Through The Eyes Of Her People [Solo]

Democratu/Regunalia

Culture/Foreign Affairs/Roleplay Boi
TNP Nation
Democratu / Regunalia
Discord
DJHonore Gaming#5688
(What is this? Through The Eyes Of Her People is my first attempt at some manner of character-based roleplay. It should be said from the outset that the stories contained in this thread will NOT follow any manner of order, chronological or otherwise. You are free to read them in whatever order you wish. The only connection between stories is they will all be taking place from the perspective of a single person somewhere in Regunalia and will follow a day in their life. The purpose of this thread as it stands is to give the reader a peek into everyday life in Regunalia through the eyes of her people.)

Through The Eyes Of: R.A.R.S. Ofc. Conrad Hale on his first day with the service

Hale Residence
Residential District, Regunalia City,
Fortessium Duchy, Centria,
Regunalia

Monday, 5:30 AM

The incessant beeping of my alarm signaled the start of a new day as it had a thousand times before. I turn it off and look at the clock, 5 AM, dead on time. I rouse myself from underneath the covers and head to the kitchen. Today was my first day back after my off week, Chief messaged me about having some kind of news for me before morning briefing, so best not be late. A part of me is hoping this mysterious news has something to do with my request to be elevated to the ranks of the Armed Response Service, another part of my is wishing it doesn't and I finally get some kind of recognition from up top. Anyway, breakfast for me consisted, as it sometimes does, of steak and eggs with a tall glass of orange juice. Say what you want about the Regunalian Royal Army, but when it comes to the nutrition of the men, they don't mess around. Steak and eggs for breakfast meant you were working hard or training that day, and some habits are hard to kick. After a hearty breakfast, it was off to the bathroom to brush up and hit the showers as I normally do. The fun thing about morning showers is they help me wake up and have the right attitude going into work. Always nice for someone working in the emergency services. The next item on the morning to-do list is of course comb my hair and get dressed up in my patrol uniform. If you don't want to be late, there's a bit of an order of operations to it, follow that and you save time. First thing to go on is the standard-issue Level IIIa KR2 ballistic vest, on top of that goes the patrol shirt. With both on, the casual observer wouldn't even know I was wearing a ballistic vest but it's rated to defeat up to .44 Magnum. Long and short of it is it gets the job done without being cumbersome. Next are socks, then uniform trousers, then standard-issue boots. The single sky blue stripe on either side of the trousers mark me as a grade 2 officer, the boys who have been in for a while and have some experience in the field. Looped through the belt loops goes my belt rig, which carries most of the equipment any officer is required to carry with them. from right to left, I have my .44 Magnum service pistol, 5 pistol mags, pepper spray, 2 sets of 2 handcuffs each, 8 zip ties, baton, and finally my taser. Last to go on is my chest rig which holds my radio, notepad, and pen. Throw on my uniform cap and I'm ready to go. I lock up and drive down to the station.

6:15 AM

Upon reaching the station, I buzz into the staff parking lot and park up in my usual spot. As I head in, I give our receptionist Sarah a passing hello. Sarah is an absolute workhorse in the station and fights tooth and nail to help us any way she can. I've been told other departments in Centria are jealous; Good, maybe they can improve their ops because of it. I head through the staff door into the common room and head straight down the admin hall to the Chief's office. I give a light knock on the Chief's door.

[Officer Hale]: "Sir? It's Officer Hale, you wanted to see me?"
[Chief Patton]: "Come on in Hale, got some good news for you."
Chief Patton and I go back to my time in the Regunalian Army, he was the Staff Sergeant in charge of my squad, he retired before I did and I thought I'd never see the lad again. When I heard he'd found himself Chief of Police in Regunalia City, I naturally signed aboard. As I enter, Chief Patton motions for me to sit down and I oblige. He places what I can only assume is a letter in front of me. "Your new orders." He says with a wink. I pick up the letter and find that it reads as follows:

"To the attention of:
Officer (Grade 2) Conrad Hale
Regunalia City Police Department
Regunalia City, Centria

Officer Hale, I hope this communication finds you in good health. At your request, we've consulted with Chief Patton and Sergeant Tatum, and your qualifications have been reviewed thoroughly. In recognition of your exceptional service and commitment to duty, and with the approval of both Chief Patton and Sergeant Tatum, the board as voted unanimously to APPROVE your elevation to the Centrian Armed Response Service. Your standing orders are now to report to the C.A.R.S HQ at 212 8th Street and report in by 7:30 AM for training, your new Sergeant is C.A.R.S Sergeant Lincoln Bellamy, to whom you will report from now on.

-Philip Cook, Chair of the C.A.R.S Applicant Review Board"

[Chief Patton]: "Best be getting a move on, C.A.R.S. doesn't like to be kept waiting."
[Officer Hale]: "Yes sir!"

6:45 AM

Welp, there it was. The news I'd been waiting for for a month that felt like centuries. Patrol is fine, don't get me wrong, but it's a bit quiet. You'll get long blocks of peace broken up by short spurts of action. The Centrian Armed Response Service is at a different pace entirely, C.A.R.S only gets called out for when an armed response is a requirement and it can't be handled by normal officers. It comes with upgraded equipment and training necessary for the role. I jog down to the staff parking lot, fire up the car, and get on my way. It doesn't take me too long to find the C.A.R.S HQ, it's only a 15-minute drive from the station and is unmistakable due to the shield of the Armed Response Service featured prominently and a pack of Bulldogs1 lined up in the side parking lot ready to go. I park up and head in. Sergeant Bellamy just happened to be finishing up some paperwork at the front desk as I walk in. "Officer Hale, I presume?" he asks while reaching for a handshake. "Indeed, and you must be Sergeant Bellamy, well-met sir." I say.

7:15 AM

[Sergeant Bellamy]: "Alrighty, you're early, but that's going to work to our benefit. I've already done the groundwork and arranged for your equipment. Head down to the armory, down that hall, the last door on the left. Our armorer will give you your new standard issue.

I nod and head down to the armory as instructed. I am met with a small room with a grizzled man at a desk in front of a door labeled "Armory - Authorized Staff Only" at the far end and a row of what looks like changing stalls on the right side. [Armorer]: "Come on over, I won't bite. What's your name smoothie2?"
[Cadet Hale]"Officer Hale, sir. You're the armorer I take it?"
[Armorer]: "So I am. Alrighty, let's get you your standard issue. What size are you?
[Officer Hale]: "Extra Large top, 32-30 bottom last I was measured."
[Armorer]: "That'll do, give me a minute or two." The armorer steps into the armory and returns a short while later carrying various pieces of clothing. "C.A.R.S Uniform Shirt in XL, Level III KR2/SP2 Ballistic Vest, C.A.R.S. Uniform Trousers, Level III Ballistic Helmet, 500 Magnum 8-Cylinder Revolver, MAR-3P3 Automatic Rifle with 3 training mags, and a duffel bag to carry it all. Pick a stall and get dressed."
I collect the stated items and head into one of the stalls and get changed as instructed. I walk out of the stall and return to the armorer.
[Armorer]: "Alrighty, sign this release and head to briefing, out the door to the right, 2nd door on your right."
I sign off on the release and head to the briefing room as instructed, time to get training I presume. As soon as I open the door, the first thing I hear is
[All assembled in unison]: "SMOOTHIE" (Shouted happily as if greeting an old friend)
[Sergeant Bellamy]: "Alright, Alright, don't worry about the hazing too much Hale, it'll stop once you have your shield." (looks to assembled C.A.R.S) "Now down to business, as you all have no doubt surmised, we have a smoothie among us. That means we need to train him up in A.R.S tactics and procedures. It's time for Hell Week. Today is day 1, room clearing, Hale and 1 volunteer will run the hell course as many times as it takes to set in tactics. Tomorrow, we cover urban ops, setting perimeters, breaching, and securing a structure before detectives come in. We continue until we've covered and set in every type of op Hale can expect to go on. Anyway, Johnson, you've volunteered to run it with Hale, so while I prep OPFOR, go over the basics with him would you please.
[Officer Johnson]: "Yes Sergeant."
Sergeant Bellamy leaves the room with the other 7 officers while Officer Johnson looks over to me.
[Officer Johnson]: "Alright, let's see what you know." Officer Johnson walks up to the whiteboard and draws a rectangle "Let's say for the fun of it, this is a room you need to clear, where are the points of interest?"
[Officer Hale]: "Corners, points of domination, deep left, deep right, shallow left, shallow right, clear deep left and right as you enter, clear shallow left and right with all due haste afterward."
[Officer Johnson]: "Exactly right, someone paid attention in their time in the military. Just remember to pay attention to the hand signals of the officer in charge, we'll train you up on the rest on the course." Johnson keys his radio. "Razer 1 this is 4, the smoothie is course ready, over."
[Sergeant Bellamy (over radio)]: "4, this is 1, bring him over, out."
Officer Johnson leads me out the back door of the station and I see it. The hell course.
[Sergeant Bellamy]: "LINE UP GUNS UP"
Officer Johnson steps up to the right of the line and I join him immediately to his right. He looks over to me and I nod.
[Sergeant Bellamy]: "Set, GO"
Officer Johnson and I simultaneously move with a purpose into the course and approach a doorway on our right. Officer Bellamy puts a hand on the doorknob from the right and I stack on the left. Johnson hauls the door open and I enter, immediate contact deep left, engaged, hit center-mass, shallow left clear. "Left Clear." I say. "Right Clear, Room Clear." Johnson replies. we run through the remainder of the course in a similar fashion until I lose focus on the second to last room. We are forced to run the course again and again until on the final run of the day we finally make a clean run. We are debriefed and I head home. "6 more days of this." I mutter to myself. If I want a spot on the team, I'm going to have to earn it. But for now, time to get some rest."

1: "A pack of bulldogs" Armed Response Service slang. The main truck used by the service is the AGT-13 (Armored Ground Transport Model 13, IC equivalent of the Lenco Bearcat), affectionately known as the "Bulldog". A group of such vehicles numbering 3 or more is jokingly referred to as a pack.

2 "smoothie" a derogatory term for R.A.R.S trainees. They are so-called because they've yet to earn their Armed Response Service shield patch, and therefore their shoulder is smooth

3 "MAR-3P" 7-Sided Star Standard Naming Convention, Military Automatic Rifle Model 3, Police Variant

Through the Eyes of Cpt Scott Ripley of the RRNCG Cutter "Watchdog"

RRNCG Cutter "Watchdog"
Dock 3, RRNCG Station Delta, RRNCG Commerciorum Branch
Castulo Duchy, Commerciorum,
Regunalia

Ship's Time: 11:00 PM, 7 Bells into Graveyard Command Watch (GCW), 60 minutes to scheduled Command Watch change
Today began, as most do, with me rousing from a restful sleep. I am afforded some time for some manner of breakfast in my cabin, shortly after which I take some care for personal hygiene and change into my watch uniform. I check my pocket watch, 11:50, dead on time. I head down the hallway to the bridge.

[Cpt Ripley]: "Captain Scott Ripley, reporting for change to the First Command Watch at the scheduled time."
[3M1 Stephania Price]: "Acknowledged" *picks up radio* "Bridge to Engineering."
[Radio]: "This is Engineering, we read you Bridge."
[3M Stephania Price]: "Bridge to Engineering, changing to First Command Watch now, Captain has the ship."
[Radio]: "Engineering acknowledges, Captain has the ship."
[3M Stephania Price]: "3rd Mate standing down, your ship Captain."
[Cpt Ripley]: "I acknowledge, my ship."

the ship's bell rings 8 times in 4 pairs of 2, signaling the beginning of the First Command Watch

[Cpt Ripley]: "Let's get underway, Helm?"
[Helmsman]: "No issues to report Captain."
[Cpt Ripley]: "Sonar?"
[Sonar Officer]: "No issues here either, Captain."
[Cpt Rpley]: "Radar?"
[Radar Officer]: "No issues Captain."
[Cpt Ripley]: "Communications?"
[Comms Technician]: "Nothing to report."
[Cpt Ripley]: "Thus completes the bridge check. Helm, what is the status of the engines?"
[Helmsman]: "Engines 1 & 2 are warmed up and ready to go, sir."
[Cpt Ripley]: "Excellent, slow astern both, clear the dock."
[Helmsman]: "Slow Astern both, clear the dock, aye sir."

The Watchdog's aft propellers come to life and the Watchdog pulls away from its dock, shortly after, the Watchdog pulls out of the harbor into the open ocean.
[Cpt Ripley, over the ship's PA]: "Attention, this is your captain speaking, as of now we have reached open waters, set alert 5, I repeat, set alert 5."

All around the ship, those assigned to the first watch report to their watch stations and begin scanning the horizon.

[Cpt Ripley]: "Helm, set course 0-9-0, half ahead both."
[Helmsman]: "Course 0-9-0, half ahead both, aye sir."

Watchdog cruises into her patrol area, passing by many pleasure craft without incident

Ship's Time: 5:50 AM, 5 Bells into the First Command Watch

[Radar Officer]: "Sir, radar contact Romeo 1, bearing 0-3-0, 20 miles, medium vessel 5 miles into restricted waters."
[Cpt Ripley]: "Course 0-3-0, full ahead both."
[Helmsman]: "Course 0-3-0, full ahead both, aye sir."
[Cpt Ripley, over ship's PA]: "Attention all crew, suspicious vessel sighted bearing 0-3-0, 2-0 miles, set alert 4 and launch air unit2, I repeat, set alert 4 and launch air unit."

Watchdog rides up higher in the water as she gains speed, while at the same time, Naval Security Personnel report to preassigned positions on the deck, and the on-station aircrew runs out to get the onboard helicopter in the air

Ship's Time: 6:25 AM, 6 Bells into the First Command Watch

[Dolphin3, over radio]: "Dolphin to Watchdog, suspicious vessel in sight off our nose, looks to be at least 6 on deck, Class Mike4 Harpoon mounted on the bow, looks to be Class Whiskey hooks on deck."

[Cpt Ripley, also over radio]: "Solid Copy Dolphin, maintain distance and observe, we're on the way."
[Cpt Ripley]: "Flank Ahead both"
[Helmsman]: "Flank Ahead both, aye, sir"

Watchdog speeds up once more until it arrives 5 miles from the target vessel, at which time it slows down to the point it is matching the target vessel's speed

[Cpt Riley, over ship-to-ship radio]: "This is Regunalian Coast Guard Vessel Watchdog on 3-0-0 point 0, vessel off my bow, identify yourself."
[Radio]: "This is Easy Cruisin, I read you, Watchdog."
[Cpt Riley, over ship-to-ship radio]: "Easy Cruisin, at this time, please shut down your engines, heave to, and prepare to be boarded."
[Radio]: "Negatory, Watchdog, we will be leaving this area momentarily."
[Cpt Riley, over ship-to-ship radio]: "Easy Cruisin, I must insist you shut down your engines, heave to, and prepare to be boarded as you are beyond the buffer zone of a strict No Fishing Area displaying Class Mike equipment, if you do not comply, I may be forced to take more extreme measures."
[Radio]: "Easy Cruisin engines shut down, we await your party Watchdog."

A small craft is lowered into the water by Watchdog with 10 Coast Guard rifleman aboard. In short order, it speeds towards Easy Cruisin and the team leader along with 5 rifleman boards

[Boarding Party Team Lead]: "Who is in command of this vessel?"
A 24-Year-Old steps forward "That would be me, sir, Chad Mason."
[Boarding Party Team Lead]: "Alrighty Mr. Mason, may I see your identification and licenses?"
[Chad Mason]: "I have my I.D. right here, and my boating license"
[Boarding Party Team Lead]: "According to the MDT5, you already have 2 strikes on your record for unauthorized use of Class Mike equipment, now we find you 4 miles beyond the buffer zone of a strict no fishing area while displaying Class Mike equipment. As well, air said these looked like Class Whiskey hooks, they couldn't be more right. The whole reason this area is a strict no fishing area is that it's a known whale breeding grounds. What do you have to say for yourself?"
[Chad Mason]: "I...I wasn't...I have nothing to say in my defense."
[Boarding Party Team Lead]: "Chad Mason, you are in violation of Royal Law, and as such, are under arrest as of now. You are not required to say anything, however, anything you do say can and will be used against you in a court of law, you have the right to a legal counsel to act in good faith in your defense, If you do not have a counsel, a competent counsel will be provided to you by the Kingdom.

Chad Mason is now in Royal Custody pending trial on charges of Attempted Illegal Whaling In Violation of Royal Law, he is assumed innocent until proven otherwise

1: 3M = 3rd Mate

2: air unit = General official term for onboard helicopter

3: Dolphin = official callsign of Watchdog's helicopter

4: Class Foxtrot/Mike/Whiskey = Official way of classifying fishing equipment, Class Foxtrot is everything small enough to only catch fish up to a certain size, Class Mike is anything that falls in between Classes Foxtrot and Whiskey, and Class Whiskey is any equipment of a size or design capable of poaching whales. Having Class Mike equipment onboard a vessel is inherently suspicious, having Class Whiskey equipment of any kind onboard is prohibited by Royal Law.

5: MDT = Mobile Data Terminal, a tablet like device that can quickly look up records and other information

Last edited:
Back