Greater Nabeul
Discord
novemberstars#8888
ga.jpg

Repeal: “Blood Donation Safety And Equality Act”
Category: Repeal | GA #546
Proposed by: Magecastle Embassy Building A5 | Onsite Topic
Replacement: Biomedical Donation Omnibus Act

General Assembly Resolution #546 “Blood Donation Safety and Equality Act” (Category: Civil Rights; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The World Assembly,

Affirming
its support for equality for minorities from discrimination, and recognising the noble aims of the resolution to promote this aim in the scope of blood donation,

Believing, however, that the resolution ultimately does more harm than good, due to the resolution's criminalisation of knowing donation of blood carrying a disease making no exception for donation of that blood for medical research,

Observing that as a result, the resolution dramatically harms world healthcare and medical research, as the diseased blood may very well be useful for research -- especially that on the disease carried by that blood -- even if the blood would be unusable for administration to a patient,

Noting that the resolution also fails to adequately stop discrimination in blood donation and only pushes it a level back, as there is nothing stopping member nations from allowing minority groups to donate blood but then immediately discarding the donated blood due to the donor's belonging to that minority group,

Seeking to open the doors to a replacement that resolves these issues so as to improve world anti-discrimination law,

Repeals "Blood Donation Safety and Equality Act".
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent

Last edited:
Against. I don't mind the repeal, I don't like the replacement much. I wrote about it on the Forum in some detail.

Basically, my view is that the US FDA only rescinded the vCJD related blood donor ban on anyone who lived in the UK between 1980-1996 (and a similar ban on Europeans donating blood) in May of this year, and Australia only in April of this year. Some countries still have this ban. There's still no test on vCJD in blood.

So the only clause I insisted on adding is to accommodate blood / tissue etc donation bans in the event another new disease emerges that cannot be detected through tests. The replacement ended up with a proposal for an international bureaucratic mechanism which I dislike and the draft replacement does not look good.

Otherwise I would have been ambivalent as to whether we keep the current resolution, or ditch it with the new one.

Last edited:
Against. I don't mind the repeal, I don't like the replacement much. I wrote about it on the Forum in some detail.

Basically, my view is that the US FDA only rescinded the vCJD related blood donor ban on anyone who lived in the UK between 1980-1996 (and a similar ban on Europeans donating blood) in May of this year, and Australia only in April of this year. Some countries still have this ban. There's still no test on vCJD in blood.

So the only clause I insisted on adding is to accommodate blood / tissue etc donation bans in the event another new disease emerges that cannot be detected through tests. The replacement ended up with a proposal for an international bureaucratic mechanism which I dislike and the draft replacement does not look good.

Otherwise I would have been ambivalent as to whether we keep the current resolution, or ditch it with the new one.
The replacement allows member nations to "ban administration or donation of biomedical tissue from all persons who are or have recently been in an area wherein there is or has recently been an outbreak of a disease lacking accurate testing and that can be transmitted via biomedical tissue" -- committee involvement was scrapped.

Present.
Scratch that, for.

Last edited:
I raised the point on vCJD and Mad Cow (and forgot about LGBTQ+ discrimination altogether, I apologize for that oversight back then) when this was originally debated back in March 2021.

I voted Present back when this resolution was debated back then and I am still very ambivalent on this issue now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back