OOC: Hidden Locust (Plant Pandemic RP)

TNP Nation
Demescia

DgOrKjG.png

Premise

Demescia is considered the breadbasket of Meterra and parts of the world. She is also, go figure, an alleged harbor of bioweapons. So when bizarre plant diseases sweep through crops there and abroad—well, all eyes are on her, and all bets are on mayhem. This is a pandemic roleplay of the peculiar kind. Instead of plaguing people it's plaguing, well, plants. But where and how this pandemic hits could have wild impacts on the food industries and agriculture on the world stage.

A global quest for answers will ensue, starting from the biotechnologists in Verkas who pray it's not one their pet projects gone amok, and ending in the international bodies getting to the bottom of this and figuring out who the hell is responsible for this mess.

Specifics

Plant viruses are ravaging Demescia's crops, and may even spread to other parts of the world. These shall be known as the Demescian Hidden Locust Viruses (DHLV). The first variant (DHLV I) will affect soybeans, but two other variants will spring up that affect rice (DHLV II) and maize and teosinte, which is used for livestock feed, (DHLV III).

You can choose what variants afflict your country, if any. You can also opt in to the roleplay as a country that is indirectly impacted by the pandemic.

I'm planning on three parts. In Part One, the virus will just be in Demescia, as scientists in Harglas Technology Park work together to determine what exactly it is and how it spreads. Part Two is when it'll spread to other countries, and is therefore when a lot of the global pandemic RP will be. Finally, by Part Three the pandemic will have fizzled out as the viruses kill more quickly than they infect. This is basically when y'all get to blame Demescia. (Or not? Up to you.)

Whenever there's new information open to the public I'll post it here so that peeps can keep track of it. For example, ways to keep the disease from spreading and how the virus is believed to be transmitted. I may also suggest ways that your governments can get involved if you're out of ideas, but doing it is (again) up to you.

I'm going to be careful not to fuck anyone over (at least not permanently) with the virology. Prydania has already checked over what I have planned thus far and said I'm in the clear. Furthermore, and most importantly, you choose what happens to your country. If you don't want it to suffer too much, it doesn't have to.

If you want to collab with me and have your scientists investigate and discover things about the viruses as well, just ask.

Just indicate each country and how they'll be affected.
Code:
Nation:
[Nation]
Impact:
[DHLV I (Soybeans), DHLV II (Rice) and/or DLHV III (Maize & Teosinte)]
[OR "Indirect" (if you want to be indirectly affected.)]

Last edited:
Nation:
Trinster
Impact:
Indirect, as we are mostly an importer of grains.

Id be up for bringing in some Trinnish bioscience guys to help look into it too.

Nation
Arcanstotska

Impact
DLHV III via imported meat
I'm all for having some Arcanstotskan scientists help with this!!!

Nation: Saintonge
Impact: Indirect

If I get involved, can Saintonge be part of the solution? (For instance, there is a virus-resistant strain of in Saintonge/Santonian agronomists develop.)

Nation:
Pozolanni
Impact:
DHLV I (Soybeans) and DLHV III

Pozolanni would definitely send some scientists and funding to combat the outbreak, especially considering how important the agricultural industry is to us.

Last edited:
Nation:
Kingdom Republic of Ceretis

Impact:
If I get involved it'd most likely be regarding some collection of the following: Disease detection, Importation prohibitions, Food prices, Global market demand, Global humanitarian needs, Scientific research, Military research and concerns, and Environmental concerns/impact.

Unsure about direct impact, but there is potential, not going to leave that option out, but not directly ruling it in at the moment. Possibly it would be detected on import or affect some crop test plots being run by the Dept of Agriculture or some other thing.

Overall sounds like an interesting idea.

Nation:
Scalvia
Impact:
DLHV III, as well as other indirect impacts.
The Scalvian Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries would work in close cooperation with other agencies around the world to help find a solution to the situation.

Back