In Land, or in Blood

Iraelia

TNPer
Palakh Ibrahimi looked out at the crowd assembled before him. Stretching back several blocks in the heart of Arbela, rows upon rows of Shaivan faces looked up to him. Some carried crosses, others carried guns, yet more carried implements from their home, fastened into weapons. Many hadn't even removed their work clothes, the insurrection had been swift and spontaneous. He spotted one woman with her husband, wearing a robe and sleepwear, brandishing a kitchen knife. Before them lay the administrative building, set in the center of Arbela. Not even an hour ago, insurrectionists overran the police line surrounding it and occupied the building, burning Iraelian government documents and destroying their iconography. And it was from this building that the Patriarch of Arbela, face of the Lakhic Church, now spoke.

As the crowds echoed with chants of "Mar Mashiah, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner," a drop of sweat perspired on his brown and fell, staining the bottom of his Clerical Robes. He barely had time from the moment protestors took the administrative building to run to the cathedral, dress, and come to address the assembled crowds. He prayed to God no one noticed, he had never been a natural speaker. Nevertheless, his congregants hung on his every word. He inhaled sharply before stepping onto the makeshift podium assembled at the ruins of the administrative building. The audience cheered as he stepped onto the stage, silencing themselves with a raise of his hand.

"Behind you," he began, "lies a symbol of oppression. The New Shaiva Administrative Center. Where for 70 years, Shaivans have suffered at the hands of two devils, the State of Iraelia and the Syrixian Empire. For 70 years they have pillaged our homes, violated our firesides, and made us to be their servant. BUT NO MORE!"

The crowd erupted into applause.

"Now, with your actions here today, as well as the good graces of God, we have made what was thought to be impossible a reality. We were told that Iraelian dominance was an inevitability, we were told that we couldn't easily form our own State, we were told that wealthy Syrixian robber barons running our politics and seizing our resources in a semi-apartheid regime was natural. But need I remind them of what the good Mar Mashiah said? 'Whoever oppresses the poor to increase his own wealth, or gives to the rich, will only come to poverty.'"

"With this victory, we have been given a great commission. To do what is to be done in the name of God: to found a truly Messianic Republic for ALL Shaivans. Not for the wealthy, not for the imperialists, and certainly not for the Iraelian tyrants. The first step of this program has already been carried out, the provincial government is ours. The second step of this program is to transform society in God's image. God does not hate the wealthy, but he does hate their wealth. Go, and seize that which has been stolen from you by the imperial menace. Make the value of society work for ALL, not just the business class. To do this, we shall form local governments, we shall organize parish councils governed by the people of Shaiva. Through these councils, and under the custodianship of the Shaivan Military Council, we will set out to fulfill that promise of the scriptures: 'Each man shall sit under his own vine and fig tree, and none shall make him afraid.' Arbela is yours. None shall interfere, do as you please."

"And finally, the third and last program to be enacted. Shaiva is not yet liberated. We are in control of New Shaiva, but our brothers throughout the rest of Iraelia remain in the midst of civil struggle for self determination. Listen to the news! Already our brothers in Sarazed are shot and imprisoned by the imperial garrison! We cannot so passively abandon our brothers in faith. To this end, a campaign must commence. Tomorrow I shall hold mass and dispense the holy communion at the Cathedral of Iosep I in Central Arbela. Then, we embark on pilgrimage. We shall liberate the Shaivans of Efa, and continue on to the holy city of Sarazed. We shall come not only baring arms, but forgiveness. Mar Mashiah teaches us to turn the other cheek when struck, and to this end we shall not set out with violent intent. But if the imperialists and the tyrants seek to repress the will of Shaiva, we will not hesitate to exercise appropriate force in the name of Shaiva and in the name of God. I am calling on all young men and women to march with us, to take up arms and join the forces of the Shaivan Military Council on this pilgrimage. Not only for the future of Shaiva, but for the future of the Kingdom of God on Earth."

"And to Taneli Gadi, to the starry eyed upstart ruling from Adonai-Jireh, know this: Shaiva will be independent. It is in your power to determine if the cost will be in land alone, or in blood as well."

Palakh Ibrahimi removed his clerical robes as he made his way to the Assembly center of the New Shaiva Administrative Center. Upon walking into the room, the Shaivan Military Council rose to meet him.

"At ease," Ibrahimi said, "let's get started."

Khonaya Sharo, Chief of Staff of the SMC, rose to speak first.

"We've secured the Iraelian military installations in Shaiva. There was little to no bloodshed, thank God. It seems the Iraelian government wants to avoid conflict. Nevertheless, we're in a good position militarily if it comes to that. We have enough mechanized vehicles for an armored division, but we're going to need to train the auxiliaries to use them. Thankfully, we have a few Shaivan deserters from the military, they should serve as good instructors."

"Good," Ibrahimi replied, "What of the non-armoured vehicles? Will they be ready for the march on Sarazed?"

"Yes, we've got a solid fleet of trucks, jeeps, and semi-armored cars. They should be ready for use on the campaign... The same can't be said for aircraft... We have a couple dozen... But few trained aviators, and it wouldn't matter either way. If this conflict escalates, Iraelia will have air superiority."

"It matters not," Ibrahaimi said dismissively, "if Gadi chooses to make this a war, we will win in spite of the rains of fire. We know this land, it's rightfully ours. They may drive us underground for some time, but we will be back. And we will win."

Khonaya Sharo nodded slightly before sitting down.

Next was Ramina Panna, the Quartermaster General and only female member of the SMC.

"Regarding the march," she said, "those farmers that are loyal to the SMC have willingly donated a large portion of their surplus harvest and meat. We should have enough rations for at least a month of marching."

"Excellent," Ibrahimi exclaimed, "We must make absolutely sure not to pillage on our pilgrimage. We are liberators, not conquerors."

Someone laughed. Ibrahimi stared at the man, Nasir Harpreet, a Shaivan-Syrixian man and Provost Marshal of the SMC.

"Is something funny?" Ibrahimi asked sternly.

"Don't be so naïve, Palakh, you and I both know you're telling this council a fantasy," Harpreet replied, "the fact is, as much as these people are united around you and our holy cause, they are not wholly within your control. Throughout the auxiliaries, there is a strong reactionary sentiment. A resurgent Shaivan nationalism that not only seeks to liberate our people, but doesn't take too kindly to the Syrixians or Iraelians as a people."

"We always knew this would be an issue," Ibrahimi said, "but the problem is mostly contained for now. We have a much bigger issue."

"Oh is it?" Harpreet asked, "Because I've been stretched thin deploying Marshalls to oversee the activities of independent auxiliary militias, and even in spite of their presence and actions to the contrary, these militias have not only been seizing the assets of these Syrixians, but beating and assaulting them."

He paused for a second.

"I am loyal to a free Shaiva, and I am loyal to Mar Mashiah... But watching the auxiliaries harass, and in some cases murder, my father's friends... It leaves me uneasy."

"Traitor!" shouted Lamassa Khanuh, Commandant of the Auxiliary.

"Silence!" Ibrahimi declared, "You are on thin ice, Khanuh. If you can't control your auxiliary, maybe Harpreet will."

Ibrahimi looked at Harpreet with solemn concern.

"I'm truly sorry, you're absolutely right," he said, "I'll allocate you an additional 1000 men, we'll have them screened for... Unsavory tendencies."

"Thank you," Harpreet replied.

"Now," Ibrahimi said, "let's talk about the pilgrimage. Tomorrow at the Cathedral I'll be holding the old Syriac Mass with homily before march. But we need a service for the Ainshari as well, a traditional absolution of transgression for those Ainshari who wish to join us on pilgrimage. I'll entrust that to you, Ramina, you have the deepest ties with that community."

Ramina, being Ainshari herself, nodded.

"But, when our service concludes... I will be marching with the SMC."

The Council erupted into objection. Cries of You can't and absolutely not shook the chamber. Ibrahimi silenced them by bringing his gavel down upon the table.

"I don't want to hear it. I started this movement, I need to lead it. If I die, I die, but I strongly believe that the Iraelian government will be loathe to open fire on me. If not for the morale of the troops, I will do this to bring this conflict to a swift end."

And when he had finished speaking, the council, in silence, concluded.

Knesset
Adonai-Jireh, Iraelia

Taneli Gadi fumed as she watched the events unfold on the screens in front of her. Neither Deputy Prime Minister Razya Atzil or Minister of Foreign Affairs Eshkar Hiskiyah said anything. They both had decades of experience on her, but they knew enough not to invite her wrath.

It was eventually Razya who spoke.
"The one thing that hasn't been discussed, Madame Prime Minister, is your uncle. Ibrahimi wants to play with G-d. Fine. Let's see the Dayaan match him psalm for psalm."

Eshkar looked over, shocked. Not at the suggestion per sey...he'd considered it himself...but shocked that the leader of the Labour Unity party would make such an appeal to religious authority. Razya was resourceful, however. Perhaps Eshkar shouldn't be shocked he'd be willing to play any card he had on hand.

"You know" Taneli replied, "I'm half tempted to. For the poetic justice."

Neither Eshkar or Razya expected that. Taneli was not one to emphasize her relation to the Dayaan if she could help it.

"The Dayaan oversees the Temple" she continued.
"The Temple" she said, emphasizing the word. "The second temple. Built because the Shavians destroyed the first one. Built only after the Syrixians liberated us after centuries of Shavian oppression. Palakh talks about oppression, but he seems to forget who had whose boot to whose throat before the Syrixians arrived. So yes. I'm half tempted to ask my uncle to unleash Shaddaist religious righteousness on him. He's begging for a holy war, after all."

Eshkar and Razya both looked over, shocked. Shocked to hear Taneli Gadi the activist, Taneli Gadi the idealist, speak in these terms. Had the war against Murza in Astragon, had the war in support of their allies in the Vestrugat, broken her? To have a term that began with such high minded ideals devolve into a series of conflicts foisted upon her by forces outside of her control?

"History is a strange thing. We got free from Shavian shackles, and exerted our revenge" Eshkar replied. "Now they've come seeking retribution. Who knows? In two hundred years Iraelians will demand vengeance for what's happening today."

"Yes, well I have a historical memory" Taneli grumbled.
"And I won't let Palakh Ibrahimi play the role of the victim here." She stared at the footage some more before sighing.
"Thankfully" she continued, "I'm not quite ready to embrace conflict. What is the situation in Sarazed?"

"The city is protected by the Army" Razya replied.
"And order is being maintained. For now."

"Well I'm ready" she nodded.
"Alert the IBC*. I'm addressing the nation."

"Palakh Ibrahimi. You claimed the choice between peace and blood was mine" Taneli said, staring into the IBC cameras.
"The choice I face is not peace or blood though, nor is it a question of G-d's will. It's a matter of law and order. Order which we will maintain, to protect our citizenry. For all your proclamations of peace, blood has already been spilled by forces loyal to your cause. And so I say to you, the Iraelian State Defence Forces WILL maintain law order, they WILL protect our people. The recent blood spilled, after all, is not the first Shaddaist blood spilled at the hands of Shavians."

"So I say this to you. Halt your advance on Sarazed. As much as you wish to paint this as my choice, we both know that the cycle of violence between our peoples goes back further than Syrixia. It goes further back than the Shavian Empire's desecration of our Temple. So let us not mince words- the choice between peace and blood isn't mine; it's ours. The cycle of violence doesn't end unless we both decide it does, but advancing on Sarazed is a choice for blood. So stop your march. Agree to meet, and let us put thousands of years of hatred to rest. I will not allow this country to fall into anarchy, but nor will I continue to prop up an exploitative state system. Meet with me, and let us avoid further insurrection."

*IBC= Iraelian Broadcasting Company

Back