
"He showed me that dwelling on past regrets just cheats you out of life. He taught me about respect and the kind of strength you don't learn in sports..." I pause for a moment "But he saved the most important lesson for last."
"What was that?" Ava asks, curiously.
I give her a sad look "So mom did call, and gave me the details on your graduation. Honours she said. She was so goddamn proud..." I pause for a moment before whispering "I was too..."
"You were?" Ava asks.
"Adam and I were with the Ardent. I was to jump back home. Adam had legal stuff to deal with, and I was about to receive a promotion. We both took shore leave."
"With you so far." Ava says.
"Adam's brother had got rich off of stock speculation. Gifted him a villa on Marathon. Adam was going to handle the transfer of ownership, while I headed home to see you graduate, and receive my promotion at home. And on the final mission before we were both to leave on shore leave, everything went to shit."

ASFS Ardent
Three months ago

"Intervals?" Matthews asked
I flashed my launch Chief a thumbs up indicating that it was green.
"Alright. Launching in three, two, one. Good luck Lieutenant." he said. I threw him a salute.
The Stardancer quickly accelerated down the launch tube, pushing me back against the seat, until the tube finally spat me out. Adam's plane formed up with me soon thereafter.
"Ardent, Shaggy Pants, heading on intercept course now." I said to the Ardent, through wireless.
"Ardent copies." I heard back.
"Alright, Shaggy Pants, your first time taking the lead, how you feeling?" I heard a voice through the wireless.
"A bit anxious, but this is a simple intercept, Redeye." I said back.
"Copy that. Let's move." I heard the voice reply.
The flight was mostly silent, but as we got in closer, our DRADIS picked up the target. It was a lone Ravanger. I had no idea what it was doing this far away from Kalor space, but it was considered a threat that had to be destroyed, immediately.
"Alright, Shaggy Pants, engaging." I said through wireless. My shooting wasn't quite accurate enough, and suddenly, I saw the flash of a missile coming at my Stardancer. It was then, that Adam piloted his Stardancer in front of mine and fired a burst from his guns, destroying the Ravanger, but not the missile. It struck his Stardancer. He was able to eject, but he wasn't quite quick enough. There was a hole in his flightsuit that he was desperately holding closed.
"ARDENT, SHAGGY PANTS, REDEYE'S BEEN HIT!" I said, in shock. "WE NEED A RESCUE SONGBIRD OUT HERE, NOW!"
I quickly manoeuvered my Stardancer next to his ejection seat. I could hear his breathing was shallow. His O2 was clearly already nearly out.
"Fuck..." I muttered.
Sensing time was short, I decided to comfort him for one last time...
"May his soul be be bound up in the bond of life..." I said to him, through wireless. I could see a contented look on his face, as he breathed out one last sigh. He was gone.

ASFS Ardent
Present day

Ava just stares at me in shock, her hand covering her mouth.
"Andy, I..."
"That's the day I learned how the world really works." I say, seriously, before continuing "I'd seen glimpses, sure... but nothing had prepared me for this."
"What happened then?" Ava asks, in a comforting voice.
"I... said goodbye. I couldn't talk to CIC. I was numb. The hails sounded a million miles away. I remember I did say something, but I don't remember it now. Before long, the Rescue Songbird was there. They collected his body. Being in shock was the only thing that held the darkness at bay at that point..." I say, falling silent for a moment.
"Captain Hendriks gave me Adam's challenge coin. Told me he would have wanted me to have it."
"So during my graduation..." Ava begins to say.
"I stayed with Adam's family, for his seven days of mourning. Adam's brother signed the Marathon villa over to me instead. I guess he didn't want the reminder..." I say, in a mournful tone.
"When I called with the news about dad and mom's accident..." Ava sighs "I wish... I wish I had known. I was so hurt about you missing my big day and you... you were burying a friend." she says, in a comforting voice again.
"It's about the only thing that would have stopped me from being there." I say, earnestly.
"You were exactly where you needed to be." Ava tells me. She manages a wry smile. "But I'd have been super pissed if you were at a free concert on Scorpia."
In spite of the heavy mood, I find myself chuckling along with her.
"That's all I'm up for today, I think..." I say.
"I have just one more question." Ava says.
"I dunno, sis..."
"Come on! It's an easy yes or no question!" she says.
"Alright... one more." I say, reluctantly.
Ava stands and walks towards the door.
"All this talk about best friends reminds me..." Ava pauses and looks at me over her shoulder. "Did you fuck Mads?"
"...yeah." I say, reluctantly again.
Ava turns to face me, with a conflicted expression.
"It's not what you think. She didn't betray you sis, she was-" Ava cuts me off
"Throwing a Hail Mary."
"Wha..."
Ava approaches me hesitantly. Instinctively, I rise from my bed, unsure what to expect.
"Fuck, I can't tell what she's thinking..." I think to myself.
"I... I already knew." she says, shakily.
"What? Then why did you ask?" I ask.
I feel an inexplicable tension as Ava stops just short of me and looks into my eyes.
"Thank you... for telling me the truth. It would have been so easy to lie." Ava says, resting her head against my chest. I feel the warmth of her hands on my back.
"I meant it when I said it's not what you think. Mads loves you." I tell her, as I embrace her.
"I know. No secrets between sisters..." she says.
"I'd forgotten his scent... but his body... If we're stuck together like this for a long time, I'm in trouble." she thinks to herself.
"Mmmmmmm..." I hear her mumble. Suddenly, her hug changes from tender and caring to sensual and intimate. Before I can react, Ava thrusts her lips at me impulsively. I kiss her back without hesitation as our worlds collide. I grab her waist and pull her into me as old feelings resurface. The kiss is brief, but incredibly intense. I feel unsteady, as if the Ardent had just made a sudden manoeuvre. As quickly as she pounced on me though, she retreats in shock and dismay.
"I.. I have to go! I'm... I'm sorry!"
"I..." I stand there, dumbfounded, frozen still, seeing her turn the locking wheel to unlock the door.
"Umm... we'll talk later!" she turns back to retrieve the handwritten 'DO NOT DISTURB' sign she'd taped to the door.
"MAYBE!" she follows up.
She darts out of my room so quickly, that I never get to finish my sentence.
"...fuck." I utter.

Last edited:
ASFS Ardent
Present day

"God I fucked up didn't I?" I mutter to myself, as I begin putting on my uniform.
"What was I thinking?" comes out as I pull on my uniform tunic.
"But she kissed first?" I think out loud as I adjust the rank pips on my collar. Suddenly, though, my self wallowing is interrupted by the distinctive noise of the intercom coming online.
"This is the Admiral. Moments ago, this ship received confirmation, that we, New Arem, are not the last Aremite survivors. There remains a ship, the ASFS Hornet, that still fights the Kalorians. This ship, however, is badly outmatched, and undermanned. We were contacted, so we could provide support to the stricken ship. The enemy she faces is immense. If the reports she has given us are true, then she is facing the largest Kalorian warship ever put to space. We have reason to believe, then, that the Kalorian Star Marshal, Tios Demaukes is aboard that ship. Realistically, this is our best chance at revenge for what happened to our home world. The enemy that destroyed it... is only lightly escorted. So then, stand to your duties! Trust your fellow crewmen! If we all do our part, then we can make the Kalorians pay dearly, for what they have done, and bring more of our people to their new home. Thank you."
I feel my gut wrench as I hear those words. Finally, a chance to fight back, to avenge those we'd lost... I'd been born after the fall, in New Arem. Indeed, I have very little connection to old Arem at all, but... Arem beats in the hearts of every Aremite, flows in their veins. I swore an oath to protect the innocent, to defend the Aremite people, with my life if necessary, and to never forget Arem. A chance to avenge its destruction would finally put the souls of the lost to rest.
My thoughts are interrupted again, however, as the intercom once again goes off.
"Andrew and Avalon Thrace please report to the CAG's quarters."
I finish buttoning up and push the bulkhead open. It closes with its usual clang behind me. I begin walking towards the CAG's quarters. I pass Ava's bunk room just as she is leaving. Wordlessly, we match pace. I try to look at her, but she avoids eye contact.
"At least she doesn't look angry... that kiss came out of nowhere..." I think to myself, quietly, as we approach Hendriks' quarters.
He is expecting us, as he opens the door himself.
"Come you two, we have a lot to discuss." he says, gesturing to the chairs.
We sit down.
"Andrew, you are one of my senior pilots. Avalon, you are a newly minted officer, and by all accounts a skilled pilot..." he pauses for a moment, his look displays disappointment above all else. "Why did you two put a beatdown on Petty Officer Crossfield?"
My eyes widen. Of course he knows! There are cameras.
Avalon begins to speak: "It was wrong, yes, sir. There are things behind this, however."
"Like what?" Hendriks asks us, in an exasperated tone.
"You have read his file, yes?" I ask
"He is not affiliated with the Air Wing, I have not." Hendriks tells us.
"Petty Officer Second Class Jaden Crossfield... Let's just say he knows us and we know him." I say in response.
"I understand there is history there. I also understand that history should not cloud the judgment of an officer of the Aremite Starfleet." he takes a moment's pause. "For what it's worth, Jaden has said nothing, and I am the only officer that knows. We will keep this between ourselves, but I expect better judgement from my officers. Understood?" he says, seriously.
"I understand." I reply, solemnly.
"I understand too, sir." Avalon responds.
"Alright, with that out of the way, I hope that you have talked?" his tone shifts completely, into a more nonchalant tone.
"We are talking, and I think we've come a long way." Ava says, looking at me for the first time since the kiss.
"Nobody would be happier than I if that were true..." Hendriks takes a pause again. "Andy. I want you to serve as stand-in CAG, while I take command of the Air Flotilla, once we meet up with the Hornet. In that capacity, I am giving you a mission. We need twenty Stardancers here, in three days. You are one of my senior pilots. You combine youth and experience." he says, seriously.
"I.. I'm not sure that is a responsibility I'm ready for." I say, taken aback.
"I want you to show me that you have what it takes, Andy." he says in response.
"I... Avalon and I work well together. I want her as my deputy." I say.
To my surprise, Ava just stays silent, and I feel the bare skin of her hand brush against my hand.
"Very well. I am certain that you two can show me that you have what it takes." Hendriks says, in agreement.
"And what if we don't?" I ask.
"We both do. We'll just need to show him." Ava says, reassuringly.
"That's the spirit! Now, I have a few things to attend to. Make yourselves at home in the office, I'll be back in a little bit." Thomas says, rising out of his chair.
Ava and I also stand up, and start looking at the pictures on the wall. Thomas steps away, letting us two look at the pictures. One catches our eye, the great Ardealian Ocean swallowing the sun on Marathon.
"Marathon." I say, quietly.
"Last time we were there, I came to terms with the idea that I'd have to share my dad. But in return I gained the best mom... and an infuriatingly complicated brother." Ava says, softly, before turning her head to me.
I don't say anything for a long moment, lost in memory.
"And now they're gone... what does that make us now?" I pause for a moment. "I don't think we're legally... anything." I answer my own question, a sullen look in my eyes.
Ava scoots over until there is no gap between us.
"Whatever happens, you'll always be my brother." she tells me, her emerald eyes fixed to mine.
Suddenly we hear the bulkhead open.
"Sorry to interrupt, but someone from Tuolovi wants to talk to you specifically, Andy, about getting us Stardancers." Thomas suddenly says.
"What do you think, sis? If we're going to be working together, I guess now would be the time to start." I say, looking towards Ava.
"Did they give any more details?" Ava asks, inquisitively.
"I was told they had a fix on Stardancer mark eights in a scrap yard. They're not in too bad a condition, apparently, could be fixed by our deck crews." Hendriks replies.
"Seems like a no-brainer to me. You'd better check it out Andy." Ava then says, looking back at me.
"How do I find them?" I ask.
"I'll arrange you to meet, tomorrow." Thomas replies, before continuing "Now I also have another problem. A designated CAP pilot has unexpectedly fallen sick. You're flying his shift. He'll take an Alert Stardancer shift from you in exchange." he says.
"For... alright. I'll go and fly the shift, sir." I say, frustratedly, walking out.

A few hours later...

"What a day... part of me wants to just crawl into bed and start fresh tomorrow. The rest of me wants to talk to Andy again." Ava thinks to herself, as she walks the halls of the Ardent. It was relatively quiet now, with only a few people around.
"His room..." she thinks to herself as she passes Andy's room. She stops and looks around, before approaching the door.
She hesitates a moment before raising her hand and giving it a few knocks.
"Andy?" Ava says, quietly.
"What am I doing? There's no way he's finished his CAP." she thinks to herself.
She decides to push the door.
"Hmm, it's unlocked..." she thinks.
Ava turns on the light revealing an empty room.
"Yep, still not back." she mutters, as the door closes behind her with a clang.
"Tomorrow then..." Ava mutters as she begins to leave, however her eyes fix onto pictures on Andy's nightstand. They catch her attention and she walks a little closer to take a look at them.
Picking up one, she sees a picture of herself and Andy, when they were both nine.
"Andy... this must have been school picture day, like a week before the Anna incident..." Ava mutters to herself, sadly, as she looks at the picture of herself and Andy happily sitting together. She sets that picture down and picks up the other one.
"You really did love us..." Ava mutters, looking at the picture. "This is Marathon, dad's holding you, and mom's holding me as we look out to sea..." she says, her eyes welling up. She puts the picture back and begins to walk out, but suddenly her eye settles on the stack of journals on Andy's desk.
"Ohhhh... fuck me. No! That would make me such a hypocrite." she battles with herself internally. Ava turns to leave but pauses at the door.
"Just let it go, Ava." she tells herself, trying to look away. But she just can't.
"God, I suck... I told Mads I didn't want details but maybe I just didn't want them from her." she thinks to herself, as she turns around. "And this might be my only chance of ever knowing what he was thinking."
Ava stares at the journal marked 'High School' for a minute, torn by indecision. She edges closer to the desk, discretion waging war with curiosity.
"Do I really want to know?" she asks herself.
She becomes aware of her excitement, as the tingle in her chest spreads throughout her body. She picks up the journal.
"Let's just flip ahead to graduation night..." she mumbles to herself as she flips through the pages. "Mmmm... here we go..."
"Punched Jaden... yeah yeah... 'Ava went honeybadger' ugh don't remind me... Mads caught up in the driveway, ah here we go..."
"When the adrenaline wore off, I knew I'd screwed up. The anger had given me courage, but now I just felt empty. For a few minutes I thought about cancelling my flight. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder, it was Mads." Ava read as she first sat on, and then lay on the bed.
"She didn't say anything, just hugged me. After a few minutes, she led me to her car and we left the house. We must have driven 20 minutes before she finally broke the silence."

Aversville, Tuolovi
Six years ago

"Well... that happened. I'm pretty sure you broke Jaden's nose." Mads broke the silence.
"I really do not want to talk about it." I replied.
"Good, because it's my turn to talk." Mads began "Avalon has been my friend for as long as I can remember."
"Don't you mean more than friends? I read her diary." I said back.
"I know. She tells me everything. I don't think you understand though... there is no attraction between us." Mads said, never taking her eyes off the road.
"Then why..." I began, turning my head towards Mads.
"Your sister has a... unique problem. A problem that I sometimes help her with." she answered.
"Like... sexually?" I asked, my eyebrow rising.
"Mmmhmmm... and emotionally."
"Why are you telling me this?" I asked.
"Let me answer your question with a question..." she took a moment's pause. "How long have you been in love with your sister?" she asked, for the first time turning to look at me.
"WHAT?!" I exclaimed, dumbstruck.
"Cut the shit, Andy. What just happened in there was... love, jealousy, and fear all rolled into one." she said, seriously.
"You are seriously reaching." I said, focusing my gaze out of the windshield.
"Not at all... I already knew what to look for." she said, pulling into her driveway. "We're here. Folks aren't home, we can talk here for a while."
"Why are you even getting involved in this?" I asked, agitated.
"Because I think you're about to do something stupid... and if you do, you're going to hurt someone I care about." she told me, seriously.
"So you figured out that I'm leaving." I said.
"It's written all over your face. You're about to bolt." she said in response.
"I have to. You wouldn't understand..." I said, a dejected look on my face.
"You might be surprised." she replied, mysteriously.
"I read in her diary that you had a thing for me. That would explain all of this." I said, raising my gaze at her again.
"Oh I did... in fact I still think you're kind of hot... but I could never date you." she replied.
"Because Ava wouldn't approve?" I asked.
"Oh please, Ava would push it like a new religion. But it would also change our friendship in ways I can't live with." she said.
"I need space, to think about everything." I said.
Mads got out of the car and wordlessly led me through the house and into her room. She walked to a window and gazed over the city, lost in thought.
"Make yourself at home, we'll talk in a minute. I need to text your sister that you're alright." she said.

ASFS Ardent
Present day

"Wait, Mads thought he was in love with me!? Why did she never say anything? Apparently there are some secrets between sisters..." Ava mumbles to herself.
"Hold on... I remember that text message. Right before I got in the shower... I'd decided to tell Andy how I felt the next morning. So frustrating... If I had just said something a day sooner..." Ava thinks to herself.

Aversville, Tuolovi
Six years ago

I lay on one side of Mads' bed, gazing at the ceiling. Mads settled in next to me.
"Your bed smells like her." I said, still staring at the ceiling.
"Mmhmm. She's slept right there every night ever since the Jaden incident." she said, looking at me.
"You share a bed?" I asked, pulling my gaze off the ceiling and looking at Mads.
"Surprised? I helped her with her problem last night right where you're lying." she said in response.
"You mean...?"
"Yeah... I made her cum."

ASFS Ardent
Present day

"God damn it Mads! Someone kill me now!" Ava mumbles to herself.

Aversville, Tuolovi
Six years ago

"I knew you'd kissed but I didn't know you were..." I said, shocked.
"Gay? We're not. We're both very much into guys." she replied.
"Then how...?"
"She has a problem I help her with... as a friend." she responded.
"What problem?" I asked, agitation seeping back into my voice.
"That's her secret. Just like how you feel about her is yours." she told me.
Ava's scent enveloped me as I talked to Mads.
"So... where will you go?" she asked.
"I've dreamed of being a snowboard instructor. Oulea, probably..." I said.
"You know how many people you will hurt if you leave like this..." Mads said, grimly.
"Yeah... I also know who I'll hurt if I stay." I said, defeated.
"Maybe I could help you... the way I help Ava." she said.
"You mean...?"
"Let me be Ava tonight..." she whispered.
"Let you what now? How would that help?" I asked, shocked.
"I hope this will get it out of your system and you'll go back home tonight. It's a Hail Mary. I can either do something or I can do nothing..." she paused for a moment. "And right now, both feel like a betrayal."
"Just let me go. Then it's entirely on me." I said, sitting up.
"Not without a fight. If there was something I could have done to change your mind but didn't..." she paused, as she moved to face me. "Ava's an amazing kisser... we taught each other..." she whispered.
Mads' face moved closer to mine, and I realised she was wearing Ava's lip gloss. Impulsively, I pulled her into a kiss, imagining Ava's mouth against mine.
"You kissed her last night..." I whispered.
"Mmhmm." she whispered back.
Years of latent desire for Avalon shattered my tenuous shards of resistance. Mads' gaze turned sultry as she began to shed her dress.
"Could this even work?" I thought to myself, as I began to remove my clothing almost without a conscious effort.
"You smell just like her. You're wearing her perfume." I whispered.
"Yeah... if you close your eyes, I feel just like her too." she whispered back.
"This is... surreal." I whispered in response.
"Shhhh... focus on the one you want." she whispered. The whispers became low and husky, subtly mimicking Ava's voice.
"She's had practice at this..." I thought to myself.
Closing my eyes as she suggested was like flipping a switch. The effect was immediate.
"The scent of my lip gloss reminds you of her..." she whispered.
"Yeah..." I whispered back.
"Have a taste." she whispered.
"I want to." I said, out loud.
As our lips connected, my imagination and the other senses bridged the gap between fantasy and reality...

ASFS Ardent
Present day

"Oh my GOOOOOD! FUCK! I'm not sure if I'm more furious, jealous or turned on right now." Ava thinks to herself, as she slides one of her hands towards her legs.
"He wanted me too once... maybe I can help him remember that." she thinks.

Aversville, Tuolovi
Six years ago

"That... was..."
"Not where this ends, Andy."
There was unexpected conflict in her eyes.
"Andy, don't make this for nothing..." Mads' voice was her own again, and I could hear the turmoil in it, mixed with her lust. "I'm giving you something I can never give away again... for her."
"Mads stop, it won't change anyth..."

ASFS Ardent
Present day

"So that's where my panties went..." Ava mumbles to herself, panting. She is oblivious to the fact that she has ruined the pillow.
"I could fall asleep here, but I gotta finish this."

Aversville, Tuolovi
Six years ago

"Which... which of you was talking at the end?" I asked.
Mads refused to meet my gaze and waited a long moment before answering.
"Who do you think it was?"
"I'm... I'm not thinking very clearly right now." I replied.
"Doesn't matter... I know I didn't change your mind." she said.
"Sorry..."
Mads gazed at me with an eerie intensity.
"Why? Why are you so dead set on this?" she asked.
"It's even worse now. One time was never going to make it go away. if I stuck around, I'd eventually say or do something I couldn't take back." I paused for a moment. "What kind of nutjob loser can't get a sibling out of their head?" I asked, dejectedly.
A hint of a smile touched Mads' lips.
"Something in the water, maybe?" she sighed "Seems I have risked everything for nothing. It would have been better to just let you go."
"I said that up front! Now comes the regret." I said, seriously.
"That's not entirely true..." Mads' bemused smile turned playful. "I've got a pretty fucked up kink myself. I punched both of your cards."
"I guess... we punched yours too..." I said, in shock.
"Mmhmm."
"I guess that is kinda fucked up." I said.
"I know right? But usually I can control my impulses. This wasn't about what I wanted, but I will have to live with the consequences regardless..." Mads told me, smiling at me. "Just because... I had my mind blown doesn't change that."
"I still feel like you threw this away." I said.
"It's not like that... I did this 99% in the hopes of changing your mind. I'm at peace with that, though I doubt she will be." she said.
"She won't hear about this from me..." I told her.
"I'll tell her at some point. No secrets between sisters... honesty is a red line for her. If she ever asks you outright, tell her the truth." she paused for a moment. "But you deserve to know that there's still a part of me that always wanted this. Even so, it cannot happen again. I locked it into a little box in my mind and swore I'd never let it out."
"But you did let it out, at the end?"
Mads just stared at me, her expression unreadable.
"Now that's my secret." she replied.
"Is it really, though?" I asked.
"You big fucking idiot. Let's get you to the Spaceport. But not without a little souvenir from your sister for when you're lonely..."

ASFS Ardent
Present day

Ava suddenly glances at the clock.
"Shit! He's going to be back soon!"
By the time I'm walking back, Ava is gone, and the room is back in order... mostly.
"That was so close... I barely got my door shut before I heard him in the hallway..." she sighs.

Last edited:
Back