-
-
-
Pronouns
It
TNP Nation
Simone_Republic
History of this re-draft

This is a new draft of the previous draft "Repeal "Restrictions on Hydraulic Fracturing"" which was previously drafted by Cretox State with input from myself:

As Cretox State has gone CTE and TNP colleagues and myself have not been able to reach him, after internal discussions I have decided to rewrite the entire resolution (to avoid plagiarism issues) and to re-introduce the entire repeal proposal.

As Cretox State points out, "[w]hat's worse than no environmental resolutions? A bad environmental resolution. Fortunately, this one's largely redundant with two other, better, resolutions and only covers a hyper-specific subject."

Potential replacement

There is currently no replacement planned, I am not yet convinced that the GA actually needs to find a replacement:
  • I don't think a replacement is necessary if purely from the point of view of protecting groundwater (GAR#223, GAR#441 and GAR#453 should amply cover all plausible scenarios).
  • From the perspective of oil drilling, GAR#95, GAR#409 and GAR#510 should provide good protection already for offshore drilling (if you pollute the ocean, other nations may be affected - so this is not natsov).
  • Purely onshore drilling (if it does not affect another nation) I believe this should be a matter of natsov.

Draft 2
[box]The World Assembly,

Acknowledging the Assembly’s efforts to protect member states’ environment, ensure a safe water supply (GAR#223, GAR#441, GAR#453), and regulate oil drilling activities (GAR#95, GAR#409 and GAR#510);

Concerned that the targeted resolution, GAR#417 "Restrictions on Hydraulic Fracturing" fails to adequately regulate hydraulic fracturing as a method of oil and gas extraction, and left open substantial loopholes that make the regulations ineffective and impede introducing more comprehensive rules, including the following key issues:

1. The target only covers fracturing that uses "pressurized liquids" and thus allowing any producer to adopt recent advances in non-liquid fracturing techniques such as using natural gas, nitrogen, propane stimulation and pneumatic fracturing;
  2. The target “[p]rohibits the practice of hydraulic fracturing… which are in or within close range of land inhabited” but with the qualifier that this prohibition only applies if the fracturing (i) “poses a demonstrably significant threat of contamination”, (ii) “harms the water resources demonstrably neccessary to ensure the health of local communities” and/or (iii) “poses significant risk of other strongly detrimental health effects”, without defining key terms such as “demonstrably significant threat” or water resources “demonstrably necessary” for health, and what constitutes “strongly detrimental health effects”;
  3. The said resolution prevents member states from negotiating solutions to transboundary pollution resulting from fracturing that would be mutually beneficial to both states, and forces members bordering non-members to restrict their own operations while allowing those non-members to frack at will;

Thus believing that conditions imposed by the target impede the Assembly from considering enhanced rules fracturing, allow producers to easily get around existing rules, with no discernable effects on protecting the water supply, the health of inhabitants, the environment or provide a better path forward for member states in the multi-verse that require fossil fuels rather than more advanced forms of energy;

Hereby repeals GA 417 "Restrictions on Hydraulic Fracturing."[/box]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back