I Want To [SELF]

I want to be a champion skater and a writer…. All of my pictures in the magazines…. Maybe I’ll be a movie star. I don’t want to be like the other girls. I want to be a modern woman. I want to travel. I want to wear only the finest clothes I can find. I want to study history. And languages… I want to do everything. I want to…

“Anne!” I hear a shout. It’s my parents. I just roam where I am at because I don’t want to move.

“Anne!” It’s the same collective group of voices. I sigh and move down. I don’t necessarily want to go, but I do know that when my parents call, I must answer. It’s a sign of respect. And in the country of Shenghua, respect is heavily valued.

“Anne, you need to get your things together and get ready for school,” my mother says. I shrug. I didn’t really have a choice in the matter, did I? I move quickly to pack my bags, and I get on my bike and leave for my friend’s house. I wave goodbye to my parents and sister before I shut the door behind me.

As an ethnic minority in Shenghua, I feel out of place sometimes. And it doesn’t help when people give me stares. I just feel eyes on me at all times. Whether I am biking to school, walking down the street, or just driving with my parents. I can’t help but feel out of place. And the segregation in my city, Dianshang, doesn’t help. Now, “foreigners” (all ethnic minorities) have to shop at different hours than natural Shenghuese citizens, we must fill our surveys every week on our house to show that our parents were immigrants, we cannot drive on certain days, and we cannot own businesses. It’s not fair. We must be separated from “natural” Shenghuese citizens. In schools, shops, theatres, and other public places. We have to be separate.

It’s not fair. I catch a group of men staring at me. I keep my head down. I don’t have any other options. I stop at my friend’s house and she picks up her bike and we bike down to the “International School”, which in truth, is made up solely of ethnic minority Shenghuese citizens. I sigh, and take a step in. I wish I was still at my old school… When I was actually able to be around other kids not dependent on where our families were from like a normal kid.

Back