Robespierre for Rejuvenation: A Delegacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please pardon the double post, but I've added two entries into the World Assembly Affairs section of my campaign under the spoilers "My Stacks" and "My Stomps" for the latest resolutions at vote in both the GA and the SC. You can view those now, if you're interested :D
5/3/2021, 11:00:23 PM CDT: Francois Isidore voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Commend Ellenburg".
4/1/2021, 11:00:09 PM CDT: Francois Isidore voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Repeal "Digital Network Defense"".

you're running a campaign on being unbased? Smh.

It takes 90 runners 750 minutes to finish a marathon. How long would it take 60 runners to finish the marathon?
At least 312 minutes :P

you're running a campaign on being unbased? Smh.
The forum votes for both of those resolutions established a majority against. The IFV, although recommending a vote of “For" on "Commend Ellenburg," doesn’t necessarily have to match the forum vote. But nonetheless, I vote with the forum vote.

If you look back, the vote is 5-13 on “Repeal: “Digital Defense Network” and was 2-4 at the time that “Commend Ellenburg" went to vote.

How much i will get paid in your delegacy?
An amount befitting of a legendary Loch Ness monster such as yourself! The Chief of the Animal Revolution will be payed handsomely with taxpayer money, of course

Last edited:
Several well known "retired" GPers have said that GP is in need of a revival. Do you agree with their assessment?

Several well known "retired" GPers have said that GP is in need of a revival. Do you agree with their assessment?
If there is to be a “revival” in gameplay it needs to only be a revival in terms of activity, not in terms of landscape.

The problem with wanting a “revival” is that you have to then specify a revival to what period exactly, and since gameplay only moves forwards and never moves backwards, you can hardly expect to successfully harken back to the good ol’ days of [INSERT WHAT X RETIRED GPer WANTS HERE]. So I think that the correct way to think about it is that you want the activity that x or y “era” of gameplay may have exhibited, but you still want gameplay itself to evolve in its landscape and move forward.

When you’re retired, it’s easy to reminisce and I mean no disrespect to any retired GPers when I say this. But as time marches on, you won’t see the same GP landscape twice if you’re moving in the right direction and that’s important to understand

Last edited:
I am concerned you don't seem to have a solid plan for Foreign Affairs. Your entire FA section consists solely of updating the WF (which is something that has been worked on over the past term but could use more attention to it) and there is no elaboration on your plans for FA in subsequent posts so there's not really any information offered in terms of what you're looking to do more substantively (or if I have missed it, please feel free to point it out).

Although much less glamorous than large-scale joint operations or swift fash-bashes, training operations are an invaluable part of teaching new recruits how to participate in the Ministry of Defense's activities. This term, we'll work to strike a balance between fast-paced, high stakes missions for experienced members and slower-paced, low stakes operations for some of our newer members.
I am rather confused here, I think there has only been one high stake mission this past term (the quorum raiding of the fascist resolution) and thus I am extremely bewildered as to how you believe there is not a balance between high stake missions and low stake operations. I notice that you have not participated in a NPA Mission since last year and while you were WA locked, that does not prevent you from participating in an operation (eg. triggering) and as a General, you would certainly know how to do so!

Establishing a Selection Procedure (IRC Representation)

Pertinent to Section 3, clause (a) of the Basic Structure of the Inter-Regional Chat (IRC), our region has the option of specifying its own internal procedure to decide how our representative will be selected.

If elected, I'd like to set a precedent for our IRC representation selection procedure and I'd like to vest that power in the Regional Assembly so as to hold the executive in check.

Currently, our representative is McMasterdonia and I don't foresee this changing. Regardless, it's important that establish an actual procedure for such a time when McM no longer wishes to serve as our representative there. So that will be something that I look to cement via the use of a Delegate Directive.
Why does the RA need to hold the IRC Representative in check and not the WALL Ambassador?

Foreign Affairs: I think that Foreign Affairs lacks someone who can truly take up the mantle at some point in the future should past Ministers not wish to continue in or return to the role. We keep going to the well of Senior Diplomats, former Deputy Ministers, and back again.

I'd really like to see someone step up and show themselves to be able to handle our interregional relations with a measured approach and a reliable presence. Right now, we're still searching for that, as FA can be a difficult area to master.
I am glad you recognize an issue in the FA department but do you have any plan as to how to address rather than waiting for someone to come along and solve it for you?

I am concerned you don't seem to have a solid plan for Foreign Affairs. Your entire FA section consists solely of updating the WF (which is something that has been worked on over the past term but could use more attention to it) and there is no elaboration on your plans for FA in subsequent posts so there's not really any information offered in terms of what you're looking to do more substantively (or if I have missed it, please feel free to point it out).
I refer you to the "Frequently Asked Questions" spoiler in the OP of this thread where I say: "I could definitely see us getting closer to regions such as the UDS, Forest, and Spiritus. Now, what exactly those "closer relationships" would look like is up for speculation, but generally speaking, I wouldn't mind branching out and getting in contact with other regions for the purposes of the Communications Frenzy event (Think TRR, Lazarus, etc.) and the outsourcing of TNL articles that I mentioned earlier."

"Otherwise, we could always get closer to our partners in WALL (Europe, Europeia, etc.) through the initiative that I proposed at the beginning of my campaign's section on WA Affairs. But beyond those regions, I'd have to see about how things line up once I'm in the chair."

FA will work to service our agenda in WA Affairs, Communications, and in Cards. In addition to being responsible for the updating of the WF project and educating new ambassadors through the Diplomatic Training Manual that was written this term.

There's also what I said in this post that talks about my approach to interregional diplomacy.

I am rather confused here, I think there has only been one high stake mission this past term (the quorum raiding of the fascist resolution) and thus I am extremely bewildered as to how you believe there is not a balance between high stake missions and low stake operations. I notice that you have not participated in a NPA Mission since last year and while you were WA locked, that does not prevent you from participating in an operation (eg. triggering) and as a General, you would certainly know how to do so!
I think that you misinterpret what I mean by "low-stakes" operations. See these two posts (here and here) where I talk about that along with other things that Defense will be doing.

When I was Minister of Defense, I led with the intangibles I had to great success. It can be difficult to plan things for Defense since we don't yet know where the chips will fall or what events in gameplay will transpire. A lot of it falls into the category of "spontaneous activity."

Why does the RA need to hold the IRC Representative in check and not the WALL Ambassador?
If people would like for our WALL ambassador to be held in check by the RA as well then that's certainly a possibility that can be explored.

I know that there are many who would be wary of Delegate empowerment and the expansion of executive authority, so this would just establish a formal procedure for which the Delegate and their chosen appointees can be better held to account by our legislative branch.

I am glad you recognize an issue in the FA department but do you have any plan as to how to address rather than waiting for someone to come along and solve it for you?
Please reference my already-elaborated upon plans for increased recruitment and a focus on developing talent internally within the Executive Staff as mentioned earlier in this post for an answer to your question here.

Additionally, also see this post where I respond to Fregerson's follow-ups.

I think that you misinterpret what I mean by "low-stakes" operations. See these two posts (here and here) where I talk about that along with other things that Defense will be doing.
I don't believe either of those posts clarify what you mean by "low-stakes operations".

If people would like for our WALL ambassador to be held in check by the RA as well then that's certainly a possibility that can be explored.

I know that there are many who would be wary of Delegate empowerment and the expansion of executive authority, so this would just establish a formal procedure for which the Delegate and their chosen appointees can be better held to account by our legislative branch.
How is it Delegate empowerment for the Delegate to be able to determine how the Representative can be decided? The Delegate has always had that authority in recent history—it's neither empowerment or an expansion of executive authority.

Please reference my already-elaborated upon plans for increased recruitment and a focus on developing talent internally within the Executive Staff as mentioned earlier in this post for an answer to your question here.
Those answers indicate a general focus on players—FA already has new players joining it and taking up Ambassadorships. Indeed, we often are lacking for regions to assign Ambassadors to. Working on getting more players will not help in developing the talent necessary. Do you have any specific plans for FA integration?

In her platform Nimarya proposed the following, regarding Foreign Affairs staff:
... by having junior staff tag along to some FA discussions as strict observers, they can learn by watching instead of just being thrown into the fire. Also, by discussing recent FA decisions and developments with FA staff, Senior Diplomats can break down the history, nuance, and reasoning behind the events so that newer diplomats can gain a larger knowledge base and a better understanding.
You wrote:
... FA lacks someone who can truly take up the mantle at some point in the future should past Ministers not wish to continue in or return to the role.

Don't you agree that what your opponent proposed be a solution to the issue you mentioned? And if not, what would be the best way to form a new generation of Senior Diplomats?

Last edited:
Don't you agree that what your opponent proposed be a solution to the issue you mentioned? And if not, what would be the best way to form a new generation of Senior Diplomats?
Regarding your question about Nimarya’s platform, I agree that with a focus on training. Our new ambassadors and even our older ones could learn a lot from our Senior Diplomats, but it has been difficult in the past for them to be available for mentoring since it can be tricky to find good opportunities for newer ambassadors to observe FA business given how sensitive it often is. If I did something like this, it would probably be a seminar or Q&A type thing, but it depends a lot on how the Senior Diplomats are able to participate.

FA tried a buddy system a while ago and it was difficult to do, it can be difficult for ambassadors to do their work and teach someone too. If we did it again maybe it should be a volunteer program. We can find a few willing to try and partner them with new ambassadors who want the challenge and if it works we can do it more and maybe it becomes a full program. But I think we have a solid program now that we can build into something more, and it doesn’t require throwing ambassadors into the fire while they learn about other places and the kind of information that matters most in FA.

I like this.
I'm glad that our Revolutionary Leader is pleased by this

How is it Delegate empowerment for the Delegate to be able to determine how the Representative can be decided? The Delegate has always had that authority in recent history—it's neither empowerment or an expansion of executive authority.
Indeed, but I'm sensitive to the caution that people in the region have taken about the Delegate having too much unilateral authority nonetheless.

Generlaly speaking, I'm definitely understanding of and even sympathetic to past efforts by the RA to have more of a say in regional matters, so my comment about Delegate empowerment was meant as a way of eluding to this. My thought process on this is that having the RA weigh in on the IRC representative is a good way for our legislature to have some oversight over that going into the long term.

Those answers indicate a general focus on players—FA already has new players joining it and taking up Ambassadorships. Indeed, we often are lacking for regions to assign Ambassadors to. Working on getting more players will not help in developing the talent necessary. Do you have any specific plans for FA integration?
Yes, I do.

Part of the reason why I'd like staffers in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to focus so much on updating the World Factbook Project is because it has the potential to become the basis for all of our diplomatic activity going forward and be one of the best projects that we have to share with the wider NationStates world.

Instead of the old report system that we've used in the past to mixed results, the WF project can be the template for reports and the ambassadors can use it for their updates. What this does is ensure that the WF remains constantly up to date and contains more useful and interesting information as the term progresses. It also adds extra incentive for those considering engaging in diplomacy with us since regions will want to establish relations so that they can be part of the WF and be seen by more players in the game.

TNP can be the authority on FA information in the same way that we are with Cards and with the WA, but it all starts with how we utilize the World Factbook Porject in the future.

To spearhead this, more than one staffer will be invited to work on the entries of regions who have more information to study and more intricacies to cover. In the past, one person doing reports has been difficult for some ambassadors. I would alleviate this by having a couple of people take turns and focus on different areas so as to make it more collaborative and to give them more to do. When staffers aren't working on this, their efforts can be redirected to better assist the Ministry of World Assembly Affairs in informing its staffers on upcoming votes. Having information about other regions, historically similar resolutions, authors, and more can help FA staffers gain exposure in other areas so that they aren't left behind to sit and wait for an ambassadorial assignment to become available.

Additionally, FA can also be a great voice in the ear of the Ministry of Culture when planning festivals and events to remind them of protocols or how things work in the region. Doing this means that we can bring the experience of staffers to new places in government and actively encourage them to step outside of the ministry's bubble.

All of these are ways in which we can incorporate FA into other aspects of government, thus integrating. It will, however, be a process of trial and error in its early stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back