[Passed] Confirmation of Dreadton and Arc as Election Commissioners

East Isles

Registered
TNP Nation
East Isles
Discord
East Isles#4583
Delegate Robespierre:
I hereby appoint @Dreadton and @Arc as Election Commissioners.
The Delegate has appointed @Dreadton and @Arc to the Election Commission. I open the floor to discussion and debate on these appointments.

Additionally, I welcome a statement from @Robespierre in support of these appointments.

Once moved, the motions that I will be putting to vote for these confirmations are as follows:

Motion:
The Regional Assembly confirms the appointment of Dreadton to the Election Commission.

Motion:
The Regional Assembly confirms the appointment of Arc to the Election Commission.

What makes a good Election Commissioner?

From the year I was on the Election Commission, I found having multiple detail oriented people invoved is what makes the commission work as a whole. So a good Election Commissioner is not necessarly the most experienced, but the one willing to reasonably discuss issues and take feed back when something is possibly wrong in the process.

Why would you want to be an Election Commissioner?

I apologise if that sounded stupid :p

Also, what motivates you to be one?

Last edited:
Let's say that you were to use your position as election commissioner to coup the region. How would you go about doing so?

I was asked if I would be interested in filling the role. Having past experience with it, its a role I fill well.

Are both of you familiar with the constitution, legal code, and EC rules?
I have some familiarity with TNP laws.

Let's say that you were to use your position as election commissioner to coup the region. How would you go about doing so?
You cant coup via the EC. Everything the EC does is public and has mutiple checks in it. If you wanted to coup via you would need to completely rewrite the election laws to require private voting via DM, with no option for those votes to be reviewed by the EC or Region.

Can we send this old joke to the retirement home already? Especially when it’s applied to such odd places.

Do you have plans to run in any elections during your term?

What makes a good Election Commissioner?
I believe that what makes a "good Election Commissioner" is someone who is good at working with others and is able to approach the tasks set before them with unyielding determination to accomplish said tasks. Someone who puts in the work, gets the job done, and is a good teamworker.

I apologise if that sounded stupid :p

I suppose I can answer both questions with one answer: because I want to ensure that TNP democracy runs as smoothly as possible.
Are both of you familiar with the constitution, legal code, and EC rules?
I've looked over Section 4 of the Legal Code - the section addressing how elections are to be run. That whole section is what I was recommended to review, though please do bring to my attention anything else I must familiarize myself with!
I highly doubt an EC would have the power to do anything even remotely related to a coup.
Do you have plans to run in any elections during your term?
I've considered running for a position come September. Delegate? Vice Delegate? Perhaps take another shot at Speaker of the Regional Assembly? I've yet to make up my mind.

@Arc, this one's for you:

You are supervising the General Election and are about to begin the voting phase. There are two candidates for Delegate, four candidates for Vice Delegate, and two candidates for Speaker. When the voting thread is opened, all three races on the ballot template follow the "Pick One" format. What error has occurred, and what corrective action should be taken?

@Dreadton and @Arc, this one's for both of you:

Do you agree with the current rules that state that if someone does not answer the question on reopening nominations then their vote in that race is discarded? If you agree with the current rule, why? If you do not agree with it, what alternative solution do you recommend for if someone forgets to answer?

@Arc, this one's for you:

You are supervising the General Election and are about to begin the voting phase. There are two candidates for Delegate, four candidates for Vice Delegate, and two candidates for Speaker. When the voting thread is opened, all three races on the ballot template follow the "Pick One" format. What error has occurred, and what corrective action should be taken?

Do you agree with the current rules that state that if someone does not answer the question on reopening nominations then their vote in that race is discarded? If you agree with the current rule, why? If you do not agree with it, what alternative solution do you recommend for if someone forgets to answer?
1) To answer your question specifically for me, I believe the error lies in the fact that the Vice Delegate election follows the "Pick One" voting format. According to Section 4.5, Article 31 of the TNP Legal Code, if there are more than two candidates running for a position, voters may rank the candidates per individual voters' preference. The solution is simple: make a public announcement stating that the "Pick One" format does not apply to the Vice Delegate election and that voters may list off their order of preferences.

2) Now, to answer the second question directed at both Dreadton and myself, I do agree with that rule. I believe that if a candidate does not answer any of the questions on their campaign thread without an explanation as to why, then it's proof that they're not dedicated to their campaign and their election.

I lean towards keeping and enforcing that rule, mainly to prevent other issues. If, for some reason, RON were to lose by one vote because someone left it off the ballot and the ballot was counted in a tight race; i can see there being issues on the vote certification and acceptance by the region. There are also other options we could possibly do, such as making RON its own ballot, instead of part of a ballot on each race. This would let us keep the ron option without tossing ballots on those who forget to vote.

2) Now, to answer the second question directed at both Dreadton and myself, I do agree with that rule. I believe that if a candidate does not answer any of the questions on their campaign thread without an explanation as to why, then it's proof that they're not dedicated to their campaign and their election.
Don't know why no one has picked up on this but I suggest you re-read the question.

Back