Cretox

Somehow, Palpatine has returned
TNP Nation
Cretox State
Discord
Cretox#0125
No cute name this time. :P

I bring the following legislative proposal before the Regional Assembly:
Article 5 Clause 3 of the Constitution of The North Pacific shall be amended as follows:
3. Nominations remain in effect until voted on by the Regional Assembly, or until revoked by majority vote of the Security Council.

3. Nominations remain in effect until voted on by the Regional Assembly, or until revoked by majority vote of the Security Council.

3. Nominations remain in effect until revoked by majority vote of the Security Council.

Article 5 Clause 3 of the Constitution of The North Pacific shall be amended as follows:
3. Nominations remain in effect until their respective applicants are confirmed to the Security Council by the Regional Assembly, or until revoked by majority vote of the Security Council.

So that we're all on the same page: When a nation applies to join the Security Council, the SC may nominate that nation for a seat on the SC by simple majority vote following a discussion period. This turns what may otherwise be a 2/3rds majority Regional Assembly appointment vote into a simple majority RA confirmation vote, in addition to demonstrating the SC's stance on a prospective new member.

Under the current Article 5 Clause 3 of the Constitution, Security Council nominations are indefinite. What this means is that a nation can be nominated, join the SC, leave, and have all future applications bypass SC discussion/voting and go straight to the RA for confirmation. As per this recently passed vote in Council Chambers, there are currently no active standing nominations. Standing nominations must be manually revoked by SC vote.

The purpose of this clause of the Constitution is to allow for trusted former members of the SC to quickly rejoin the SC, especially in times when the SC is short on members. However, the clause fails to accomplish that goal in any practical sense, and only serves to render what should be a controlled and measured process unnecessarily chaotic. The SC's nomination process is not the primary bottleneck in terms of time for an applicant to join the SC: the RA is. The SC can afford a few days to discuss any applicant, especially since the circumstances of a second or third application can and usually are different from a first one. The SC is an indefinite position, after all. This clause also does nothing to help the region deal with crisis situations, since the SC procedure already has a process for quickly granting nonmembers access to the SC chambers. Shaving off a small part of the overall time spent from application to confirmation does little in crisis situations, and is unnecessary. All that this clause does is create unnecessary work and introduce unnecessary variables to an admission process that doesn't need them.

This amendment would change the nature of standing nominations such that they are only valid until an applicant is confirmed by the RA, or until the SC manually revokes them in situations where the RA has not confirmed a nominated applicant at that time.

This bill was an offshoot of the SC's discussion of revoking the current standing nominations, and was discussed alongside that other motion.

Last edited:
I think this amendment is pretty common sense. The current process strikes me as unnecessarily cumbersome for the Security Council and forces the body to jump through hoops in order to exert control over the applications of potential members.

Security Council nominations cannot last for years. This simple yet effective amendment will fix the current law and will reduce the SC workload. Full support.

Last edited:
My initial thought is that I'm not sure I'm in favour of anything that reduces the amount of work the SC is doing. Several of them already do so little.

My initial thought is that I'm not sure I'm in favour of anything that reduces the amount of work the SC is doing. Several of them already do so little.
If this bill passes, the SC will have to discuss and vote on every applicant regardless of whether they were on the SC previously. That's more work than having a revocation vote every few years.

I usually support legislation of this color, but I believe this act is simply too weak to pass muster in its current form. Needs improvements in its writing.

What specifically do you suggest?
I like the legislative intent. It serves a legitimate purpose AND it clears up a very important structural function for our confirmation process. I like your writing Cretox, I always have, I just think this one needs a bit of polishing. I'm not the writer you are, but it's just my general feeling.

I like your writing Cretox, I always have, I just think this one needs a bit of polishing.
I understand the sentiment. I was just wondering if you have any specific wording suggestions, or if any specific part of the bill troubles you.

Considering that this amendment is the result of an internal discussion within the Security Council, I would like to hear the opinions of the other SCers.

Considering that this amendment is the result of an internal discussion within the Security Council, I would like to hear the opinions of the other SCers.
I entirely agree with Cretox on this. I think the bill is short and simple because that's all it needs to be. I see this as basic, common-sense legislation.

So, if the applicant is nominated, but does not pass the RA vote, then they would stay nominated. We'd still have to keep track of and maintain a list of standing nominations. I thought the point of this was to avoid that. Could we make it so that applicants only remain nominated until they've had a vote?

IIRC standing nominations were put into place when the SC was much smaller, and the citizenship process was not as efficient. There were instance where an SC member was called away and upon returning, had to wait for citizenship, SC discussion, SC vote, RA discussion, and RA vote. It could take a while. Having standing nominations in place eliminated 2 of those steps.

In the current climate, we are fortunate in having more members and significantly more engagement from the membership. I hold the minority opinion that standing nominations are a nice thing to have around, but as long as we continue to have enough SCers and a stable delegacy, we really do not need them.

So, if the applicant is nominated, but does not pass the RA vote, then they would stay nominated. We'd still have to keep track of and maintain a list of standing nominations. I thought the point of this was to avoid that. Could we make it so that applicants only remain nominated until they've had a vote?
How's it now?

Back