Loh

One cat to rule them all
-
-
TNP Nation
Aenglaland
Discord
thecatofwar
This is something that has been in my mind for some time. It's a small, simple addition to the Legal Code, but I believe it would be interesting to have it. As it stands now, the status of The Northern Light within the region isn't legally recognised. I'd like to see that changed. Therefore, I propose to this Assembly the following:

Section 9 of the Legal Code is amended to read as follows:
Section 9.5: Regional Nation
23. The nation of The Northern Light is recognised as a cultural symbol of The North Pacific.

Last edited:
I actually like this idea and it makes a lot of sense. Am interested to hear the thoughts of others.

Because I like my laws clear and redundant, could we define "Cultural symbol", and if a protection is granted, to specify such protection?

I am not sure that this is something that we need to or should be codifying in the law. It might be valuable to specify that only The Northern Light can claim authority when issuing TNP dispatches, but I do not think enshrining it as a cultural symbol is necessary.

While I appreciate the author's efforts, I'm against the fundamentals of this bill. The Legal Code currently establishes that the sitting Delegate can grant RO powers to a nation created for the purpose of performing government functions. What nations they use and how they choose to utilize these nations should be left up to their prerogative. TNL has been the nation of choice for years by the executive because of the tech support granted to it but that doesn't mean it should/will always be the case.

This grants no additional authority to TNL, it merely establishes them as a cultural icon/symbol. This is a largely symbolic gesture. As such, I have no issues moving forward with this.

I motion to vote

This grants no additional authority to TNL, it merely establishes them as a cultural icon/symbol. This is a largely symbolic gesture. As such, I have no issues moving forward with this.

I motion to vote
Since this has been on for quite a lot of time:

I second the motion.
Motion denied. Legislative proposals must be advanced by the author of the bill.

Legislative Proposal Procedure
  1. Any citizen may introduce a proposal to enact, amend or repeal laws by creating a thread in the Regional Assembly forum or Private Halls subforum.
  2. The associated text of the proposal will be contained in a single quote tag within the opening post of the proposal thread. The citizen who introduced the proposal may alter this text within the opening post at their discretion. This text shall be the official text of the bill.
  3. The citizen who introduced the proposal may call for a vote by posting "motion to vote", or a functional equivalent in the thread.
  4. During the five days after a vote is called for, the citizen who introduced the proposal may continue to amend it. This period, hereafter referred to as Formal Debate, may be shortened at the citizen who introduced the proposal's request. Once Formal Debate has ended, the proposal may no longer be amended, and the Speaker will schedule a vote to begin.
  5. No proposal will be scheduled for a vote that includes changes to more than one document, unless it includes the following clause or a functional equivalent:
No portion of this bill will take effect unless/until all portions take effect.

Last edited:
I've decided to not move forward with this. Perhaps at another time and with different, more elaborate wording.

Thank you all for your feedback.

Last edited:
Back