mcmasterdonia

Just like a queef in the wind, so is life
-
-
-
TNP Nation
McMasterdonia
McMasterdonia for Delegate

Hello there. My name is McMasterdonia and I am standing for Delegate of The North Pacific.

Preamble

Many of you know me very well, but some of you do not. I will keep the preamble on my history in the game fairly brief. However, feel free to ask me questions on this as well, should you wish to do so.

I first joined The North Pacific in 2011 and since that time have served in almost every role in the Executive Government. In 2012 I was first elected Delegate and was elected again in 2013, and 2014/15. After an approximate five year hiatus from serving in an elected role, I was elected Delegate again in 2019/2020. It has been 8 months since I last served as World Assembly Delegate.

The North Pacific and its community has always been my home and priority during my time in NationStates. I believe strongly in the success of our region and the diversity that underpins that success.

I have felt that recently, the Executive Government has lost its way and has not been able to deliver uniformly the success that is expected by our residents. My goal if elected Delegate will be to return us to a path of progress and prosperity, where our government serves all aspects of our community comprehensively and competently.

General Administration

Executive Staff Applications

As the Delegate, I will ensure that executive staff applications are processed as quickly as possible. Deputy Ministers will have the ability to accept executive staff applications on the part of their minister and to enter them into the executive staff mastersheet. Likewise, I will make sure that the welcome message that is sent to each new applicant is updated with the drafts available to all to use.

Chief of Staff
At this stage, I am leaning towards appointing a singular Chief of Staff. The Chief of Staff will be primarily responsible for supervising the Executive Staff Mastersheet to ensure that it is up to date and being filled in correctly by each Minister and Deputy Minister. In addition, the Chief of Staff will assist me in the preparation of reports from The Office of Delegate, disclosure of government records, and in following up on other key projects as needed.

Press Releases
According to this dispatch, there have been no press releases since the conclusion of my previous term. I feel that this is a very sad state of affairs. Press Releases are a great way to disseminate news from the executive to the region, to promote regional events and activities, and to encourage further involvement in the regional government. As Delegate, I would make the issuing of press releases a priority for the executive and will outline this further below under each executive category.

I understand that Ministers do sometimes send telegrams out about the activities. That is a good thing as well and I would still encourage that to happen. But I think Press Releases are an effective way to encapsulate government activity into both a telegram and dispatch, which serves as a meaningful snapshot at that point in time and for looking back upon in the future.

Executive Reports
This is another area that has fallen behind recently. If elected Delegate, I would expect each Minister to release a monthly report on their activities and projects to the region. This report would be drafted by the Minister and their team and presented to myself for final approval. In addition, I would present a detailed report at the mid point and final point of the term on all government activities.

Gameside Affairs
When I was last Delegate, I spent a great deal of time on in-game engagement on the regional message board, particularly focused on assisting new members and on promoting new government initiatives. If I am elected Delegate once more, I will be a very active in-game as I believe this is very important for establishing good relationships with our active nations.

I will appoint a diverse set of Gameside Advocates, including those with experience in regional message board roleplay worlds, those from cards and endorsement tarting backgrounds, and those who simply love a good chat. Gameside Advocates will be responsible for assisting me with the moderating of the regional message board, the promotion of government initiatives, and the hosting of in-game activities and polls.

Disclosure of Executive Records
As Delegate during my most recent term, I released the first lot of discord logs for disclosure in several years. If I am elected Delegate again, I will prioritise disclosure of government records, starting with the oldest records first and will work closely with my Chief of Staff on this. I also intend to make significant changes to the Executive discord server, which I will elaborate on in the below section. With this in mind, some channels will be archived with new ones created. These records will be released as a matter of priority as I believe it is often easier to assess such records when they are fresh, rather than having to look back over years old records. Secondly, I will ensure that my records from my last terms of service are prepared for release. In addition, at the end of my current term I will also prepare my more recent records for release in due course so that they are completed prior to me leaving office. What has happened historically is that many delegates have not taken responsibility for their own records and have simply left them for someone else to deal with. I believe law reform is required in this area and I am hopeful that I will be able to pursue that in the next few months.

Executive Ministries
I believe in a strong executive government, where all Ministers have a voice in key decision making. My approach is a consultative one. I ensure that everyone has the right to be heard and to put forward their ideas and input into our key initiatives. Then, where necessary, I make a final decision. After that, I expect all Ministers to support the implementation of that final decision.

One of my goals for the management of the executive government will be an overhaul of the executive server. The permissions are all over the place and the Ministries are organised a bit haphazardly. I will work closely with my Ministers once appointed to streamline the server to make it more manageable for our staff.

The Executive has also grown a lot during my time in The North Pacific, as evidenced by these sections below.

I have been satisfied with the work that BMWSurfer and his team have completed this term with The Northern Lights and The North Star in particular. I think they should be commended for these efforts.

My goals for Communications would firstly be the pursuance of a new biannual edition of The Northern Lights that focuses on regional development. In this respect, TNL would work with the Foreign Affairs Ministry to create an edition of TNL that provides a ranking of the top regions by regional development level. This would be based on a number of different criteria, including regions’ infrastructure such as cards, endorsement gathering tools, etc with our metric made publicly available. If a region disagreed with their assessment, it would be up to them to provide evidence to TNL to support a change in their ranking. I think this kind of edition of TNL would prove popular and be a key piece to draw back international attention to our key magazine.

As Delegate, I would also personally support the Minister in their efforts to recruit external authors for our TNL editions. Sometimes hearing from the Chief Executive of the largest region in the game can be quite motivating to potential authors!

For The North Star, I do not envisage any particular changes to its lineup but want to acknowledge that this will continue to be published under my administration.

Finally, I would like to set up a connection with the August bot. This bot as some of you would be aware is useful for disseminating news around NationStates via discord announcements. I think the use of this bot would be very helpful for spreading TNP news to a wider audience.
Culture has been a weaker Ministry this term and my goal as Delegate would be to return it to its prime time slot in the executive government.

I would like to ensure the better promotion of cultural activities in-game, not just through the odd telegram, but also through dispatches for each activity and regular press releases.

I would also ensure that The North Pacific has an active presence in the April Fools Day celebrations (whatever they might be) that will come to fruition. We will also make an effort to celebrate Flag Day which will occur later in the term.

I would continue to hold regular theme Thursdays on the regional discord, providing awards and incentives for those who participate and contribute to our activity.

I would also like to pursue a major overhaul of the main roleplay dispatch that is hosted by The Northern Light. I have mentioned this before as a goal and it really is an important one that will be prioritised. Given how significant the roleplay community is in our region, I think it is important that we portray it with as much info as possible to make it easier for new players to get involved. The roleplay community is incredibly diverse and this information should be conveyed to the region in the form of a roleplay handbook, which will be an excellent resource for years to come.

I would also explore opportunities for interregional events with our allies. In particular, I would focus on Europeia, the Rejected Realms and The South Pacific.
Cards has continued to grow and become a really central part of our community here. As Delegate, I would continue to support the Cards Ministry and provide it with any support necessary to ensure its continued success. In my opinion, our Cards infrastructure and the enthusiasm of our members is the best in NationStates. We should do as much as we can to publicise the successes of the Cards Guild and use that as a potential drawing card (pardon the pun) for new members to join our community.

My intention would be to keep Cards as a Ministry. I think this has worked well and given the Minister of Cards a great opportunity to focus on synergising the work of each cabinet area with the incentives that Cards can bring to interested members.

It is possible that we could see Season 3 coming upon us at some point, in which case, I would ask the Cards Ministry to look into opportunities that TNP could collectively make a fun event out of that.

I would like to host a Season 2 Cards Awards program. This would focus on providing awards to active members of our cards community, for example, who is the best trader, what is the best card available, etc and provide a fun opportunity to celebrate a great season.

Finally, I would be interested in The North Pacific hosting a Cards Symposium. Similar to the World Assembly Symposium and the Roleplay Symposium, The North Pacific can serve as a host for a grand event that would include a live pull event, auctions, and seminars where experts can share their tips and tricks.
I have always believed in maintaining a highly trained, active, and agile North Pacific Army that is capable of undertaking a wide range of activities. As World Assembly Delegate, The North Pacific Army would have my support and involvement in ensuring that opportunities for its success are maximised. My longstanding opinion is that the NPA is the best military in the world. It is certainly the most consistently active and successful game created region military. However, recently, this standard has been slipping. We are not seeing the varied operations of the past, we are not seeing the NPA taking on the lead in major operations, and the recruitment is not happening.

Under my leadership, The North Pacific Army will take part in a large number of varied operations - not simply large scale piling operations. In addition, we will do more to ensure that the NPA is leading these ops and hosting them and not merely serving as a participant. We will host operations and work with allies and friends to bring them in as support to assist in those operations. Finally, we will heavily publicise the success of the NPA (which I will outline further below) and utilise this for further recruitment in-game. I am confident that with my experience as a member of the North Pacific Army and with the support of a highly motivated Minister of Defence, that we will be able to improve, strengthen and grow the North Pacific Army.

One minor goal for the term is to update the NPA dispatch. Similar to the issues with the roleplay dispatch, I would like to update this to include more information about the North Pacific Army and why it is such a good opportunity for new members. I would like to repurpose the NPA General Bios that were utilised during my last term and include these to some extent in this main dispatch.

It would be a priority for the regular distribution of NPA mission reports as press releases to our gameplay embassy, the august bot (once online), and to nations in game via press releases and rmb posts. This will serve as a useful recruitment tool.

Finally, I will work closely with the Minister of Defence to ensure that there are a large number of operations available for members. I believe that this is the key to keeping the military active and well trained - providing a lot of opportunities to update, tag, raid, and defend where possible and to keep things interesting and fun.
In terms of foreign affairs, I am an experienced, assertive and pragmatic leader and strongly believe in prioritising regional interests in foreign diplomacy. Currently, this type of leadership is not being seen from the regional government. Foreign Affairs under my leadership will be far more proactive, assertive and authoritative than has recently been the case. Both myself and the Minister of Foreign Affairs will be a strong voice for The North Pacific in events as they arise and provide the global leadership of The North Pacific and our expertise when required. In addition, we will aim to participate more in major gameplay discussions and where necessary serve as a disruptor and an agent of change in gameplay circles in order to ensure that our voice is being heard and that our allies are protected.

I would ask the Foreign Minister to provide regular reports to the region on notable events that are occurring in embassies regions. This would take the form of a forum post in their office thread. I anticipate that this would happen at least once every two weeks, however it could occur more often if there is a particularly dramatic period of events.

I would continue to provide full reports to the regional assembly on major events as they occur. I believe that these are highly useful for people to understand exactly how much work the Foreign Affairs Ministry does when these events transpire. It also provides people with comprehensive and correct information, rather than the second hand chinese whispers that tend to dominate initial discourse. Some examples of my handiwork in this regard are available here and here.

I would continue to require the maintenance and updating of the World Factbook which I believe will be a great resource when it is completed. My goal for this will be to convert the current drafts/published editions into a google sheet, which would then automatically update the dispatches when edited. I will need to liaise with r3naissanc3r to discuss how possible this is, once I am elected.

UCR outreach has been a stated goal of this administration and previous administrations, but it has not as yet come to fruition. If I am elected Delegate, I would work with the Foreign Minister to pursue stronger ties through participation in cultural activities, NPA cooperation, and similar with these emerging user created regions. The Foreign Minister will be tasked with proactively seeking new embassy relations with emerging regions that meet our rules in order to make this happen. I do not believe it is simply enough to wait for them to come to us.

Finally, we will conduct a review of current offsite and in-game embassies to check whether these regions are still in compliance with our embassy policy. If they are no longer in compliance and are no longer of strategic interest, those embassies will be closed.
For Home Affairs, my goals are relatively simple: lists, lists and more lists! I am always keen to see the HA team sending out as many telegrams as possible and will do all that I can to support those efforts.

The discord welcome wagon has also been a great initiative spearheaded by Nimarya. As Delegate, I would also support these efforts and lend a hand to welcome new members as much as I can.

I would like to work with the Home Affairs team to develop a new template for a forum message that is sent to all new citizen applicants after they have received the approval of the Vice Delegate security clearance. At this point, this early engagement will explain the next steps on their application as well as other opportunities to get involved - i.e. WADP, the executive staff and so on. In doing this, I’d hope that we could also attract some senior volunteers, such as members of the SC, Senior Diplomats and the like, as those early interactions with new players can be very meaningful in establishing good connections.

I am also interested in collating the stats on the telegrams sent/read/received and would ask that the Minister compile this information in their monthly report on the activities of the Ministry.

In addition, I will work with the Home Affairs Minister to review the current telegram templates being used for our lists. These are important work and require regular review to keep them up to date with the many changes we see in our community.

Finally, I mentioned Press Releases earlier in this campaign thread. Press Releases were traditionally under the Ministry of Home Affairs until I decided to appoint a Press Secretary. At this stage, I envision Press Releases returning to HA’s responsibilities.
Radio is still a relatively new Ministry having only been established during my first term in late 2019. My goals for the Ministry of Radio are to simply continue to expand the scope of its activities and to publish as many radio shows as possible.

As Delegate, I would make myself available for a monthly fireside chat with the Radio Minister or one of his designees. This would be publicised to the community via press release, telegram, discord announcement etc, to give members of the public as much notice about their opportunity to ask me as many questions as they like.

I would also encourage other fireside chats with available members of the cabinet, NPA High Command, Senior Diplomats and Senior WA Consultants. I think these are a great informal way for Radio to host a show that introduces some of our experienced members to the newer members of our community.

I would heavily promote radio shows - particularly those that are scheduled in advance by immediate telegrams and press releases. For shows once they have been published, I would ensure they are distributed in-game and to our NSGP embassy.
For World Assembly Affairs, I would be a very active presence in onsite discussions on drafting and campaigning. I would also ensure that our IFVs are linked to proposal threads once they are ready. I think this is a good way to keep our processes front and centre for aspiring authors.

I would also offer personal support from the office of Delegate to TNP authors, including sending out approval campaign telegrams and telegrams to voters for support (when necessary).

Likewise, I have an excellent understanding of WALL, its members and the various personalities involved. I would be an active participant in WALL and regularly utilise its resources to support proposals drafted by members of The North Pacific. In addition, I am a believer in growing WALL in a sustainable way and would continue to look for more opportunities to bring new members into the WALL family. The Minister of World Assembly Affairs will be required to include in their monthly report all activities including motions and votes that have been undertaken in WALL by our Ambassador or myself.

The heroes of the North project continues to be a long term interest of my own. In this, I will appoint key members of the Senior WA Consultants to oversee a particular proposal. The goal for this project will be to get four proposals to final drafting stages, with some of those proceeding to a vote before the term is out.

For the purposes of this campaign, I will also outline my position on approval raiding. This could have easily gone under this section or the defence section, but have decided to include it here. As Delegate, I will permit WA approval raiding against resolutions that are proposed by fascists or individuals that have an OOC problematic history. Otherwise, I do not envisage it occurring against proposals we simply dislike. We have a significant number of other levers to utilise under such circumstances, including unapproval campaign tools, utilising WALL votes, and bringing in other allies to defeat proposals if they do get to a vote. Given the huge number of authors we have in our own region, my concern is that if approval raiding becomes the norm beyond that, we will be disproportionately affected. As Delegate, I will take such efforts against our own proposals very seriously and will take corrective action as appropriate, to defend our proposals and authors.

Finally, I would maintain a thread in the WA Affairs subforum where I would regularly disclose proposals that I have approved and any campaign telegrams that I have received. I think this will be of interest to some members of our community.
Key Performance Indicators
As per previous years, I have summarised the key points from my platform below. Please peruse and do let me know what kind of completion bonus I should seek from taxpayers!

Communications
  • Continuance of regular publications of TNS and TNL;
  • New biannual edition of TNL that would present an issue on a global scale - focusing on a regional development index, where regions would be ranked according to their regional development;
  • Support the efforts of the Minister in recruiting external authors where possible;
  • Set up AugustBot to allow for dissemination of TNP news to all regions that host that bot.
Culture
  1. Better promotion of cultural activities in-game;
  2. Celebration of April Fools Day and Flag Day;
  3. Regular Theme Thursdays;
  4. Overhaul of TNL Roleplay dispatch to create a “Roleplay Handbook”;
  5. Interregional events with our allies and other like-minded regions.
Cards
  1. Continued support of the Cards Guild as a Ministry;
  2. Continued support to implementation of new Cards Guild initiatives;
  3. If season 3 is available next term, new awards/activities and incentives to encourage participation.
  4. Host a Season 2 Awards season in order to recognise great contributions to cards during season 2.
  5. Host a Cards Symposium - a grand event including live auctions, pull events, activities, and seminars from experts.
Defence
  1. Strong support from the Delegate for an active, agile and flexible North Pacific Army that serves regional interests;
  2. Greater NPA led hosting of major operations and piles, with greater coordination of allies and friends to play support to TNP led ops;
  3. Greater Delegate support and involvement in the NPA in order to work closely with the Minister of Defence to keep NPA operations varied and morale of troops high and engaged with operations;
  4. Increased number of officer led operations, including multiple operations per update, with piling/holds not meaning that tagging/detagging operations are put on hold;
  5. Providing an opportunity to NPA Officers to participate in chasing operations to gain new skills and experience;
  6. Amend NPA dispatch to feature general bios, more information on the NPA and its activities and scope;
  7. Distribution of NPA mission reports (when not sensitive) as press releases to Gameplay Embassy;
  8. Heavy promotion in-game of the North Pacific Army and its activities to nations in the region for recruitment purposes;
  9. Aim to keep the number of operations high, with the activities varied, in order to keep the military engaged and active.
Foreign Affairs
  1. My leadership will be characterised by an assertive, pragmatic and dignified foreign policy that prioritises regional interests;
  2. Proactive participation in GP discussions with The North Pacific's voice being heard in major world events, with TNP serving as an agent of change and disruptor if needed in order to protect regional interests and our allies;
  3. Foreign Minister to provide regular reports to the region on notable events
  4. The Executive will provide comprehensive reports on major world events - see examples listed in the FA section including the report on TEP’s coup and the one on the CCD incident.
  5. The World Factbook to continue to be maintained and edited. Goal of converting it to a spreadsheet where dispatches are automatically updated from.
  6. UCR outreach via proactive seeking of new embassy relations with new regions;
  7. In-game and offsite embassy review and closures of inactive embassies.
Home Affairs
  1. Lists, lists and more lists! Oh my.
  2. Delegate support and participation in discord welcome wagon activities.
  3. Creation of new forum direct message template to all new registrants who pass Vice Delegate security check. This will highlight opportunities for further involvement and help create meaningful connections with new players.
  4. Publication of stats on telegrams sent/received/read etc in monthly HA Minister reports;
  5. Review of existing HA recruitment telegrams and templates;
  6. Press Releases to return to the responsibility of the Minister for Home Affairs.
Radio
  1. Monthly fireside chat with the Delegate.
  2. Fireside chats with available members of the executive, NPA High Command and Senior Diplomats.
  3. Promotion of radio activities via press release in-game and on NSGP Embassy. Especially for scheduled events like Fireside Chats.
World Assembly Affairs
  1. Delegate involvement in onsite discussions on drafting/campaigning;
  2. Delegate support of TNP authors via sending out of approval campaign telegrams, telegrams to voters for support;
  3. Proactive participation in WALL. Our government’s participation in WALL including motions made and votes filed will be included in the monthly report from the Minister.
  4. Heroes of the North - goal of getting four resolutions to final draft stage, some of them to a vote by terms end;
  5. Approval raiding to only occur against proposals by nazis or by OOC problematic individuals. I will take corrective action against approval raiding that targets TNP authors and proposals.
  6. Maintenance of a thread that discloses campaign telegrams I receive and the proposals that I approve.
In conclusion….
I believe I have outlined a comprehensive vision for the next four months of executive leadership of The North Pacific. I hope you will consider voting for me! Please ask as many questions as you like :)

Last edited:
Looks great! I wasn’t in TNP last time you were delegate but I have heard good things :P
Would you work with the MoD to update the NPA training manual? It’s rather outdated, especially in reference to defunct organizations.

Looks great! I wasn’t in TNP last time you were delegate but I have heard good things :P
Would you work with the MoD to update the NPA training manual? It’s rather outdated, especially in reference to defunct organizations.
Thank you!
That’s fair - however the NPA is really the sort of organisation that you are best placed to learn with on the job training. I think the manual could be simplified to cover aspects that aren’t as practical - like how to create switchers as a quick example. But otherwise training is best done at update time and one on one. Which I think our officers and generals have consistently shown they are very capable of doing. With that in mind, I think developing a checklist for the officers and/or general to go through when inducting a new member of the NPA might be a good approach. This would ensure that all of those practical training items are ran through and completed for each new member and would ideally supplement a streamlined training manual.

Do you have any concerns with the utilization of a third-party bot, such as AugustinAndroid V2 (name of the bot you referenced), being used in a malicious manner against the North Pacific? The reason that I ask this is due to the nature that the bot and the data it collects is not controlled by a member of TNP Administration or Moderation? Also, do you have any concerns with the bot being given Administrative permissions, as this is a requirement of the bot to function?

Do you have any concerns with the utilization of a third-party bot, such as AugustinAndroid V2 (name of the bot you referenced), being used in a malicious manner against the North Pacific? The reason that I ask this is due to the nature that the bot and the data it collects is not controlled by a member of TNP Administration or Moderation? Also, do you have any concerns with the bot being given Administrative permissions, as this is a requirement of the bot to function?
I intend to utilise the system for the NationStates news stream only. For this reason, I won’t require its presence in any server with sensitive information - like executive or the main server. I could simply set it up in a stand alone server for the sole purposes of utilising the news stream. In that case, the administrative permissions won’t be an issue.

As a note, the AugustinAndroid bot was recently verified for discord and it no longer has the capability to spy on logs :P

Theme Thursdays are one of my favorite things, I think it's something simple and fun to do (in fact I totally stole it and used it in TRR). Do you have plans to keep it more consistent? After season three cards come out and people are more flexible on changing their nation flags, do you have any thoughts on involving gameside into the theme?

What do you think are the region's weak points and what can be done to shore them up?

If you could sign a treaty or form an alliance with a region we are currently not allied with, which one would you choose?

Support = 100%
Thank you!
You just don't stop, do you?
I stop from time to time, but when progress is possible I am keen to see it happen!
As a note, the AugustinAndroid bot was recently verified for discord and it no longer has the capability to spy on logs :P
I thought all bots were capable of doing that anyway, but good to know!
Theme Thursdays are one of my favorite things, I think it's something simple and fun to do (in fact I totally stole it and used it in TRR). Do you have plans to keep it more consistent? After season three cards come out and people are more flexible on changing their nation flags, do you have any thoughts on involving gameside into the theme?
I know you did and that made me happy to see! Yes I think it should be done more consistently. I would be aiming to host it once every two weeks or monthly, with some themes and awards planned out in advance to make that easier.

I certainly think with season 3 that there should be opportunities to involve the Gameside as that’ll be where the card beta design input happens anyway. So I think we’ll need to come up with some awards and incentives at that time to encourage participation and recognise the best designed cards for the new season. In terms of a theme, I’d brainstorm on those ideas with the Cards Guild firstly and then take out the options in-game and decide via a poll vote.

Well, I certainly am supporting it!
It seems great in moving forward in TNP's direction.
I wasn't around for your status as delegate as I joined around a month ago but it seems that it was regarded pretty good.

What do you think are the region's weak points and what can be done to shore them up?
I think recently a real issue has been inconsistency. The regional government is not consistently high performing across all areas and as a result it leaves some feeling neglected or that there isn’t much here for them. In order to shore that up, I’ve outlined a vision above that is comprehensive across all areas and that I believe can be consistently and methodically delivered. I will appoint a great team of individuals with diverse backgrounds across our great region, so that all voices feel heard and so that our government may work for everyone.

The second major area I see as an issue is complacency. I often think that sometimes as long as our scripts are running, people think the ship is sailing okay. I don’t think that’s enough and believe we should have higher aspirations than that for our region. If those aspirations are not being met, then all citizens have a dity

If you could sign a treaty or form an alliance with a region we are currently not allied with, which one would you choose?

At the moment, there are no regions that I would feel comfortable immediately allying with. I feel that alliances should not be undertaken lightly. We need to have mutual values and mutual understanding about what our relationship is and where we want it to go in future. My preference instead is to work on building that understanding first, so that any new alliance is truly meaningful and long lasting. I have a pretty good track record on this front.
Well, I certainly am supporting it!
It seems great in moving forward in TNP's direction.
I wasn't around for your status as delegate as I joined around a month ago but it seems that it was regarded pretty good.
Thank you! Please let me know if you have any questions.

In this respect, TNL would work with the Foreign Affairs Ministry to create an edition of TNL that provides a ranking of the top regions by regional development level. This would be based on a number of different criteria, including regions’ infrastructure such as cards, endorsement gathering tools, etc with our metric made publicly available.
This is interesting, why do you want to see this? Do you think other regions will resent being ranked by TNP?

Do you think any other regions present a threat to TNP's interests?

Every term the backlog on Delegate Record Releases grows. What if anything will you do about it?

This is interesting, why do you want to see this? Do you think other regions will resent being ranked by TNP?

Do you think any other regions present a threat to TNP's interests?

I think it would be a very clear way to link our goals in foreign diplomacy relating to regional development to our publication. It would also be something relatively simple to do, we'd generate a 10 or so point scale based upon subjective criteria. For example, does the region have an endorsements program y/n, does the region have a cards program y/n? That kind of thing and then compile it into an index.

The reason I am in favour of this model is that it is looking at each region holistically, rather than for example, simply considering individual contributions or achievements of NationStates players.

I think that people may view this in the same way some view the Power20. Some people will love it as it will show their region positively, other people will not like it. Nonetheless, it will bring more readers to TNL and gain further interregional attention for our publication. We will also have a clear mechanism for people to challenge the results for their region and I'd have no hesitation to update their score when required.

Every term the backlog on Delegate Record Releases grows. What if anything will you do about it?

I outlined in my platform that this would be one key area that would be the Chief of Staff's responsibility. I also anticipate that when I make changes to the setup of the executive server, that I may actually contribute to additional logs being required for release. With those logs, particularly those for channels that are not sensitive, I would immediately release them. For everything else, I would create an index of which channels need to be released and then provide clear timeframes for that to happen. I would lean towards releasing more and redacting less, which should speed up the process, particularly for channels that may be five or so years old.

I have had a bill in drafting stages in my gdocs about reforming that particular section of the legal code. In particular, I think that these records should be viewed as being a responsibility of the Delegate to whom they belong, with legal penalties if they do not release them within the 1 year timeframe. Otherwise what happens is people leave office and essentially just dump the records on the next person. That's sort of a separate discussion, but point is, for my own records from early last year, I will make sure those are ready as soon as possible for release. Likewise, if I am elected Delegate, I will make sure that I spend time during the transition period after my term preparing my records for release before I leave office.

Last edited:
You've been delegate many, many times. You're unquestionably qualified and would be a stellar delegate as you always have been, but are you concerned that, as a result, this campaign may take away the limelight from any rising stars who may want to make a run?

You've been delegate many, many times. You're unquestionably qualified and would be a stellar delegate as you always have been, but are you concerned that, as a result, this campaign may take away the limelight from any rising stars who may want to make a run?
That is a fair question and an area that I have considered. Ultimately, this time, I am standing against an incumbent Delegate. Certainly in my time in The North Pacific this has occurred very rarely if at all. When it does occur, it is only usually joke campaigns. I don't believe that given the unique circumstances of this election, that I am preventing anyone from deciding to run. We also have the advantage of preferential voting now, so there are multiple pathways to winning the election should someone wish to stand for it. I think my ideas and plans are the right ones to return us back to a consistently high performing government for the next four months.

That is a fair question and an area that I have considered. Ultimately, this time, I am standing against an incumbent Delegate. Certainly in my time in The North Pacific this has occurred very rarely if at all. When it does occur, it is only usually joke campaigns. I don't believe that given the unique circumstances of this election, that I am preventing anyone from deciding to run. We also have the advantage of preferential voting now, so there are multiple pathways to winning the election should someone wish to stand for it. I think my ideas and plans are the right ones to return us back to a consistently high performing government for the next four months.
Very good answer, and this is true - @TlomzKrano running for re-election changes things. This may be the most interesting, competitive election we've seen in a long time, and I wish both of you the best of luck!

Last edited:
If you were to coup TNP, how would you go about doing so?
This is a common question! I wrote a pretty good answer to this last time and in my opinion, my thoughts on this has not changed much. It is available here.
Very good answer, and this is true - @TlomzKrano running for re-election changes things. This may be the most interesting, competitive election we've seen in a long time, and I wish both of you the best of luck!
Thank you!

That scenario still gives me nightmares lol
I mean, in essence, it is the perfect coup. When coups are successful internationally, the last line there about “restoring order, not a coup” is generally what we’re going for!

Also feel free to ask me to DM you or something, but I am curious. What’s the Power20? In terms of TNP’s foreign policy, and perhaps your own should you be Delegate, how do they factor in to decision making?

NationStates is of course a game, and like with any game each of us "plays" it differently. I'm sure many would agree with me that there is a distinct style to the McM strategy or presence in TNP as far as that is concerned. With this in mind, how will your presence be similar and / or different from your past delegacies?

I had asked Tlomz a question regarding a question about culture, and I know you were there for the discussion and did say your thoughts, but I'd like to ask it here as well for you to elaborate on.

There was a recent discussion in the agora discord channel that showed a clear lack of direction in culture. It was an obvious cry for help and showed that the department lacks direction and a leader. What are your thoughts on that?

I mean, in essence, it is the perfect coup. When coups are successful internationally, the last line there about “restoring order, not a coup” is generally what we’re going for!

Also feel free to ask me to DM you or something, but I am curious. What’s the Power20? In terms of TNP’s foreign policy, and perhaps your own should you be Delegate, how do they factor in to decision making?

The Power20 is referring to a publication by NationStates Today that compiles the top 20 most powerful players in NationStates. It is safe to say a controversial piece usually and it comes under criticism each year. But, it also attracts a lot of readership and comments. So it goes.

Regarding the second part of your question, is this referring to the power 20? If so, the power 20 does not factor into my foreign policy at all. It is simply an opinion piece.

NationStates is of course a game, and like with any game each of us "plays" it differently. I'm sure many would agree with me that there is a distinct style to the McM strategy or presence in TNP as far as that is concerned. With this in mind, how will your presence be similar and / or different from your past delegacies?

Interesting question. I think we've all experienced a lot of growth in the past 8 months. When I left office, we were really in the first throws of covid 19 in the real world. We didn't know how long it would last for or what we were going to experience. Here we are 8 months later and the situation has not improved that much for many of us. We've had to search deep inside us for resilience that some of us may not have realised we had before. We've had to adapt the way we live, how we socialise and how we learn. It has changed us a lot. For me personally, I think I've spent a lot of time thinking about what I want and the kind of person I wish to be. I expect this will impact my approach as Delegate over the next four months.

Of course, I view serving as Delegate as the highest honour in our region and in this game. Therefore, I believe my style reflects that in my past service and I would continue to to treat the office with such gravity if I am elected again. I don't view the role as a position to be taken lightly. My leadership of the executive government aims to be the well researched, the most well informed, and to uphold pragmatic consensus based decision making to get the best possible outcomes for our community as a whole. This would also continue to be the case if I am elected again. I believe in governing for everyone and providing community based-grass roots leadership. In serving as that leader that makes each person and group feel included, that they have a voice, that this region is their home, and that their leader is accessible and available to them. With the impact of covid on our external lives, we need to provide leadership that makes our community stronger and provides more opportunities for people to distract themselves from the outside world when they wish to do so. To do this we need to ensure that all the arms of government are firing strongly and consistently, that we're innovating where possible, and creating new and satisfying ways for players to participate in our community. All in all, I think my style will be quite similar to previous years - focused on making our region the best it can be and our community the strongest it can be.

I had asked Tlomz a question regarding a question about culture, and I know you were there for the discussion and did say your thoughts, but I'd like to ask it here as well for you to elaborate on.

Thank you for this question. I think the discussion in the agora earlier really reflected what many have known for quite a while. That Culture this term has had an absentee Minister and a relative lack of direction otherwise from the executive. I feel Em's frustration as I have been in that position before, where you're left in the dark and not provided the guidance or support to get the Ministry where it needs to be. There are only so many levers that one guy can pull on his own.

In my view, Culture is a very important ministry. It is not a junior gig, or one that can be left to inactivity because interest lies elsewhere. I hope that next term, we're able to return Culture to its glory days of community building, new activities, and exciting rewards and initiatives for TNPers, so that nobody may experience what Em has in his position recently. When we have a vibrant Culture policy and Ministry, that pays dividends into other areas too. It supports the effort of Home Affairs to bring more people onto the forum and discord. It supports our foreign policy, when other regions can see the activities we are doing and wish to get involved. It gives people new avenues to explore their interests outside of their usual comfort zone. When we don't have a vibrant Culture Ministry, we miss out on all of those things, which is a great loss to our region and needs to be corrected.

To expand slightly upon the Cards section of my platform after speaking with DGES, an upcoming development program potentially even more beneficial than the Executive Cards Rewards program is currently being devised. This is an exciting initiative that will take approximately 1-2 months to implement. If I am elected, I would support this fully and will elaborate more in due course.

Secondly, if Season 3 does look like it will be making an appearance or even if it is rolled out next term, we will need to make some adjustments to the WADP and other card awards. This would essentially involve a scaling down of season 1 and 2 card awards and a scaling up of season 3 to take into account card production.

I'm really excited to see you run for Delegate this time! In the past, for every term with you has always been fun because you always bring something new to the table.

With you and TNP, it's always breaking records, new heights, and something ambitious and interesting.

Good luck!

I'm really excited to see you run for Delegate this time! In the past, for every term with you has always been fun because you always bring something new to the table.

With you and TNP, it's always breaking records, new heights, and something ambitious and interesting.

Good luck!
Thanks Yuno! Much appreciated :)

You are challenging one of the top 3 TNP Delegates of 2020. Scared much?

Back