In this Issue:

1. Dakota becomes Heiress Apparent
  2. Malphe's Recipe Corner
  3. Cursed Recipes with Skies
  4. Ham Steps Down and Ark Steps Up
  5. Osiris' First HOI4 Game
  6. Points Win Prizes
  7. Treaty of Tranquillity Repealed
Ambassador's note: this issue was edited to properly fit the TNP forum. Some content (just nation names) have been edited for clarity.

Dakota becomes Heiress Apparent
By Wymondham
On 10th July, Pharaoh Rigels Light nominated Guardian and Chief Vizier Valerievna (commonly known as Dakota) to serve as Heiress Apparent. Osiris was first blessed with Dakota's presence in December 2017, when they became The Galatic Order's ambassador, to Osiris. After realising how awesome Osiris was, (Minus the Resentine Kingdom ofc), Dakota became a citizen on August 29th 2018. Within just over 2 years they would become Heir Apparent; so, how did they rise through the ranks so quickly?

The Oracle talked to 4 people who have witnessed Dakota's rise, former Pharaohs Altinsane (Altino), Anabelle I, Ghostfox (Lynxi) and our reigning Pharaoh Rigels Light.

Altino's first impression of Dakota was extremely positive; "It's hard to remember what Peebs was like when they first came over, because I've known her for so long even before then. But they've got a way with people. They fit right in immediately and pretty much got straight to work as soon as they walked in the door. They were in Euro at the time, and we were having some fights with them, so I feel like we had every opportunity and reason to feel a little on edge about them, but no one ever did..."

Dakota rose swiftly through the ranks of the Gameside Affairs department. Lynxi, the vizier of Gameside Affairs at the time, recalls: "They entered the region with a pretty high level of motivation. I knew I could throw anything at her and it would be done well and on time, which is a quality that's sort've [sic] lacking in NS. A lot of people have to be coaxed into doing their jobs, but Peebs had as much, if not more, enthusiasm to get stuff done as me. They also came up with good ideas rather frequently, and I could always use them as a soundboard for anything I personally came up with. Plus they're a pebble so I could throw her at any of the other Gameside members if they weren't doing their job."

After Lynxi stepped down as Vizier of Gameside Affairs, Altino chose Dakota to take up their position on account of their sterling work in the department; they recall "I like to create good teams in the game. The whole Gameside setup that we did there was in huge part an effort to team Ham and Peebs up. They were both extremely capable and they both had the same sort of vibe. I wanted to create a pocket of opportunity for them both to shine, where Peebs could keep showing Ham the ropes and start her course toward bigger things and Ham could be trained to take over after them and walk the same kind of path. They're both great separately, but I thought they would be resplendent as a team, and so since I had an opportunity to elevate them both at once, that's what I did."

Following Altino's abdication and after serving in Gameside Affairs for a few months, during which they received the Sceptre of Aset for their contributions to the government, Dakota was elevated to the prestigious role of Chief Vizier by Lynxi. Lynxi felt that Dakota was dependable and possessed a wide-ranging skillset, commenting "I made Peebs my CV for a lot of the reasons I made them my GA Vizier. But by that point they had proved to me so thoroughly that I could depend on them for anything I needed that I felt they would be great for the role I envisioned the CV as. I needed a second in command, someone who would help me get the things done in all the departments, not just a specific one, and Peebs was the clear choice. And it shows, cos [sic] now they're HA."

Dakota would go on to serve as Chief Vizier for the remainder of Lynxi's reign as Pharaoh and for the entirety of Anabelle's succeeding reign; Anabelle comments "They were always eager to jump in and help. It didn't matter the department, wherever they were needed was where they were willing to be. They had good ideas on how to keep Osiris a healthy community, which is something I definitely valued."

Dakota would later twice ascend to the Council of Guardians. The first time under Anabelle in January of this year having being named first in the line of succession upon Rigel's ascension to the throne, and then again in July 2020 after stepping down to briefly to lend their significant R/D expertise to the Sekhmet Legion.

Having served Osiris in numerous official capacities and having made innumerable contributions to the community, Dakota was nominated to serve as Heiress Apparent and was confirmed by a unanimous vote (excluding abstentions) of the Council of Scribes on August 18th. Our illustrious Pharaoh, Rigels Light, provided the Oracle with the following exclusive statement on what made them pick Dakota as Heiress Apparent: "I knew they would be perfect because of their drive. Never one to let an obstacle slow her down, they've proven time and time again that they have the ambition and determination to bring Osiris into the future. They're focused, and with them, Osiris will go on to be bigger and better."

With their wealth of experience, commitment to the community and relentless drive, this correspondent is sure that Dakota is a truly exceptional pick as Heir Apparent and knows that, when the time eventually comes, they will prove to be a commendable successor to Rigel.

Malphe's Recipe Corner
By Malphe
THE SIMPLEST CHICKEN MARINADE

To understand how to make the “simplest” marinade you have to understand the chemistry behind marination. It’s more than just keeping the meat in a seasoned liquid purely for the taste; it should also help tenderize the meat and help keep the meat from drying out during the cooking process.
A marinade will usually need some kind of ACID (this can commonly be vinegar or lemon/lime juice) for weakening the proteins in the surface of the meat and to boost the flavour, FAT (usually oil of some kind but other good recipes I’ve made also use yoghurt) to help transfer fat soluble seasonings onto the surface of the meat, SALT to help the flavour penetrate and to loosen up the muscle fibres, SUGAR to help with the complexity of the flavour and lastly SEASONING so it actually tastes palatable. This recipe will be omitting the seasoning so you can choose that yourself.

INGREDIENTS, adjust as needed:

1 cup oil
, to provide fat
1/3 cup soy sauce, to provide salt, colour and a deeply savoury flavour (NOTE: soy sauce is very salty, there are low sodium options if that’s an issue)
1/2 cup vinegar, to provide acid
1/2 cup brown sugar, to provide sweetness
A generous dash of black pepper, because black pepper goes on everything and we want this to taste like *something* at least

STEPS:

Simply thoroughly mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and marinate your chosen slice of chicken in it for an amount of time in the refrigerator. This can be anything from half an hour to nearly a full day, but it's generally best to avoid exceeding 24 hours as to keep away from potential hygiene hazards.

NOTES:

Firstly, Marination only effects the surface of any meat so generally this will always work best in thin cuts of meat, not big roasts. These thin cuts can then be grilled or fried for a few minutes until cooked through. You can marinate for up to a day-ish before you start tempting fate with potential bacteria issues, personally I like to leave it for a few hours at most. I like to dice the chicken beforehand and skewer it with some vegetables; peppers and diced onions are a good choice!

As far as seasonings go you’ve got your pick of the litter with this recipe, by itself it will be moderately bland. Finely diced/granulated garlic + onion powder is a good combination, herbs such as parsley + thyme + rosemary aren’t a bad pick and I imagine chicken seasoning mixes (you should be able to find some kind of jerk seasoning in your local store) can go very well with it. Last time I made it with proper seasoning I used paprika, chilli powder, garlic powder and some parsley.

Lastly, it’s worth noting that imo you only need as much marinade as is required to fully coat the meat and no more than that, and as such unless you’re cooking for like 10 people you shouldn’t need nearly the proportions of ingredients I’ve listed.

That’s all folks, happy cooking <3

Cursed Recipes with Skies
By Luna State
Decaf Coffee Lemonade Garlic & Herb Pickle-Flavored Chips Pumpkin Spice Cheerios Shrimp Ramen Recipe

Ingredients

1 packet Instant Shrimp Ramen
Lemonade
Decaf Instant Coffee
Garlic & Herb Powder
Pickle-Flavored Potato Chips
Pumpkin Spice Cheerios

Prep Work

Remove the flavor packet from the ramen, and mix with 2 dashes of Garlic & Herb powder in a small bowl off to the side, this is now your Spice Mix
Pour some Pickle-Flavored Potato Chips and Pumpkin Spice Cheerios together in a plastic bag, then crush them into a coarse powder with a rolling pin, this is now your Seasoning Mix
Mix 1 ½ cup Water with half a spoon of Decaf Instant Coffee, this is your Coffee

Method

Pour ½ cup Lemonade and Coffee into pot, adding in a pinch of salt

Bring to a boil

Add in your Spice Mix and Ramen Noodles

Cook for 3 ½ minutes

Add in Seasoning Mix

Let simmer 4 minutes

Pour into bowl, let cool, and enjoy cold

Ham Steps Down and Ark Steps Up
By Valerievna

On November 28th 2018 Ham (AKA Lukatonia) was appointed to the Council of Viziers as Sub-Vizier of Gameside Affairs. In the spirit of meritocracy Ham was eventually later promoted into Viziership of Gameside Affairs where he served admirably for over a year. Along the way, he was honoured with the Scepter of Aset by Hasal-Pharaoh Anabelle Halohin (]Anabelle I) in addition to becaming a Guardian in February of 2020. After near two years of being a wonderful help to Osiris and her community Ham decided to step down from both the Council of Viziers and Council of Guardians (CoG); everyone in Osiris is very thankful to Ham for the time and effort he's put into Osiris since joining and wish him well with his future NS adventures!

That said, with Ham resigning Osiris was in need of a third Guardian. Naturally the CoG has to have at least one animal friend at all times, and Ark (Arkadia Universalis) fit the bill perfectly. Having been nominated by Pharaoh Rigel on September 9, Ark was unanimously confirmed by the Council of Scribes on the 17th. Ark provided the Oracle with the following exclusive statement: "I am humbled that Rigel and the Osiran citizenry have invested their trust in me by granting me this responsibility. I am incredibly proud to serve the region as a Guardian and hope that my service will prove valuable to the region for the foreseeable future."

The Oracle wishes to extend a warm welcome to Ark and wish them well in their service on the Council of Guardians!

Osiris' First HOI4 Game
By Dragonian Alliance

On the 22nd of August 2020 three Osirans found themselves transported to an alternative history of World War Two. Res found himself as the leader of Spain, Ikania (Ike) found himself as the Dictator of Italy and, lastly, Dragonian Alliance (Draco Drake) found himself as Wilhelm II. The three decided to try to restore the monarchies of Europe or die trying, because that would be incredibly fun.

On the 26th of May 1936, Kaiser Drake prepared his country for a civil war. Ethiopia was soon annexed by Ike before he was safely warped back to the present day. Germany had hopes to end the war in a hundred days. The civil war would not end till May 1937. The Spanish Civil War had by this point devolved into a slog against Republicans supplied by Russian industry. December 1937, Kaiser Drake sits upon the German throne while Res is forced to abandon northwest Spain. Res was soon forced to flee to Hungary with plans to assume the Austro-Hungarian crown.

By January 1939, Res had safely established himself in Hungary with promises from Kaiser Drake to assist in his reclamation of Austria. The year was not even half done when Hungarian and German volunteers marched into Vienna. Soon Res declared himself heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne. The United Kingdom in response set upon a path to establish a Fascist government to contain this new threat. Germany, uncaring of Allied posturing, established the last piece of their anti-bolshevik bulwark by Halloween, establishing the Osiran League. The year was coming to a close as the monarchies of Europe dreamed of wars with Poland and Romania before the USSR even thought of attacking their eastern border.

Soon after the year passed into 1940, Res noticed Romania was establishing a communist government. The War for Romania was soon declared and everything fell apart. Within a hundred days all of Central Europe, Japan, Brazil, and Portugal were united in the Osiran League against Italy and the Comintern. The League’s Office of Special Intelligence, Reconnaissance, and Internal Security was placed under Austro-Hungarian leadership. In the chaos, two German armies were lost reclaiming Austria from Italian control. The Great War had started with Germany and her allies on the backfoot.

Throughout 1940, the Osiran League pushed back communist forces in Romania, then Spain. Italy was soon brought to heel when the Allies joined the fight, allowing German forces to take Sicily. Rome fell not long after Sicily. The Osirans and Allies later defeated the USSR. War with the Allies quickly followed. France was quickly overwhelmed fighting a war on three fronts. The UK was unable to move the Royal Navy in time to prevent Osiran naval invasions in Scotland and Cornwall. The Germans and Austro-Hungarians soon took Britain for themselves. The United States was the only major Ally left with Mexico holding the Osiran line alone. In a bold move, Kaiser Drake ordered seven armies to swim to America or die trying. The US, distracted by German submarines, failed to prevent the landing of the armies. Kaiser Drake with Austro-Hungarian light tanks fought a long war, but eventually took all fifty states. The Peace treaty brought Res and Draco Victory with the reclamation of the French, British, Russian, and Spanish crowns with Austria-Hungary leaving Australia to the Emus.

Points win Prizes!
By Swebtartd
In an effort to boost activity in Osiris, the Community Affairs department has started a new program that is rewarding citizens for participating in their government. Citizens are awarded points for their efforts in certain tasks. Many of these tasks are simple, with some asking to participate in the forum (1.75 pts) and voting on legalization (5 pts). However, the hardest working citizens will be awarded more points on more difficult tasks such as hosting a game night (50 pts) and writing a WA recommendation (40 pts). In the spoilers below are a full list of activities and their value in points.

Activity Points:
Monthly points do not carry over but are added to cumulative yearly total
Discord Points:.0.5 points per post
Excess messages do not carry over to next month. Awards removed/messages reset on the 1st of each month.
Forum Points:
1.75 points per post
Legislation Points:
5 points: Voting
Competition Points
Competition Entry: 5 points
Competition Win: 25 points
Festival Participation Points:
Joining Festival Server: 10 points
Festival Participation (being active, chatting, participating in events etc.): 20 per day
Winning Festival Competition: Variable
Civil Service Points
Daily Activities
Send the Welcome Message to a New Citizen (CA) 10
Play Spam Games on the Forums (CA) 10
Respond to a New Introduction Thread on the Forum (CA) 10
Alert FA or GA When a Proposal hits Quorum (FA/GA) 10
Submit a Question of the Day Idea (GA) 10
Answer the Question of the Day (GA) 10
Submit a Discord Quote (GA) 10
Weekly Activities
Host a Game/Trivia Night (CA) 50
Submit a Poll Idea (GA) 20
Monthly Activities
Write an Oracle Article (CA) 35
(For Diplomats) Provide an Update on your Assignment (FA) 35
Write a Region-Wide Recruitment Telegram (GA) 30
Sporadic (May Require Vizier Approval)
Participate in a Festival (CA) 15
Help Organise a Festival (CA) 25-50
Contribute a Sounds of Osiris Playlist (CA) 5
Write a WA Recommendation (FA/GA) 40
Participate in WA Discussions (FA/GA) 10
Draft a New Treaty (FA) 45
Write a New Welcome Telegram (GA) 30

These points are calculated at the end of every month which are later added up to a yearly total. At the end of every year, citizens with the most points will be given rewards. These rewards will vary depending on the time. For example, monthly rewards vary from signature badges, banners, and Discord roles. Yearly rewards may involve forum flair badges, special yearbook sections, graphic requests, and more. Interested in participating? Click here. (Hint: You need to apply for citizenship here to be accepted.

Treaty of Tranquillity Repealed
By Ikania
Last month, Osiris officially brought the Treaty of Tranquillity, the region's alliance with The East Pacific (TEP), to an end. The treaty, having stood for only six months, provided for mutual diplomatic recognition and a commitment to sharing defence and intelligence responsibilities. The repeal was ratified by the Council of Scribes on August 17th, and the formal assent was given by Pharaoh Rigel on September 15th.

It is understood that The East Pacific has made made many questionable moves on the world stage, as of late. The termination of the treaty, with formal diplomatic relations being retained, comes on the heels of several diplomatic incidents between the two regions. It is further understood that Osiris has recently developed concerns around TEP's reliability as an ally, and wishes not to anchor the region to TEP via treaty until there is more confidence in their government's actions.

Editor's notes:
Although published in October, the vast majority of this issue was written in mid-September, with the publication of this issue delayed due to N-Day. A full report of Ba Sing Se's remarkable success at coming 3rd with 0 radiation, with our allies in the Augustin Alliance coming 1st, will be available in the next issue.
The Oracle staff consists of multiple writers and editors with diverse backgrounds and political ideologies. As such, this publication is representative of multiple perspectives within Osiris that may not necessarily reflect that of the Pharaoh or other government officials.

Back