Cretox

Somehow, Palpatine has returned
TNP Nation
Cretox State
Discord
Cretox#0125
mowa_seal.png

Opening Address - September 2020

Hello all! While I'll generally be sticking to the office for announcements, I feel that an opening address warrants its own thread.

First off, I'd like to warmly thank my predecessors @mcmasterdonia and @Morover for their invaluable guidance and support these past few months. You have both done a remarkable job, even though the circumstances of this last term were anything but ideal. If not for you, I wouldn't be where I am now. I'd also like to thank @TlomzKrano for entrusting me with the position of Minister of World Assembly Affairs. A veteran of this position and this Ministry, Tlomz has crafted a platform that outlines an actionable vision for World Assembly Affairs and the Executive as a whole, and I have full faith that he and his cabinet choices will lead this region well.

My overarching goal for this term is to ensure that we effectively capitalize on the full extent of resources available to this Ministry. This goes hand in hand with critically evaluating existing programs and systems, and determining whether they are set up in a viable manner that is of benefit to TNP. We're entering this term with an extremely punctual IFV release history and opening of voting threads. We can expand on that success. We're entering this term with a motivated, enthusiastic staff, and with strong diplomatic partnerships through WALL and elsewhere. We can leverage these resources to greater effect. I couldn't ask for a better foundation going into this term, so let's build on it.

Without further ado, here are specific points I want to make progress on:
  • Steady and Punctual Release of IFVs
    • We've seen what timely release of IFVs can look like last term, and I have to give huge credit to @Morover for facilitating that. I fully intend to keep this up throughout the current term.
    • I see quite a bit of potential in expanding IFVs as a tool to increase activity of newer staff, and in engaging with our allies through WALL about IFVs and our general stances on upcoming proposals. Increasing WALL activity is an important objective of mine, but more on that later.
    • Additionally, drafting IFVs earlier and with more authors taking on the task of writing them, along with internally discussing proposals earlier and more frequently, would definitely serve to increase activity and make things run that much more smoothly.
  • Voting Threads
    • I'm pleased to say that voting threads last term have been just as punctual as our IFVs overall. This is important, and something that will be continued throughout this term.
    • However, there's definitely room for improvement here, moreso than with IFVs. While I wouldn't under any circumstances suggest that people start competing to open votes, I will make every effort to encourage regular staffers to open threads. I'm very pleased to see staffers like @saintpeter and @Honeydewistan already taking the initiative and opening votes.
    • Most of us aren't watching our voting threads 24/7, and it can be very easy for a thread to sit there after the conclusion of ingame voting, still saying "In Queue" and having no IFV attached to it. To that end, Deputy Ministers now have mod power in this subforum. The role of a Deputy now includes monitoring the subforum and making sure thread titles, IFVs, and vote tallies are up to date.
    • Last term, I introduced a modified voting thread format as Deputy. I'm a bit surprised myself that it's now apparently the go-to, but I came up with the format for a reason, and I'm happy my baby is being used. :D
    • Turnout for voting threads is in a good place going into the new term, and the discussions happening there are essential. More people articulating their positions rather than just stating their votes would definitely be a good thing, but we're hardly in a bad spot with that.
    • From here on out, threads for at-vote proposals will be pinned.
  • The Symposium
    • The 2020 World Assembly Symposium was easily a highlight of last term, and it's provided us with a substantial amount of content going into this term. One of our first projects will be to collate the four Symposium essays we have and put together an overview of the daily panels for TNL and TNS publication, respectively. We will also be working with Comms to advertise the recently posted NBS show that capped off the event.
    • Reaching out to prominent GA and SC figures to gauge interest in writing and publishing pieces during the term could further bolster our TNL releases and our position in the WA.
  • WALL
    • WALL is undeniably an arrangement of great mutual benefit, but it simply isn't living up to its full potential at the moment.
    • WALL provides us with an opportunity to formulate opinions and polish IFVs in collaboration with our allies, as well as directly contribute to the voting positions of other regions. While Forest potentially joining WALL at some point in the future could inject new activity, we have all the tools we need right now to make that activity happen.
  • The Sponsorship Program
    • The Sponsorship Program in its current state, to put it bluntly, is of no practical benefit to the region or to the authors it's supposed to help. As it stands, Sponsorship is either unneeded to get an already good proposal to pass, or a waste of time on half-baked ideas that will never progress beyond that. Many new authors don't know it exists. One of my first policy objectives is reworking the Sponsorship program into something that solidifies our position as a leader in the WA and actually helps aspiring authors.
  • WA Telegrams Rewrite
    • As @Nimarya articulated in her opening address, revising and updating Ministry recruitment telegrams is one of the goals of Home Affairs this term. This is something I look forward to working on in the coming weeks.
  • Heroes of the North
    • Like every MoWAA since the dawn of time, I intend to get HotN off the ground this term. My plan on this front is to assign one person to oversee each C/C, and establish a concrete timeline for getting each proposal drafted one by one with broader Ministry assistance. I would also like to have a new channel set up in the Executive Discord for this purpose.
  • UCR Outreach
    • One of Tlomz's focuses has been reaching out to interested User-Created Regions to strengthen ties and develop lasting relationships concerning the WA. I think this concept has significant potential, and am keenly interested in working to make it a reality.
  • Deputy Ministers
    • The role of a Deputy in World Assembly Affairs has been largely administrative- opening votes, sending out IFVs, etc. Deputy responsibilities could very well expand this term; they already have somewhat due to Deputies now having mod authority in this subforum. In that vein, I will be continuously monitoring how the existing Deputies are holding up and gauging possible need for additional Deputies as the term progresses.
  • Cards
    • Last but certainly not least, there has been discussion prior to and during the election about building on the recently established Home Affairs card rewards program and creating an inter-ministry card rewards infrastructure. This is quite a lofty goal, but should have pronounced positive effects if it gets off the ground. Coming up with an outline of rewardable actions will be one of the first steps here.
Once again, I'm immensely grateful to have been given this chance, and look forward to working with you all! Current Deputy Ministers are @Robespierre, @Fregerson, and (oath pending) @Bormiar- they have all have experience as Deputies in this Ministry or in WA-related roles in other regions, and they have proven themselves to be capable in these sorts of positions. We have an excellent foundation going into these four months, so let's make them count.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m excited to be working with you for the foreseeable future, Cretox. You’ve done good work during your tenure as a Deputy Minister of World Assembly Affairs for many months now, so I’m glad to see that you’re being given the opportunity to step up and become a Minister yourself.

Much deserved. Now, let’s get to it!

Tlomz's campaign mentioned :

• ate Proposal drafting and brainstorming/idea sharing sections within our exec discord and on the forums as well as utilize those already established.
  • Encourage more work with WALL authors and the knowledge base we support there, especially for authors and aspiring staffers who wish to gain additional experience
Are these two going to be achieved in the near future?

Last edited:
Are these two going to be achieved in the near future?
Excellent question! The primary question that determines the success of programs like Sponsorship and internal/WALL drafting areas is: "What do these programs offer that people can't find elsewhere?" When it comes to these specific programs in their current state, I've been struggling to answer this question for a while now. As I said in my address, sponsorship in its current form doesn't really offer anything that people can't find on the gameside WA subforum. However, I believe it can be reworked, and I'll be releasing details on my plan for that fairly soon. Encouraging more work with WALL authors starts with increasing WALL activity as a whole, which is as easy as sharing IFVs and positions with WALL on a regular basis. As for dedicated drafting areas within the Executive Discord: it's something to consider, but hardly a priority in my eyes. The best work on drafts comes from personal interaction between authors, not from forum drafting. I'd prefer to start with sponsorship and take it one step at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back