A Rose Among Wolves(Closed)

North Timistania

RolePlay Moderator
-
Chapter One: Proposal

Volgis Highlands, Central Essalanea

"Beware the decadent people to our south, they who dress in silks and drink strong wine and whose words are always honeyed and inviting, but neath that guise of friendship hides a knife waiting to bury itself in the back of the unsuspecting, beware Aydini's bearing gifts my kin for that which they cannot destroy they will seek to corrupt and control"

-From the Stone of Odoacer

Doom had come to the highlands, clan Volgis’s attempt on the king's life had failed and now the time for violent retribution had come. The rite of annihilation was an ancient and terrible punishment reserved only for those clans that had heinously violated the laws of Essalan and now for their treachery, the Volgis would suffer this fate. Tanks rolled across the barren plains their tracks kicking up great clouds of dust, outriders raced past on combat bikes as they hunted for any would-be rebels. The full force of the national army had been brought down upon the Volgis, all the horrors of modern war unleashed.

Gaiseric watched from upon high as his forces advanced, the cliff he stood on offering a commanding view of the lands below. The battle, if it could even be called so, was largely over now having been a one-sided affair from start to finish. What little resistance the Volgis had offered had been swept aside with almost contemptible ease, leaderless and already demoralized the clan had been unable to offer more than token defiance.

It wasn’t the punitive campaign that had brought Gaiseric south however, he had come to the highlands with a very different agenda in mind. The heavy footfalls of his summoned guest indicated that the time to attend to that agenda was now. Helbrandt Karg strode up the rock-strewn path toward Gaiseric with a wary tread, he had been tasked with punishing the Volgis and he had carried out his task with ruthless efficiency.

“You pick a strange time to summon me Gaiseric!” Helbrandt called out as he approached

He was a giant of a man, well over six feet tall and sporting an unruly red beard that lent him a feral air. Helbrandt was dressed in green battle fatigues and judging by the muck and blood clinging to them he had been in the thick of the fighting. The Karg chieftain had been tasked with leading the campaign against the Volgis and he had not disappointed.

“Clan Volgis is no more, you have done well, but it is not their fate I came to discuss, not entirely anyway” Gaiseric replied cryptically

Helbrandt frowned, Gaiseric had a way of running rings around a person when he wanted something. The Volkmann hadn't made himself Essalanea’s first king because he was lucky, Gaiseric knew how to manipulate and motivate in equal measure. Helbrandt suspected that whatever the king wanted he wasn’t going to like it.

“Speak plainly Gaiseric! What is it you want?” Helbrandt snapped

“to discuss an arrangement that would benefit both of us” Gaiseric replied calmly

“You are spending too much time around unhorsed Volkmann!” Helbrandt said with a disgusted look

“Perhaps I am” Gaiseric replied with a grin “But that doesn’t mean this offer won't benefit us both” he continued in a conversational tone

“Speak then! What is this arrangement?” Helbrandt growled impatiently

“The Sultan of Aydin has sent envoys with an offer of marriage to one of his sisters, I would like you to accept,” Gaiseric said in a matter-fact voice

Aydin and Essalanea had a long and complicated history, perhaps not as volatile as the messianists to the north but not without strife and distrust either. Throughout history they had fought, traded with and on occasion hired the clans to fight their battles for them, but that shared history didn’t make them friends. For their part, the Essalaneans despised the flowery speech and love of money that seemed to define Aydin and the constant attempts by Aydin to worm their way into the clans' affairs and graces did little to endear the scions of Essalan to their Neighbours.

Aydin had their own reservations; the clans were infamous for being unruly and aggressive Neighbours and the continued raids on the Aydin border by smaller clans were a constant source of diplomatic spats. However, now the sultanate seemed to be trying to offer an olive branch and the clans were deeply suspicious. All this made Gaiserics request seem insane or at very least utterly out of character with the mentality the clans had long adopted with regards to the south.

“Those snakes to the south come to the steppe with their plots and deceptions and you want to humour them by whoring me out to some pampered unhorsed noble!!!” Helbrandt yelled his anger echoing across the highlands

“Aydin is rising again, taking a more active role in world affairs once more, I want to keep a close eye upon them and having one of my most trusted chieftains as the sultan's brother would aid me greatly in this, think of it as shielding the steppe from southern treachery” Gaiseric replied unphased

That was true enough, the new sultan might have been a pampered snob but his nation was emerging from obscurity all the same. Membership in the luscova pact and increased participation in politics and business were all signs that Aydin was on the rise once more. Essalanea needed to have the means to deal with the sultanate on equal terms, else risk being co-opted by the cynical realpolitik of an unhorsed nation.

“have you lost your mind!? My clan has shrunk in both prestige and size since the end of the war and now the man who promised to spare us wants to double our shame by marrying me off to an Aydini!” Helbrandt said in an incensed voice

“I wasn’t finished Helbrandt, the marriage is an inconvenience yes.... but what I offer in return will ensure your clan's survival” Gaiseric replied his tone like a silken hook

“what are you talking about?” Helbrandt asked exasperated

“The Volgis are no more, but their lands and bondsmen are still very much a matter to be dealt with, as king I have the right to grant their number and territory to any clan I see fit by the rite of amalgamation, accept my proposal and I the Volgis lands and people will join your own, clan Karg will be larger and stronger than ever before,” Gaiseric said motioning to the vast land in front of them

The Volgis had been a powerful clan before their fall, their lands were large and fertile and their people numerous, now all that was up for grabs. Helbrandt could still refuse, but he knew he couldn’t, the implication was there, accept and his clan would recoup all it had lost, refuse and they would continue to stagnate. If marrying some spoilt unhorsed princess would give his clan a chance to rise from its decline, Helbrandt had no choice but to acquiesce.

“And this woman's name?” Helbrandt asked

“Emel” Gaiseric said

Helbrandt sighed, he knew he had been ensnared in yet another of Gaiseric's plots.

Last edited:
The Imperial Palace
Antalya, The Capital district, Aydin
April 9th, 2021
12:06 PM

Osman sat at the head of the council table, alongside him sat Foreign Minister Polat and Grand Vizier Riffat all of them stared at the young Emel from across the table. She was visibly uncomfortable, unsure of the news they had for her.

"Did something happen?" She said her voice you could tell was filled with nervousness and the news they had for her was not going to help with it.

"A letter arrived from the Essaleanean's, they accepted the proposal." He said with a small sigh.

Emel let out a small breath of relief, "Well that's wonderful, who are they sending to court you?" She said now smiling.

Osman sighed, "You already know I have found who will be my Haseki*, the letter was for you."

Emel's heart sank, she had never left the country before let alone be forced to live in a foreign one, her thoughts were racing a mile a minute. "I.." She paused for a moment, she may have been nervous but she had really no choice this had been the path for a girl in her postion for a millenia and there was no point in fighting it, she took a deep breath her eyes watering slightly as she did so. "I'll go." she said her head bowed.

Osman without saying a word stood up and walked over to her. He stood Emel up from her chair and embraced her, "It'll be ok." He said, his voice now emotional. "I know we've been through a lot recently but believe me when I say, it will all end up ok." They both stood there for a moment, embraced the other advisors and ministers bowed their heads and after a moment Osman stepped back, wiped his eyes and faced Minister Polat.

"Please inform my sister on any important details she'll need to know about the Essalneans. I must take my leave but please, know this Emel..." He turned to her.

"When we send you, you will be a Rose among wolves and to be in that postion takes great strength and courage, strength and courage that I know you have whether you think you do or not so please know that I am not sending you away because I hate you, but it is because we all have a duty and your duty is to help bring our nation closer to others through marriage and I know you can do that." He knew this was the only way, and as much as it pained him to have to send his sister away, it was better to have good relations in the east especially in times like these.

Emel nodded and sat back down afterwhich Osman kissed her on the cheek and left the room, "So tell me about Essalanea Mr. Polat." She said her voice quivering slightly.

"Of course your majesty." He bowed his head.

Chapter Two: A Hard bargain

Central Essalanea, Karg Territory

pungent smoke filled the air as great skewers of meat roasted on blazing campfires, everywhere there was the sound of music and wild laughter. The mood in the camp was celebratory and rightly so, for the first time since the end of the Karg war the clan was on the rise again. The crushing of the Volgis rebellion had earned the Karg the Favour of the Volkmann king and the paramount lord of the steppe had seen fit to reward the sons of Thurderic with the two things they needed most, land and bodies to occupy it.

For the first time in four years, the clan's ranks swelled with fresh blood and its lands once again stretched across the steppe. All of this should have been cause for immense joy but Helbrandt could not help but feel like a prisoner, the Volkmann kings bargain forcing him into a marriage he did not want like some unhorsed chattel. He sat uneasily upon the chieftain's throne; his brow furrowed as he watched the revels below.

“Cheer up Helbrandt! It’s a party, not a sendoff!” came a husky voice from behind

Glaeda, first amongst the Karg outriders strode into view and without a hint of grace collapsed onto a pile of floor cushions with a wide grin on her face. She was a tall woman, the majority of steppe women were, and a single plaited tail of hair lent her overwise shaved head a certain aggressive majesty. Glaeda rubbed the long scar on her left cheek, a parting gift from a Volkmann bayonet at Neuanfang, unlike Helbrandt she had embraced the festive atmosphere wholeheartedly.

“I would feel more amused if I hadn't just been prostituted to southern dogs!” Helbrandt growled irritably

Glaeda didn’t reply, she took a long swig from the bottle of Cogorian vodka in her hand and then burst into wild, almost mocking, laughter that reminded Helbrandt of a scavenger dog. She sat up and locked eyes with her chieftain, the look was both sympathetic and perhaps also a little bit pitying.

“You don’t have to love the woman, just marry her and enjoy the prestige that comes with it all” Glaeda said trying to placate him

“Prestige! My warriors must think me a weak puppet! Submitting to Gaiseric’s schemes one after another!” Helbrandt grumbled irritably

“Now I know you haven't been down there yet! They couldn’t care less about the marriage, the clan is just happy to be back on the right track, you’ve given us back our pride and a future” she said sincerely

A sea of yurts stretched out across the landscape below, generators hummed as tall floodlights illuminated the vast gathering. The sounds of carousing, singing and merriment filled the evening air and Helbrandt couldn’t help but notice the large number of bondsmen emerging in steady streams from the tattooist's tent. The Volgis had been all too happy to join their new clan, the alternative was slow death by exile, countless new bondsmen now sported the clan icon of a wild dhole on their newly tattooed flesh.

“Perhaps you have a point... I haven't seen the clan in this good a mood since just before the war, it's been too long since everyone let their hair down” Helbrandt admitted wearily after a long silence

“Aye, old Hans hasn’t played his four strings with that much passion in a good long while,” Glaeda said noting the clan bards inspired performance

“Still, taking an unhorsed wife? What if she's some sheltered wallflower, unhorsed women are oppressed creatures Glaeda, they do not live as equals like we do in Aydin” Helbrandt said his voice betraying a rare hint of vulnerability

“So, if they don’t live as equals in Aydin then this is a good thing” Glaeda offered

“How so?” Helbrandt asked curiously

“She’ll get the shock of her life, sure, but once the confusion dies down shell realize Shes out from under the thumb of her brother and amongst people who are truly free, she might even come to like clan life, Ya know, assuming the winter doesn’t kill her,” Glaeda said optimistically

“Or the wolves,” Helbrandt said with a smirk

“Snakes” Glaeda replied with a knowing smile

“The wild dogs,” Helbrandt said with a chuckle

The two warriors laughed at that, for the first time in days he felt his melancholy fade as though a weight had been lifted from his shoulders. He turned to Glaeda and motioned with his head to the bottle she still gripped.

“That Cogorian swill any good?” Helbrandt asked with a raised eyebrow

“Eh, tastes worse than horse piss but it gets the job done” Glaeda shrugged before taking another gulp

“Well then pass it over!” Helbrandt said in an excited voice

Glaeda grinned and handed him the half-empty bottle, he raised it to his lips and drank deeply before lowering it. The vile spirit burned down his gullet like fire and left a taste not dissimilar to motor oil in his mouth. Helbrandt winced slightly before taking another long gulp and passing the bottle back to Glaeda.

“Horse piss would definitely better, but it does get the job done,” Helbrandt said approvingly

“So, this Emel any good looking?” Glaeda asked between swigs of vodka

“No idea, guess we’ll find out” Helbrandt replied with a nonchalant shrug

The wedding was still months away, distant and yet rapidly approaching, he hadn't seen a picture of his would-be bride yet but that hardly seemed to matter. Gaiseric had been very clear, it was a political arrangement rather than the loving pairings that defined steppe life, a means to an end and little else. Wedding an Aydini princess was just one more sacrifice Helbrandt would need to make to ensure the ascent of his clan.

The Imperial Palace
Antalya, The Capital district, Aydin
April 9th, 2021
1:22 PM

"
So in summary, Essalanea is a wild, and untamed nation in need of a guiding hand. Slowly working its way onto the world stage, while it begins to become a more cohesive and modern place." Polat gestured to the projection of the Essalanean map on the wall. "Your task will be to secure the safety of the nation's east and allow us to open new relations with them and push forward our agenda in the region. Any questions your highness?" He said turning to face her, his hands held together behind his back.

"Yes, so two questions." She said adjusting herself in her seat. "Will it be safe for me there? Because from what you've described it sounds a bit... rough" Polat nodded.

"I understand your concern but, you should be safe, the clan we are sending you to is one of the more high profile clans and I can assure you your safety will be maintained." He walked to the council table and sat down. "And your other question?"

Emel shifted again in her seat, now visibly uncomfortable her head now swirling with thoughts. "So.. when this marriage is done and finalized... will I get to go home." Her expression now desperate looking for some kinda of respite.

Polat looked at her and then down at the table, after a brief pause he turned his head to look at her.

"Your Higness, your stay there will be for a as of now an undetermined time, so as of this moment I can't exactly say when you will return back to Aydin." Tears began to form in Emel's eyes, deep down Emel knew it but she just didn't want to accept the fact of the matter, that she would not be coming home for a long time. Noticing her rising distress Polat tried to reassure her. "I can see you're upset, but the good news is that you will get to see your brother on the day of the wedding along with your sister." He said trying to keep her calm. But his assurences did nothing to ease her thoughts.

"I get it.. I'm supposed to do my duty no matter the cost to my own self." Her tears now unstopable, she stood up and walked out of the room before Polat could say another word.

Eastern Aydini Air space
April 9th, 2021
Five Hours later

Emel stared out the window of the jet, from her position high in the clouds she could see the many towns and villages that dotted the landscape from above.

"It is so beautiful." She thought to herself. Looking at the sights below had put her at ease for the time being, but her thoughts still ran wild with pictures of what the future held. She could still not believe it all, that her brother had sent her to be married off to some savage in a land which could barely hold itself together. She had pictured her marriage to be one to a prince in a far away land, not some filthy horselord who didn't even speak the same language as she did. From a young age Emel had known her marriage was an inevitability but it had been tradition for centuries after all and tradition which even she train for alongside her sister. And all the while her brother got to rule a nation, and enjoy the luxuries that came with it. He had no idea what it was like to be locked in the Harem for his entire life, being forced to keep silent and always ready to be actuioned off at a moment's notice.

For much if her life Osman had been a caring and kind brother, but her was always somewhat disconnected from his sisters and their issues, concerns and aspirations. His unknowing condecension and lack of understanding always served to distance the two. He had no idea what it was like to be trapped in a palace for most of his life, unable to leave without permission. At heart she could tell he cared but he just didn't seem to really connect. But now without even asking her beforehand has sent her off to some backwater which she barely knew anything about aside the knowledge that they were an "important geopolitical asset". It made her furious but most of all feel.. betrayed. Betrayed by her own family, who seemingly just auctioned her off without a care for what she though, betrayed by those who she thought she could trust.

Standing up from her chair Emel walked over to the small bar that was positioned beside the seats. At the bar she surveyed the different drinks that sat neatly in front of her. There was a bottle of Prydanian Whiskey, a bottle of Santonian wine, a bottle of Predicean wine, along with several other bottles of various alcohols. After a brief moment, she picked up and opened the bottle of Santonian wine and walked back to her seat.

As Emel looked out of the window at the ground below she drank from the bottle, and tears began to roll down her cheeks as she began to cry.

Höllenzunge springs

Central Essalanea

Steam rose above the bubbling pools filling the air with an unmistakable reek of Sulphur, it was a place as old as the steppes themselves. The springs name translated to “hells tongue” in the speech of the unhorsed, a holdover from an ancient messianist slaves' exclamation that the place resembled the mouth of hell. To clan Karg, the Höllenzunge represented something far less dramatic, since the days of Thurderic it had served as a place of rare tranquillity, a retreat for the chief and his most loyal bondsmen.

Helbrandt lowered himself into the welcoming heat with a pleased grunt, the dirt and exhaustion of a long day's ride melting away in an instant. Around him were arrayed the heart of clan Karg, the elders with their ghostly white hair, the veterans with their scarred arms and warriors' rings and the Hetman who spoke for the wider community. Coming to the hell tongue wasn’t simply an excuse to escape the pressures of steppe life, it was a deeply political act a chance to convene with wise counsel and gauge the mood of the clan.

“The Aydini princess will arrive in Neuanfang in a matter of hours, then a week from now she will make her way under escort to us here on the plains” Obadus, the oldest of the clan explained as he warmed his aged frame in the spring waters

“Ziu knows what spectacle Gaiseric arranged with those southern dogs” Helbrandt replied gruffly

He gazed out at the plains below, patrols of Karg bondsmen on warhorses and motorcycles kept watch for any would-be attackers. These days the act of guarding was more ceremonial than practical, there hadn't been a major clan incursion in years. Blood feuds and skirmishes still claimed lives on a daily basis, but the days when one clan could invade another's territory with impunity? Those times had passed and as long as Gaiseric's united army remained, they would remain so. Gaiseric would have called such a lull in bloodshed a sign of progress, Helbrandt called it damned boring.

Change, it was in the air wherever you went, Gaiseric's new order had pried open the long-shut gates of Essalanea and unleashed a flurry of foreign activity. The pace of mining, foreign investment and modernization projects was break-neck, already the rumble of industry encroached upon the once unbroken silence of the steppe as mountains were hewn open and great factories erected.

“I sometimes wonder if Ulli was right to resist,” Helbrandt said suddenly feeling very weary

Helbrandts late cousin had fought a bloody and ultimately doomed insurrection to keep Essalanea closed to the outside world and its modernity. That war had ended with his death and the humbling of the Karg as they had knelt in submission to the Volkmann on the great plains. Helbrandt had learned a brutal lesson that day, even the fiercest warrior was little match for rockets and modern ordinance. And yet even in death, Ulli’s struggle continued, how many of the poorer clans still revered the slain chieftain? Too many to count.

“I'll be blunt Helbrandt, your cousin was the bravest man I ever met, he was also stubborn and blind, he was so busy roaring his defiance to the sky that he couldn’t see the defeat on the horizon...or the bullet that did him in” Obadus replied his tone sharp and to the point

“What would you do in my position? We are pawns in a terrible game, Gaiseric would have me accept gifts from foreign princes, gifts that will make us slaves if we are not wise” Helbrandt said despondently

“So be wise Helbrandt! Is that not why you are chief!? We are only pawns if we allow ourselves to be played, take the gifts with one hand but keep the other on the hilt of your sword. They might think to bribe us with this princess, but it gives us leverage as well, you will be the sultan's brother!” Obadus yelled raising his hands in exasperation

“So, I should accept a snake into my bed?! She's little more than a spy for her brother” Helbrandt snapped in annoyance

“Is she? Look at it from her perspective, she's been traded away without a second thought to some “unwashed barbarians” Obadus said putting mocking emphasis on the last words

Everyone in earshot burst into amused laughter at the comment, Unhorsed pretensions of superiority never ceased to garner laughter amongst the clans. It was a fair point, loyalty to a brother who had sold her to the clans was likely to be tenuous.

“You think she might take our side?” Helbrandt asked suddenly curious

“I think she has been used as a chattel her whole life, first by her father and then by her brother, show her that here on the steppe we live as equals and she will become her own person, a person with insight into the Aydinis, she could help us navigate their schemes and understand what her brother truly wants,” Obadus said in a thoughtful voice as he ran a wet hand through his long beard

“Make her one of us then?” Helbrandt asked already knowing the answer

“Aye, Emel might be a dagger hidden in roses, but Osman doesn’t have to be the one grasping the hilt” Obadus replied with a devious grin

Helbrandt returned the old man's gesture with a toothy smile of his own, Osman had no idea who he was dealing with, but he might soon find out.

Last edited:
Chapter Five: The Arrival

Neuanfang

Capital of Essalanea

The drive to the city had been a bumpy one, her intoxication mixed with not so great road infrastructure made Emel queasy as they made their way to Neuanfang. As they arrived and passed through the large city gate, Emel took her time to observe the city and the buildings around her. They were, to say the least... less than modern, made primarily of what looked to be stone and wood, nothing too complex, mainly just two-story buildings and a few more rudimentary buildings mixed in. Compared to Antalya’s towering skyscrapers back home, this city was seeming every second to be more and more like a town than an actual city.

The people who lined the streets stopped and stared as the cars passed by. Emel, usually the kind of person to wave and smile at passersby, was in no mood to do so. She felt horrible, her head hurt like hell and her mood had been soured the night before. The car made its way up through the city and to its destination. Volkmann Hall, the building was quite sizable and perched on the top of a hill. The wooden building was beautifully decorated, horses and other carvings decorated the building's exterior. It was nothing like the palaces back home but it was certainly nothing to cough at.

Exiting the car, Emel felt the cold air blow across her back, she shivered. Looking ahead of her she saw the large stairs which led up to the hall, taking a few quick steps toward the stairs proved her speed to be her downfall. With one of her heels getting caught in the cobblestone pavement, causing her to trip and scrape her palms against the ground.

Rushing to her aid, a bodyguard came to assist her in getting back up, pushing him away.

“I don’t need your help.”

She stood up, took off both of her heels, and proceeded to look at her dress. It was ruined, covered in muck from the wet ground. She took her heels and threw them at the ground in a burst of anger letting out a small curse. “Why Allab, must you punish me this way, humiliating me before these people?” She thought. Her eyes began to fill with tears, as she walked up the stairs towards the hall. Her bodyguards carrying her heels trailed not far behind watching her to make sure she did not hurt herself on the way up.

After reaching the top of the stairs Emel made her way to the main door of the hall and knocked.

************************************************************************************************************

A cool breeze flowed through the palace courtyard, pregnant with moisture from the morning rains, the chill caused the hairs on the back of Vargens neck to stand on end. The courtyard, in whose centre Vargen sat, was a simple but pleasant setting, vines flowed across the ancient stonework, wildflowers and herbs filled the dawn with their melange of scent and the gentle flowing of a nearby fountain was soothing to the ear.

If Vargen’s host cared for such comforts he did not say, Gaiseric king of Essalanea was intently focused upon the game of chess that he was currently and rather definitively thrashing Vargen at. The Volkmann king scratched his beard, a neatly trimmed mass of black hair, before raising a stone piece and placing it at the edge of the board with a forceful hand.

“Checkmate” Gaiseric said in an amused voice, the slightest of grins flashing across his features as he did so

“I have no head for this game,” Vargen said in a resigned voice

“That’s why we are playing lad, Chess is much the same as life, everyone wants to make their move and if you want to survive you have to be two steps ahead of them” Gaiseric offered in an almost paternal tone

He was not wrong, Vargen had already experienced the dangers of clan politics firsthand. The son of the Hureg chieftain had nearly died protecting Gaiseric from a Volgis assassin's blade, Gaiseric had kept him close ever since as though he believed Vargen to be a good luck charm. Vargens' father Magnar had been all too eager to nurture this new favour and had commanded his son to learn all the king had to teach him.

“This marriage, it's a move on the chessboard as well I take it?” Vargen said with a knowing smile

“Every move a ruler makes is a calculated risk, the marrying of this Aydini princess to one of my strongest chieftains is no different” Gaiseric replied calmy

“What assurance do we have that this won't end with Aydin drawing us into their schemes?” Vargen asked quizzically

“Sod all Vargen, as I said, it's a calculated risk, just as we now play with this board I am playing a similar game with Osman, the difference is the pieces are flesh and blood” Gaiseric replied in a matter-fact tone

A mix of shock, curiosity and fascination had gripped the steppe as news had spread of the coming marriage. While traditionalists had predictably pointed to the wedding as a sign of Essalanea’s growing degeneracy, others had seen it as an opportunity. Aydin offered the clans fresh markets for their nascent commodities trade and if they could play the great game properly, a neighbour they could influence.

“Is that why you insisted on having Emel come to Neuanfang first?” Vargen asked

“If she is to live amongst us she will need guidance, our ways are seldom easy to adapt to and the clans will only embrace her if she can be seen to act like one of us” Gaiseric replied

A knock on the ancient oak doors brought the political discussion to an abrupt conclusion. Vargen turned in his seat to regard the noise. Gaiseric motioned for Vargen to answer the door with a nod of his head. Rising from his seat Vargen walked toward the entrance and placed his hand upon the bronze rings, he pulled the door open with one strong heave.

A woman stood before him, not of the clans either, her features too soft and delicate to be of the steppe. The stranger was a bedraggled sight, her dress dirtied by mud and her feet bare, she looks a shade green as well. This could only be the princess, Vargen couldn't help but wonder what she had endured on her journey, she looked as though she’d gotten into a fight with a wild animal.

“Who is it?!” Gaiseric called out from the courtyard “if it's Ermanric tell him I am still waiting for that crate of Mintorian ale!” Gaiseric said with a good-humoured chuckle

Vargen turned to regard Emel, she opened her mouth to say something but instead of words, a stream of scarlet coloured vomit flowed from her lips and onto his Kaftan. The mess flowed down the green wool of Vargens tunic and left a strong, acrid, reek of stale wine in its wake. He grimaced inwardly and with a reluctant hand attempted to remove as much of the filth as he could. Emel’s knees shook violently as she fell to the ground in a shivering pile.

A rare sound filled the air, bellowing laughter, Gaiseric rarely gave in to such overt displays of emotion but evidently, the princesses moment of weakness had been amusing. The king of Essalanea crossed the threshold and kneeling beside the princess, gently helped her to her feet.

“She’ll fit in just fine! Haven't seen anyone spew like that since old Herman’s wine got spiked at the spring rites!!!” Gaiseric said in a loud and jovial voice

“She isn't looking too good” Vargen muttered as he pulled his Kaftan free and regarded the stained thing with a displeased eye

He couldn't really blame the young princess, she had been packed off by her fool brother and sent to Essalanea as though she was a prized tribute mare. The women of the steppe would never have tolerated such an act, but then again the unhorsed were not known for being logical.

“She’ll be fine, just needs a bath, some fresh clothes and hearty food! Take her to see the steward, oh and you might want to find a bucket to wash off that spew while you're at it lad!” Gaiseric said gently passing Emel to Vargen who led her indoors

Gaiseric scratched his beard and pondered what he had just seen, the young woman had much to learn about clan life and very little time to do so before the wedding. He suspected when she recovered the hangover would be the least challenging thing she would face.

Last edited:
Back