Magecastle_Embassy_Building_A5
Discord
red_canine
ga.jpg

Sex Work Act
Category: Moral Decency | Area of Effect: Mild
Proposed by: Tinhampton | Onsite Topic

Recalling that this body has indirectly acted to protect sex workers via:

• GA#23 "Ban on Slavery and Trafficking," which forbids trafficking in persons,
  • GA#383 "Sexual Privacy Act," which authorises all private, consensual sexual activity between multiple people that does not harm others, and
  • GA#606 "Universal STI Counteraction," which expands access to free tests and treatments for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) for sex workers (among others) and institutes contact tracing programmes to alert those who may have been infected with STIs, but
Noting that it has said nothing about sex work in itself since the repeal of GA#179 "Clean Prostitute Act," and

Seeking to balance the member state's right to authorise sex work, the participants' rights to engage in it and the interests of public health...

The General Assembly hereby:

1. reserves to each member the decision to legalise, decriminalise or forbid the sale or purchase of sex,
  2. forbids any person in a member from selling or purchasing sex if they:
    1. do not, or else cannot, affirmatively consent to doing so (including due to being under the age of consent), or
    2. are currently infected with an STI which they can transmit to other people,
  3. requires purchasers of sex to follow the seller's instructions on the proper use of barrier protection while having sex with them,
  4. similarly encourages sellers of sex to properly use barrier protection while having sex,
  5. further requires sellers of sex to be regularly tested, free of charge, for any STIs that are prevalent in their area,
  6. demands that members which do not forbid the purchase of sex ensure that prospective purchasers of sex can readily access free STI testing, and
  7. clarifies that:
    1. this resolution is subject to prior and standing international law, except Article b(i), and
    2. Article b(i) does not require or encourage members to punish those who do not consent to selling or purchasing sex.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent

Last edited:
Against. Section a is a non-starter. Further, Section g.ii is an absolute band-aid. The issue there is that there is no alternative interpretation due to the active-voice wording, other than punishing sex workers. In the best-case interpretation (that if a sex worker has not consented to sex work, then they were necessarily "forced into" sex work) g.ii simply renders b.i inoperative. In the worst-case interpretation, member nations would be obligated to punish children for being victims of child prostitution, for example, where the "forced into" wording would not necessarily apply.

Last edited:
Against.
Clause One effectively makes this whole thing irrelevant.
If any nation forbids sex work, then they no longer have any use for this proposal.
It is more effective to just let individual nations pass protections that to force the entire General Assembly to vote on it, when half of the Member Nations may even have forbid sex work.

Against but I am also going to vote Against Magecastle's alternative. This is not a topic with consensus on WA. I personally don't want to express a view.

Last edited:
I withdrew this due to the controversy surrounding Article g(ii). (This does not mean I no longer believe this is a worthy proposal to pursue in principle.) It will be resubmitted, with different text, in the near future.

I am still Tinhampton. This version is slightly reworded from what it was last submission.
What changes were made? I fail to see any differences with the previous submission; not even g.ii has changed (old submission is here).

Edit: Since this was just withdrawn again and resubmitted with changes made, starting a new thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back