Secretly here
-
-
-
TNP Nation
PotatoFarmers
Discord
Freg#0420
As you would have read in the pinned thread, the Residents' Lobby has typically been a place for Residents to post something that they want the Regional Assembly to look at. And it is up to Residents to exercise their rights by making a post about it.

This time round, the Speaker decided to do something different. I am going trial something, by opening up a thread about a proposal, Citizenship Reform Act, that has been on the table for quite a bit of time. In particular, the proposal opens up a new opportunity for residents, who are unable to obtain citizenship due to admin checks, to be able to get citizenship via an "alternative means".

I am going to open this thread to gauge some sort of "interest" among the residents that are lurking in our forums. What do you think about this proposal? Will you be intending to appeal for citizenship via this path? Are there any concerns you have about this?

I also hope that this will remind residents that they can continue to be involved in the RA as a resident, and hopefully be able to spark some conversation about this and future bills that are discussed in the RA. For citizens, they can and should continue to use the main discussion thread in the RA, unless they are responding to a pointer raised in this thread.

Excellent idea. It would be very useful to hear what the people this amendment is meant to help think about it.

There's a reason I've been so reticent to speak on this save privately to a few people. Namely, I'd feel very comfortable wagering that most people identify me strongly with the bill for what, I should hope, are obvious reasons. Anyways, I want to elaborate for a bit on why, although I remain critical of some parts of this legislation, that I'd still vote For it if I were a member of the Regional Assembly.

I'll admit that I've taken issue with this bill at times. I was reticent to say much for the above reason, coupled with not particularly feeling as though having a strong stance on this either way would necessarily move the needle. Anyways, I didn't particularly love the original change to the "Express" WA option. I expressed concern that it would be vulnerable in Court if ever challenged, potentially leaving the very people who would've benefitted from it in a real quandary. I still believe that. I also was dismayed with the five recommendations option that some favored. Even in my long time in the region, particularly working with as many people and interacting with many more, it's still hard for me to envision that five people are familiar enough with my real body of work to make the conscious decision to recommend me for citizenship. (I, for one, still privately favor the three recommendation option from the original bill. However, I also recognize that this decision isn't mine to make and will of course be grateful for whatever passes.)

Now, I understand some of you will wave your hands at the suggestion I'd be worried about getting recommendations. After all, I wouldn't have become Minister of World Assembly Affairs without the Regional Assembly's support. That being said, getting the support to do a job, rather than bypassing a whole process is very different. There are different considerations at play. I understand the impulse to keep citizenship from malign actors. Having been in this region for a good while now, while I've never seen a truly malign actor be disgraced, I've definitely been around communities that, in my time there, dealt with prominent folks being forced out of the community because of concerns about the safety and wellbeing of that community with their continued presence. It's not a fun situation to be in...for anyone. And, of course, a malign actor who's slipped through the cracks and isn't already banned from our community (or evades admin detection) could still end up being admitted to the citizenship roll from this bill. That being said though, I think it's worth considering the impact this bill might have that's positive.

We might just continue to get folks who continue to engage with the community in new and unique ways, we might also find dedicated newly dedicated people to the region across fields. We will inevitably find a lot of people, probably the vast majority of whom, who engage with the region for awhile, burn bright, and then leave. We might just find the next Hulldom. Hell, we might just find the next great Justice or Delegate because of this legislation. Of course, the odds of that are exceedingly slim, but are they, on the balance, significantly higher than the risks outlined in the third paragraph? I'd have to think so. After all, it's a big NS world out there and new people join the game every single day.

One of the things that drew me to the North when I came around here for the first time in 2020 was not exactly the opportunities I could take advantage of.1 (In fact, it wasn't until I wrote my first WA draft that I came into contact with the Ministry so synonymous with me.) What drew me to the North Pacific was the sense of community, and that there were a bunch of really cool people who I could engage with in government and also have fun with. As I got older, as I continued my journey and eventually became a Deputy Minister, I made many friends here. Certainly folks like Cretox and Kasto, but also Westinor and East and Chimp and Ghost.

Each and every single one of those folks has been absolutely instrumental in getting me where I am today. I've shared a lot of fun, a lot of frustration, and of course a lot of memories I cherish as a result of this region (such as sitting in a VC with East and Kasto the night Jalen Suggs drilled a three from half court in OT in the Gonzaga-UCLA Final Four game or the legendary VCs until 3:00 AM). These memories were not necessarily a prerequisite of me staying a part of the community, but they have made this place home more than any other region I've known in this game--and I've known a lot of regions.

But that being said...I will admit that I considered for a half second leaving the North the day of my second citizenship rejection (this was before I became a MoWAA staffer as I recall). It was a fleeting thought, but one that did cross my mind. I wondered what it was I could really do without citizenship. As it turns out, it was a whole awful lot.

However, let's consider too that I've achieved whatever measure of success people think I have in spite of the current citizenship laws. The RA legislated a way for me to hold the position of Minister of World Assembly Affairs, and it's a path Robes and MJ have taken advantage of multiple times now. I want that to change.

For purely selfish reasons, absolutely. As a known commodity in the community at this point, I would like to feel more fully a part of it than I have been and to be able to engage with, say, the RA or the FA Ministry. Both are places where I have real, tangible interest but can't really move the needle right now.

I'd also like to change it for a more altruistic reason. There's no reason that the folks who come after me--the next set of Boston Castles or even the next one--should not have a viable path to citizenship without a home IP. At least for me, this is a circumstances thing. It's something I've reiterated time and again when asked and it still remains true. That being said, the next set of Boston Castles should absolutely be able to get citizenship even if their circumstances don't permit a home IP.

In long closing, I hope you all choose to vote For this. As a member of the Government, it would, of course, be awesome to see part of my boss' agenda fulfilled. It would also be incredible as someone who could take advantage of this bill and join the ranks of citizenship. It would be even better as someone who sees themselves as a steward of what is yet to come. While it may be a bit hyperbolic, this is, in some ways, a vote to move into a bold new future--one I adamantly believe we should take advantage of.

Do I believe this is a perfect solution? No. But on the other hand, we really ought not let "perfect" get in the way of the "very good".

1 I was thinking about it and the primary reason I actually joined our Discord server in the first place was actually due to my role at the time as the Election Commissioner in Thaecia. I was interviewing candidates for my staff and one had mentioned that he had served as an EC and recommended I talk to McMasterdonia. I did so, but unfortunately, I didn’t up choosing the candidate for the position. (Largely because I never received any notice they had done what they said.)

Edit: For someone who had never been in a GCR beyond their founding before, you can imagine how terrified I was.

Last edited:
Back