Status
Not open for further replies.

Morover

Primarily a Lurker
TNP Nation
Morover
Civil Rights - Mild
The World Assembly,

Recognizing that victimless crimes are not a crime comparable to violent crimes such as homicide or manslaughter,

Wishing to minimize the punishment that those who participate in victimless crimes undergo,

Believing that the possession of recreational drugs is an utmost example of a victimless crime,

Hereby,

1. Defines "drug possession" as the possession or use of any recreational drug without intent to sell or distribute;
  2. Mandates that no individual shall face criminal punishment for drug possession unless otherwise explicitly allowed by this resolution;
  3. Allows member-states to require mandatory rehabilitation for individuals, so long as the member-state shall cover all costs for said rehabilitation, and it does not create an undue burden on the individual, nor does it require permanent housing or public shame of the individual;
  4. Further allows the confiscation of recreational drugs;
  5. Requires member-states to expunge all criminal records that have to do with drug possession;
  6. Further requires member-states to end the prior incarceration of individuals who have been charged with drug possession;
  7. Clarifies that individuals charged with other crimes on top of drug possession may have their sentences for the unrelated crimes continued, but any extension of the sentence that may have been a result of drug possession must be negated;
  8. Demands that any fines or similar that were given as criminal punishment of drug possession must be given back to the individual who paid the fine within a reasonably timely manner.
NS thread - https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=484015

Last edited:
I would like to disagree with this proposed resolution. You cannot say that taking drugs is a victimless crime. If you only know the root of all crimes is the drugs. This is so irrational.

I would like to disagree with this proposed resolution. You cannot say that taking drugs is a victimless crime. If you only know the root of all crimes is the drugs. This is so irrational.
I'm honestly kinda confused what you're trying to say here - your argument is nonsensical, at best.

However, if I do understand your argument correctly, I raise to you the same argument I made in the thread on NS forums:
Rehabilitation is proved to be more effective than incarceration ("In order for deterrence to work though, it must be true that individuals engage in a decision-making process before committing crimes, but this assumption does not hold true for many drug-related offenses."). Ending the incarceration (and other criminal punishments of drug possession) doesn't increase drug rates - especially if nations require mandatory rehabilitation for addicts, as is allowed by this proposal.

We should be strict about these drugs. It is better to ban them than to rehabilitate drug addicts in the future. This is just my opinion.

We should be strict about these drugs. It is better to ban them than to rehabilitate drug addicts in the future. This is just my opinion.
Did you, uh, read the article I posted? Deterrence is far less effective than rehabilitation. If you wish to run your nation ineffectively, then you can be my guest, but I see no reason not to try and reduce tyranny that results from banning something that is inherently victimless crime, regardless of what you say. I'd be more inclined to listen if you had evidence backing your claims, honestly.

This is really insane. Now given that this resolution will not penalize those who possess drugs I think it will be better if you add in this proposed resolution the considerable amount of drugs that one person must possess to avoid drug addiction. In reality may I remind you that drug possession is considered as crime. However, it depends on the body if they are going to approve this proposed resolution.

This is really insane. Now given that this resolution will not penalize those who possess drugs I think it will be better if you add in this proposed resolution the considerable amount of drugs that one person must possess to avoid drug addiction. In reality may I remind you that drug possession is considered as crime. However, it depends on the body if they are going to approve this proposed resolution.
I literally have no idea what you're trying to say here. If you can put together something more coherent in rebuttal to the proposal, I'll take the time to create an in-depth response.

I will not vote for this resolution. However, if you can provide me the legal bases of this proposal then maybe I will change my mind.

I will not vote for this resolution. However, if you can provide me the legal bases of this proposal then maybe I will change my mind.
I provided you with a research paper done on the most effective method of dealing with drug abuse, and you disregarded that.

Any critiques on the draft beyond the fact that it's subjectively undesirable is still welcome, by the way!

My point here is if we illegalize drugs then no rehabilitation will be done in the future. We must not tolerate drug use and drug possession. I believe your proposal is good but sometimes we must consider the legality of it and this will not be based only on researches.

My point here is if we illegalize drugs then no rehabilitation will be done in the future. We must not tolerate drug use and drug possession. I believe your proposal is good but sometimes we must consider the legality of it and this will not be based only on researches.
Okay let me put this in the simplest terms I can:

Arrest people for drug possession = bad and not effective
Rehabilitate people who possess drugs = good!!! highly effective!!!

This is 100% legal.

Yeah I believe in your point what I am trying to say is that we must limit the amount of drugs that one person must possess to control their addiction in the future

Yeah I believe in your point what I am trying to say is that we must limit the amount of drugs that one person must possess to control their addiction in the future
This allows for the confiscation of drugs, and, as mentioned previously, incarceration does not significantly reduce the number of drugs in circulation.

Okay if you think.that this is for good then let us ask our other member nations on their opinion regarding this proposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back