-
-
Pronouns
he/him
TNP Nation
El_Fiji_Grande
Discord
El Fiji Grande (#3446)
As many of you already know, I've spent the last several months taking lessons to get a private pilot's license in a Cessna 172N. What you probably don't know is that I've taken detailed notes on many, if not all of my lessons. I've decided to post those reflections here as a blog in order to help me better recall those memories and to help de-mystify the process of getting a pilot's license if anyone here is interested.

Ground School in February 2020.

Last edited:
2/8/2020. C172. N75706. C29 > local. Intro, rudder turns, power, pitch. 1 T/O; 1 LDG. 0.5 Single-Engine Land.

No notes found for this flight.

Last edited:
3/21/2020. C172. N3477E. C29 > local. Turns, straight + level, climbs, descents. 1 T/O; 1 LDG. 1.4 Single-Engine Land.

No notes found for this flight.

Last edited:
Long break from flying due to Covid. Had to restart.
In August, I got a new PC specifically to play Microsoft Flight Simulator. I flew several practice flights in-game with a focus on procedures and ATC communication.

It's less advice than just making sure I'm doing certain things right
Like pre-flight walk arounds, checklist sequences, VFR flight rules, etc
True advice will come in the form of actual in-person flight instruction
I know there's certain things I can't learn in the simulator. But there are certain things, like pre-flight planning, radio calls, instrumentation, visual navigation, etc that are helpful to play around with
And I just want to make sure I'm doing those things right so I'm not forming bad habits
But anyway, it was a ton of fun
I basically spent the entire video explaining what I was doing and what I was thinking.
And trying to remember certain things from ground school
Like VFR map symbology

Last edited:
A flight instructor from Morey actually reached out to me today (as opposed to the other way around). He's looking for students.
My original plan had been to take my written exam, get my medical, and wait until Spring 2021 rolls around again to restart lessons. I'm worried not just about shutdowns from Covid, but also that the onset of winter will mean less suitable flying days in the coming months. The instructor is also Belgian, so he has a bit of an accent.
But it's also a great opportunity. Since I stopped lessons a while back, there's now a long waiting list of students at Morey, and this would be a chance to jump to the top of that priority list. And since I now can do some chair flying from home, I might make progress more quickly.
Thoughts? Should I jump on the offer, or wait... maybe until early next year to continue?
Probably you should just do it
the waiting list will be even longer in the spring
I'm kind of thinking I just lean in and do it, because it'll be something to look forward to, and I'm kind of done with waiting as it is. There will always be reasons and excuses to not do it, but I really am interested.
Yeah, you should do it
Ok, pending weather, my next lesson will be Monday evening after work.

how much are you paying for a day of lessons
A lot
I frankly don't want to think about it too much
But uh... roughly... $65/hr for the plane, $60/hr for the instructor, a few gallons of $4-5/gal avgas, and roughly 2 hr lessons means 2*(65+60)+gas = $250-300/day
Oh, and throw in tax
So call it $300 for a 2hr lesson with instructor.
Which .. is a lot
It is, however, the best deal around, I'm pretty sure. And it's close to my apt/work.
That’s not awful
So, minimum would be: 20 hrs with instructor + 2 hrs with examiner + 20 hrs solo flight. 11x300 + 10x175 = 5050. That seems low. I must have made a mistake somewhere. Hmm. Anyway, I'll take more than the minimum to get ready for the check ride. I've budgeted $12k (of which, I've probably chewed through 1k already between books, ground school, and the two lessons I've had so far). I do hope it costs less than that though.(edited)
Right now, I'm just interested in PPL rather than going further with it. As I've mentioned in the past, I'm more interested in low/slow (super cub/kitfox type plane) than IFR and fast. But who knows - as I get into it, maybe I'll want to take it beyond that.
Which would mean I'd also like to get a tail-dragger rating
Yeah that seems within the curve of what I was expecting
and yeah taildraggers are bomb

Last edited:
9/14/2020. C172. N3477E. C29 > local. Intro, steep turns, (unintelligible). 1 T/O; 1 LDG. 1.0 Single-Engine Land.

No written notes available from this flight.

Last edited:
9/20/2020. C172. N75706. C29 > local. Stalls, steep turns. 1 T/O; 1 LDG. 1.0 Single-Engine Land.

I had control of the plane for everything except landing. He just gave me commands. "Fly heading 220 at 3000" and then as soon as I got there, "Good, now bank left to 140 and descend to 2500. Just practicing general control of the plane for a while. Then he had me do 360 degree turns at different bank angles (but constant altitude). Then we did stall training at 3000', slowing down, pitching up, hear the stall warning, feel the shake and the plane pitches down, then recover. This part was the most uncomfortable for me, and gave me bit of a headache/nausea. I suppose that's something I'll learn to control more as I keep flying. One thing I did notice is that the steep turns weren't bad this time, and I felt fine, in contrast to last time. It was a bit bumpier today, with winds 180 at 10, gusting 20. Then as we came back towards Madison, he had me listen to the weather & write it down and fly the plane at the same time. I thought I was doing ok-ish, but then he pointed to my altimeter and I realized we were descending pretty quickly. I clearly got overly distracted by the weather and should have focused more on flying the plane first. Something I'll need to practice. Instructor handled the landing, which I was thankful for given the heavy crosswind.

Last edited:
9/25/2020. C172. N4879D. C29 > local. Stalls. 1 T/O; 1 LDG. 1.0 Single-Engine Land.

I went flying for an hour and felt that the lesson was very productive as well. While we were circling for a medevac and my instructor had the controls, he suggested that I take a few pictures. Seemed like a good idea to me, so I have a few from the air today.
HEykOD9.jpg

b7b9Ljt.jpg

b3Eyw00.jpg

oILS2nz.jpg

Last edited:
9/26/2020. C172. N4879D. C29 > local. Stalls. Ground reference maneuvers. 1 T/O; 1 LDG. 1.0 Single-Engine Land.

Today's lesson consisted of an intro to ground reference maneuvers. Clouds were scattered and low, so we climbed over them. Wind was 10 gusting 20 out of the south. Did a quick review of stalls, then found a road that runs due east/west, and crabbed into the wind to follow it. After that, we found the absolute perfect field to practice turns around a point.
Next lesson will be rectangular patterns and S-turns.
Also, after just a few lessons, I have changed my opinion of steep turns. They still seem unnecessary, but they are a bit fun.

Last edited:
9/27/2020. Aviation third class medical certificate obtained!

I've noticed a persistent headache after each flight lesson. Any idea what might be causing this?
Pretty sure it's not dehydration - I make sure to get enough before and after each flight
Not hypoxia - we haven't yet flown over 5000 MSL
If I had to guess I’d say dehydration, related to sudden altitude changes
The altitude affects it?
My theories are: (i) Maybe a reaction to mild G-forces? (ii) Maybe I'm concentrating too much, and my brain is overwhelmed, leading to exhaustion and headaches? (iii) Maybe slight motion sickness?
Could be those things as well, but in my experience you can tell that those are the root cause more easily
I had a bad headache yesterday after flying, and while better, it persisted all day today
I really enjoy flying, so in light of that, this isn't bad. I just want to figure it out so I can avoid it.
My friend was totally right. It was dehydration combined with air-sickness.

Last edited:
9/28/2020. C172. N4879D. C29 > local. Ground reference maneuvers, turns around a point, rectangular pattern. 5 T/O, 5 LDG. 1.2 Single-Engine Land.

An incredible evening to fly
Today's lessons consisted of ground reference maneuvers (S-turn, rectangle, circle around point, follow road), intro to pattern flying (with me making all the radio calls), and touch-and-gos.
Next lesson will be more of the same, but with greater emphasis on landings

Did you do any of the touchdowns this time?
Yes - five - but all with instructor guidance.
What did you think? Feel pretty natural or still getting used to it?
I think I'm still getting used to it. A lot of practice still needed.
Yeah, it'll get more intuitive over time
Sounds like you're progressing quickly
I think I've just had a lot of lessons. Three out of the last four days.
How many hours now total?
Not sure what the exact total is now - left my logbook in the car
With this instructor, probably 5 hours now. Total is probably about 7.
Yeah, already working on landings at that point means it's going at least as well as it's supposed to
Today, I drank a ton of water before the flight. By the time we landed, I really needed to use the restroom, which is the downside of that. I do still have a mild headache now though, and I'm completely exhausted.
But the headache is a bit less bad
I also told my instructor about it. He said he gets them sometimes too. He said for him, hydration and noise cancelling headphones were the trick.
Anyway, I'm flattened. Even though it's not even 9pm, I think I'm going to go to bed for the night.
gKRuefO.jpg

Last edited:
10/04/2020. C172. N4879D. C29 > local. Patterns. Ground reference maneuvers. 11 T/O, 11 LDG. 1.4 Single-Engine Land.

No notes found from this flight.

Last edited:
10/05/2020. C172. N4879D. C29 > local. Patterns. 9 T/O, 9 LDG. 1.3 Single-Engine Land.

Had a lesson yesterday and a lesson today. Big focus on learning landings. 20 touch and goes between the two lessons
Awesome. How're you feeling about it
Today flew to Sauk Prairie. It's only about 15 NM away, so I don't think that counts as a cross country. We did touch and goes there because the runway there had less crosswind.
Also did a few on the turf runway at Morey
Absolutely loving the lessons. My pattern flying has visibly improved. Landings still need a ton of work.
Making all radio calls, doing all normal flying. My instructor is a bit chatty most of the time, pointing out cool landmarks, talking about dinner/weekend plans, and other local attractions. I'm wondering if he's doing it to relax me or to test my ability not to get too distracted by it.
Then landings... Yeah. Lots to think about. Managing the energy upon landing is getting more instinctual. Managing crosswind, however, is not.
Also, the big takeaway for me in both of the lessons has been PULL BACK DAMMIT in order to flare
yeah flaring seems hard
plenty to "unpack" there

if you're careful about the visual cues you use you can get a lot of utility out of doing crosswind landings in the sim
Made two errors today on landings. First one was a sudden gust of crosswind that brought the upwind wing up, but I over-corrected, forcing the upwind wing down like ten feet above the runway. Instructor very quickly corrected. Number two was on the turf field, I noticed we were slightly high and a bit fast on very short (60ft?) Final. Turf runway is pretty short, so less room to float, so I pulled power to idle. I should have eased it back more gradually, because we suddenly dropped. We would have hit the runway VERY hard. Instructor pushed throttle forward in time, and we made a soft landing. He mentioned that we would probably have been fine, but would have wanted to inspect the landing gear after the flight to be sure.
I also would have instinctively corrected and brought the power forwards, but it would have been too late. My hand was hovering by the throttle, but I hesitated where my instructor acted.

uahV2L6.jpg

Last edited:
10/06/2020. C172. N4879D. C29 > local. Engine failure procedure. Patterns. 5 T/O, 5 LDG. 1.3 Single-Engine Land.

Just did another lesson. I felt this one was very productive. They all have been, but on this one I made a bit of a leap towards safer landings
Specifically, I'd definitely gotten the overall procedure down on previous lessons, but still struggled with the flare, as I mentioned before. Today, I asked Bram to fly another complete landing himself, just so I could get another example of what a flare should look like. Essentially, a much bigger flare than I'd been doing on all previous landings. As soon as I had a fresh mental image to compare it to, the next two landings were substantially better. Could still improve the flare, but now I know what I did wrong on each one, whereas before it was a bit more arbitrary in my mind
We also practiced in flight engine failure, in that we were flying around, and Bram suddenly cut the power to idle. "Now what do you do?" I definitely need more practice making my responses more automatic, but he pulled the throttle at such an altitude that I thankfully had the time.
Meanwhile, I'm starting to study for my written exam
Oh, and we circled/overflew Devil's Lake just for fun in today's flight

Nice! Sounds like its going well
I think so. Bram thinks I'll be ready for my first solo after about 3-4 more lessons. I disagree. I think I need a lot more, haha
that's what its like
Another student today, on their first solo, didn't land the plane on the runway. Apparently he came down hard onto the grass next to the runway, slid, and narrowly avoided a ditch. We had to check the plane over carefully before our flight as a result. Thankfully, both the plane and the student made it by without a scratch. Nevertheless, I don't want that to be me!
Interesting
The biggest lesson there to me is to not be afraid to go around almost ever, particularly on your first solo

That’s not a super narrow runway, so there’s just no way they didn’t have a chance to notice something was very wrong early enough
That was also with a different instructor. Bram gave me this quote about how you should always expect to have to go around, and that actually landing is just a nice bonus

https://www.moreyairport.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Cessna172NChecklist.pdf
This is the checklist I use. Going to print it off so I can look at it when I have spare moments.

Last edited:
10/07/2020. C172. N4879D. C29 > local. Engine failure procedure, patterns. 12 T/O, 12 LDG. 1.5 Single-Engine Land.

Really itching to spend more time outside. Just got up from my desk, left the building, and went to the park.
Probably not a good idea

The park is next to the airport, so I'm watching takeoffs that fly right overhead
It's very peaceful
I love reading those chart supplements
Lesson today was 12 touch and go landings. Two were with no flaps, two were simulating power failure on one landing, one deliberate go around, and the rest were normal landings. On all of them, I did everything - I didn't even feel my instructor helping on the controls.
Pattern flying greatly improved. General awareness greatly improved. I'm much quicker to react on getting speed right, remembering carb heat and flaps on landing. Crosswind still needs a bit of work. Still doing pretty hard landings, but getting better.
I'm very stable on approach, and have honed a better sense of what my altitude should be relative the runway, as in, better at noticing if I'm high or low. It's just that flare at the very end, which brings the nose wheel to the ground very fast
Next lessons Sat/Sun

That puts my touch/go total at 37
Which seems like far more than I've actually done. I can't believe it's 37. Feels like 10.
wow, that's a lot

yZ8ZSGK.jpg

Last edited:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beechcraft_1900
Saw one of these land at Morey the other day. I had an interesting conversation with a UPS truck driver who had arrived to pick up parcels from the plane.

The plane had been converted from a passenger carrier to a freighter. The entire inside was stuffed with little square boxes. UPS guy said that there's a lab here in Madison that tests for different chemicals in samples provided by cancer patients. He said the samples come in from a number of different cities around the country, and that a large part of his job is to coordinate with the delivery planes and pick them all up.

Last edited:
10/10/2020. C172. N4879D. C29 > local. Patterns. 15 T/O; 15 LDG. 1.4 Single-Engine Land.
10/11/2020. C172. N3477E. C29 > local. Patterns. 17 T/O; 17 LDG. 1.7 Single-Engine Land.

Had another flight lesson both yesterday and today. Yesterday featured a fairly constant crosswind component, that, while not gusting, I still found extremely challenging. I couldn't quite wrap my mind around how best to correct for the crosswind while still keeping my approach velocity and heading stable. This will remain a problem. Today, there was more wind, but it was perfectly aligned with one of the runways. Today's lesson featured 17 touch-and-gos and I did very well. Of them, I'd rank 14 or so as "good landings" though with each one, there is still room to improve.
How strong was the cross
Not that bad... Like 8 kts pure crosswind
I always think of it like drifting
You're drifting the plane into land
Point the nose upwind and slide a bit sideways
Yeah, it's that slide I was having difficulty with. I'd turn from base to final, line up, and then notice the drift pushing me off track. I'd correct with aileron into the wind and opposite rudder - and probably didn't do this enough. Closer to the ground, bringing the nose up while keeping that crosswind correction in place - especially the aileron - was difficult. I think trimming the plane for nose up on approach would have helped, because I was always pulling back really hard on the stick during yesterday's lesson. I'd always either have my upwind wing too low or, just after landing, not make the proper crosswind correction such that you could feel the wind attempting to flip the plane by pushing the upwind wing up and over. I always pulled it back in time, but only because the instructor was there to tell me what to do.

I'm fairly confident about landings when there is either no or only a very small crosswind component. One of the problems that I had before (that I fixed today) was that I had been flaring too early, which would result in a floating effect substantially above the runway. My speed would then bleed off, and I'd hold the flare through stall, and the plane would sink at a bad angle, hit the runway pretty hard, and then I'd ease up on the flare immediately, causing the front wheel to impact hard as well. What I've done to fix that is to hold off on my flare until it's almost too late (probably also not a good habit to get into) while aiming for the numbers on the runway. Then, as I crest the edge of the field, I gently bring the nose up, and flare continuously until the back wheels smoothly hit the runway. Then, holding the flare into the landing, the nose sinks onto the surface. The main problems today weren't so much with the flare, but with keeping the nose straight at the instant the plane lands, and with making sure I don't land with one main wheel before the other. But overall, the landings were much better, and the lessons I learned today can be applied to some extent to the crosswind landings as well.
When I land a glider in a strong crosswind, my controls are generally cornered or almost cornered. Always needed more than I figured I did
Yep, that's what I noticed as well. I had been doing this correction a little, and my instructor took the controls, and basically floored the rudder and did a ton of aileron. I was really surprised, because I would not have thought this configuration would be stable.
In my previous lessons, my instructor said I should change my name to "Bring the nose up" because that's what I always needed to do. Today, this was less of a concern, thankfully.
Go watch some videos of strong crosswind landings from a few angles. Seeing gliders land in wind was helpful for me to set up the intuition
I'll do that.

After the lesson today, I went fly fishing - also with my flight instructor :P I caught two very small fish, which we let back in
That's awesome
Did he charge you for the fly fishing lesson
No.

I'm also not getting the headaches after flying anymore. Think it was a big combination of things. Biggest reason is dehydration, with smaller factors being headset clamp settings, slight motion sickness, and noise.
Just filled in the first whole page of my logbook

Last edited:
10/21/2020. C172. N438ER. C29 > local. Patterns. 7 T/O, 7 LDG. 0.9 Single-Engine Land.

I had another flight lesson today, after a roughly one and a half week hiatus (due to poor weather/availability issues). I accidentally booked time with my instructor, but not with a plane as well, and so had to be flexible. I flew the C172S, rather than the C172N, which was more expensive than usual, but I wanted to get back up into the air. It was also a shorter flight than usual at just 0.9 hours for two reasons: those being the added expense, and some concern that I might form bad habits given that the S model doesn't need carburetor heat. Wind was 320/4, so basically no wind. I flew seven patterns and had seven good landings back to back to back without any help. I'm feeling quite confident when there is no wind, but still have some element of trepidation at crosswind landings, which I have not had a chance to practice recently. Today was also the first flight with my new headset, and I felt a noticeable improvement. That said, the C172S is also a lot quieter than the N model anyway... so maybe it's a combination of things. The two main errors I made during the flight were: (i) during the turn from crosswind to downwind, I consistently let my altitude drop about 50-100ft below pattern altitude before climbing back up. The way to rectify this is to make sure to look at the angle the cowling makes with the horizon during the turn in order to correct while it's happening. The vertical speed indicator tends to be a bit laggy, I've noticed. (ii) I ended low on the base leg on several of the patterns I flew today, and needed to add slightly more power in order to maintain altitude to intercept glide. This was never a problem, but had I lost power right then, I would not have made the runway in any of those cases. I think a slight correction would be to not take out nearly as much power when abeam of the runway to begin my descent.

My instructor says I am ready to solo, but I'm going to do a few more lessons first, hopefully with moderate crosswind just so I boost my ability in those situations.
Awesome! Super exciting
Yeah, what you’ve pointed out is the main difference between VSIs in powered planes and variometers in gliders. VSIs have time constants like 10 or 20 seconds, and varios are more like 1 or 2 seconds
So if it takes 20 seconds to execute the turn to downwind, the VSI might only be reading 62% of the rate of descent you had once you entered the turn by the time you’ve rolled out
How common is it to see a variometer in a powered plane, do you think
I think pretty rare, pretty much only motorgliders I would think
The 172S felt substantially more stable than the 172N. Especially on final. Maybe I'm just getting better, but there was a smoothness to it that felt weird
That adds up with what I've heard

Last edited:
10/24/2020. C172. N75706. C29 > local. Patterns. 8 T/O, 8 LDG. 1.1 Single-Engine Land.

Had a lesson yesterday, and another today. Lesson yesterday was all patterns. Flying the N75706, and almost immediately after takeoff, something felt ... off. I mentioned to my instructor that the rudder felt stiff, in that it felt normal with right rudder, but was harder than normal to push left rudder. He took the controls, and tried it, and had no trouble, so I guess it was just my foot. Upon short final and landing, I realized another issue. That being that I really need a better reference for what the approximate right angle of flare is to land. What I've done in the past is to watch how my instructor did the landing, and made a mental note of the visual angle the engine cowling should make with the end of the runway. However, I realize now that how this angle translates to the attitude of the plane is dependent upon other factors, such as the height and lean of my seat. So I'll need to work on a more reliable visual reference, or get a better instinctive feel for pitch angle during flare, or more consistently adjust my seat prior to engine start. I did seven landings, and all of them were crap. It felt like a bit of a regression from my previous experience in the C172S.

Last edited:
10/25/2020. C172. N3477E. C29 > local. Stalls, engine fail, patterns. 4 T/O, 4 LDG. 1.0 Single-Engine Land.
Today's lesson was in the N3477E, and I took a bit more time to properly adjust my seat before we left. The weather was a bit interesting, with radar showing snow showers to the west headed in our direction, and the clouds were overcast at 10,000. Crosswind was about 6-8 knots. Since I've done so many missions of pure pattern work, and since my instructor thinks I'm close to soloing, I wanted to do some review of stall recovery and forced landings, just since I was getting a bit rusty. We headed west to the practice area, and did two of each type of stall. I mentioned to my instructor that I really couldn't imagine myself ever getting into a takeoff stall. I didn't say this out of arrogance, it's just that getting into a pitch up orientation of 20+ degrees on take off isn't something I'm comfortable with. My take off pitch is typically far lower. He demonstrated that it's actually quite easy to get into such a scenario, and simulated a go-around with a lot of nose-up trim. I realized then that he had a point. We did a few steep turns between 45 and 60 degrees, and at one point I felt that we were almost at a stall. I mentioned this, and he said "no, that's not quite a stall. This is almost a stall..." He proceeded to make me quite uncomfortable in a number of maneuvers that showed what both the plane.. and he .. is capable of. Kind of freaky though. One was a comically high bank angle. I looked first at the ground with trepidation, then at the bank angle indicator. He was doing a 90-95 degree bank. I indicated that it was mildly terrifying, and he replied "No worries, I've got this." He then returned straight and level before pitching the plane substantially up, rammed the rudder to the right, and spun the plane around before correcting back to straight and level. It was like a crop-duster maneuver. The whole time, it was well within what I thought would stall the plane, but it didn't happen. I suppose he was demonstrating the capabilities of the plane.(edited)

We then did a few forced landing practice runs, including one on the way back to base that was the most realistic. He pulled the power when I wasn't expecting it, which is right when engine failures happen anyway. Then, back at base, we flew a few patterns. On the second pattern, we noticed visibility starting to drop. On the third pattern, the horizon had become obscured. On the fourth pattern, it was heavily snowing and the visibility had dramatically worsened, with the cloud base dropping rapidly. That was our last pattern, and we came to a full-stop landing. It was a valuable lesson of just how quickly conditions can worsen. I had expected to see snow showers in the distance as they approached, but what really happened is that they formed above us, just where I hadn't expected them. The ceiling dropped from 10,000 to below 1,000 within an hour, and the majority of that went within the last fifteen minutes.

I should also mention that my crosswind landings were greatly improved today. We just did four of them, but on each one, my crosswind correction was much better, in that I brought the upwind wing much lower and used almost full opposite rudder. I'm still surprised how stable this configuration is, and how little aileron is actually needed. I landed on or close to the centerline each time. I think my nickname is still "Keep the nose up" given that, while acceptable, I could have done even more flare. One of the landings wasn't as good as the other three, and it was all because I got distracted on the downwind and missed the spot where I'd normally reduce power, speed, and drop flaps. I came in high and fast turning base to final, so I reduced power to idle, dropped 40 degrees flaps, and tried my best to correct. I actually had to add power at the end to make the runway, but then pulled it back to idle and flared a bit too high, so it was a harder than normal landing. Just goes to show that it's so much easier to pull off a good landing when you've set yourself up well for one.

What's your opinion of using aviation apps like ForeFlight to help with flight planning?
Essential
I appreciate your flight reports
I do them because they help me reflect on each lesson, and give you guys the opportunity to comment.
Are you getting a gut feel for the crosswind drift correction?
Like an inertial feel
I haven't had many opportunities to practice it, but yes. I can feel the effects of wind on the plane before I see it.
At this point, I've met all of the requirements to solo. Just practicing landings now to boost confidence.
You're lucky you get a choice. Our instructor just one day would be like "I'm not getting in today, go"

Last edited:
11/7/2020. C172. N4879D. C29 > local. Patterns. 9 T/O, 9 LDG. 1.5 Single-Engine Land.
11/8/2020. C172. N3477E. C29 > local. Patterns. 10 T/O, 10 LDG. 1.5 Single-Engine Land.

Yesterday, wind was 220 at 12, gusting 16. That's a pretty direct crosswind, and I flew a few patterns at Morey for practice in moderate crosswind. The first takeoff went very poorly. Barreling down the runway, pull back on the stick, accelerate and climb at 75, and then a big gust of wind yanked the left wing down at an altitude of about 120 ft AGL. I reacted exactly the wrong way, and applied left instead of right rudder, angling the plane into a deeper left bank, tipping the nose down, and aiming us straight for a hanger. I immediately realized my mistake, and corrected appropriately - and felt my instructor helping on the controls, correcting the bad attitude, turning back to a heading along the runway, accelerating, and pitching up to continue climbing. It was a scary moment. The rest of the lesson went fine, with a lot of good practice in moderate crosswind conditions. We also flew over to Sauk Prairie for a few landings with a bit less crosswind, which went better. I decided to come back a bit early because my mouth was totally dry and I felt dehydrated. It was of course at that moment that my instructor pulled the power and simulated engine failure. My reaction time is way up, and I responded appropriately. I'm confident that had we actually had to make an emergency landing right then, that we'd have made it.

Today, wind was 190 at 8, though after one and a half hours, this had risen to 180 at 13, gusting 15. We stayed at Morey for pattern work, with the intent of practicing crosswind landings. We did ten landings total today, and I nailed every one of them. One was a little bit more risky with a sudden gust on short final, but it ended well. I think the biggest single takeaway from this lesson was to make small corrections rather than constantly trying to correct for every perceived motion of the plane - it just doesn't help, and if anything makes you less stable on final approach. The second lesson was good communication with other pilots on the field. At the end of the lesson, we were flying a rather unusual pattern with two other folks, in which we'd take off on Runway 10, make a 270 degree right turn and enter the downwind for Runway 19, fly an extended downwind to allow another guy to takeoff from 10, then turn base and final, landing on the grass strip, then cross 10, taxi to the other end, and takeoff on 10 again.

The lesson today was an absolute blast, and I think it was the most fun out of any of my lessons so far. My headset has been working wonders, and the practice in crosswind conditions have been building my confidence with them.

Instructor today told me after five or so landings that normally he'd hop out and let me fly solo, but that he didn't like the crosswind conditions and wanted to wait for a calmer day. I agreed. I'm definitely building confidence in moderate crosswind conditions, and while I did perform well today, I'd be more comfortable soloing with minimal wind - at least for my first time
As far as fine tuning goes... there are definitely a few things I could do better, or might be good to go over to help me remember for next time.
1. In crosswind conditions (in this case, from the right), more (or less, if coming from the other way) rudder is needed. In my takeoffs today, I could have anticipated the crosswind once in the air more, because after takeoff, I'd immediately start drifting off the runway, and would only then correct by pushing the nose more into the wind.
2. When turning from upwind to crosswind with wind from the right, I don't need to use left rudder to help initiate the turn. Rather, I can just ease up on right rudder and use ailerons to more smoothly make the bank.
3. The flight is only over once the plane is tied down. During two of the landings today, I did a good job with the crosswind correction on final, but reverted to holding the ailerons and elevators level once on the ground. No! I have to remember to keep the crosswind correction even while taxiing.
4. Crosswind correction doesn't need to be, and often shouldn't be constant. For instance, landing with crosswind from the right today, I aileroned into the wind and really rammed left rudder. My instructor explained that you only need to apply so much rudder so as to direct the longitudinal axis of the plane to align with the runway. Keeping the upwind wing low is important, even through landing.
5. Being cognitive of where other aircraft are on and over the field and understanding their intent is valuable to fly safely. My instructor made a few radio calls during this lesson, addressing an aircraft holding short, indicating that we'd fly an extended downwind to allow for them to takeoff. It struck me as a good idea.

Today definitely felt like two steps forward. Hopefully next time isn't one step back.
Sounds like you're getting close!

Last edited:
11/14/2020. C172. N3477E. C29 > local. Patterns. 10 T/O, 10 LDG. 1.1 Single-Engine Land.

Flight lesson today went well. All the rental planes had been stowed in the main hangar overnight due to the cold. We had to wheel two planes out first to make way for the one we had booked. My instructor believes I am now overprepared for my first solo, but winds today were 15 gusting 20 from 160, so that's still 10-15 knots crosswind. Nonideal for a first solo. Instructor wanted to fly to Sauk Prairie for less wind, but I changed plans in the air and decided I wanted to build competency with the higher crosswind. The winds were pretty weird today. Patterns basically consisted of: strong crosswind correction on the ground, take off with less aileron but stronger rudder, build hundreds of feet more altitude by the time I hit the crosswind turn, a bit bumpy on crosswind turning to downwind, and then turn substantially into the wind (felt like 35 degrees into the wind, since winds aloft were 40 knots), climb to pattern altitude, reduce power once abeam, pull 10-20 degrees flaps and turn base, ground speed slows to about 35 knots so I'm just puttering along, descend and maybe pull flaps to 30 degrees, turn final, and use strong crosswind correction for the first part of final but ease it up almost to none at all just above the ground (hangers & trees were blocking so much), and then once on the ground, full crosswind correction again, touch and go.

Practiced several flapless landings as well. On those, I noticed that it was not sufficient to transition my eyes to the runway as usual, and that I instead had to keep watching my speed as I came in, since I had too much energy. Also practiced three engine out scenarios: two from downwind and one from upwind. For the downwind ones, I flew a close downwind so that we could make the field, but frankly I don't think we'd have needed to, since we were frankly so high that I had to pull 40 degrees flaps on my approaches in order to get down. For the upwind one, instructor pulled the power at 300' AGL, and frankly, we would have been so fucked. If the power fails at that moment when taking off on runway 28, that's no problem, since there's a farm field straight ahead. However, we were on runway 10, and just ahead is a car dealership, power lines, street lamps, and a highway normal to the flight path. Best bet would have been to turn left and try to land on a small field on the other side of the highway or to try to line up for the highway itself. Either way, we wouldn't have had enough altitude to think things through, take time to line up, or find a good opportunity on the highway. That's frankly the biggest problem taking off from that runway.

I had been checking the fuel levels on that plane (4879D), but it turns out someone else had booked that one. So instead we flew my favorite of the rental aircraft, the 3477E.

Last edited:
11/21/2020. C172. N3477E. C29 > local. Patterns. 4 T/O, 4 LDG. 0.7 Single-Engine Land.
11/21/2020. C172. N3477E. C29 > local. FIRST SOLO! 3 T/O, 3 LDG. 0.7 Single-Engine Land.

FIRST SOLO!
Excellent
Congratulations!!!
Wish I was there
Flew three patterns. Smooth landings. Weather was perfect. Zero wind.
Can't wait to hear all about it
What did it feel like??
Oh yeah. Quite a story to tell.
I felt an incredible sense of freedom.
I know just the one
Very comfortable. Not a worry in my body.
Full stop landings each time.
After the third landing, my time was up so I was going to bring it all the way back to the hangar. As I was taxiing back though, my right main tire went flat and the plane tilted right hard.
There was another pilot on the ramp who I was blocking who helped me out. I shut down the engine on the taxiway and had him call unicom to send someone out.
I got out, inspected the tire for damage, and saw that it wasn't something I just pull back on my own. I texted my instructor to let him know what was up and waited for him to arrive.
We waited for the airport staff to arrive. The guy came in a tractor and brought a jack and a platform for the flat tire to ride on. He pulled up way too fast to the plane though, didn't brake in time, and smashed into the front of the plane, cracking the landing light and denting the cowling. That's on him.
We then spent the better part of the next hour jacking up the tire and trying to get various platforms to work. The taxiway has cracks, so it kept coming off.

Airport believes tire damage is most likely general wear and tear of the wheel.
I didn't see it on my preflight walk around though, so maybe it was due to a something we did earlier in the lesson. It's a good general reminder to keep my heels on the floor. I really think I did, but who knows, maybe nerves got to me.
Anyway, I'm not letting the tire thing ruin the experience for me. I'm still elated.
What a memory.
Was there any video taken?
Not that I'm aware of. My instructor took a few photos of my plane on my approaches, but they're pretty blurry.
It was a good day though
Despite the wheel issue, I'm feeling pretty accomplished
You don't need me to tell you, but I will anyway, it is a serious accomplishment. It's really awesome that you can fly a fucking plane dude
It's a great feeling
Yes, definitely a big accomplishment
You can tell how happy I am in the ill-advised photo I took of myself on crosswind (photo not included for privacy)
Yeah you totally have the pilot look
pPWffyf.jpg

Last edited:
11/22/2020. C172. N75706. C29 > OVS > C29. Intro to XC. 5 T/O, 5 LDG. 1.7 Single-Engine Land.

FIRST CROSS COUNTRY
Flew to Bocobel, WI, at 4,500'
And back, of course
Easy one because I basically just had to follow the river. Nevertheless, I still felt quite saturated with tasks
Nice!
I think you'll get used to the task situation quicker than you think
Particularly in the cruise phase
Yeah, I think so too. Hardest part will be equipment management. Lots of stuff on my lap. Trying to fold the map to the correct side. Making sure to note times as I fly over waypoints. Crosschecking with my nav log. Figuring out what to say to Madison or Chicago center. Planning for expected runway and approach at destination. And all the while, keeping flight level and altitude constant.
Yes, I remember feeling pretty busy when navigating that way as well
It's totally worth it to have the skillset though. I largely agree with the old guys who complain about the "magenta line generation"
As do I. Using newer tools can work too, but I'd rather have a solid foundation that I can rely on.
As long as you prioritize by aviate, navigate, communicate and use common sense you're likely to be able to navigate potential task saturation situations safely
Would love to see pictures if you had any time to take any
I had one opportunity to take pictures of some of the clouds, but didn't take it. The pictures wouldn't have come out well, and I enjoyed the moment to just take a look around.
Nice, no worries
But I'll paint the picture
Rural southwest Wisconsin is pretty flat, with farm fields and small townships scattered around the countryside. The Wisconsin River winds to the southwest towards the Mississippi, forming interesting patterns and sandy islands along the way. Scattered clouds out of the south are slowly creeping towards us. The sky ahead is separated into clearly defined layers, and we can make out virga in the distance.

Last edited:
11/28/2020. C172. N3477E. C29 > local. Hood work, patterns. 6 T/O, 6 LDG. 1.2 Single-Engine Land.

First time flying under the hood today
Bram first had me close my eyes and put my head down for one minute. I tried my best to stay straight and level, and really didn't feel any motion of the plane. When I opened my eyes, I was in a 35 degree bank to the right. According to Bram, I had banked about the same amount to the left as well.
Then he had me fly 180 degree turns, climbing turns, descending turns, and then directed me on various headings back to the airport. I found that it was fairly easy to fly per his directions given that there was nothing to do but look at the instruments.
Once back, I flew several crosswind patterns with him. I feel like I'm getting worse at crosswind landings again. The first three landings were so bad that my confidence was shaken somewhat. The next three were so good that Bram offered to let me fly solo in it, but I was hesitant, and ultimately declined. It was just a lot.
Started fairly manageable, at 220/6. Then became more pure crosswind, and climbed to 200/11, G15
Plan tomorrow is a short navigation, maybe land at Madison, and likely more practice with the foggles.
I’m sure you know this, but the stronger the wind, the less consistent it is, and the more likely you are to encounter vortices shed off of obstacles and random shear layers, so every approach is pretty different. The fact that you can handle it well some of the time and are getting a good handle on your personal limits is a good sign

is there a piece of technology that measures distances to clouds? I need it for...reasons
Yes. If a DPE asks how far away those clouds are, you say "500ft". If they ask how you know, you say "because that's how far away those clouds are"
XD
lol
I'll let you know how well that works on tornados
Please do. More data is needed.

Last edited:
11/29/2020. C172. N3477E. C29 > HXF > MSN > C29. XC. 3 T/O, 3 LDG. 1.8 Single-Engine Land.

Flight lesson today went about as I planned it last night, with a few small changes. Firstly, given the wind direction this morning, the expected approach path of MSN was from the north, not from the south. This meant that my plan of flying from Waunakee to Sun Prairie would take us too close to the approach path. Further, Bram suggested not flying straight to Waunakee due to the climb performance of the aircraft. The way I had it, we'd take off from C29 and turn towards Waunakee straight away, but this would have us fly over the field at pattern altitude. Bram suggested instead of doing that, that we fly first to the windmills northwest of C29, then fly to a point north of Madison. So the flight plan was: C29>Windmills>Arlington>Watertown>Hartford, and on the return, Hartford>MSN>C29. I found the navigation this time to be a bit easier since I knew what to expect. I was doing my best to think ahead of the plane and plan for what my next steps would be. It was a great time, we hit all the points, and I had the chance to take a few photos of Madison and the surrounding lakes.

There were a few humorous moments during the flight. The first was when the Madison Approach controller made fun of my flight plan. We called MSN Approach as we flew over the Windmills to the northwest, requesting flight following to Hartford. They told us to climb to 3500, enter a squawk code, and kind of implied that they thought we would fly direct to Hartford. We clarified our intent by stating plan to fly north to Arlington, then Watertown, then Hartford. He responded with "So let me get this straight... you're flying northeast to Arlington, southeast to Watertown, and back northeast to Hartford?!" He sounded irritated. I said "Affirmative, Cessna 3477E." Then Bram explained it was a training mission, and the approach controller didn't say another word. I laughed. The second funny moment was when, while flying from Hartford back to Watertown, Bram told me he wanted me to practice a diversion by plotting a course to Fort Atkinson, to the southwest. Now imagine.. I'm flying the plane, I've got a ton of stuff on my lap - including a clipboard, pen/paper, VFR sectional chart, and iPad, and I get out the analog flight computer and protractor. I measure the distance between the points, find the course, and calculate the approximate time it will take to fly there. It was absolutely comical how much stuff was in my face. After flying to Fort Atkinson, Bram decided instead of landing there, that we would fly to MSN. The touch and go at Madison was great. The runway was quite wide, and it was cool seeing the jets. But I couldn't focus on that, because I had to worry about descending in time for the runway.

The third funny moment was after climbing back to 2100 MSL, about 4 NM northeast of Morey, I made a call on the Morey CTAF. "Morey Traffic, Cessna 3477E approaching four nautical miles from the northwest, we're going to .... actually we have no idea what we're doing! , Morey." Then, almost immediately, someone else said on frequency: "We appreciate the honesty." My original thought had been to make a straight-in approach to Runway 28, but I recall from my earlier training that Bram thinks it's always better to enter a standard traffic pattern to give everyone time to react and give us time to make a standard approach. Basically, just safer, marginally. So while my call would have been "straight in approach runway 28", I didn't have another thought lined up for what the alternative would be, and felt like I had to end the call. It was a good moment. We ended up entering the left crosswind for Runway 28 at pattern altitude.

I was kind of surprised that in Hartford, traffic is right pattern per the sectional chart, but people were flying in from all over the place. There was a Piper doing left traffic and a Bonanza (V-tail) flew straight in.

How are waypoints named?
They’re named by some committee somewhere to be pronounceable and not to be too similar to ones nearby
So when they say “cleared direct X” you go to the right place in context
Right. Some are just weird.
cleared direct to RANDO
Lol
Occasionally you may spot one that has local significance, somehow
I.e there’s an “ALAMO” near San Antonio
Currently listening to liveatc.net. Approach/Departure Fort Wayne. It's pretty quiet.

The pictures below contain views of Madison, Lake Kegonsa, and Lake Koshkonong.
xbxlKqe.jpg

40g7Zez.jpg

ETvkx9h.jpg

dj6eqiM.png

(I accidentally messed up ForeFlight on the north side of Madison, so had to reset it. Hence why it doesn't look complete.

Last edited:
12/05/2020. C172. N3477E. C29 > local. Diversions. 4 T/O, 4 LDG. 1.3 Single-Engine Land.

On Saturday, I planned a VFR XC to Janesville, WI. It's just over the 50NM minimum to count for my logbook, at least given that there was a TFR over the stadium in Madison, so I'd have to fly around. We didn't ultimately fly all the way there, since my instructor wanted me to practice flying a bit more under the hood. That said, it was my first time using a VOR to fly along V97. I only figured out what the instrument was really telling me after I'd flown more than halfway to Janesville. Bram had me practice a diversion (I'm still terribly slow at plotting a course and making calculations in flight), but I was nevertheless successfully able to locate a private airstrip he wanted me to overfly. I did very well flying under the hood, and following that, we did four touch and gos into a headwind aligned almost perfectly with the runway, which weren't my smoothest landings, but were still pretty good. On one of those touch and gos, I spotted a huge bird on the upwind, and pointed it out to Bram. Some people can brag about swimming with dolphins, but I can now brag about flying with an eagle. It was pretty majestic. I flew upwind, then turned left crosswind while it was making a swooping, tighter left turn. Even though I was flying much faster, and ultimately higher, it was alongside the plane for about 1/4 mile, and at its closest, was only about 100' off the wing. Near the end of the lesson, Bram offered to let me fly solo, and I was enthusiastic. However, - in a lesson I won't forget anytime soon - I realized I didn't have my logbook with me, which contained all of my endorsements, my student pilot license, and my medical. Shucks.

Looks like Kitfox substantially upgraded their site. It's much more informative now.
You planning on getting one?
I've been thinking about it for a while. I don't think I will anytime soon.
Recall the dream I had of flying a Kitfox in Alaska...
Still considerably unlikely. But the thought of flying one in the Rockies (and western deserts) considerably less so.
It has nearly everything I would want in an aircraft, with the exception of speed. But its cruise performance isn't much worse than a C172 anyway. I suppose I would also want it capable of IFR flight, but you can modify it such that those instruments are in place.
Still, I have to balance "the dream" with the reality. What would I most frequently use it for, etc. And there, speed comes in handy. But I'm willing to sacrifice that for the STOL performance.
I'd also love to build my own, but I'm really not in the position to do so now. I don't have the space or the tools.
Buying the kit to build it myself (at some hardly foreseeable point in the future) could be either the best or worst idea ever. I'm optimistic now, but I can also imagine myself losing motivation 500+ hours from completion
If you moved here...
I'd help you
Lol
The thought had crossed my mind
Good to know :)
The build manual has been upgraded for useability, there's an online forum of other kitfox builders to help answer questions, and I just discovered a video build series of one here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQKere-MTLgFKz8C8DUhSKw
Which makes the effort seem considerably less... impossible, but still quite daunting
Yeah definitely daunting but totally doable
Met plenty of people who have built a kitfox, and you were just as capable as them
Its about money really
To me there's three things driving it. (i) first and foremost, yes, money. Buying a kit saves you tens of thousands, at least on paper. (ii) a comprehensive understanding of all of the aircraft systems, and (iii) the experience and bragging rights.
Yeah it'd be so cool
My soul has really bought into aviation. Basically my vision for the next five years of my life have been built around my dreams to fly. Get my PPL, tailwheel, and maybe my instrument and/or seaplane rating. Move out west, where there are mountains to climb, forests to explore, and deserts to prowl. Buy a house, so I can settle down and build a plane.
Lucas is so much more vocal about his internal state that I often forget how similar you are to him

Sounds like a plan! I myself like prowling the mountains and climbing the deserts but to each his own
There's so much in wyoming I want to see

Last edited:
01/09/2021. C172. N3477E. C29 > local. Unusual attitudes, hood. 11 T/O, 11 LDG. 2.5 Single-Engine Land.

I booked a 3 hour time slot for a longer lesson since it'd been a while since I'd last flown, and wanted to touch up on a number of skills. We took off from Runway 28 for a straight-out departure to the west practice area. I requested flight information from Madison approach. I then flew under the hood to the Devil's Head ski area near Lake Wisconsin. Bram introduced me to unusual attitude recovery, which we had briefed about on the ground before the flight. I'm really disconcerted by the feelings of motion in my stomach and ears, completely blind to my instruments or the world - it's a lot of trust to place in the instructor. Waking up to find the plane in a terribly unusual attitude wasn't particularly pleasant, but it also wasn't terribly difficult to recover from them either. Instructor had me plot a diversion to Baraboo. I somehow had managed to completely lose my protractor and pen in the cockpit, but just guessed the heading and distance, and it worked out fine. I did six touch-and-gos at Baraboo. The first one was really rocky, since it was the first landing I'd done in quite a while. In fact, I felt so bad about my approach, that I would have opted to just overfly the runway and try again had my instructor not been there to coach me a bit. It was because I was behind the plane in thinking, not ahead of it.

From then on though, I nailed every landing for the rest of the day, which felt great. Still, they were super easy, since I only had a slight 3-5 kt crosswind to contend with. We then flew back across the Wisconsin river, and I spent more time flying with the foggles on. We then practiced steep (45 degree) turns (2x full circle each direction) while maintaining altitude. Then, practiced stall recovery in takeoff and landing configurations. Following that, I flew back to Morey field, entered the downwind at a 45, and proceeded to do four more touch-and-gos, doing a full stop landing on the last one. It ended up being 2.5 hours in the air, and I frankly could have gone on quite a bit longer. I was still feeling fairly fresh, and I was seriously enjoying myself. But I also don't know how much more I would have gotten from continuing to do a few more touch and gos, and the reality of a really huge bill convinced me to call it a day. I do think I could have flown solo again, but didn't bring it up, because my timeslot didn't really provide enough room for that anyway.

The plan for the next flight is a XC to Appleton, and then a short stop up in Green Bay, before returning. It's likely I'll do the same or similar route in my solo XC, which should be coming up pretty soon. I just have to make sure my crosswind landings are up to snuff again first.
Awesome, you’re right in the thick of it
Planning and doing your first solo XC is exciting

Last edited:
01/16/2020. C172. N3477E. C29 > local. Short field, soft field T+L. 6 T/O, 6 LDG. 01.0 Single-Engine Land.

Today's lesson focused on short field and soft field takeoffs and landings. Weather today saw low ceilings, with forecast showing BKN014 and OVC017, wind at a slightly variable 330 at 7-9 kts crosswind, and some possibility of light snow and icing from a small cell passing through the west practice area at about the time of my lesson. The low ceilings prevented us from doing a VFR XC, so we just stuck to pattern work for an hour. I'm definitely improving my landings, and it's not just luck. I managed the crosswind without issues, and out of seven landings, all of them were safe, but the first one was a bit harder than I would have liked because I started to flare a bit too late. With short field landings, Bram wanted me to land on the numbers, and I managed to do it every time. Some part of me thinks that trying to land at the very start of the runway isn't necessarily a great idea when I've got 4000 ft to work with, and if the engine quits on short final, I might not make the runway. Or I might - ground effect would certainly help, but it'd be really close. I understand what it's simulating, and it's good practice, but I don't know if it's necessarily best practice in standard operation. I like to come in a bit higher than my instructor for that reason.
I agree, generally it seems like the best place to do short landings is in the middle of the runway
It's great that your crosswinds are solid now
You can always practice short landings with throttle at idle earlier in the pattern
h1Fef93.jpg

Last edited:
01/17/2021. C172. N3477E. C29 > local. 5 T/O, 5 LDG. 0.7 Single-Engine Land.

Discussion doesn't seem promising, maps look bad, but the METAR at Morey seems fine
KC29 171255Z AUTO 35004KT 10SM SCT013 OVC025 M02/M03 A2971 RMK AO1 T10161035

Today's lesson included a briefing on in-flight icing, about how to use good judgement to avoid it and what to do if you've got it. Apparently in the lesson after mine yesterday, Bram noticed some icing build up on the leading edges and wanted to make sure I'm watchful for it. I also got some practice giving a full weather briefing to Bram in order to prepare for the check ride. We did the briefing while we waited for the ceilings to lift. It was a short flight today, practicing more of the same landings we did yesterday. SCT014, BKN060, OVC070 or something like that. All of the landings felt good, but I keep forgetting to keep the nose up during soft field landings. I think it'll be easier to remember when I'm actually landing on a soft field.
I'm going to need to start seriously studying for the aviation written exam.
Isn't there a grass strip somewhere nearby?
Sauk city perhaps?
Morey has one in the summer.
I've landed and taken off from it multiple times before, with no issues. Again, much easier to remember when it's real.
But they also tend to it, so the grass is mowed, there aren't any rocks, and they close it in the winter when it's muddy/snowy
So even then, using the soft field techniques really aren't needed

Last edited:
02/19/2021. C172. N75706. C29 > local. 7 T/O, 7 LDG. 0.9 Single-Engine Land.

I had a flight lesson Friday evening.. I suppose that's yesterday now. Flew seven patterns after work. Did pretty well on all of them.

Last edited:
2/20/2021. C172. N75706. Patterns, hood work. 6 T/O, 6 LDG. 1.3 Single-Engine Land.

Flight lesson today was good.
More unusual attitude recovery, more time under the hood. Getting better. Review of steep turns, ground reference maneuvers.
Also practice with crosswind landings. Wind varied over the course of the lesson, but remained constant during each landing attempt. 5-10knots, pure 90 degree crosswind. Easy-peasy. Think my brain has finally figured out proper landing config crosswind correction. Landings were smooth.
My instructor described them as "ok, especially considering it's been about a month." I don't know what pipe he's smoking - those landings were fantastic
Can always get better though.
I'm glad you're gaining a lot of confidence for crosswind landings

TClw6XR.jpg

What a beaut

Last edited:
02/21/2021. C172. N4879D. C29 > local. Hood work, ground reference maneuvers. 3 T/O, 3 LDG. 1.0 Single-Engine Land.

Had another lesson today. Practiced VORs, engine failures, ground reference maneuvers, and the slowest landings I have ever done. The wind was a steady 15-20knots, perfectly aligned with the runway. So landings were very slow over the ground.
Need to plan some large XC flights.
Next step is long dual XC. Plus, need to start soloing again.
Thinking Green Bay.
That's ways north
fun
I think Appleton is the minimum distance. And if I fly to Appleton, may as well do Green Bay

Last edited:
03/05/2021. C172. N75706. C29 > local. Patterns + maneuvers. 4 T/O, 4 LDG. 1.8 Single-Engine Land.

Today's flight lesson was like an early practice of a practical exam. Preflight, full passenger brief. One normal pattern, one flapless approach/landing, one simulated engine failure approach/landing. With the simulated engine failure, I had a small argument with my instructor. He felt I turned base too soon, and would approach the runway way too high. I said that I would rather come in steep with full flaps and go long on the runway if necessary than turn base too late, come in low, and not make the runway. I think I'm right on that one, and he conceded when I executed that plan fairly well. Then headed out to the practice area. HASELL checklist for flight maneuvers. 2x 90 degree clearing turns to prep airspace for 2x 360 degree around 45 degree bank angle steep turns. These will need more practice. Requirement is to stay within 10 knots, +/- 100 ft, and within 10 degrees. I had trouble meeting all of these requirements with any consistency, either by not adding enough power or by adding too much power, and not remembering to pull the nose up hard enough. Did clean stall, landing configuration stall, takeoff stall. I need to be quicker/less sloppy in my setup and cleanup of these maneuvers. Then ground reference maneuvers. Turns around a point, S turn over a line. Both were... ok... but I found that the turns weren't of constant radius, which is sort of the whole point, and I had poor altitude control. The reason for this was that I wasn't giving myself enough space. In both cases, I set my radius too small and didn't fly out far enough, just making it harder than it needed to be. Climbed back to 3500, simulated an engine failure. I went to best glide, picked a field.

I need to have the emergency engine checklist better memorized so I don't forget any of the things that might be wrong with the engine. Simulated my emergency declaration. I then did my best to execute the hi-key/lo-key 1500/1000 ft cross the field, then downwind turns. I need to do some mental exercises to get better at planning these approaches in theory. That will make my in-flight reaction times safer and will set me up for a decent approach each time. I have found that in my current mindset, without a super-solid idea of how to execute the hi-key/lo-key approach, that the procedure actually gets in the way, and that a more instinctive approach still works. Still, that instinct is hindered by a lack of practice in flying the plane at idle, and I when executing the procedure today, I told my instructor that I needed to turn what would have been my base turn into my final in order to make the field. But he showed me that while maintaining best glide, we'd still not only make it, but actually end up a bit high. I definitely would have made the field with my original plan by using flaps to lose the extra altitude. The problem with that was that I'd have landed the wrong way relative to the crop-lines, which is .. pretty bad. We got pretty close to that field before going full power and picking up altitude again.(edited)

Then, flew back to Morey, entered downwind at a 45. A few planes weren't making calls so I had to keep an eye on them as I made my approach. There was also a helicopter preparing to depart the field. I turned base, then final, lining up with the runway. The helo made a call that they were lifting off, so I made a short statement indicating my position as short final runway 28, full stop landing. Helo lifted off, and my instructor asked me to do a go-around - for practice. I threw the throttle forward, carb heat in, made the call for a go-around runway 28, positive rate, then retracted my flaps and gained altitude. Repeated the pattern, then landed. Wind today was calm, so my landings were passable. I get the sense my instructor still feels they could be smoother, but I did some of my best landings ever today. There were a few items that will be on the checkride that we skipped given the length of the lesson. Had this been the checkride for real, I'd probably have failed, given the lack of precision in my maneuvers and rustiness in stall procedure setup. It does serve as a bit of a wake-up call that I really aught to study more - both for the written and the checkride.
~ ~ ~
I've got another lesson planned for tomorrow. For this one, I'll be planning my long XC from Morey to Oshkosh, and then from Oshkosh to either Appleton or Green Bay, and then from A/GB back home to Morey. That'll meet the 150NM XC requirement. I may have to do this one again solo - will have to check. But either way, I want to do it with my instructor first to make sure I am prepared and know what to expect.
On Sunday, I'm hoping to get more solo flight time in, mainly just more patterns near Morey, but I may decide to practice some of the ground reference maneuvers by myself too.
Next week, I've got a few lessons planned after work which are later in the evening. I suggested to my instructor that we brief for night-flying, and so that's the plan. I'll do a few lessons from around sunset to well past dark next week.
Then, next weekend, more solo patterns and maneuver practice. I'm already feeling pretty confident I can do my solo XC, so maybe that will come next weekend too.
I was going to say you should try to go to Green Bay for the class C experience, but you probably have that already from Madison
Yeah, I've landed at Madison. More class C experience is always good. Thought is that Green Bay is Class C, but Appleton might actually see more commercial flights right now. Bit of a toss-up. Green Bay is only 5 mins farther, roughly.
Are you planning on using flight following, or filing a flight plan, or both?
Neither is legal also, obviously
Flight following for sure.
That’s better IMO
Unsure about the official flight plan
VFR flight plans are kind of a joke, but make learning how to file might make IFR ones easier someday
Heck, I take flight following even when I mess around in the practice area west of Morey
It’s fun. That’s basically what we did flying out of Boerne
I’m reading your write up. The whole thing with simulated engine failure patterns is that there are many ways in a small plane to lose energy, but in that moment there aren’t any ways to gain it
deep breath. yeah.
There are a lot of small fields in England, and there was once a saying among glider pilots there “better to hit the far hedge slowly than the near hedge quickly”
Not always the whole story, but something is there
That's a great saying

Last edited:
03/16/2021. C172. N75706. C29 > KOSH > KATW > C29. XC. 3 T/O, 3 LDG. 2.4 Single-Engine Land.

Today's lesson went really well. As I mentioned yesterday, plan was to fly the 150NM+ XC to either Appleton or Green Bay and back. I ended up selecting Appleton for two reasons. (i) Marginally cheaper. (ii) Green Bay isn't on my VFR map. It's on my iPad map admittedly, but I like using the paper copy. Bram looked over all my flight prep, and agreed we were good to go. I had one pretty long leg between the windmills north of C29 and the VFR checkpoint Ripon. His only comment was that I compute the time enroute for a few other VFR checkpoints along the way, so I can better evaluate my progress. Weather today was ideal, with surface level winds calm, 10SM+ visibility (pretty sure it was more like 60SM vis), no clouds, nice temps. Winds aloft were single digits. Throughout the flight, I had no trouble navigating VFR and generally had better task management than on previous XC flights. One thing I found especially helpful was just to hold my pencil in my right hand the whole time or put it in my front jacket pocket. In previous XC flights, I'd try fidget around trying to put it in the little pencil slot on my knee board or would accidentally drop it and have it roll under my chair. That is far more trouble than it's worth. I made sure to consistently cross check my instruments, did a better job remembering to correct my heading wheel against the magnetic compass, and always though well ahead of the plane. I think my ATC comms could be a bit better, since I asked Bram a few times for confirmation that what I planned to say was correct. It often was, but I did suffer a few blunders. For instance, on the way back from Appleton, I told Madison Approach that I was flying at flight level 4,500 ft. Haha! Flew to Oshkosh first, full stop-taxi back landing.

It was cool seeing the Oshkosh event colored spots on the runway. Then took off, climbed to 3000', and made the short hop over to Appleton. Controller there made me think I was going to do left base for Runway 21, but then called landing clearance for 30. That came as a bit of a surprise, and I had to pull power idle and drop flaps to lose the energy in time for the runway, since that already put me on base for 30. Did a full-stop taxi back in Appleton as well, then headed straight home for C29. I did end up filing official VFR flight plans for these legs - but forgot to on the KOSH-KATW segment. Landings were excellent, with the exception of the last one back at Morey, where I didn't factor in the slight crosswind, and landed harder than I would have liked. Flight time 2.4 hrs.

Current plan for tomorrow is to do my first solo XC to Boscobel and back.
Cool! The snowy plain is pretty
I agree that pencil management is more important than it would seem
The radio stuff comes with time and confidence building. It doesn’t hurt when you’re on flight following on your solo XCs to remind them you’re a student, when you come onto a new frequency. They generally react well to that
l6dJMX6.jpg

YyYsFEw.jpg

Last edited:
03/12/2021. C172. N438ER. C29 > KUES > C29. Night XC. 4 T/O, 4 LDG.

Well, the night flight happened. It almost didn't happen. Today's been a mad-scramble, with an early start, multiple "catastrophies" at work (I'll have to work all weekend), and preparations for the flight to the flight itself. It went well though. I was alert, focused.. attentive. I got off work at 5, sped home, did all of the calculations for the full flight navlog both ways, rummaged around for a red and a white flashlight, used some electrical tape to dim the lights, packed my bags, and sped off back to the airport. Once there, I had a few moments to give my iPad a full charge, check the weather again, and review the chart supplement for Waukesha and my alternates - which were Madison and Milwaukee. When my instructor got in, I had him review my flight planning while I preflighted the aircraft. N75706 had an inoperative navigation light, which does not meet the TOMATOFLAMES for minimum equipment, so we couldn't use that plane. Thankfully, N438ER was available, so I went and preflighted that one, and found that the taxi light was inoperative, the wheels were showing some wear, the stall horn was inoperative, and we were low on fuel. Since the airport is not staffed after around 5:30 pm, and since neither of us have used the overnight fuel pump before, we couldn't use that plane. Except that it wasn't N438ER, it was N439ER... which I didn't know we had, and so had only glanced at previously. Surprisingly, the key for 438ER worked on 439ER, so I mistakenly had preflighted the wrong aircraft.

N438ER turned out to be in the hangar. So I went in, preflighted that aircraft, and found full tanks of fuel. Everything looked good, so I opened the hangar doors and pulled the aircraft out. The right wheel made a mechanical humming noise when I did this, so I went back in and reported all this to Bram. He laughed, understanding that me preflighting three aircraft is what had taken so long. My paperwork looked good, so he went and out and looked over the other aircraft as well, so he could file the appropriate documents with the airport to get those repairs made. We also examined the right wheel of the plane, and pulled it around the ramp, trying to judge where the odd sound was coming from, and if it was applying some sort of torque to the aircraft. I'm not sure what happened, but after Bram poked around at it, the sound went away. We got in, did the run-up, did a bit of taxiing to make sure the wheel was alright, and did a passenger briefing so I knew what the plan was. We'd stay at Morey first and fly patterns just so I knew I could land.

There was another aircraft there in the pattern as well, and it was well and truly night. Moonless, so we couldn't even see the shallow hills to the west of Morey when we took off. The patterns were easy to execute, and the landings were good. N438ER is a C172-SP, so it has better performance than the other aircraft I typically fly, but it's also more expensive. It also differs in that it has a fuel pump whereas the other aircraft have carburetors. The only critique I'd have for my landings is that I tend to flare a bit early, and then come in with too little energy. This wasn't really the case for any of my landings tonight, but it's something I feel I'm prone to do, and always need to watch out for. The remedy is, of course, to flare a bit later, or if you find yourself in the situation to add a bit of power right at the end or just simply go around. Once I was comfortable with the landings (we did just two), we decided to proceed with the navigation to Waukesha. Only issue was since I was flying the Sport model, all my times/fuel consumption would be wrong.

But with a very easy visual guide (Highway 94) and full tanks, we set off. My flight plan had been to fly to Cross Plains, then turn south to Verona, then head east to Blackhawk, then overfly Lake Mills, then head to Waukesha - same in reverse. But instead, I contacted Madison Approach while on the upwind for runway 28, and requested flight following to Waukesha. I was cleared to transit through the Madison airspace, so I made my normal crosswind and downwind turns but kept climbing to 5,500 ft. We flew right over downtown Madison, then just followed the highway all the way to Waukesha. Madison never switched me over to Milwaukee approach, instead asking me to just squawk VFR. So I did, waited a few NM, then called Waukesha tower direct. My call was pretty rocky. It was like "Waukesha Tower, Cessna N438ER, we're about 11 NM to the west at 5,500 ft, request full stop... and uh, request stop and re-take off.. uh.... stop and go..." I just didn't know the word for it. Controller there cleared me for the option Runway 10, which was a straight-in approach.

I was still pretty high, so I had to go full idle to descend back to glide slope. I only saw the airport about 5 NM out. My instructor entertained himself by dialing in the instrument approach so once I felt I was on-track, I could easily confirm that with the instruments. We came in, landed with plenty of room to spare. Full stop, then full power takeoff. I called Waukesha tower on the upwind to request a turn back to Madison, and was cleared for the left turn back, altitude my discretion. I climbed to 4,500 ft, then cruised back to Madison. Following the highway has got to be the easiest night VFR possible. I got cleared back across the lake on the way home, switched frequency back to Morey, and came in for a straight-in approach Runway 28. Full stop landing, no more patterns. I was game, but my instructor was tired (he's had lessons all day). Parked the plane, cleaned up my crap, quick after-flight briefing. Pretty good flight. Despite the elevated danger of nighttime flying, I actually thought it was easier, in part because there was fewer traffic, and thus the controllers were less busy so I could speak up promptly without having to wait my turn.

And I must have left my phone in the plane, so I'll go get it tomorrow morning. I was going to share some of the pictures I took during the flight, but now I can't. Not much to see anyway. Just night lights and a sea of darkness.
Good write up. Night VFR is really quite peaceful, unless you think you might fly into a mountain
It’s one thing I really miss about powered flying
Apparently the ER at the end of the call sign implies it was once an Embry Riddle plane. Probably means it's been well used.
D1DJ4bI.jpg

Last edited:
03/13/2021. C172. N75706. C29 > local. Solo approved. 1 T/O, 1 LDG. 1.1 Single-Engine Land.

Flew a solo mission to the practice area to do ground reference maneuvers on my own.

Yesterday was a busy day, since I had gotten up early to work for the majority of the day. But I had a lesson planned for 1-2pm, which wasn't long enough to do my short solo XC, but might be enough to practice a few maneuvers with Bram. Bram called me before lunch though to say that the plane was available from 12-2, so I came in a bit early. I hadn't planned for the XC, so that wasn't in the cards. The wind was a bit gustier than Friday evening when I did the night flight, coming in at around 250@10, so about 8 kts crosswind. Bram re-signed my logbook so I could fly solo, and was very confident I would do well. He seemed very impressed with how I had handled the night flight. Basic idea for this mission was for me to get more solo flying experience to help build my skills and confidence. I went out to pre-flight the plane, and Bram left for lunch, saying just to text him when I landed so he'd know I was alright. The plane looked good, but I needed to grab another drink of water, so I left the chocks under the front wheel. After finishing up inside, I came back out, climbed into the plane, set myself up, and started the engine. I slightly eased the throttle forward to reposition myself for the run-up, but right as I was doing so, it occurred to me that I wasn't sure if I had removed the wheel chock or not. I hadn't increased the throttle enough such that the plane would start moving normally, but there did seem to be some resistance there. I eased the throttle back, then really thought about the chock again. Was it there when I went inside for water...?

I went through my engine off checklist to make sure I shut down the engine properly and switched the electrical master. Hopped out, and sure enough, I'd forgotten the chocks. Felt like a bit of an idiot, but would have felt far stupider if I'd been less cautious and run them over. Put the chocks away, got back in, situated myself, and restarted the checklist. Ease throttle forward, push mixture to rich, carb heat on, window open, shout clear, turn the switch, ... and nothing. Not even a sputter. So I turned the switch back, looked over my controls, wondering if I had forgotten anything. No. Tried the key again, slight sputter, then nothing. Figured I'd try it one more time, but was worried I might be flooding the engine with gas. This time, I didn't push the throttle forward quite so much, and it worked. Then, followed checklist, made sure to check all of my instruments, get the weather, etc, and pulled around to face into the wind to do the run-up. There were a few people watching me from the fence at the south side of the ramp, so I made sure they weren't behind me and waved.

Completed the run-up, then taxied for Runway 28. Checked everything one last time, then went full throttle, made my crosswind corrections, and glanced at my oil temp/pressure, ammeter, and airspeed. I missed my 55 kt queue to pull up on the yoke, and the plane took off by itself at 60 kts without me having to coax it up. It kind of took me by surprise, but it was fine. Off the ground, I made my upwind call, corrected my course to 300 for noise mitigation as is standard, and departed to the west for the practice area. There was one moment just as I was leaving the pattern that I wasn't sure what I would do, when another plane, a few miles in front of me, announced it would enter the crosswind. We were both at pattern altitude, and there was this moment where I wasn't sure if I needed to get out of the way, and how I would do that. My plan would have been to turn north and keep climbing, but after a few seconds, I realized they would pass in front of me at a safe distance. It was closer than I liked, but not unsafe. Once they were no factor, I switched frequencies and made my call to Madison Approach.

Then I headed out for the first real time on my own. I started with ground reference maneuvers, doing turns around a point, then S turns, then flying in lines over roads. Then I climbed to 3500, and psychologically prepared myself for steep turns. I have had a lot of difficulty maintaining altitude and speed with steep turns, and it takes a lot of focus. I've also found myself getting tunnel vision in the past, by only focusing on what I need for the turn at the neglect of everything else, like traffic awareness, comms, and even navigation. I know I have the skills to recover in the event I screwed up, knew I was going to perform them at a safe altitude, and knew that there wasn't other traffic in the area. So I set myself up aligned with the ski area as a good geographic heading, then initiated my turn. I completed the turn, but it wasn't consistent. There were moments when the nose tipped too far down, and I had to pull really hard on the stick to stop descending. I also had to remember to take out some power as I returned to straight and level flight.

It was far from perfect, but it was still important, since it was the first time I'd done this by myself. I did it again in the same direction, and it was only a little better. I then set up again, and did one the other way. Eh. After returning to level flight, I noticed another aircraft on my GPS, 1800' below me. I hadn't seen them before, but I wanted to give them space. It was almost certainly another student from Morey (and I would find later that it was another of Bram's students, also soloing). I decided to fly over the river for a bit, and just take some time to look around for a change. While I was doing so, I saw the other aircraft get really low. It's hard to judge the altitude of another plane below you, but it looked to me like it was clipping the tops of the trees. I kept watching as it crossed the river, turned left, and flew very low over a field. On the one hand, I knew it was probably a student practicing an engine-out emergency, but I knew it might also be a real engine-out emergency. I considered what I might say to ATC.

Something like "Madison Approach, Cessna 75706, I have something to report.... " And if that didn't work (ATC was extremely busy), then maybe declaring an emergency to get their attention only to later clarify that it wasn't me, but that other guy, and then relay their position, and maybe circle overhead while help arrived. Real question: what do you do if you witness something like that? In any event, I watched the plane get really close to the field on the other side of the river. From my distance, it looked like it might actually be on the ground, and I watched as it went over a road, and right as I thought it might plow into some trees, it flew over those trees, still appearing at the same altitude. It then flew back across the river, back towards one of the fields to do some more maneuvers, still without seeming to climb from my view. But the GPS showed their altitude going up, so I figured I was just really bad at judging that distance. I took a few pictures of the river, for fun. I was going to go back to steep turns, and figured I did have a bit more time, but decided against it, figuring I needed to get back to work anyway. I flew south, then turned back towards Morey. As I flew past Mazomanie, I started to descend back down to 2300 to get under Madison's wedding cake. "Madison Approach, Cessna 75706, Request frequency change to Morey Field." Madison approach was still very busy, and either didn't hear my request, or needed to deal with other traffic first. I knew that since I was on their frequency, I could enter their airspace.

But real question: Can I transfer frequencies without their permission, and just land? I mean, definitely in an emergency, but this was far from that. I had tons of fuel, and plenty of time. So I decided to circle in place, and made another two calls without response. I started to wonder if my radio might be broken, or - more likely - that I might have configured something incorrectly. After a few more minutes of circling, Madison Approach came back to ask on frequency if there were any other unanswered requests. Without skipping a beat, I immediately made my request again, and was approved to squawk VFR and have radio services terminated. I made my calls that I was approaching Morey, indicating my intention to enter downwind runway 28 at a 45. I did so, then flew a normal pattern, coming in a little bit high. I dropped flaps, put in the appropriate wind correction, pulled up on the stick to flare, and found myself floating down the runway. The plane was definitely losing energy , but I was burning up runway. The plane slowed, but I pulled back a little too hard, leading to a sort of single-hump porpoise. I readjusted, added the slightest bit of power, and touched down softly. I gently applied brakes, then exited the runway, taxied to the ramp, shut down the engine, tied down the plane, and felt pretty accomplished.

Once I was back at the airport, waiting in line to pay for my flight, I met that other pilot. His name is Zach, and he's another of Bram's students. He's done his long solo XCs, so has a bit more experience than I do. It was a fun conversation, and he mentioned having noticed me out there as well, and having wanted to stay out of my way. And that yes, it was just a practice emergency engine-out, and that the closest he got to the ground was actually something like 500 ft.

Oh, and I forget to mention, but the whole time I was doing my practice, it was quite turbulent. Not unreasonably turbulent. Moderate.
Good write up, thanks.
I like the squiggly river
I thought you might. I think that's Blue Mounds Creek
you should entice Zach into playing board games
Might be possible.
VX16W5T.jpg

73DB1vZ.jpg

LawdUlS.jpg

Last edited:
04/04/2021. C172. N75706. C29 > JVL > MSN > C29. 3 T/O, 3 LDG. 1.3 Single-Engine Land.
04/04/2021. C172. N4879D. C29 > MSN > C29. Night flight. 6 T/O, 6 LDG. 1.2 Single-Engine Land.

Pfffghhheww. Man, am I feeling pooped. 2.5 hrs in the air total, but if you count briefing time, preflights, and another half hour of just hanging out with a few other instructors, the whole things comes to about 4.5 hrs today. I knew this was coming, so didn't do much today, instead conserving my energy for the lesson tonight. The plan was to do a XC flight to Janesville, then do a separate night flight to get the rest of my landings in and complete that requirement.

Right, now for the story. The last time I flew was 3/13, so I was feeling a bit rusty after three weeks of no lessons. The previous lessons had all been cancelled due to high winds, and I thought today's would be no different. I was feeling kind of bummed out, because I felt I had wasted a whole day for nothing, and even remarked to another guy watching the field that I doubted anyone would be flying today. Wind was pure crosswind, 17 gusting 24. Crazy. Who would fly in that weather? But I walked in, gave a weather briefing to my instructor, and discussed today's plan. And he convinced me it actually wasn't so bad. Morey has a grass runway perpendicular to the paved one, so a strong crosswind would actually just be a strong headwind there. Plus, it was just a XC, and one of the runways at Janesville was also aligned well with the wind. We figured the wind would calm down later into the evening too, thus making the night flight also a possibility. This XC flight ended up being so bad. I made so, so many errors, that it ended up just being embarrassing. Most of it was small stuff, but one error was so fucking big.. and I'm glad Bram caught on before I made it worse. I'll number the errors.

So here goes. During preflight, I noticed our rear nav light was out, so we'd have to use a different plane for the night flight. Everything else looked fine. I took controls, did the runup, and started to taxi over to taxiway Alpha. I looked both ways, and saw a plane exiting the runway to taxi back. I thought he would taxi back to the ramp - and he did - but I didn't know that. (1) I should have waited until he made his intentions clear before entering the taxiway and blocking his route back to the runway. I then back-taxied on the grass runway, but couldn't see a Beechcraft (the UPS plane) that was landing runway 28, so I waited until it landed. Then, I went full throttle and executed a decent soft field takeoff. I did start turning a bit too early though. Bram says it's wise to gain at least 400, but preferably 700 ft after takeoff before turning crosswind, and I started turning at around 300. (2) This would come up again. I then made a terrible radio call to other traffic at the field. I didn't really know what to say, because what I was doing was really stupid. (3) I had turned right after taking off from runway 19, climbing into pattern altitude in order to depart to the west. The problem with that is that it would take me head-on with any traffic in the downwind for runway 28. There weren't any other planes in the pattern, but there were a few planes approaching from the north. The call went something like "Morey Traffic, Cessna 75706, ... we're ... departing to the west, Morey." And there's so much wrong with that call. It doesn't tell anyone where we are. Instead, I should have said 'right crosswind runway 19' or something, because at least that might mean something.

I then switched frequency to Madison and called them up. I dialed in the squawk, then realized I was already at Cross Plains. I'd done enough preflight planning to know that was the point at which I had to turn to Verona, and since I knew where that was, I made it work. This is where being a bit rusty combined with the multitasking caught up with me. Madison was really busy, so I was listening "out of the corner of my ear?" (is that a phrase?) to hear if my callsign came up. I was also climbing to 5500 ft and trying to follow the right heading. (4) I missed a call from Madison, and Bram had to respond. (5) Climbing to 5500 was not done at a steady 500ft/min, say, and was instead kind of sporadic. (6) I had completely forgotten to pay attention to the flight time, and was thankful that the flight timer had started automatically when the front wheel lifted off the ground. By the time I got to Verona, I backtracked and figured out that I was about where I thought I would be. The rest of the legs were a bit better, and I paid more attention to the nav log to make sure I was thinking ahead of the plane. The winds aloft were also quite a bit different than predicted. That's not really my fault, but as soon as I started paying more attention to my nav log, I started to get more and more off-course, so I mentioned it, and went back to flying to where I knew Janesville would be. I started descending into Janesville once I passed Evansville. (What weird town names..) I could have picked 3500 as my cruise altitude, but went with 5500 because it'd give me more room in the case of an engine-out.

Approaching Janesville, I called up Tower, and requested a Stop-and-go. I again forgot the term for this, and described it as 'request land and take off again.' The guy thankfully knew what I meant. He asked me to declare when I was two miles northwest of runway 22. Janesville was coming up fast, and I didn't yet see the airport. I looked at my VFR map, then back out at the cities below. I saw Janesville and Beloit; I knew where the airport had to be, but for the life of me I couldn't see it. Bram was like "so what are you looking for?" "The runway, obviously!" "No, but like, what clues are you using to find it?" "Sure, there's Janesville, there's Beloit, there's the highway, there's the river." "And on which side of the river is the airport?" "The other side. Way over there... somewhere..." "Yes. What other tools do you have to see where the airport might be?" "The plane has GPS? I could ask it to plot a course direct to Janesville..." "Alright, then do that." I dialed it in. While I was doing so, Bram said "It's actually over there." He pointed in a completely different direction. "See how the river bends back?" "Ahhh...." I scanned the horizon, and immediately saw the airport in the distance. Then I looked down, not at the VFR map, but at the iPad, and Bram mentioned that while using the VFR map is great, that I should use all the tools in the cockpit to my disposal.

Once I saw the airport, I turned towards it. The GPS also told me exactly how far from the airport I was, which was nice in order to comply with Tower's instructions. I called tower at 2NM northwest, and got clearance to land + the option for right base runway 22. I explained my plan to Bram - to first fly towards the hangars, then turn into a standard right base for the runway. He nodded, "however you want to fly it, that's up to you." I wasn't sure what he meant, but figured he was being literal. So I did just that, and lined up with the runway. I pulled flaps to 20 degrees, and the approach felt stable. Everything felt right as we came very short final. Bram yelped "Go Around!" and pointed at the runway itself. "That's 18!"(7) I threw power to full, pulled up on the nose, and retracted flaps. Tower made a comment "Looks like you lined up for runway 18..." "Yes, we're going around 4879D, sorry for that..." Bram said, listing some excuse about heading wheel or something. I wasn't paying much attention to that call. I was paying full attention to how much of a mega fuck up that was, and thanked Bram for saving that situation. I wondered if he had let me get that far on purpose, and maybe that's what he had meant by his "however you want to fly it" comment. I asked him about that later though, and he said he really had only caught the error that late. I was given instructions by Tower to turn left and cleared again for the option runway 22. This time, I was sure dial in my heading bug for the correct runway direction, and paid extra attention to make sure I lined up on the right one.
There weren't any other aircraft in the area. Janesville is normally pretty busy, but since the pandemic hit, there wasn't anyone. But yeah, landing on the wrong runway is incredibly dangerous, and amounts to the kind of fuck up where you'll be in deep shit with the FAA.

The landing at Janesville was rocky. I came in a tad high, but there was a lot more crosswind than runway 18 had had. The plane didn't feel stable, and I felt it was low on energy as I made a steep approach. I mentioned that I wasn't feeling confident about the approach, and Bram coached me a bit through how to pull of the landing. We came to a full stop on the runway, then pulled up the flaps, pushed in the carburetor heat - and realized I had forgotten to take it out when I came in to land (8). Then I adjusted the trim and went full throttle into the takeoff. I requested departure back to Madison, and was cleared to proceed on course. I started my right turn back to Madison too low again, and Bram reprimanded me. I said something about how this way I was better lined up with a field, then admitted I really hadn't thought about it. Bram gave me the hood, and while I was putting it on, he took the flight controls from me and put the plane into an unusual attitude, banked about 20 degrees to the left and 25 degrees up. Once I got the hood on, he handed back controls, and I corrected appropriately, then climbed back to 4500 ft to return to Morey. I realized that my return nav log was incorrect, because I had planned for a 5500 ft return flight. (9). That was fine though because I realized my mistake, and it meant I was even more conservative with my fuel. Bram asked me to redirect to KMSN and to do so by dialing in the VOR. I really didn't know how to do that. "Really? You've done it before..." (10) "Well maybe, but I truly forget how." "Ok, so what's the frequency?" I didn't know where to look. I checked the VFR map and didn't see it. I checked the iPad airport diagram for KMSN (It typically has important frequencies listed there). "It's on the VFR map - see that blue box?" "Ok, 108.6." "Alright, so you put that in here, then push Ident, then hit Nav2,..." "You're going to have to walk me through this again later when we debrief..." "Ok, so which radial are we on?" "Um..." Bram showed me how to find it. In fairness, it's been literal months since the last time I used a VOR. Nevertheless, I should also really know it at this point. Then I got the weather. I had to listen to it three times. The first time, I lost my pencil, then on the subsequent ones, I got so distracted my heading and altitude varied a LOT. I ended up about 700 ft below where I wanted to be. (11). This was because I had misread the altitude indicator (12) and thought I was actually 300 ft high.

I called Madison approach, then got transitioned over to Tower. I was cleared for the option left base runway 21. I made damn sure I lined up with the right runway, this time setting the heading bug to properly indicate it. I came in high, and ended up pulling 40 degrees flaps in order to land in the right place. I then made a full stop, then reset and took off, requesting departure to Morey. I switched frequencies, got weather, made the call to Morey traffic, and discussed my plan with Bram. I figured I'd fly around the field and enter left downwind runway 28 at a 45 from the southwest. He asked me why I wouldn't just overfly Morey at midfield, say at 2100 ft, then descend to pattern altitude and enter left downwind. That was a better idea, so I did that. Or I was, but then saw another plane taking off runway 10 - not making any calls - and changed course to land behind him. Bram explained that if other people were in the pattern, he'd do the same as what I had initially suggested, but that because there weren't anyone, it was fine to do this. I came in, made a decent landing, and taxied back to the ramp. Once inside, I got some water, got a coat out of the car, and debriefed with Bram. I basically went through every element of the flight as I just did with you guys, and explained what I had been thinking, where I thought I messed up, and what I had learned from it. Bram nodded, saying it was good that I already knew what had happened, because he didn't have anything to add. Bram also mentioned that he is being recalled to fly full time by Air Wisconsin (which operates United flights). This is something he had mentioned when I first started taking lessons with him, and again basically every lesson in the last two months. But he explained that this time it was real, and that this night flight would likely be the last lesson I would have with him before I get my license. Thankfully, he already introduced me to another instructor, Sara, such that my transition between instructors will be relatively seamless. Further, he acknowledged that I really am pretty close. With the night flight we had planned, I would have all my night flying hours out of the way, and would only need to do my solo XCs and maneuver practice. Oh, and the written exam, and then done. He said given the issues with the weather, with studying after work, etc, that if I get my written done by the end of April, I may well be ready to take the checkride by mid or late May. I think it'll be June, and he said that would be more likely, but that he was confident I'm on the right track. Despite all the errors I made on the XC today, he signed my solo XC endorsement but requested I fly at least one more XC first with Sara given how rusty I was today.

I used the restroom and pre-flighted the 4879D, which had a working nav light, thankfully. It didn't have a working taxi light, but it would be fine because the landing light was ok. We waited for the wind to settle a bit more and for the sun to set. The sunset was magnificent, a brilliant magenta/orange and some billowing cumulus clouds on the horizon. We set up in the plane, and did a quick passenger brief on the plan. We'd fly one pattern at Morey, then do four at Madison, then do one more back at Morey. That would cover the six night landings left that I needed, and might just work out to 1.2 hrs if we stretched it. I taxied to runway 28, then flew one standard pattern, feeling a lot less rusty. Then I took off again, departing towards Madison on the downwind for runway 28. I switched frequencies, called Madison, and was given an instruction I didn't quite hear. Bram waved me to the left, and I asked him for clarification for what was said as I banked shallowly to the left. Bram asked the controller to clarify the heading, and I realized why Bram had waved me to the left. (13). The approach controller had us fly to the north first, then follow another plane in to land runway 14. We requested and were cleared for a stop and go, so I once again made damn sure I had the right runway.

Controller had us switch to Tower. We were a long way out, and I had trouble finding the runway. After a minute, I couldn't even see the plane we were supposedly following. But after about thirty seconds of scanning, I saw the runway again, and lined up for it. I saw four reds on the PAPI lights, and was about to explain my plan to Bram when he said "Just keep flying at altitude. We'll intersect the glide path in just a minute, then at 1 white 3 red, we'll reduce power and start descending in." .. which is exactly what my plan had been. But once I got to that spot, I figured "We're still a long way out.. let's start descending at two white lights." It felt better then. I came in, made a smooth landing, came to a stop, then took off again. Tower requested we make a short approach left base runway 21. I was going to climb back to 700 ft before making my turn per earlier instruction, but Bram had me turn earlier. "See, the runway's right there.." It was. We were on the ground again within a minute. I actually think it was closer to 30 seconds. Full stop, reset, then took off again. This time tower requested I extend my downwind for runway 21, so I did. I watched a West Jet come in to land on runway 18. Tower had us fly a very long downwind. So long, that when I turned back around, I didn't know where the runway was. Took us a minute to find it. Then landed, and took off again. Tower didn't say anything, and Bram explained that meant left pattern for 21 again, but that we'd still need clearance to land again. So I turned, flew a standard pattern, got clearance, and landed. Then took off, requesting departure to Morey. Frequency change approved. I didn't watch my altitude closely enough. Bram poked my altitude indicator. It was at 2400 ft. (14)
I also remember messing up altitudes way too often when I was at this stage
I pitched down, immediately realizing that we were violating the airspace. Bram said that technically, since we were at that altitude when they transferred the frequency, we were allowed to stay there, but that ideally, we should still get under the shelf. I got the weather from Morey, switched frequency, and made a call that I'd overfly the field and enter left downwind runway 28. I keyed my mic for the runway lights. Bram said that since there was no one else around, we could really just do a straight in approach for 28. So I made another call with the correction, then lined up. I came in way too high. I pulled flaps to 40, then went to idle (should have done that way earlier). Looking at the landing, I knew it would work. It was stable, and I knew I'd be able to do the flare and have plenty of runway to bleed off the extra speed. I was on short final, with a fairly steep - but still calculated and acceptable - descent, when Bram called for a go-around. I pushed throttle to full, retracted flaps to 20, pulled the nose up, then retracted flaps all the way. I made sure to give a call that we were going around, and remembered to turn to 300 for the noise abatement measure. I made the call for upwind, then asked why he had called for a go-around, explaining that I had it all figured out, and that the landing would have worked. Bram agreed, but said he had planned this go around from the beginning, because (a) it's good to practice them, (b) he wanted to practice at least one at night, and (c) that it would give us just exactly enough time - 1.2 hrs. I flew the pattern, then landed and taxied back to the ramp. The Hobbs meter flipped as I was pulling up to the parking space. I shut off the engine, got out, and we had a quick debrief.

I thanked him for being a great instructor, and said I'd invite him to a steakhouse when I got my license (something that's been a running joke/promise the entire time I've been flying with him). Sara happened to be there, having herself just flown at night. I scheduled two lessons for next weekend with her. My thought is to make sure I get those lessons in now rather than waiting a few weeks to (a) make sure I've established the relationship, and (b) so that I don't get so rusty again. I figure the first flight can be a review of all the maneuvers (more practice for the checkride, and maybe I'll learn some new tips from a different instructor), and the second flight can be the XC flight I promised Bram I'd do with her when he signed my solo XC endorsement.

Sara is of the opinion that I should schedule my written exam so that I stop putting off the studying. I happen to agree. This is one of those 'grass is always greener' moments, when, while I hated exam deadlines in school, they also really forced me to sit down and study. I have put some time in, but nowhere near enough. And if I schedule it for, say, the first week of May, I can kick my ass into gear and give myself enough time to study while also scaring myself into action. Just thinking about that makes me groan a bit from the idea of doing the work, but I also know that this will work better for me.

I didn't take any pictures from the flights, but Bram did, and I asked him to send them to me.
An eventful evening
Oh, I should also mention that during the first take-off the night flight, I saw a flash of lightning on the horizon. Bram checked the weather, and saw a pretty big cell forming in Iowa. We figured we'd have enough time to get the landings in at Morey and Madison, but decided to watch it carefully. When we tied down the plane, it hadn't even made it to Boscobel, so we still had quite some margin.
I had forgotten you were flying but I was tracking those as well
They were all moving South east anyways
While we were flying the extended downwind to make room for the WestJet, the pilot of the airliner asked what all the Christmas-y lights were for. Tower explained there was some sort of display on for first-responders. Bram caught a picture of them.
I'm glad Bram is getting called back to a more full time job for his sake.
Yeah, I'm really happy for him.

An eventful evening indeed.
I'm now at about 45 hrs.
Major thought on the brief there: You're right at a limit of task saturation where you don't quite have the bandwidth to think about every single thing you need to for the time it needs for you to make a full measure decision about it. The solution for that comes down to getting some of the more initutive tasks automated away by experience. For the important stuff (like airport navigation) I think its best to make a habit of taking a breath and thinking about it fully at the expense of a few other things for a good measure of time, rather than a snap type choice.
There were a number of reasons for my botched approach at Janesville. The biggest one is that I didn't have a good enough mental picture in my head of what the airport diagram looked like. Instead of remembering that there are three runways, I thought it looked a bit like KATW, where there are two major runways. And worst of all, I didn't check. I just assumed the runway I saw was the one I was supposed to land on, and didn't really think that the heading wasn't even close to correct. I just knew it was vaguely south, and knew I was going vaguely south. So yeah, good suggestion. Make sure you take the time to get the important things right.
You trust your sense of direction as do I
But yeah I agree, check lol
At night for sure
The Janesville landing was not at night. It was in evening daylight, and the numbers 18 lept off the pavement at me when Bram pointed it out.
Haha that must have been such a moment. Also it sounds like some of the mistakes after that were classic flustered state symptoms
It was kind of an epiphany for me when I realized that everything on the sectional is there for a reason, namely to help you navigate from the air
So I’d suggest on your next one when you’re in cruise you practice cross referencing different features as you pass them, even more than is necessary to know where you are
That's a good idea.
Navigating around on the relatively featureless plane is tougher. I remember almost getting lost on my first solo XC because it felt like everything looked the same
In California there was always a mountain range or ocean or something
You get used to it. There are rivers, radio towers, cities, and airports.
Oh, and lakes. Can't forget those.
The sectional charts are great. I've just found they can be incredibly unwieldy when you're trying to refold it when you fly past the edge of your map.
One line from my instructor that springs to mind is that when navigating by paper you should always be able to point to at least three different features which give you information about your position
Bring two folded differently
That doesn't actually sound like such a bad idea...
More stuff to juggle, but could be helpful if you plan it out
Yeah, I considered that. Put the other one in the seat back pocket, maybe.

FZb3spX.jpg

81hoDAk.jpg

ezWx5nR.jpg

Last edited:
04/18/2021. C172. N75706. C29 > KUES > C29. XC. New instructor. 2 T/O, 2 LDG. 1.9 Single-Engine Land.

Write-up still needs to be written.

Last edited:
04/23/2021. C172. N4879D. C29 > MSN > C29. Crosswind patterns. 1x TNG @ Madison. 6 T/O, 6 LDG. 1.2 Single-Engine Land.

Write-up still needs to be written.

Last edited:
Back