Hulldom
Discord
seathestarlesssky
ga.jpg

Repeal: "Death Penalty Ban"
Category: Repeal | GA #535
Proposed by: Big Boyz | No Onsite Thread
Replacement: None​

General Assembly Resolution #535 “Death Penalty Ban” (Category: Civil Rights; Strength: Significant) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Noting that there is strong support for the Death Penalty in many WA member nations,

Further noting that it is the will of the World Assembly to promote the free democratic expression of ideas and ensure that the government responds to the will of the people,

Believing that forcing member nations to forsake the death penalty creates a contradiction with the democratic ideals of the World Assembly, whereby member nations are forced to ignore the will of their people,

Noting that the desire of the original proposal is to “spend money currently dedicated to the substantial administrative and legal costs of pursuing death penalties on enforcement or rehabilitation programmes”, but that the original proposal does not clarify what these programs are, how to implement them, or how to assess their effectiveness,

Believing that this ambiguity is detrimental to the functionality of the criminal justice system, especially in poor nations where the introduction of ineffective programs can severely drain the financial resources of the Justice Department,

Noting that the proposal believes the “[Application of the death penalty] targets the mentally ill, socio-economically disadvantaged, and members of racial and cultural minorities”,

Noting that most nations with the death penalty enforce stringint laws to prevent the execution of the mentally ill,

Believing that the issue of using the death penalty to target racial and cultural minorities and the socio-economically disadvantaged is part of a larger systemic issue of disparity in the justice departments of individual nations, and that the abolition of the death penalty does not directly mitigate this effect,

Noting that the original proposal wishes to prevent “death penalties [from being] issued against people who are actually innocent of the crimes for which they are to be punished”

Noting that the criminals who have been sentenced to death were convicted in a fair trial by a jury of their peers,

Further noting that substantial opportunity for appeal and stay of execution exists in nations with the death penalty,

Believing that this sufficiently mitigates the risk of false execution through ample opportunity to introduce reasonable doubt,

Hereby repeals General Assembly Resolution 535 “Death Penalty Ban”.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

[TR][TD] For [/TD][TD]Against[/TD][TD] Abstain [/TD][TD] Present [/TD][/TR][TR][TD]2[/TD][TD]15[/TD][TD]0[/TD][TD]1[/TD][/TR]

Last edited:
Further noting that it is the will of the World Assembly to promote the free democratic expression of ideas and ensure that the government responds to the will of the people,
Next: someone tries to ban autocracies from the WA.

Against.

Last edited:
4 main arguments highlighted, namely:

1) NatSov
Believing that forcing member nations to forsake the death penalty creates a contradiction with the democratic ideals of the World Assembly, whereby member nations are forced to ignore the will of their people,
I am pretty okay with this.

2) Ambiguity with regards to how the money could be used for other rehabilitation programs
Believing that this ambiguity is detrimental to the functionality of the criminal justice system, especially in poor nations where the introduction of ineffective programs can severely drain the financial resources of the Justice Department,
Not quite the argument I expect...because to solve this issue you can write another resolution about rehabilitation programs if we are to go down that rabbit hole.

3) Discrimination in application are systemic
Believing that the issue of using the death penalty to target racial and cultural minorities and the socio-economically disadvantaged is part of a larger systemic issue of disparity in the justice departments of individual nations, and that the abolition of the death penalty does not directly mitigate this effect,
Hmm...No.

4) Nations with death penalty have laws to prevent execution of innocents.
Noting that the criminals who have been sentenced to death were convicted in a fair trial by a jury of their peers,

Further noting that substantial opportunity for appeal and stay of execution exists in nations with the death penalty,

Believing that this sufficiently mitigates the risk of false execution through ample opportunity to introduce reasonable doubt,
Don't believe that can be true in poor nations.

Against as a whole, I don't feel convinced by the arguments in general.

This proposal takes a lot of things for granted, assuming that some things are played out in WA-compliant nations without concrete examples of such actions and prejudices. Since these conjectures and assumptions are not enough to build any substantial evidence against the death penalty ban, I find this proposal rather hard to believe.

Against!
(Can we please just let this die already?)

Last edited:
Unpopular onion: but I personally do believe in having the death penalty as a form of deterrence and punishment for some of the most heinous crimes that are committed by some part of humanity.
If you ask me whether a serial killer should be allowed to lived if he has shown no remorse for his wrong doing, then I will say kill him, for there is no point in trying to save or rehabilitate someone who does not want to be saved.

For

Against
Unpopular onion: but I personally do believe in having the death penalty as a form of deterrence and punishment for some of the most heinous crimes that are committed by some part of humanity.
If you ask me whether a serial killer should be allowed to lived if he has shown no remorse for his wrong doing, then I will say kill him, for there is no point in trying to save or rehabilitate someone who does not want to be saved.

For
A very significant number of executed inmates were later proven to be innocent after DNA evidence was found.

Against
A very significant number of executed inmates were later proven to be innocent after DNA evidence was found.
A genuine question; Are you referring to the past (as in pre-2000s) or the present? I do think with the technology we have at hand, some (definitely not all) of these serious crime are solved. I understand there is a real concern with the death penalty being abuse by those in power, that is why an independent watchdog, free from the government control, should help monitor the cases where the death penalty is applied. I would also note that this in itself is also not a perfect solution, but I do personally believe that when in the case where solid evidence has been established and the offender shows no remorse, we have to put an end to his life. If not for the sake of the victim or their family, then for the sake of showing force to those who would try to do these foolish actions.

For.
True comrades need not worry as they wouldn't ever be in the position where they would be facing execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back