Deropia
Discord
Dero#2736
ga.jpg

Repeal: Preventing Identity Theft
Category: Repeal | GA #576
Proposed by: Saint Tomas and the Northern Ice Islands | Onsite Topic
Replacement: None​

General Assembly Resolution #576 “Preventing Identity Theft” (Category: International Security; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The World Assembly,

Puzzled at Clause 5 of GA#576 "Preventing Identity Theft", which mandates that "in cases where victims were affected financially by the relevant identity theft, the total sum of losses shall be repaid to the victim",

Dismayed that if member states are unable to recover all of the money stolen by the perpetrators of identity theft, they may have to pay the victims themselves in order to avoid facing fines and sanctions for noncompliance,

Shocked that member states will have to resort to paying exorbitant amounts of money to victims of identity theft due to the multitude of phishing and credit card scams that occur on a daily basis, resulting in less money being available for disaster relief or pillow advertisement campaigns,

Distressed that this clause may even prompt unscrupulous residents of WA states to fraudulently claim to be victims of identity theft in order to obtain "monetary compensation", further draining member states of funds, and

Believing that this critical flaw with GA#576 is sufficient to warrant its repeal so as to prevent more member states from forking out precious taxpayer money to compensate those negligent enough to fall for these identity theft scams,

Hereby repeals General Assembly Resolution #576, "Preventing Identity Theft".
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent

Last edited:
I lean against. The problem in real life is that a bank that suffers from stolen identity should in theory be able to compensate customers in a massive identity leak (touch wood). In the case of Experian, TransUnion or Equifax leaking (in the US), if anything happens due to their gross negligence, it's not clear who can compensate, short of a massive government bailout. That's a massive systematic risk.

I am not keen on this resolution unless someone passes a resolution to resolve the personal credit rating agency issue. But I don't disagree with the point raised on Discord that if people are stupid enough to fall for random phishing links, they shouldn't get government compensation.

Last edited:
For?

No major errors in the repeal, and makes a convincing claim as to why the specified section of the target is flawed. Although I cannot see why pillow advertisement campaigns would be seen as more important than helping victims of identity theft. :P

I lean against. The problem in real life is that a bank that suffers from stolen identity should in theory be able to compensate customers in a massive identity leak (touch wood). In the case of Experian, TransUnion or Equifax leaking (in the US), if anything happens due to their gross negligence, it's not clear who can compensate, short of a massive government bailout. That's a massive systematic risk.

I am not keen on this resolution unless someone passes a resolution to resolve the personal credit rating agency issue. But I don't disagree with the point raised on Discord that if people are stupid enough to fall for random phishing links, they shouldn't get government compensation.
If this goes through (as I think it will) I might try to draft something specific to personal credit reference agencies, as that is a more specific concern of mine over the broader issue of phishing links.

Last edited:
Repeal "Preventing Identity Theft" was passed 13,157 votes to 2,753. This is Saint Tomas and the Northern Ice Islands second General Assembly resolution authored.

This thread has been locked and will be archived for safekeeping. The Ministry of World Assembly Affairs thanks all those who participated. If you wish to have this thread reopened please contact the Delegate or a member of the Administration team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back