-
-
-
-
Pronouns
It
TNP Nation
Simone_Republic
This is now a (somewhat) serious post, since I note that the United Nations does sell plenty of merchandise (shop.un.org) and the United Nations Development Programme (which relies on voluntary donations) is particularly aggressive (shop.undp.org).

I am sure a plush doll of the Simone Republic Bear will sell really well and better than the stuff from Hello Kitty that the UN is selling right now.

I changed the resolution from a light-hearted post to a serious one, although I am aware that this is not a particularly important issue, so it could loiter for quite sometime before I submit it. I do not acknowledge it explicitly, but GAR#8 already specifies retailers within the World Assembly HQ, so no reason this cannot also involve hawking official merchandise.

And, as an aside, NationStates is supposed to be a web site to help Max Barry sell his books, so no reason not to have an IC retailer to raise some money to help the WA General Fund.

Draft 2

[box]The World Assembly,

Noting its popularity across member states throughout the multiverse, due to the voluntary participation of member states in its work;

Dismayed that such popularity has not been exploited to help fund the initiatives of the World Assembly (WA) by selling merchandise across the multiverse to citizens of member states and fans of the WA across the multiverse;

Hereby defines

"WA merchandise" as products of all kinds carrying WA IP and authorized for sale by WATCH;

"WA IP" as all intellectual property associated with the World Assembly and its constituent committees, including their names, logos, mascots, and other symbols deemed as such by WATCH;

"WATCH" to mean the WA Trust for Cultural Heritage;

1. Hereby requires WATCH to:
    • License business within member states to produce and ship WA merchandise;
    • Encourage individual member states to license their own flags, emblems, national symbols, important books and works of art, and other items deemed significant to the culture of a member state for use as WA merchandise;
    • Ensuring that all WA merchandise meet quality, environmental protection, safety, reliability and other requirements applicable to such WA merchandise;
    • Ensuring that all WA merchandise sold in an individual member state meet the technological, cultural, social, and other requirements, norms and practices of the said individual member state;
    • Promote and encourage exports of WA merchandise to non member states;
    • Arrange for retailing of WA merchandise in any manner that WATCH deems appropriate across all member states, based on the customary methods of retailing of member states across the multiverse;
  2. Hereby requires the World Assembly General Accounting Office to monitor the profits generated from WA merchandise, and further specifies that the World Assembly's share of the profits to be used:
    • Firstly, to fund the humanitarian activities of the WA;
    • Secondly, in the unlikely event of any funds remaining, for the benefit of the World Assembly General Fund;
  3. Hereby requires that, except in contravention with other resolutions of the World Assembly:
    • A member state may not prohibit its citizens from purchasing licensed merchandise unless it also prohibits all forms of commercial transactions by its citizens, in which case the said member state is required to purchase such amounts of official merchandise as the said member state deems necessary for distribution to its citizens to meet their demand for official merchandise;
    • A member state may not impose duties or sales taxes (or other analogous taxes) on official merchandise, or import and export restrictions, that it does not impose on similar products not carrying WA IP;
    • A member state is required to make the counterfeiting (and the abetting thereof) of official merchandise an offence under their own laws and subject to such penalties as the said member state may determine in accordance with its own laws.
[/box]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back