[Scrapped] Remove Constitutional Restrictions on Justices Holding Multiple Offices Act

Comfed

Minister
-
-
-
-
Pronouns
he/him
TNP Nation
Comfed
Discord
comfed
This bill would remove the constitutional restriction on justices holding multiple offices. The reason for this is that the court has very little to do, but its members are barred from holding government official positions in the executive or legislative branches.

Chapter 3 of the Legal Code shall be amended to read as follows:
1. These procedures will govern the Judiciary.
2. Justices shall be exempt from constitutional provisions on holding multiple offices.
1. These procedures will govern the Judiciary.
2. Justices shall be exempt from constitutional provisions on holding multiple offices.

Err, then if the Justices end up becoming a Delegate, a VD and a Minister, then how can the Delegate be trialed for misconduct?

Err, then if the Justices end up becoming a Delegate, a VD and a Minister, then how can the Delegate be trialed for misconduct?
This. It's a pity that Justices don't get to do much, but 1) there are rare occasions where they do, and 2) removing the restrictions would, as Freg alludes to, create opportunities for countless conflicts of interest. If you run for a spot as a Justice, you're aware of the dullness of the job and willing to accept it. All that having been said, I'm against this bill.

This. It's a pity that Justices don't get to do much, but 1) there are rare occasions where they do, and 2) removing the restrictions would, as Freg alludes to, create opportunities for countless conflicts of interest. If you run for a spot as a Justice, you're aware of the dullness of the job and willing to accept it. All that having been said, I'm against this bill.
I think that's a fairly unlikely scenario, but is still a fair point.

You would also need to change the constitution not just the legal code.
The legal code can't contradict the constitution.
I originally based this around the clause that allowed for legal exemptions, but upon further reading, that clause doesn’t apply to elected officials. I don’t want to amend that part of the constitution so I’m dropping this.

Back