Marcus' Model Railway Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attachment screws and joining clips.

train.jpg

So what's inside?

ProductModelQuantity
SL-92 Peco OO Gauge Code 100 Streamline Short Radius Left Hand Insulfrog Point or Turnout (SL92)SL-923
SL-95 Peco OO Gauge Code 100 Streamline Medium Radius Right Hand Insulfrog Point or Turnout (SL95 SL 95)SL-952
SL-96 Peco OO Gauge Code 100 Streamline Medium Radius Left Hand Insulfrog Point or Turnout (SL96 SL 96)SL-962
SL-91 Peco OO Gauge Code 100 Streamline Short Radius Right Hand Insulfrog Point or Turnout (SL91 SL 91)SL-913
ST-2002 Short Straight SETRACK multipack of 4 x ST-202 (ST2002)ST-20021
SL-10 Peco OO gauge Rail Joiners/Fishplates. (Pack of 24) (SL10)SL-101
ST-2003 Special Short Straight SETRACK multipack of 4 x ST-203 (ST2003)ST-20031

train.jpg

Framed photographs and text about Cardiff-born author Roald Dahl.​

1719873295771.png

The text reads: Roald Dahl was born in Llandaff, Cardiff, in 1916.

His Norwegian father had come to Cardiff in the 1880s to seek his fortune, and became joint owner of a successful ship broking business.

His wife, Sophie Magdalene, was also Norwegian.

Their first child was named after the Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen.

He, and his three younger sisters, were christened in the Norwegian Church just outside Cardiff docks.

This church closed in 1974 and fell into disrepair.

The building was saved and moved to its present site in 1990.

Roald Dahl was President of the Preservation Trust, until his death in 1990.

Dahl attended the Cathedral School in Llandaff, where his chief legacy was ‘The Great Mouse Plot of 1924’, which featured a dead mouse slipped into a jar of sweets, and gave an early indication of the sense of humour for which he became famous.

Dahl is remembered in Cardiff by the Norwegian Church arts Centre and by Roald Dahl Plass in the revamped dock area.

There is also a ‘blue plaque’, placed, not on the house where he was born, but on the wall of the former sweet shop where the Great Mouse Plot of 1924 took place.

Framed photographs and text about Welsh aviator and airship builder Ernest Thompson Willows, along with photos of a few of his airships.​

1719873587580.png

The text reads:

Ernest Thompson Willows, the pioneer Welsh aviator and airship builder, was born in Cardiff on 11 July 1886.

He was the first person in the UK to hold a pilots certificate for an airship.

Willows, who trained as a dentist, was just 19 when he built Willows No. 1, his first airship, in 1905, and flew it from East moors.

The flight lasted 85 minutes.

Willows No. 2, in which he landed outside Cardiff City Hall on 4 June 1910, was re-built in the same year as No. 3, named the City of Cardiff, and flown from London to Paris.

This was the first airship crossing from England to France.

Willows arrived at Paris on 28 December 1910, and celebrated New Year’s Eve with a flight around the Eiffel Tower.

Willows No. 4 4 was built in Birmingham and sold to the Admiralty, becoming His Majesty’s naval Airship No. 2.

Framed photographs and text about television writer and novelist Terry Nation, along with photos of the Doctor Who daleks.​

1719873708274.png

The text reads: The television writer and novelist Terry Nation is best known for creating the Daleks for the Doctor Who TV series in 1963.

Nation was born in Cardiff in 1930.

His writing career began in comedy, contributing scripts for comedians such as Eric Sykes and Frankie Howerd.

Unemployed in 1963, after Tony Hancock had sacked him as a scriptwriter, Nation accepted an offer to write for a new BBC science-fiction programme.

The result was the second Doctor Who serial, The Daleks.

Daleks soon became the series’ most popular aliens.

In the 1970s, he created a new science-fiction drama series, Survivors, for the BBC, and followed this with Blake’s 7, which ran for four seasons from 1978 to 1981, and acquired a worldwide following.

In 1980, Nation moved to Los Angeles, where he developed programme ideas.

He suffered from poor health in his final years, and died from emphysema in Los Angeles in 1997.

So after leaving 'The Great Western', full of cooked breakfast and coffee, we went shopping.

Cleo, hit the clothes and jewellery shops, she didn't see anything she wanted...........Phew! :lol:

I saw a locomotive in the second-hand shop, but I needed to have a think about it first.

So we ended up in 'The Gatekeeper', another Wetherspoons pub that's not too far from Cardiff Castle.

THE GATEKEEPER​

1719874402494.png

This pub is near the site of one of the five gateways through the medieval city walls.

Originally called Wales Gate, it became known as Blounts Gate after a former gatekeeper.

A blue plaque nearby indicates the location of the gateway to the Town Quay.

Although the nearest water is now more than 200m away, until 150 years ago, the Taff flowed along what is now Westgate Street and, until the end of the 18th century, the quay was Cardiff’s main outlet to the sea.

So after a couple of pints of Abbot's ale, I decided that I would buy that loco I saw earlier and that would give Cleo another chance to find something she wanted.

Sadly Cleo didn't see anything she really liked in a price range she was happy with. :(

I did get my locomotive though. :)

Hornby R338 Class 29 D6103 in BR Green​

train.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back