Oracle

The Disappointed Father
-
TNP Nation
Oracle
Discord
Hyperion#1325
Delegate St George:
I am appointing Vivanco and Gorundu as Election Commissions, subject to a confirmation vote by the Regional Assembly.
The Delegate has appointed @Vivanco and @Gorundu to the Election Commission. I open the floor to discussion and debate on these appointments.

Additionally, I welcome a statement from @St George in support of these appointments.

Once moved, the motions that I will be putting to vote for these confirmations are as follows:

Motion:
The Regional Assembly confirms the appointment of Vivanco to the Election Commission.
Motion:
The Regional Assembly confirms the appointment of Gorundu to the Election Commission.

1) Why has the two candidates volunteered to be part of the Election Comission?
2) In the recent Speaker election, the sole candidate withdrew from the race midway through the vote. Should the option to reopen nomination not gain a majority, what would you have done?
3) Say a candidate, who is a current Justice, has decided to run for both the delegate and the vice-delegate elections. Since current laws doesn't allow concurrent holding of both positions, they indicated that they will be picking the delegate position over that of a vice-delegate. In an open race against 3 other candidates in both races each, he managed to win both votes. How would you, as an Election Comissioner, react, given the unusual circumstances?

First, for a sense of public duty for the Region.
Second, for a sense of self-fulfillment.

I've been in this region for a fair number of years now, and I've been in multiple spots, both by election and by appointment, and mostly around the law sector of the region, and I must say I like counting things and making sure things are done well and in a organised matter.

2) In the recent Speaker election, the sole candidate withdrew from the race midway through the vote. Should the option to reopen nomination not gain a majority, what would you have done?
Section 4.4 of our Legal Code regulate an overall of the Election Law of the Region.
Section 4.4.24 states that, should a majority vote to reopen nominations, automatically new candidancy declarations have to be open for further two days.
Once a candidate withdraws, the votes they would have gotten would be considered eliminated.
Due to the fact that no more candidates would remain in the run, it would be necesary, by the powers explained in Section 4.3.19, and under majority vote of the full Election Commission, to restart the election.

3) Say a candidate, who is a current Justice, has decided to run for both the delegate and the vice-delegate elections. Since current laws doesn't allow concurrent holding of both positions, they indicated that they will be picking the delegate position over that of a vice-delegate. In an open race against 3 other candidates in both races each, he managed to win both votes. How would you, as an Election Comissioner, react, given the unusual circumstances?
Section 4.2.9 defines the moment a vacancy would occur when, among other things, "an election winner or appointee fails to post the Oath of Office". This candidate, who has already indicated they will be picking the delegate position, will put the Vice-Delegate position in the position of a Vacancy.

In such event, a Special Election shall be held, as stablished by section 4.7.38 of the Legal Code "unless the election would be unable to conclude prior to two weeks before the beginning of the next scheduled election cycle for that office."

As Election Comissioner I would act accordingly to the law. While the law forbids the hold of both positions, it doesn't prohibit running for both offices, and in that situation happens, we have the legislation to our side to aid us, which is to stablish the position of Vice-Delegate vacant and follow up with the consequences of this action, with the stablishment of the Special Elections.

What are yall credentials?
Well, I have experience with the legislation of the Region, for I have served for Justice, Appointed Prosecution and Attorney General for TNP, alongside having a Law Degree.

Among other things, I have proven I know how to manage myself with spreadsheets in the past when a few years ago I helped with the archive of some past elections' counting, and that I have ran a few polls of my own on my (soon to be resurrected) platform of VPS.

Additionally, I welcome a statement from @St George in support of these appointments.
Yes hello that's me.

As I said in my recent interview with the NBS, I chose Vivanco because they are someone with an incredible eye for detail, and are a very spreadsheet-orientated person. They like numbers and are the kind of person I'd like to see running an election. Similar applies to Gorundu, who is a highly competent candidate who can be relied upon to be around and contribute during an election. They'd both do good work on the Election Commission.

1) To confuse people by posting as The Voting Booth I mean...uh...because I don't have much in the way of formal responsibilities this term so I thought this would be a nice time to try something new. Plus I've been a bit fixated on elections recently but you'll see what I mean by that later.

2) Should the option to reopen nominations not gain a majority, then the election will conclude without a Speaker being elected. Thus, the position of Speaker will be vacant and a Special Election should be run with a 3 day candidacy declaration period, and a 5 day voting period beginning 2 days after candidacy declaration concludes.

3) The Election Commissioners should certify the results, and then it would be up to that person. Firstly, I don't believe their statement that they will be picking the delegate position over that of vice delegate is legally binding in any way. The Election Commission's actions should instead depend on the person's actions after the election. I think the best course of action for them would be to resign as Justice, take the oath as Vice Delegate, resign as Vice Delegate, then take the oath for Delegate. That way it would make clear that the Justice and Vice Delegate positions are vacant and would require Special Elections. If the person instead simply resigns as Justice and takes the oath as Delegate, then I would be inclined to ask the Election Commission to wait the one week period under Section 4.1.9 of the Legal Code, during which an elected official must take the oath of office. This is because it is legally possible (although unlikely in reality) for the person to resign as Delegate within one week and assume the position of Vice Delegate instead.
What are yall credentials?
I was Speaker and didn't blow up the Regional Assembly so I'd say that's a win.

Vivanco, I think your law experience may have actually hurt you here. You seemed to have looked too deep into the law and overcomplicated things to the point where the answers weren't actually correct. Gorundu's got it right.

Vivanco, I think your law experience may have actually hurt you here. You seemed to have looked too deep into the law and overcomplicated things to the point where the answers weren't actually correct. Gorundu's got it right.
I have just seen it and it's right. I even missed the Judge part within the third question, having to convoque a special election for that as well, for their position as Judge will be set vacant.

However, as it can be seen here, I am someone who can own up to the mistakes and gladly works in teams, such as the Election Commission.

I was tricked into thinking the nominations were Vivanco and Pallaith. I could’ve sworn the Discord ping said Pallaith, but here Gorundu is.

Anyhow, I have nothing of value to add to this.

Back