-
Pronouns
They/Them
TNP Nation
Guslantis
Discord
bootsie
Hello all,

It has definitely been a while since I've been the first to post a candidacy thread, especially since I announced my candidacy so late in the declaration period. For those who don't know me, my name is bootsie, though as long as you get anywhere close to the spelling of my name, I will usually respond to you. I've been in TNP on and off for eight years as of this month, and have served in numerous roles in the Executive Branch (namely Chief of Staff and Minister of Communications), the Judicial Branch (serving alongside Eluvatar and SillyString and moderating TNP v. Madjack), and of course I had the absolute honor of serving as a two-term Vice Delegate and Security Councillor.

Despite my literal novel of accomplishments over the years, one of the first things that I did in The North Pacific was become a Deputy Speaker. While I didn't know it then, the people who I got to work with in the Speaker's Office (such as Zyvetskistaahn) would go on to be some of the best Speakers that we have seen in The North Pacific.

We can have that type of Speaker again, but we need to get back to the basics. We need to fire on all cylinders and make sure checks are getting completed as soon as possible. This job can be easy, but when it backlogs, it backlogs real quick.

For example, if we go to the publicly listed CItizen/Registry Sheet (AKA The Rolls), we can see that they have a list of the citizenship applications and which checks have been completed for each. Why then, am I still listed on that sheet as if none of my checks have been completed when it has been a whole month since I applied to be a citizen and I clearly have gotten masked as such?

Another strange flag is that the activity on the forum on the Citizens page is listed (at time of writing) as everyone being active as of 10/16, almost a week ago. Barring any type of delay in the script, that would mean that someone hasn't refreshed the rolls in that long. Considering we're in an election cycle, with another rapidly approaching, there is no excuse why that is not being prioritized as that could make a difference between who can vote or not.

The last thing that is concerning was brought up by abc in the Discord chat, so thank you for bringing that to my attention. There is another critical vote that closed on the 18th and has still not been counted or even officially marked as closed. Again, this one does concern the Judicial Elections (we have one of those coming up) so it is quite a priority to get that counted and fixed before the start of that election.

--

I'm not going to make flashy election promises. Like Madjack said on Discord, this job can be really easy and there's no need to complicate it with more bureaucracy. I'm going to commit myself to daily citizen application checks (probably around evening EDT), transparency through an updated pending application sheet, biweekly (twice a week) checks on citizenship/residency status minimum, and having votes counted within the following 24-48 hours. Meanwhile I will communicate with the citizenry and keep them informed shall I not be able to perform a certain task by my set deadline. If elected, I will attempt to keep all current Deputy Speakers shall they be interested in continuing under my leadership.

Thanks and vote boots!

Bootsie you didn’t finish your last term as Speaker, and had to resign roughly halfway into it. You haven’t been actively engaged in TNP in a long time, should we assume from this run that you’re able to commit the time needed to keep track of what’s going on and manage the team of deputies in the event you can’t be around? Especially given these days with sporadic activity affecting the office (as you yourself outlined in this platform), this is something we have to be able to rely on.

Bootsie you didn’t finish your last term as Speaker, and had to resign roughly halfway into it. You haven’t been actively engaged in TNP in a long time, should we assume from this run that you’re able to commit the time needed to keep track of what’s going on and manage the team of deputies in the event you can’t be around? Especially given these days with sporadic activity affecting the office (as you yourself outlined in this platform), this is something we have to be able to rely on.

My last term of Speaker was in 2017. Real life got in the way, and instead of being upfront and honest about what was going on and that I was biting off more than I could chew, I let my Deputy Speaker and friend get drowned by the overwhelming amount of shit that needed to get done in the office. It's not a proud moment, and it was a motivating factor for me running (and losing) the Speaker election against Wonderess in 2018.

I have served numerous roles since that one and it is something I have definitely learned from.

In regards to my current activity, I check in with TNP's forum and Discord daily, and respond when I have something to contribute to the conversation. I currently work a full time managerial job, so it is tight to talk when I'm at work, but I am more active in the evenings and on my days off (currently Wednesdays and Sundays).

Last edited:
The school year is surely wrecking TNP with all these resignations.... However, with his schedule rightly outlined in his previous post, I'm surely confident this shouldn't be a problem, provided he's elected.

I think at this stage, given it's the third election for the same post in a month and a bit already, the important thing for a speaker is to "stick around" as it appears to me to be a thankless gig. If you are OK to stick around I think at this point I am pretty much OK with anybody.

When I decided to announce my run for the Speakership, I knew that the one thing I wanted to focus on was a unified team that had the activity and drive to carry us through to the next Speaker election and beyond. This election has proven that above all, these are values that are crucial to ensuring success in the office now and in the future. To all of my supporters, particularly Yuno and Great Bights Mum, I thank you all for your support and encouragement to continue to reach for the stars and go after what I believe is right for The North Pacific.

While I am sad to have seen Bobberino and Dyl drop out of the race, I could not have asked for a better opponent in Fregerson. While the vote was initially too close to call, with each passing day their lead has increased, to the point that I can confidently say that I cannot overcome.

It is with this that I become the first to congratulate Fregerson on their win and welcome them as the next Speaker of the Regional Assembly. I hope to be given the opportunity to serve alongside you in the upcoming term, but if not, I will definitely be rooting for your success and consistency to return to the Speakership!

Yours truly,

Boots

Back