It
TNP Nation
Simone_Republic
ga.jpg

International Art Gallery
Category: Education and Creativity | Area of Effect: Artistic
Proposed by: Thousand Branches, Co-authored by: Fhaengshia | Onsite Topic

The World Assembly,

Applauding the rich artistic traditions of the World Assembly’s diverse multitude of member states,

Concerned, however, that cultural divides and a lack of international cooperation often lead to a lack of multicultural artistic knowledge,

Wishing to educate and inspire a new generation of artists among WA citizens by creating a public gallery of artwork from member states of all sizes, cultures, and histories,

Hereby:

Establishes the Artistic Retention Trusteeship (ART) with the task of creating, maintaining, and expanding two galleries:
  1. The Publicly Available International Net Treasury (PAINT), a public and easily available online repository with the purpose of documenting the artwork of member states. The ART must:
    1. Visit the public museums and galleries of all consenting member nations to photograph, audio/videotape, or otherwise record a digital display of all exhibited artworks within, except when:
      1. a nation would present a direct or indirect danger to any dispatched photographers or historians.
      2. Photographing or otherwise recording the artwork would damage or degrade the quality of the piece.
    2. Research and compose, to the best of their ability, a short historical or contextual explanation of each recorded artwork for study thereof.
    3. Publish all digital artwork displays on the PAINT website alongside any research done on the histories of the artworks.
    4. Establish an onsite channel for reporting mistakes done in research or origins of any artworks; All such reports must be investigated and changed accordingly.
    5. Ensure effective and adequate organization and working order of the PAINT, including searchable labelling of artwork by nation, artist, time period, collection, and any other labels deemed relevant by the ART.
  2. The Public Institution for the Exhibition of Craft Expertise (PIECE), a physical gallery with the purpose of presenting the greatest masterpieces of each member nation:
    1. The Office of Building Management must allocate a sufficiently accessible (to as many WA nations as possible) and sizable portion of land within international World Assembly territory for the purposes of building the PIECE.
    2. The ART must:
      1. Build and maintain the PIECE, accommodating adequate space for the volume of donated artworks and providing additional ability to expand as necessary for future donations to the gallery.
      2. Establish a system of outgoing loans with member state governments wherein governments may loan up to two pieces of artwork to the PIECE for a period of 3 years, choosing at the end of that period to either renew the loans on those pieces of artwork, exchange them with other pieces, or remove them entirely.
      3. Ensure that all artworks being loaned to the gallery are of a reasonable size, moral decency, and have not been illegally or immorally sourced. Additionally, to the best of its ability, consent must be ascertained by any living artists or creators of works being loaned to the PIECE.
      4. Conserve all active artworks in the PIECE, ensuring they are not damaged or altered during their time in the PIECE. If a piece becomes impossible to conserve for any reason, ART may cancel the outgoing loan and request another artwork from the originating nation.
      5. Create caption cards for all submitted artworks based on any information provided by donating member states, making sure to include the artists and countries of origin.

Encourages member states to expand artistic study programs to include foreign artwork and artistic technique as well as student exchange programs to other WA member states.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent

Last edited by a moderator:
Overview
This proposal, "International Art Gallery" seeks to create two galleries: (i) an online gallery known as "Publicly Available International Net Treasury" (PAINT) exhibiting photographs of all exhibited artworks within member states and to further research on such artworks, and (ii) a physical gallery located within the territory of the World Assembly known as "Public Institution for the Exhibition of Craft Expertise" (PIECE) to present the "masterpieces of each member nation".

Recommendation
We would expect most developed nations to have online art galleries and plenty of physical galleries, and there are plenty of exhibition opportunities for both masterpieces and upcoming artists, and everything in between. A large number of commercial enterprises and private foundations around the world also work towards digitising works of art, books, sculptures, and other matters of national significance, and do not really need the assistance of the WA. Even if we look at encouraging art works coming from less developed nations, it seems that the proposal, as written, requires member states to take the initiative to ensure that the artworks are documented by PAINT or are placed within PIECE. Within the multi-verse, the WA headquarters is officially defined as a "lunatic asylum" for drunks and miscreants (GA#8) and therefore probably inappropriate for a gallery in any case.

For the above reasons, the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs recommends a vote Against the World Assembly Resolution proposal at vote, "International Art Gallery".

This IFV Recommendation was written in collaboration with our World Assembly Legislative League partners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Against. I have zero talent or interest in art, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ so will follow recommendation of IFV.

(IC) If this passes and someone really wants, we are happy to donate a used 40 feet container, park it outside the WA HQ outside its two bars, and send some canvas and buckets of paint (or crayons, given the average age of the ambassadors at WA). Feel free to create some art for display for three years. We don't really need them back.

Last edited:
For

This is a cute idea; whilst I have a few issues with the writing and some specific nitpicks (like ensuring the accessibility of the PAINT) it's not such a high-stakes resolution that requires voting down as a result.

Against - Digitalisation of these museum by forcing us to publish photographed "counterfeits" of these artifacts online (on the PAINT website) will only accelerate the closure of these museums due to low footfall.

Against - Digitalisation of these museum by forcing us to publish photographed "counterfeits" of these artifacts online (on the PAINT website) will only accelerate the closure of these museums due to low footfall.
Micromanagement at its finest. Against.
I'm not seeing anything that forces member nations to participate -- the visiting museums mandate only applies to "consenting member nations". Am I missing something?

Last edited:
I'm not seeing anything that forces member nations to participate -- the visiting museums mandate only applies to "consenting member nations". Am I missing something?
The "consenting" statement is in clause 1.1 so I assume it applies only to clause 1 (so-called "Paint") not clause 2.

Last edited:
The "consenting" statement is in clause 1.1 so I assume it applies only to clause 1 (so-called "Paint") not clause 2.
Section 2 does not, as far as I can see, bind any member nation. Reading it again though, I do question how the PAINT is supposed to obtain "the greatest masterpieces of each member nation" outside of voluntary donation in the case that donation of said "greatest masterpieces" does not occur.

Last edited:
Section 2 does not, as far as I can see, bind any member nation. Reading it again though, I do question how the PAINT is supposed to obtain "the greatest masterpieces of each member nation" outside of voluntary donation in the case that donation of said "greatest masterpieces" does not occur.
In that case, wouldn't the proposal be illegal given that it is completely optional?

Last edited:
For

Understanding participation is not mandatory, as per clauses 1.1.a ("Visit the public museums and galleries of all consenting member nations"), 2.b.ii ("governments may loan up" and "either renew the loans on those pieces of artwork, exchange them with other pieces, or remove them entirely");

Considering it is the WA's (through ART) responsibility to procure, process, organize and care for the art pieces on both PAINT and PIECE; and

Believing that more art promotion spaces and programs in the multiverse are never a bad thing;

The Federation of Windurst votes FOR the "International Art Gallery" resolution at WA's General Assembly.

The IFV's WA Headquarters argument makes no sense, but ok.

Regardless, this has no compensation mandate -- it's consensual, but I don't see why anyone would consent to giving away their artwork without being compensated -- in which case this does nothing. Combined with the self-contradiction issue with Clause 2 and the ambiguous language in several clauses, I'm changing my vote to against.

As above. Anyways, "International Art Gallery" was discarded by the WA for rule violations after garnering 10,476 votes (64.8%) in favor and 5,689 votes against.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back