Marcus' Model Railway Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.png

Greater Anglia train

On the strike days, Greater Anglia will only be able to run very few services, with no services at all on regional or branch lines, and other train operators will also be affected by the strike action.

The only services to run will be on routes from London Liverpool Street to Norwich, Colchester, Southend Victoria, Cambridge, and Stansted Airport.

Services will be far less frequent than normal, and only operate for limited hours.

There will be no rail-replacement buses provided to replace trains not running due to the strike.

Greater Anglia’s website at https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/strikes has details of the revised timetables and the times of the first and last trains on the strike days.

Trains that do run are not expected to start before 7.30am, operate only to an hourly frequency, and the last trains of the day will run earlier than usual.

Because of the strikes, on Thursday, 2nd, and Saturday, 4th February, the first services of the day will start later than usual, and services will not be back to a normal full service until the early afternoon.

Anyone who has already booked tickets to travel on the strike days can change them for use on either the day before or up to two days later, or apply for a refund from the outlet where they originally bought their tickets.

Passenger assistance will continue to be available for all trains that do run.

However, anyone who does require assistance when using the train and who cannot avoid travelling on strike days is strongly advised to plan their journey and book their assistance in advance if possible.

Jamie Burles, Greater Anglia managing director said:

“We are very sorry that once again our customers will be disrupted by strikes. We’re only able to run a fraction of our usual services, so our advice again is to avoid using our trains on strike days. The rail industry is working hard to resolve these disputes and talks will continue with ASLEF and RMT to reach an agreement.”

30th January 2023

image.png

Suppliers disappointed over lack of plans for Scottish network​

Information gap ++

The Railway Industry Association in Scotland has said it is disappointed that the Scottish Government has postponed publishing its plans for funding railway infrastructure north of the border for a second time.

Publication of the Control Period 7 High-Level Output Specification and Statement of Funds Available between April 2024 and March 2029 was due in November.

The publication date was then moved to 27 January, but this has also been missed.

RIA said supply chain companies needed clarity about future spending so that they can plan their businesses.

New station ++

Demolition gangs have moved in at the site of the future Willenhall station in the West Midlands, and work is also under way stabilising the old mine workings under the site, which must be done before construction can begin.

Three disused buildings which formerly dealt with waste are being removed.

The demolition follows the move of the recycling business which formerly occupied the site off Rose Hill.

The new station in Walsall is part of the £55 million project to restore passenger trains between Willenhall and Darlaston.

Rugby specials ++

GWR will be running 17 extra trains to Cardiff Central on Saturday for the Six Nations rugby match against Ireland.

GWR said it expects to provide a full Saturday timetable following industrial action on Friday, which will mean 38 trains will arrive in total, providing almost 30,000 seats for fans.

30th January 2023

Storytime with Marcus

When I was a child I used to read these amazing stories, by the the good Rev. Audrey and the colourful illustrations by C. Reginald Dalby, which fuelled my imagination about trains.

My son is grown up now, so he doesn't appreciate my stories anymore. :lol:

But I still like to look back at them with fond memories.

Written by Awdry in 1943 to entertain his son, Christopher, who was suffering from measles at the time, this was the first book in what was to become The Railway Series.

The book tells the stories of kind Edward, pompous Gordon and foolish Henry.

So now I hereby present to you 'Edward & Gordon' the second story from the first book in The Railway Series.

I hope you enjoy it. :)

image.png

The next story tells of Edward’s encounter with the resident shed braggart Gordon.

He promises a splendid sight when he rushes through with the Express, however, all that Gordon gets to pull that day is dirty trucks, and they prove too much for him as he becomes stranded on a hill, and has to be rescued by Edward.

However, Gordon forgets his manners and speeds off into the distance following Edward’s assistance.

Despite feeling unappreciated, Edward gets his reward when his Driver promises him a smart new coat of paint!

Last edited:
image.png

One of the engines in Edward's shed was called Gordon.

He was very big and very proud.

"You watch me this afternoon little Edward" he boasted "as I rush through with the express; that will be a splendid sight for you".

Just then his driver pulled the lever. "Goodbye little Edward" said Gordon as he passed away, "Look out for me this afternoon".

Edward went off to to do some shunting

Last edited:
image.png

Edward liked shunting.

It was fun playing with trucks he would come up quietly and give them a pull.

"Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh!" screamed the trucks "Whatever is happening?"

Then he would stop and the silly trucks would go bump into each other

"Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh!" they cried again.

Edward pushed them until they were running nicely, and when they weren't expecting it he would stop;

one of them would be sure to run onto another line.

image.png

Edward played until there were no more trucks then he stopped to rest.

Presently he heard a whistle.

Gordon came puffing along very slowly, and very crossly.

Instead of nice shining coaches he was pulling a lot of very dirty coal trucks.

"A goods train! A goods train! A goods train!" He grumbled.

"The shame of it, the shame of it, the shame of it."

He went slowly through, with the trucks clattering and banging behind him.

Edward laughs and went to find some more trucks.

Last edited:
image.png

Afterwards a porter came and spoke to his driver. "Gordon can't get up the hill."
"Will you take Edward and push him please?"
They found Gordon halfway up the hill and very cross.

His driver and fireman were talking to him severely.

"You're not trying!" they told him.

"I can't do it" said Gordon. "The noisy trucks hold an engine back so. If they were coaches now - clean, sensible things that come quietly - that would be different."

image.png

Edwards driver came up. "we've come to push," he said.

"No use at all," said Gordon.

"You wait and see," said Edwards driver.

They brought the train back to the bottom of the hill.

Edward came up behind the brake van ready to push.
"Peep peep, I'm ready," said Edward.

"Poop poop, no good," grumbled Gordon

The guard blew his whistle and they pulled and pushed as hard as they could.

image.png

"I can't do it, I can't do it, I can't do it," puffed Gordon,

"I will do it, I will do, it I will do it," puffed Edward.

"I can't do it, I will do it, I can't do it, I will do it, I can't do it, I will do it," they puffed together.

Edward pushed and puffed and puffed and pushed as hard as ever he could, and almost before he realised it, Gordon found himself at the top of the hill.

image.png

"I've done it, I've done it, I've done it." he said proudly and forgot all about Edward pushing behind.

He didn't wait to say "Thank you", but ran on so fast that he passed two stations before his driver could make him stop.

Edward had pushed so hard that when he got to the top he was out of breath.

Gordon ran on so fast that Edward was left behind.

image.png

The guard waved and waved, but Edward couldn't catch up.

He ran onto the next station, and there the driver and fireman said they were very pleased with him.

The fireman gave him a nice long drink of water, and the driver said,

"I'll get out my paint tomorrow and give you a beautiful new coat of blue with red stripes, then you'll be the smartest engine in the shed"

Last edited:
30th January 2023

Erlestoke Manor Fund issues update on steam locomotive 7812 Erlestoke Manor​

image.png

7812 at Bewdley MPD

Erlestoke Manor Fund has issued an update on restoring its two GWR Manor Class 4-6-0s, 7802 Bradley Manor and 7812 Erlestoke Manor, back to operational service.

Both Manors are owned by the Erlestoke Manor Fund and have been out of service in recent years.

Erlestoke Manor has been undergoing a planned full overhaul whilst Bradley Manor suffered an incident while making a guest appearance away from its Severn Valley Railway base.

Both are nearing their return to service, one this April and the other next year.

image.png

New cylinder block on chassis of 7802 Bradley Manor

7802 Bradley Manor

In January, major progress with Bradley Manor was made when new cylinder blocks were temporarily fitted to the chassis to check their overall fit and alignment, and to mark-up them for further work before they were removed again.

Since Erlestoke Manor has left Tyseley, work has accelerated in returning Bradley Manor to operational service.

Regular volunteer working parties have prepared the frames for repainting and continuing to construct a new 3,500 gallon tender that eventually will accompany the locomotive.

It is hoped that Bradley Manor will be back in service early next year.

image.png

Erlestoke Manor on its first run to Highley last December

7812 Erlestoke Manor

Erlestoke Manor returned to the Severn Valley Railway last December for mileage accumulation and acceptance running but had only covered 60 miles when a warm axle box was detected.

To fix the problem required use of the wheel drop at Bridgnorth, but as it was near to the close season, it was decided to keep it in storage in Bridgnorth Works before carrying out the repairs in February.

The aim is to accumulate further mileage once the close-season track works at Bridgnorth have been completed.

It is hoped that Erlestoke Manor will be formally launched back into passenger service at the Severn Valley Railway’s Spring Steam Gala from 14th to 16 April.

image.png

Large Prairie no. 5164

Erlestoke Manor Fund owns a third locomotive that has recently been acquired, ex-GWR Large Prairie no. 5164, but is currently in store at Barrow Hill.

Work to return it to service will start once 7802 Bradley Manor is operational again.

Because of the current inflationary pressures, the fund is purchasing items required for its overhaul well in advance of starting the work.

30th January 2023

‘Western’ locomotive arrives in Didcot ahead of loan from National Railway Museum​

image.png

D1023 has arrived at the Didcot Railway Centre

D1023 Western Fusilier has arrived at the Didcot Railway Centre ahead of a five-year loan from the National Railway Museum in York.

The loan move will see D1023 stay on static display for five years, with the NRM keen to only loan locos out to an area that they once operated.

It is hoped that the Class 52 helps to tell the story of the railways in the Didcot area.

An NRM spokesperson said:

“The National Railway Museum in York has agreed a five-year, static loan with Didcot Railway Centre for the loan of D1023 Western Fusilier.

“The locomotive has arrived at the Didcot Railway Centre where it will be on display in the area it once operated.

“The National Railway Museum is keen to ensure that any vehicles that go out on loan go to places where they may be historically significant. With the Westerns being built for the Western Region of British Railways, we hope that Western Fusilier will help to tell the story of the railways in that area.”

30th January 2023

Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway’s fleet to be joined by steam locomotive 75014 Braveheart!

The heritage railway will see British Railways Standard class 4 4-6-0 No. 75014 Braveheart visit from Dartmouth Steam Railway.

image.png

75014 Braveheart

Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway will see visiting locomotive 75014 Braveheart join the railway’s resident fleet for the first three months of its 2023 season.

Visiting from the Dartmouth Steam Railway in Devon, the locomotive will make its way to Toddington in early March and will leave following the railway’s Cotswold Festival of Steam which will take place from the 12th to the 14th of May.

Braveheart’s visit will mark the very first time a member of the class has operated on the line in its preserved capacity.

No. 75014 Was built at Swindon Works in December 1951 by British Railways (which had recently been nationalised) as part of 80 of the standard 4 class which were built there from 1951 to 1954.

The locomotive worked at an array of London Midland and Western Region depots and later worked the Cambrian route between Shrewsbury, Aberystwyth and Barmouth.

Withdrawn from service in December 1966, 75014 was sold in 1967 to Woodham Brothers scrap dealer in Barry where it sat until 1981 and was thankfully purchased by a group of preservationists at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.

At the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, 75014 was restored to main-line standard and later worked the ‘Jacobite’ service which operates between Fort William and Mallaig in the Scottish West Highlands.

The locomotive was named Braveheart in celebration of the film made by Mel Gibson which was shot in the West Highlands.

In 2002, Braveheart was purchased by the Dartmouth Steam Railway where it is a resident locomotive.

image.png

British Railways Standard class 4, 4-6-0 No. 75014 Braveheart

Richard Johnson, Chairman of GWSR Plc said:

“This will be a very welcome three-month addition to the GWSR’s locomotive fleet and we are very grateful to the Dartmouth Steam Railway & Riverboat Company for lending their locomotive to us.

“It fills a gap left following the withdrawal of Great Western 2-8-0T no. 4270 on expiry of its boiler certificate in January this year and before the under-overhaul 1905-built 2-8-0 no. 2807 returns to service later in the year.

“75014 is in fact, an entirely appropriate engine to be on our railway as during the 1950s and 1960s, other members of the class regularly worked over our line and in the wider Cheltenham and Gloucester areas.”

The class is an excellent choice to join the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railways home fleet due to the class’s local credentials, especially as the May Cotswold Festival of Steam, features a theme for 2023 of ‘Cheltenham & Gloucester Steam Days’.

Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway will see services back in operation during weekends from the 4th of March and will feature a number of special trains during the Cheltenham Festival from the 14th to the 17th of March.

30th January 2023

Swanage Railway to hold a ‘behind the scenes’ community engagement weekend

Members of the public are encouraged to attend the heritage railways event which will take place on the 11th and 12th of February 2023.​

image.png

LSWR T9 on the Swanage Railway

Swanage Railway is hosting a community engagement weekend and members of the public are invited to come along and enjoy the event on Saturday the 11th and Sunday the 12th of February.

The event aims to encourage more people to volunteer in order to help run and maintain the well-loved heritage railway.

Dedicated volunteers have been behind the rebuilding of Swanage Railway since 1976 after British Rail’s controversial closure of the branch line from Wareham to Swanage in 1972 which saw the lifting of seven miles of track after just seven weeks from Swanage to Harman’s Cross, Corfe Castle, Norden and on to east of Furzebrook.

The volunteers of Swanage Railway are essential in keeping the popular attraction running.

The railway brings over £15 million each year into the local economy whilst keeping 6,000 cars a year off of the A351 between Corfe Castle and Swanage.

The event will start at 10am and runs through til 4pm on both days and provide a brilliant opportunity for members of the public to get a behind-the-scenes look into the working of the heritage railway at both Swanage and Corfe Castle stations.

A special heritage diesel train service will also be operating providing passengers the chance to enjoy views of the Purbeck countryside not often seen from a train as it travels the four-mile line between Norden and the River Frome which is in sight of Wareham.

image.png

Corfe Castle signal box museum

At Swanage station activities for the public to take part in will include:
  • Get onboard the footplate of a steam locomotive
  • Drive a 1950s heritage Class 08 shunting diesel locomotive for £5 (this activity is subject to a health and safety declaration
  • See where heritage carriages are restored and overhauled.
At Corfe Castle station activities for the public to take part in will include:
  • See the award-winning signal box which is a replica of the original Victorian signal box
  • Have a go at signalling trains in the signal box museum at Corfe Castle
The event will also see five steam trains operating during the day between Norden, Corfe Castle, Harman’s Cross, Herston and Swanage and is planned to be hauled by 1940s Southern Railway Battle of Britain Class Bulleid Pacific express steam locomotive No. 34070 ‘Manston’.

Robert Patterson, the volunteer chair of the Swanage Railway Company – which runs the trains for the Swanage Railway Trust – said:

“This is an exciting event to enable Purbeck residents to enjoy ‘their’ railway at a heavily discounted price as well as being able to go behind the scenes to see what we do – and perhaps becoming a volunteer.

“We would not be able to run the Swanage Railway without our fantastic team of more than 400 volunteers who are responsible for everything from running trains, keeping our stations looking great to selling tickets and refreshments and much more,”
added Robert who is a volunteer station porter.

Gavin Johns, Swanage Railway Trust volunteer chair said:

“Volunteering is a great way to contribute to the community and become involved in something rewarding, enjoyable, social and worthwhile. Swanage Railway volunteers don’t need to be train enthusiasts to enjoy themselves and we have a wide range of positions available.

“Our aim is to ensure that our volunteers have an enjoyable and rewarding experience while making an important contribution to Purbeck life – both for residents and visitors alike,” added Gavin who is a volunteer signalman on the Swanage Railway.

30th January 2023

Wales v Ireland travel advice

image.png

Coaches for capacity Wales V Ireland Cym

Transport for Wales is offering rugby supporters rail and bus services for Wales’ opening game of the Six Nations against Ireland on Saturday (4 February).

Following a successful introduction for last year’s Autumn international series, a number of return coaches will be operating to compliment a full rail timetable.

They’ll be running from Llanelli, Abergavenny, Cwmbran, Caerphilly and Pontypridd with prices starting at just £6 return.

To book TfW return coaches visit Coach | Wales v Ireland | Transport for Wales (tfw.wales)

More than 25,000 rugby fans are also expected to travel in and out of Cardiff by rail on Saturday, and customers are being urged to plan their journeys in advance and check before they travel.

Adam Terry, Head of Planning at Transport for Wales said:

“We look forward to welcoming tens of thousands of rugby supporters onto our services for the first of Wales’ two home fixtures in this year’s Six Nations.

“We will have every available train in use and will be strengthening services to and from Cardiff to provide as much capacity as possible.

“Peak time rail services before and after the match are likely to be very busy, so passengers are advised to make use of earlier and later trains, or book one of the TfW coaches to ensure you have a guaranteed seat to get to the game and home afterwards.

“A queuing system will be in place at Cardiff Central after the game and we’ll be working alongside the other train operators to get passengers home as quickly and as safely as possible.”

Passengers are encouraged to familiarise themselves with the queuing system before travelling to the game.

TfW coaches will drop off and depart from Tresillian Way in Cardiff city centre, a short walk from the Principality Stadium.

Return coach tickets must be booked in advance and existing rail tickets are not valid for coach travel.

Capacity is limited and tickets will be issued on first come, first served basis.

Rugby supporters travelling to the Welsh capital on Friday 3 February, the day before the Wales v Ireland match, should be aware of industrial action taking by train drivers at 15 other train operating companies.

TfW staff are not involved in the strikes, but its services are likely to be busier than normal because there will be no Great Western Railway, West Midlands Railways, Avanti, or CrossCountry services operating on the Friday.

Great Western Railway services will be operating as normal on Saturday 4 February and they will once again be utilising their electric trains to provide extra capacity on the South Wales mainline.

For more information about the industrial action on Wednesday 1 and Friday 3 of February should visit Train strikes | Rail strike dates and industrial action | TfW

image.png

31st January 2023

Storytime with Marcus

When I was a child I used to read these amazing stories, by the the good Rev. Audrey and the colourful illustrations by C. Reginald Dalby, which fuelled my imagination about trains.

My son is grown up now, so he doesn't appreciate my stories anymore. :lol:

But I still like to look back at them with fond memories.

Written by Awdry in 1943 to entertain his son, Christopher, who was suffering from measles at the time, this was the first book in what was to become The Railway Series.

The book tells the stories of kind Edward, pompous Gordon and foolish Henry.

So now I hereby present to you 'The Sad Story of Henry' the third story from the first book in The Railway Series.

I hope you enjoy it. :)

image.png

A third locomotive, Henry, deciding to stop in the middle of a tunnel to avoid the rain, much to the dislike of his passengers and the Fat Director.

They try pulling him out and pushing him out, but in the end, have to give up and leave him where he is to teach him a lesson.

He soon realises the error of his ways, and fears it’s too late to rectify them.

image.png

The engine's name was Henry.

His driver and fireman argued with him, but he would not move.

"The rain will spoil my lovely green paint in red stripes" he said.

The guard blew his whistle til had no more breath, and waved his flag til his arms ached; but Henry still stayed in the tunnel and blew steam at him.

"I'm not going to spoil my lovely green paint and red stripes for you," he said rudely.

image.png

The passengers came and argued too, but Henry would not move.

A fat director who was on the train told the guard to get a rope. "We will pull you out," he said.

But Henry only blew steam at him and made him wet.

They hooked the rope on and all pulled - except the fat director. "My doctor has forbidden me to pull," he said.

They pulled and pulled and pulled, but still Henry stayed in the tunnel.

image.png

Then they tried pushing from the other end.
The fat director said, "one, two, three, push": but he did not help. My doctor has forbidden me to pull," he said.

They pushed and pushed and pushed; but still Henry stayed in the tunnel.

At last another train came.

The guard waved his red flag and stopped it.

image.png

The two engine drivers, the two firemen and the two guards went and argued with Henry. "Look it's stopped raining," they said.

"Yes but it will begin again soon," said Henry. "And what would become of my green paint with red stripes then?"

So they brought the other engine up, and it pushed and puffed, puffed and pushed as hard as it could.

But still Henry stayed in the tunnel.

image.png

So they gave it up.

They told Henry, "We shall leave you there for always and always and always."

They took up the old rails, built a wall in front of him, and cut a new tunnel.

Now Henry can't get out, and he watches the trains rushing through the new tunnel.

He is very sad because no one will ever see his lovely green paint with red stripes again.

I think he deserved it, don't you?

31st January 2023

image.png

London Mayor confirms Olympics ambition​

Olympics ++

The Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has confirmed that he wants London to host the 2040 Olympic Games, which would trigger more transport improvements.

He told MyLondon:

‘We're working with colleagues to get a bid explored. 2032 and 2036 are a done deal. The attraction of a deal for 2040 for London is it would be the greenest Olympics ever – watch this space.’

It is the second time that the Mayor has revealed his ambition.

He told ITV last year during a trip to the USA that the cost ‘wouldn’t be humongous’ because the capital was equipped to host the Olympics in 2012, when the Docklands Light Railway was extended.

Strikes ++

Southeastern is the latest operator to warn that strikes by drivers tomorrow and Friday will mean that no trains will run on its network.

Southeastern’s operations and safety director Scott Brightwell said:

’If this strike action goes ahead, we’re sorry, but there’ll be no Southeastern train services at all.’

Other operators who do not expect to provide any service during the strikes are Avanti West Coast, Chiltern Railways, CrossCountry, East Midlands Railway, Govia Thameslink Railway, Heathrow Express, Island Line, West Midlands Trains, Northern and TransPennine Express.

Mainland South Western Railway services are expected to keep running because SWR said its drivers are not taking part in the walkouts.

However, SWR services through the Hook area will continue to be reduced because two of the four lines are still closed while Network Rail continues to repair a major landslip.

Viaduct ++

The last of 292 concrete piles that will form the foundations for the longest railway bridge in Britain have been installed at the site of HS2’s Colne Valley Viaduct.

Once complete, the 3.4km bridge will carry HS2 over a series of lakes and waterways near Hillingdon on the north-western outskirts of London.

Deck assembly began last year, and HS2 said more than 500 metres of the structure is now complete.

When finished, the viaduct will take the title of ‘longest railway bridge’ from the Tay Bridge on the east coast of Scotland, which is 3.26km long.

31st January 2023

Great Western Railway to run over 60 trains for Wales’ opening Six Nations match​

image.png

Outside Cardiff Central

Next Saturday, 4th February, Great Western Railway trains will run over 60 trains providing nearly 30,000 seats to help rugby fans attending Cardiff for Wales’ opening Six Nations match against Ireland.

Although industrial action will affect services on Friday, the company expects that Saturday services will be unaffected. Before the match, which kicks off at 14.15, 17 extra trains will be laid on, and another 23 will depart from Cardiff afterwards.

Transport for Wales services will not be affected by this week’s industrial action

image.png

Cardiff Central station

A shuttle service of electric trains will operate with the first one between Cardiff Central and Newport departing at 1711, to London Paddington at 1740, and to Swindon at 1840.

As usual for Six Nations matches, a queuing system will be in place outside Cardiff Central station, with supporters travelling east towards Newport queuing on the square in front of the station instead of Riverside Car Park.

Further information about Saturday’s arrangements can be obtained online at gwr.com

GWR Customer Service & Operations Director, Richard Rowland, said:

“Although industrial action will significantly impact services across the GWR network on Wednesday and Friday, we expect to be able to operate a normal timetable on Thursday and Saturday.

“That’s obviously good news for rugby fans travelling to Cardiff and we hope they enjoy the start of this year’s Six Nations.

“We’re pleased to have been able to put on some additional services, but we’d like to remind supporters that trains will be extremely busy leading up to kick-off and immediately following the match.

“We would encourage customers to check journey times and allow sufficient time to queue to board trains safely.”

TfW Head of Planning, Adam Terry, said:

“We look forward to welcoming tens of thousands of rugby supporters onto our services for the first of Wales’ two home fixtures in this year’s Six Nations.

“We will have every available train in use and will be strengthening services to and from Cardiff to provide as much capacity as possible.

“Peak time rail services before and after the match are likely to be very busy, so passengers are advised to make use of earlier and later trains, or book one of the TfW coaches to ensure you have a guaranteed seat to get to the game and home afterwards.

“A queuing system will be in place at Cardiff Central after the game and we’ll be working alongside the other train operators to get passengers home as quickly and as safely as possible.”

31st January 2023

Steam locomotive 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe to return to steam ‘within next two weeks’​

image.png

Vintage Trains has confirmed that GWR Castle No. 5043 ‘Earl of Mount Edgcumbe’ is to return to steam within the next two weeks.

The news comes after the loco’s 10 year overhaul was completed at Tyseley Locomotive Works. The locomotive was due to return in 2021, however, when 7029’s superheater header failed, 5043’s header was used to keep 7029 in service.

With no spare four row superheater in existence, a new drawing, pattern and casting had to be made – a costly and time consuming process.

Trials within the depot will now take place before the loco has a light engine test run to Stratford-upon-Avon and return. Following this, a loaded test run will also run.

The Castle is set to haul its first mainline train on the 4th March, when it will double head with 7029 Clun Castle on a CBS Shareholders Special to Didcot to join up with 4079 and 5051 at Didcot for a lineup.

After this, 5043 will then join the Vintage Trains pool of locomotives, with the locomotive set to haul The Shakespeare Express, including a morning run on Sunday 15th June.

The Castle 100 Open Weekend at Tyseley is expected to feature 5043, and takes place on Saturday 17th and Sunday 18th June.

Ex-GWR Castle Class 5043 "Earl of Mount Edgcumbe" stands at Derby Station's platform 1 while hauling the Vintage Trains "Christmas White Rose" between Tyseley and York on December 10, 2016

image.png

Freshly overhauled GWR Collett "Castle" 4-6-0 (with single chimney & 2-row superheater) No.4079 "Pendennis Castle" with Collett 4,000 gallon tender and in 1923 GWR lined green livery at the GWS Didcot Railway Centre, 02 April 2022.

image.png

31st January 2023

Vintage Trains to welcome steam locomotive 4079 Pendennis Castle to June Open Weekend​

image.png

4079 'Pendennis Castle' at Didcot Railway Centre

Didcot Railway Centre’s GWR Castle No. 4079 Pendennis Castle is to visit Tyseley Locomotive Works this June for Vintage Train’s Castle 100 Open Weekend.

Celebrating the centenary of the GWR Castle design, the open weekend (taking place on the 17th and 18th June 2023) will see 4079 Pendennis Castle, 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe, 5080 Defiant and 7029 Clun Castle be on display at the weekend.

4079 and 7029 were last in steam together at Tyseley back in March 1967, and Pendennis Castle was last at Tyseley back in 1977, immediately before her export to Australia.

On Saturday, all four Castles will line up around the turntable, with turntable demonstrations and a 3 Castle Cavalcade.

Also at the open weekend will be a miniature railway, a depot shuttle on Sunday hauled by 7029 Clun Castle, and the workshop gallery will be open.

Additionally, on Sunday, both 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe and 7029 Clun Castle will be hauling The Shakespeare Express, giving the opportunity to ride behind both Castles in one day.

The locomotives will change at Snow Hill and will be the only time in 2023 that the two Castles will work The Shakespeare Express together in one day.

31st January 2023

Exciting future for Great Central Railway (Nottingham) after AGM vote​

image.png

LMS 8F 8274

The days when heritage trains will run over the nine miles of preserved railway between Loughborough and Ruddington and secure its future has moved a step closer when a change to the Articles of Association of the Great Central Railway (Nottingham) Ltd was unanimously approved by shareholders at their Annual General Meeting on 21st January.

The approval opens a new relationship between the East Midlands Railway Trust and Great Central Railway (Nottingham) by removing a clause in the articles that prevented any one party from owning more than 10% of the shares issued in Great Central Railway (Nottingham).

The LNER (GC) Heritage Trust, the volunteers’ membership organisation that aims to take a more active role will support the two boards.

East Midlands Railway Trust, the charity that owns the railway’s freehold, can now convert its longstanding loan to Great Central Railway (Nottingham) Ltd into share capital to acquire a majority interest in the company.

The change will inject working capital into Great Central Railway (Nottingham) and remove uncertainty caused by the loan. Individuals are also purchasing new shares in the company.

The change comes after a million-pound project to replace a major bridge on the line, which renewed the incentive to connect with and restart trains along the eight-mile-long Great Central Railway from Loughborough to Leicester.

image.png

New bridge on the Great Central Railway at Loughborough

The boards of East Midlands Railway Trust and Great Central Railway (Nottingham) are united in this aim, but their initial focus will be in running trains along the 2½ line between their base at the Nottingham Transport Heritage Centre and Rushcliffe Halt station.

Dr David Rae, Chairman of East Midlands Railway Trust, commented:

“The Boards of both companies have been working towards this agreement for the past year and we are very relieved to have the support needed from shareholders to conclude it. It means that GCRN Ltd can now work with the backing of EMRT to reopen the railway whilst the Trust safeguards the railway line, track, and infrastructure.”

George Green, director of GCR(N) who chaired the AGM said,

“By working together we can get trains running and secure a long-term future for the line, which requires significant investment. I’d like to thank all the shareholders of GCR(N) for supporting the board’s proposals and setting us off in a new direction.”

Andy Fillingham, new Chairman of the LNER (GC) Trust and GCRN Ltd Director, commented,

“We look forward to working with East Midland Railway Trust and Great Central Railway Nottingham, to drive forward fundraising and recruitment of volunteers both of which are essential for a long term future.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back