Wonderess

"I will be true to you whatever comes."
-
-
TNP Nation
Castle in Confidence
Discord
.wonderess
When Dominic awoke, all he could see were the stars. Everything was quiet . . . eerily so. There was a twinge of nausea and disorientation that were beginning to subside. Slowly he started to hear a soft swishing noise. It was constant, soft, and not menacing. Dominic sat up to find that he was on a beach. There were waves slowly lapping onto the sandy shore. All around him there were bits of wreckage, but he didn't know where they had come from. In fact he couldn't remember how he got there either or where in fact he even was. As the panic began to set it he rose to his feet and looked more closely at his surroundings. There was a sign about 10 feet away that he approached to get some information. To his surprise, it was written in a language he didn't recognize. Where was he??? Nothing looked familiar, and seeing the sign showed that this was nowhere near familiar, not that he knew where home was. There was nothing. Any memory before waking up was just gone.

Suddenly he saw a light. It bobbled and weaved slowly closer to him. He didn't think the situation could get much worse so he moved towards it following parallel to the water. As the light got closer he realized that it was a woman with a lantern of some sort. She looked at him in surprise. That surprise soon turned to frustration and she began speaking in an unknown language very quickly. Dominic started waiving his hands and speaking, but the lady just looked at him and shook her head. She was pointing away from the beach as if she wanted him to leave. Dominic knew he needed help, but he didn't know how to make her understand. He suddenly realized that he knew one other language that he could try. Mar? Melanese? Mudic? Mositif? MERCANTI!He began just saying the word "help" in Mercanti, and suddenly the lady seemed to understand.

"I know Mercanti a little," she said. "What are you doing on beach? Too late! Too late!"

"I don't know ma'am. I just woke up here and I don't know where I am or what I am doing here."

"You one of those drunks from Deveron here for celebration of the studies?"

"What? I don't know what Deveron even is." The lady began walking in a circle around him as if looking for something.

"Where your rod? You get drunk and lose it?"

"Please, I dont know what rod you are talking about. I dont know where I am or even where I came from, and I need help. Is there someone I can talk to?" She looked at him as if he were completely foreign. After a few moments she finally took him by the wrist and lead him away from the waters.

"We see district keeper now." District keeper? Dominic didn't know what that was, but it sounded important. The lady led him to a strange looking car. It had wheels and a body, but it was ornately designed with what looked like figures near the front of the car reaching ahead and winged beasts near the back kneeling on one leg with their arms across their chests. The lady took what looked like a stick which was hanging on a rope around her waste and tapped it against the car. The car immediately unlocked and the lights flashed. She motioned for him to get in. Dominic didnt ask any questions. They drove for about 10 minutes before reaching a building with white columns with a glass front wall, a unique mixture of what looked like old and new architecture styles. The lady used the same stick when we got to the front door to unlock it by touching a pad with it next to the door. Inside was a two story open space with white statues leading to a dual staircase that had at its top two ornate doors. The rod lady pushed a button near the bottom of the staircase and spoke some words in that odd language, and a few moments after a man came out the double doors. He was wearing a ringlet about his head of what looked like silver along with draped cloth that formed some sort of tunic. He had an amused look on his face and he slowly descended the staircase never breaking eye contact with Dominic. The stick lady spoke more to him, and he nodded before speaking in clear Mercanti.

"What business do you have here, boy?" Dominic paused trying to consider such a blunt question.

"I- I'm just trying to figure out where I am, and where I'm supposed to be."

"Well on the beaches at this hour is certainly not the answer. Were you not taught the importance of temperance or orderliness. I can tell you are not of this area." He gave a quick look at Dominic's clothes. "Not from this area at all."

"I'm sorry. I have no idea how I got there, and I don't know what to do now. My head is just empty right now. Forgive me, but who are you and where am I exactly." The man's eyes narrowed.

"I am Keeper Lucarus of the District Guiles."

"Is Guiles the town or?" The Keeper sighed in disbelief.

"We do not have towns here. We arent like those other places in the world where things are so simply stated. Guiles is a part of the Republic."

"What Republic?"

"Why the Republic of Mitial of course!" Dominic wasn't any less confused than he was before. All these words and names just sounded like made up names to him.

"So this is a country called Mitial?" Lucarus started laughing along with the lady.

"No my friend. You really show your origins with such silly questions. Mitial is a republic among republics which united together in glorious perpetual union create the Coalition of the Republics, and as one of four voices the great chorus song is sung in sweet melody to bring forth eternal Grecoideatia!" Dominic suddenly felt a spark of recognition. Yes! He has heard of Grecoideatia before. It was a mysterious nation he remembers, one that not many understand or ever visited . . . until now.

"It's . . . so far away."

"What's that, boy?"

"I remember Grecoideatia being far far away from wherever it is I'm from. I'm Dominic by the way, not boy."

"I'm Lucia," the lady said. Dominic nodded with a smile. Lucarus showed a look of fear and concern.

"Well, Dominic," he struggled with the name as if it was completely foreign, "I have never had a case like yours before me. There is a very orderly and precise code we follow for conflicts and difficulties. Honestly, there are no particular statutes dealing with randomly appearing amnesiacs which means we must see a higher authority."

"Who would that be?" asked Dominic.

"Well the next level up is the Duke of the Republic." Lucia's eyes lit up with excitement.

"Keeper, are you sure it is wise at this hour?"

"Lucia, we dont know where the bo- I mean Dominic is from and neither does he it seems. You know how rare a foreigner is especially one not from a neighboring entity."

"That's true."

"Prepare our transportation to Mitial Core. You will be a part of my delegation, Lucia, as you were the one who found him. We need as much information as possible so that the Duke makes the best decision for the Republic."

"Yes, Keeper, I will prepare my chariot immediately. We should be able to be at Mitial Core within the hour." Lucarious looked at Dominic with a smile that almost seemed filled with pity.

"This is just the rule, Dominic. I am sure everything will be fine so long as we stick to it and cling faithfully to order inside and outside." Dominic blinked. He though of how odd these people were. It was as if everything was said in prose. The three then left the columned building and returned to Lucia's chariot as they called it. After a while, the character of the surroundings began turning more and more urban. There was a city with a hill in its center. There was a white building on top with a pool illuminated in white light. It had the same style as the Keeper's building but more studious looking. Lucarious pointed at it.

"There is the Fortress of Mitial, the center of Mitial Core. That's where the good Duke presides. I've alerted him to our situation, and he is expecting us." Dominic didn't know why, but those words mage him feel a tinge of fear.

610ca8eeaf0c4f8ca3cc955ef7892b2e.jpg

The Fortress of Mital
kj1J04O.png

Grecoideatia in white and gold
Coalition of Republics in gold

yJqMRNz.png

Republic of Mitial in Red

2vKtbkS.png

The District of Guiles in green

Last edited:
The inside of the Fortress of Mitial was just as white as the exterior had been. Lucarus was pacing in the large bright hall as if in thought while Lucia stood very still looking straight ahead in a state fo what looked like fear. Dominic didn't know what to expect, but the longer they stood in that oversized waiting room the faster his mind raced. Eventually they were led into a very nice office which had a view overlooking the metro. The aid that had led them there nodded and told them it would only be a moment longer.

Neoclassical-Office-Room.jpg

Soon after a man entered the room. His apparel was very similar to Lucarus, but his ringlet was gold rather than silver and his draped tunic was lined with gold. He entered the room with a confident stride as it he knew that he was in control of the situation, and that he was used to being on top. Lucarus stepped forward to greet the Duke. He used his native language and gave a slight bow. The Duke nodded, but then focused on Dominic.

"Hello, Dominic. I am Duke Reredis, the one chosen to keep safe the Mitial Republic. My brother in service, the good Keeper here has, told me of this very odd predicament. I have directed the authorities in Guiles to goo to the beach where you were to collect any clues that can help us in this case. We are not so used to outsiders, and so seeing that you are obviously not of our people this issue is very important to us."

"Could he perhaps be from one of the further reaches of Grecoideatia?" Lucia asked. Reredis smiled noticing her for the first time.

"My good watcher, I can assure you that the accent, clothing, and general demeanor of this boy is not consistent with any part of our dear nation. I have searched through the records of the collective republics, and it seems there was a case similar to this in 1785. A foreign woman had crossed the border in the Lysil Republic looking for asylum from a now long gone nation who was arresting all religious deviants within their borders. It was decided that such an issue was to be sent to the Coalition level of deliberation. The ArchDuke of Jerdoe and the Republican Court set it that the foreigner may choose to spend the remainder of life in Grecoideatia or be expelled and never return."

"And this is a Coalition statute or was it ever translated to the whole union?" inquired Lucarus.

"It became union wide a year later as the matter was settled in a session at Sophia. It is called the Sanctuary Clause. All 4 subjects of Sophia and the Free State are bound to it."

"So the ArchDuke must be involved as well," Lucia said.

"Ever higher we go," sighed Lucarus. Reredis moved towards his computer.

"It will take about three days to meet with the ArchDuke given how busy he is in this season. It can be quite difficult to meet with a statesman. Dominic, I now will place you directly under the domain of the Mitial Republican government."Reredis moved his tunic to reveal that he too had a stick. He moved to raise it but then frowned. "Of course, you dont have a wand or any seal for that matter. If you are to function in the Coalition of Republics you must obtain a seal."

"Wand?" started Dominic. "Are there wizards here?" Everyone just stared at him not knowing how to respond.

"Wizards? There is no such thing as magic or necromancy, boy! What a fantastical notion." The Duke seemed to come alive. He answered the question as if someone had asked him if the son was cold. Lucarus led Dominic to the couch at the other end of the office and sat him down.

"Dominic, we don't know where you are from, but there are some things about our union you must know that may sound odd to you as an outsider. Every person in Grecoideatia has what we call a seal. It is an object that is unique to them and is used for everyday purposes. The Coalition of the Republics is the land of wands. We all have our own wand that is helps us to express who and what we are in the whole of our respective republics. It is our highest form of expression and personal knowing, and it is something that we prize deeply throughout our life."

"Oh, I see." Dominic recognized Lucarus's serious tone, and he now realized he was in one of those situations where a wrong response could anger people. Duke Reredis wrote on a pad at his desk and then handed Dominic the paper.

"This note is to issue for you a wand. There is a wandsmith near the fortress. Tomorrow, you can acquire one. You three can all stay here in the fortress in the guest chambers until morning." Once everyone said their goodnights, Dominic was led to a nice room that was also as he expected white. When he was alone, he sat in a chair and felt the tears come to his eyes. Nothing made sense anymore, and as he moved deeper and deeper into all this his past self seemed to only move further away from his memory. All he wanted was normalcy and to be wherever it is he was supposed to be. He couldn't focus to hard on it or he can feel himself losing his coherence. He had to push through because maybe the only was back was through. This ArchDuke person sounds like he could help, but all it had been thus far is handoffs and appeals to another person. He wanted to find himself again, but he didn't know how or where. He moved to the bed and decided he would just keep going through. He had to be strong if he wanted to get any answers. His thoughts drifted until sleep finally came upon him.

ftUKggF.png

Dominic's path is RED
Mitial Core is BLUE
The black point denotes the location of the Fortress of Midial

The night came and went, another day. Dominic arose feeling groggy. It took him a moment to remember where he was, but then it all came back to him, the beach, the good Keeper, Lucia, and his journey to Mitial Core. He sat there for about 20 minutes when there was a knock at the door. He answered to find a girl he had never seen before. She introduced herself as Clarida, an aid to the Duke of Mitial. He was given clothes that matched the rest of the people which included the same draped tunic style in white with a belt that had an empty notch on it, obviously meant to hold a wand. He was eventually led to a dining room where everyone else was seated. Duke Reredis saw him first and invited him to sit in the empty chair next to him near the end of the table.

"I do hope you were able to sleep well. We know this can't be easy for you, but we do wish to make it easier for you."

"It was just fine, thank you errr." Dominic never quite heard how to address Reredis, and he looked down the table to Lucarus for help.

"Ah," Reredis realized the issue, "let's see, in Mercanti I believe Districtman will do."

"Districtman?"

"Yes yes. You see we call the five leaders one from each state of Grecoideatia the Statesmen even though they have their unique titles. I as a direct servant of the Archduke of the Republics am allowed the title of Districtman." The breakfast offered was fish and potatoes along with water. There was nothing fancy about it, but it was filling. Lucarus and Lucia rose when they were finished.

We must be returning now, Districtman," stated Lucarus, "it is not good that I be kept from my Keeper duties for too long." Reredis nodded in agreement.

"Very good, Lucarus, I will have your chariot be brought around." Dominic felt a panic run through him. These were the people that settled him and now they were leaving him with these strange people? Lucarus and Lucia left quickly thereafter without saying goodbye.

"Is there something wrong, Dominic?" Dominic had been staring and the Duke had noticed.

"I wanted to at least tell them goodbye." The Duke looked puzzled by this as if that was a concept that he rarely considered.

"Very well, you can go to catch them in the main gallery as they await their chariot." Dominic hurried back to the main hall where he had waited to see Reredis the night before. Lucarus and Lucia seemed surprised to see him.

"Something you forget?" asked Lucia.

"I just wanted to thank you both for what you have done for me. I've gotten to this point because of both of you." They both stared at him awkwardly.

"Dominic, my dear boy, why are you thanking us when we merely do what we must have done. The only person worthy of thanks is the God our good, the Lord of all that is orderly and right. We need not gratitude for doing what we were meant to." Lucarus was smiling as if amused. Lucia just seemed utterly confused to the situation. They said their goodbyes and departed. Dominic was left feeling cold and isolated things were making less and less sense overtime. The girl who had knocked on his door earlier, Clarida, came to him in the hall. She looked to be about nineteen years old. Dominic was also nineteen. The girl approached him quickly as if she was in a hurry. Now that he realized it, everyone moved as if they were in a hurry.

"The Duke has ordered me his loyal hand to assist you in acquiring a wand." Dominic nodded and went with her, defeated. He needed to do something to take his mind off of this isolation that threatened to crush him. Clarida led them to another chariot, but this one had a seal on the doors. It was a hand coming from a could holding what looked like a club. They drove into the metro down the mountain from the fortress. Dominic saw people walking along the sidewalks all dressed similarly in their drapes. The stopped in front of an unsuspecting store about eleven blocks from the Fortress of Mitial.

"I will speak to the Artisan myself in Greco and translate in Mercanti. Most artisans don't know Mercanti so anytime you wish to go out be sure to bring an official translator or aid with you." They entered the shop where there were different sorts of sticks on stands everywhere. Some were made of metal others of wood. There were also plastic looking ones. There was an overwhelming amount of choices. Clarida talked to the lady in the store in what he assumed was Greco. After a while he was instructed to look around and find something. Some of the sticks had jewels or rocks that adorned them, but that didn't seem like him. Others were just simply sticks with nothing special about them which seemed too simple. Finally, there was on display a wand that caught his eye near the middle of the store. It was made of a dark wood and had a design that resembled an elegant spiral. He spent some time holding it and seeing it on his belt and finally decided to go with it. He showed the Artisan and she took the rod. It was placed on a platform that lit up. She asked Clarida for something, and then Clarida tapped her wand against another panel. Her wand was silver with white lines moving in a pattern up the rod.

"My wand contains the information needed to connect the want to your person. It also has the order from the Duke to issue you one." The process lasted about 20 seconds and then he was handed the wand. He felt a bit better. Now he had something everyone also had. He started feel like someone who belong and not just a kid found on a beach. They returned to the fortress just in time for lunch. This time there was soup and salad with water and wine, once again not the worst but also not the greatest. The duke after ushered him into his office.

"Alright Dominic, now that you have a wand of your own we can get you in the system. It is always good to have everyone in their right place. We have a very good system for all that." He placed his wand on a platform similar to the one at the wand store which immediately lit up. He said some words in Greco but the word that sounded like Mercanti was used.

"I've asked Diametra to allow for Mercanti inputs so you can interact with her. All of the Republics are connected by Diametra which is our program used for keeping up our data, statutes, and all other things needed for a functional society. If you would, please place your wand on the node, Dominic. Excellent. Diametra, please add Dominic here to the Duke's household."

"Achieved, Districtman Reredis."

"There we are, you are now a part of the Duke's estate which gives you the status and protection you need so we can move forward. I hope you know, that you are welcome here, this is to say, you belong." Dominic gave a big sigh of relief. He finally saw a reason to hope.

0487f92bf5c636c11387f19683339e60cd698ffa_hq.jpg

Last edited:
The next day came, and Dominic knew what he wanted to do. He wished to understand. This world was strange to him and though people were still people and life was life, there were too many out of the ordinary things he had experienced without explanation. The day before he had been given a whole multiple hour lesson on how his wand functioned along with Diametra. He approached the platform and placed the wand on it.

"Diametra, I would like to make a request of the Duke."

"State your request."

"I would like to inquire about Grecoideatia and what exactly it is.

"Very well, your petition has been sent in haste. You will be notified when a response is given." About ten minutes passed when Diametra responded.

"The Duke has granted the request and has dispatched Aid of the Duke Clarida to answer your inquiries. This appointment is scheduled to occur in fifteen minutes at the Grand Hall. Do you accept?"

"Yes." There was another ding and then the platform grew dark. He retrieved his wand and headed for the great hall. Everything was so orderly and routine. There was no room for arbitrary actions or whims and everything was like a gear in the greater machine that was the Republic. When he reached the hall Clarida was already sitting on one of the benches waiting for his arrival.

"Hello, Dominic. I can answer any questions you might have." There was no pleasantries nor small talk, only business. There were no jokes, no silliness, and definitely no disruption. In fact all of these things had been absent since he first arrived.

"Ummm, so what is your job exactly?"

"I am the Aid of the Duke. As a member of the philosophers it is my job to serve him along with all who join him in governing the Mitial Republic. My whole life's purpose is to serve the people of Mitial until death."

"Is that what you have always wanted to do?"

"Well, what I want is irrelevant. I was born to my mother and father who are both Gaurdians here in Mitial Core. During our early education our abilities and interests are assessed so that we can then be further educated in our area. Around fourteen, it was agreed that I would be trained in the Philosopher chain so that I may serve my republic as a future governor. I must serve my republic as all must and so long as we are together and work together through each of our parts we shall be inseparable from true order and true good."

"But isnt there something you have ever thought about being?"

"Not really. Possibility is second to the way in which I can serve those I love which are my people. All of curse are given the gift of serving in ways that fulfill us, but in the end we are not the primary goal, our community is."

"I see so the whole always comes before the individual. What's the difference between what you call philosophers and guardians?"

"The Coalition of the Republics is divided into three groups of people. The Artisans are those who pursue the good of the whole through trade, manufacturing, agriculture, educated work, and so on. It is their job to provide their fruits for the prosperity of all. Gaurdians are the defenders and peacekeepers who spend their lives promoting the safety and common good of the order by making sure all is in its place. The philosophers live to understand all that there is and therefore govern through truth. They spend their lives preparing to serve in this way as I have."

"How . . . orderly, and has this way of structuring society existed for a long time?"

"Our historical philosophers have records going back over one thousand years when all of Grecoideatia was a collection of warring factions and tribes. Peace was established during the period we call the Great Internalization. There was introspection and discovery for each person which lead to the establishment of order. Each tribe was able to see what it valued most and how it related to the values of the other tribes. We the tribe of wands favored what was ordered, just, and efficient so that the beauty of the introspective action could always have its high place in our society. Overtime rose the Coalition of the Republics, the keeper of the wands. It is through our Lord, He who is order and justice himself that we were able to rise above our tribulations and see what was there all along." Dominic stared at her for a while. These things he heard were unlike anything he considered familiar . . . even though he didnt exactly know what familiar was. Everything seemed about ideas to them. There was little preoccupation with the practicals if they did not serve the greater ideal that all he had met seemed to have shared. To him it seemed unrealistic, blind, and folly.

"Who is this Lord I have heard Lucarus and you speak of?"

"Why, He is the beginning and the end of course. He is the son and its light which reflects and brings truth to all that the light shines on. He is the truth which we speak and serve and the great reason for our efforts. The greatest of philosophers serve Him and help us all to do the same. It is often said that it is we the Republics who serve and know him best, but the others in the Dialectic Union would probably disagree." Dominic was about to ask about these "others," but then the Duke entered the hall.

"Ah, Dominic, I have something I think you would like to see. The Keeper of Mitial Core has invited me to the district's regional showcase of students. It is truly such an astounding show of our people's spirit, and I thought given your inquiring mind you may want to attend."

"Oh, sure Districtman. It sounds quite exciting, thank you." Reredis laughed at his answer.

"I've done nothing, but I'm glad you are pleased. Clarida do join us as well. The chariot is coming around now to take us to the performance hall." Clarida nodded her head. The three headed to the chariot. They drove towards a river which was to the northeast of the fortress. Near its bank was a large auditorium looking building.

"Every republic has an official theater," Clarida explained, "the arts are very important to us." They all entered after they scanned their wands. It was a grand theater with royal adornments. To Dominic's surprise they did not sit in any of the available boxes but rather they were greeted by what he presumed to be the Keeper of Mitial Core who had saved seats for them on the ground level.

"Who are the boxes for?" he asked Clarida.

"The parents of course." A few minutes later the lights dimmed and all immediately became quiet. The curtain rose and there sat a collection of what looked like over one hundred teenagers each with their own instrument arranged as an orchestra. The conductor even was of that age and immediately they began their performance. It was a bold and moving piece that was of the highest quality. No note seemed out of place nor any musician confused as the melody danced around the theater. Dominic looked up at the boxes to see parents embracing one another with tears in their eyes. It was the sort of reaction one would have if they just found out they won the lottery. The performance lasted for about an hour and a half, but at the end of each piece there was no applause, only silence until the next one began. Dominic expected that the applause was being held until the end, but when the curtain finally closed there was still no applause. Everyone thereafter exited to the main gallery, and the group of them waited against the wall along with everyone else.

"What are we waiting for?"

"You shall soon see, my boy." There was a twinkle in Reredis's eye as if the greatest was yet to come. The teen musicians eventually came and spread out to meet their parents. There were hugs and excited whispers. Dominic tuned in to one particular instance. A boy was telling his very attentive parents about his favorite piece and its meaning and how he felt to convey it to his audience. The parents then spoke of what they experienced and thought of as the music was moving them. When they were done they embraced again, noticeably touched and jubilated by what had just been discussed. This seemed to be the theme throughout and lasted for an additional thirty minutes before the first few started to depart. On the way back to the Fortress of Mitial, Reredis and Clarida were discussing their own visions and thoughts of the performance and Clarida even began crying at one point. Dominic was beginning to feel something he had never experienced before. There was something untouchable about this world. It was as if the very spirit of the people was alive and dancing throughout this city or whatever they called it. He was quiet the way back and by days end went to sleep still considering what this was. It wasnt just something he was experiencing, he believed it was even changing him as a person, and he didn't know whether to resist it out of fear or embrace it for the beautiful thing he knew it was. He would have to wait and decide that dilemma tomorrow. Evening came and morning followed, another day.

large_4f9f17cb9_Her_Majesty_s_LP.jpg

Last edited:
The day had finally come. Dominic along with the Duke were scheduled to head to the capital of the Coalition of the Republics, Jerdoe Core. Duke Reredis had assured him the trip would be quick since Mitial Core was the closest republican capital to Jerdoe Core. Dominic didn't know what was going to happen or whether it would go well, but he just accepted that he had to gauge it as the day went. The chariot was called. Reredis and Clarida were a part of the delegation along with a boy named Caleel who looked about 14 years old. Clarida introduced him as one of her aides and philosophers in training. Clarida drove them towards Jerdoe Core. About 40 minutes later they reached a city with bright neoclassical facades they shone brilliantly in the clear sunlight of the day. At the center was a larger compound of buildings with various wings. This was the Republican Palace, the seat of the Archduke.

XLycPlO.jpg

At the central entrance and colonnade, the four were brought inside to a grand high ceiling room with yet more columns. They stood before a throne of sorts as they awaited the arrival of the Archduke. Finally a woman came before them and announced his arrival.

"People of the republics, I present to you the Archduke of the Coalition, the Statesman of the Republics, Fenstrus." A man came out and looked at each of them. He smiled and embraced Reredis before sitting down on his chair. Reredis stepped forward to speak.

xcXQ2zE.jpg

"Statesman, we come to you to speak with you about a matter of great intrigue. The one I informed you about three days ago."

"Ah yes, the boy with the mysterious origin, how unexpected. Dominic is it?" Dominic nodded in acknowledgement. "There is no such thing as visitors in all of Grecoideatia for we are not a people open to the broader world. You obviously are from that world. Let me have a look at you." The Archduke rose and approached Dominic placing his hands on the boy's soldiers and examining him. He told Dominic to tell him of his experience. Dominic did so quickly not wanting to have the attention be on him for too long. After a moment he returned to his chair. "If I had to guess, I would say that he is of western descent. Such an accent is not common here. As for your struggle to remember, our leaders of medicines can be of use. Ultimately, it is up to you as per the law to choose remaining in our Dialectic Union or to be expelled from it and never return. However, I doubt you are in a cognitive state to make such a decision." The lady who had introduced the Archduke spoke up.

"What if this is a sign of coming openness?" Fenstrus looked at her and then nodded.

"I considered it. This may be the sort of moment where we finally make this change some of us have been dreaming of. We have the possibility of taking this all the way to Sophia. However, first we must do our duty to this young man." Fenstrus took out his wand which looked like a wooden club. Clarida gasped.

"That is the wand of the Coalition. It is the oldest and first wand." Dominic had seen the seal of the Coalition of the Republics at various places. It always had a hand that was holding a wand that looked just like the Archduke's. Fenstrus tapped his chair and hailed medical services. A man and woman with white bracelets appeared soon after.

lloyd-clasby-render2.jpg

"Dominic, we assume that whatever tragedy happened to bring you to our beaches has caused some sort of damage to your mind. These leaders of medicines are here to help make sure everything is in order so that you aren't in any further harm. Clarida can accompany you to the medicine wing so that you won't feel too disoriented by the affair." Dominic felt a bit nervous not knowing what these doctors were going to do to him. It turns out he was checked for a concussion and given brain scans. The doctors wouldn't tell him anything until they returned to the Archduke. They delivered their report.

"Statesman, the patient has moderate inflammation of the mental core which may temporarily obstruct the spirit's access to thoughts. This was likely caused by a hard impact to the head which resulted in concussion. We recommend that he not go through any serious physical activity or stressful situations for the time being until recovery is fully verified by leaders of medicines."

"Thank you, leaders, your recommendation is accepted and noted." With Fenstrus's reply, they left. The Archduke sat quietly in a long silence before finally speaking to all present.

"I have decided what must be done. Dominic must be given time to recover so that with his full knowledge he can make a decision as provided by law. Furthermore, I would like to make a proposal. The whole Dialectic Union deserves to see this sign of foreign presence. We have for too long locked ourselves away from the world for the sake of preserving our ideals. I for one believe in our ideals enough to know they will be sustained even if there be external pressures. There are some members of Grecoideatia that disagree, but the Coalition has supported this notion for a while now. I want Sophia to see Dominic, and to actually face this question head on. We need time to prepare an argument, however. We will take the next two weeks or so to strengthen our position while Dominic recovers."

The Archduke took his wand out once more and tapped the chair. "Diametra, add Dominic to the Archduke's household."

"Confirmed."

"Add Duke Reredis of Mitial, his aid and the remainder of his current delegation to the Archduke's Directive for Open Relations which I now create."

"Confirmed."

"Add Belshivas, High Aid to the Archduke, as chair of this directive."

"Confirmed."

The lady who had originally announced the arrival of the Archduke smiled. She must be Belshivas.

"There we are. I have laid forth my decision, and we shall begin our work tomorrow. This could be a historical moment for all our people, so let us work and strive to the best of our abilities!"

Everyone nodded before resigning from the hall. There were no questions nor were there any objections. The Archduke had spoken and all obeyed. A new journey was afoot. Dominic decided that it had gone well even though it was all a whirlwind. He didnt exactly know where all of this was going, but if he could be a part of this great movement then at least he was doing something of value, even though he did not quite know if he believed in it.

nqLF10q.png

Mitial Core in red / Jerdoe Core in green

The path is burden. All is loss and suffering as step by step you move towards that elusive light. Let not terror pierce you nor the mysteries of this land take you in full. You must move forward or in the brief moment of pause you will sink like a vessel of the sea that knows its impending loss. The chain doesn't break. The burdened horse does not cry. The flame does not become snuffed out. Just so, you, Dominic, do not sink or fade away forgotten in the echoes of the clock. Take heed and step forward.

These were the mysterious words Dominic had heard in his dreams the night before. They were not the normal words or babel that people heard in dreams. It was a voice that was speaking directly to him, directly to his soul. He knew Grecoideatia was causing this. There must have been something in the air or perhaps a special quality to the lights of the Republican Palace for despite not remembering life before the shores of Greco he just knew he had never experienced this before. Something was happening.

The morning began without anything of great interest happening. There was breakfast with the Archduke and his wife Archduchess Veronica. They were joined by Clarida who Duke Reredis told to stay with him while he temporarily returned to Mitial Core to manage affairs there before returning for the meeting of the newly created Directive of Open Relations. This was the first day of meetings after the Directive had been created the day before. Dominic did not know what to expect at all, but what was new. His policy of just go with what was happening had not led him wrong yet and so he continued to take this approach until it stopped working. He looked up from his breakfast of toast and fresh fruit to see Veronica smiling at him. There was something different about her. She wasn't looking at him but within him.

The group along with Belshivas the Archduke's High Aid were walking towards the conference chamber when Veronica walked up next to Dominic.

"Strange things have been happening to you haven't they Dominic?"

"Y-yes. I keep sensing and hearing things. How did you know?" Veronica stared ahead and smiled.

4f908fa3e6d24a31fb858a2a2794681c.jpg

"It is my business to know what happens in the palace. The things you are feeling and hear I also do. It is something everyone is capable of, but only some are able to sense at your age. My love, Fenstrus, is charged to protect, govern, and give himself to the Coalition of the Republics. As Archduke that is what his soul has been given to, and it is right and just. He is the love of my love and the heart that mine pours forth for as Archduchess. My domain is that of what lies close to the heart and soul of our people. I do not bind together the walls of our nation like my husband, but I embody and protect the spirit of her structures. You are currently one of us, Dominic. It is my responsibility to come to you at your time of need."

Dominic blinked at her not quite sure what to do or say. There was this elegant wisdom and "soulfulness" within her. It gave him a peace that filled him, a peace that he didn't know he needed.

"Listen to what is being said to you by God, Dominic. Do not fear the message nor what it to be shown to you. No matter where you are going or where this all ends up, it is only possible by trusting Him, yourself, and those who help you along the way. I know you can find it within yourself to do so." They had arrived at the conference chamber.

shutterstock_146152607.jpg

Everyone sat in the open area, but the Archduke sat at the head bench with the Archduchess to his right. They faced everyone from the head bench. There was a silence that seemed to last minutes before Veronica began speaking.

"It has been agreed that to have this petition to the Unatis be successful, we must fully explore our current situation as a people. Therefore, it has been decided that the first matter shall be to begin a Meta Inquiry of Dominic." The Archduke nodded his head while Dominic felt his face go flush. Whatever a Meta Inquiry was it scared him. Clarida who was seated next to him put her hand on his shoulder as if to reassure him.

"There is nothing to be afraid of. We just want to know you." Clarida looked towards the head bench. "I assume the Archduchess will conduct the inquiry."

"That is correct." Veronica after answering stood and walked down to where Dominic was. Clarida got up to allow her to sit next to him.

"Why are you here, Dominic?"

"I don't know, my lady. All I remember was waking up on that beach and here I was."

"Yes, I suppose that is true, but I am not asking you how you got here. I am asking why you are here with us right now doing all this."

"Well . . . I guess it's because I feel I have no other choice. I'm in a foreign place with no idea what to do so I have been following everyone's suggestions."

"I see. Do you believe that something good will come of them."

"I hope so. I just want to know who I am." Veronica smiled.

"Don't we all, Dominic. Do you have any sort of idea about who you are?"

"Well my name is Dominic, and I know how to speak Mercanti. I have been told I am from the west, and I am out of place here."

"Out of place? What makes you say that?"

"I just don't belong here. There is no one who is like me, and I am seen as some unknown novelty."

"Are you sure this isn't exactly where you are supposed to be?"

"I don't understand."

"Well here you are right now in the Palace of the Republic where we enjoy your company. I don't believe there is anything impossible or damning about that. Aren't you exactly where you are supposed to be?"

"I errr don't know. I never thought about it that way. Just looking around and seeing how things are, it just doesn't look that way."

"External life by itself can be very deceiving. We have to also look at the interior life as well in order to get a better picture. I think you are exactly where you are supposed to be right now, and that in itself can provide solace. There are great things that lie ahead, we just have to wait for them to approach and the embrace them with clear minds, full hearts, and the will to bear all that comes with it."

"I think you are right. It just feels hard to always remember that." Veronica smiled with the look of compassion in her eyes.

"Diametra, who is the family of Dominic?"

Dominic is of the family of the Archduke of the Coalition of the Republics.

"Never forget everyone who is there for you, Dominic. Things may seem bewildering but we are all here for you as your family and friends. In the Coalition, no one has to be alone so long as we live and breath. There is always another soul among us to listen. We of course can never understand fully what you are going through, but we are still with you all the way."

Despite his best instinct, Dominic began crying in his chair. She had told him exactly what he needed to hear. Love and trust are like rose bushes. They are beautiful but take time to grow and bloom. Here it was like the rose bushes were grown in a day. Suddenly there was a shot of fear in him. Had he gone too far? Had he shared too much? Dominic felt naked and exposed like everyone there saw right through him. The dueling feelings of being understood and vulnerable tore at him on the inside. Veronica stood up as Dominic stared down into space.

"I end this inquiry and find Dominic both authentic and of sound aim. His path is now a part of ours and this Directive can continue."

Everyone in the committee chamber took what they heard into their hearts. There was no standing still. Another step had been taken.

A few days had passed with more meetings and more planning for the visit to the Grecoideatian capital of Sophia. The Archduke had told Dominic of a room in the Palace called the Reflection Hall. He decided this was the day he would go and see what it was about. After asking an aid for directions he finally came upon its door in the middle of one of the many grand halls of the Republican Palace. Next to the door was a small mirror where he could make out his reflection. He entered to find the room in pitch black. His wand gave off a quick hum and then the lights gradually grew bright to reveal the room. It was utterly and completely covered with a mirrored surface. The floor, walls, and ceiling were one seamless mirror except for three lights in the ceiling. Dominic then noticed something that filled him with dread, he could not find the door he entered. He was essentially trapped. He lifted his wand to ask for help.

"Diametra, I need to leave this room."

The Reflection Room is a puzzle class room of the Republican Palace. Its key is revelation.

"What does that mean!?"

It's key is revelation. There is no further information available.

Dominic slouched to the ground. Everything had to be so mystical all the time in this strange place. It was getting old. He noticed that everywhere he looked, he could only see himself. In a way there was no escaping his own image in this room. That must be why it was called the Reflection Room. He sat there for what must have been an hour. He just stared at himself and it was a weird feeling. It's like he was seeing more than what was on the surface. He could see the good in him but also the bad. It was returning him to that state he was in when he dreamt of those words or when he was being questioned by the Archduchess. Who was he really? What substance was there.

There was this strengthening state of emptiness that gripped him. "I don't know where I'm from, who my parents are, or what even I was like before all of this."

He realized just how sad and painful nothingness could be. How could he ever expect to be someone when he was a no one. He thought of how balloons drift in the wind until they sadly pop somewhere later and pollute the homes of animals. Was that all that he was? Was that all he would ever be? There was an ugliness in his reflection now. He could barely take looking, but that is all one could do in this messed up room, look and look and look. The pain and dismay of his situation overtook him and he began to cry. It had never hit him this hard before, but the agony of his current state was too much for the boy.

The tears fell onto the mirrored glass. The lights from above called the tears to sparkle brilliantly. Everyone in this country was infatuated with this idea of light and truth like it was a personal mantra. Light, that thing that pierced through darkness. His mind went in a different direction. He thought of everyone who had helped him. There was Lucia and Lucarus who found him along with Reredis and Clarida who had sent him to the Archduke and his wife. All of these people saw something in him. There was certainly some good, some light in that.

There were before him in his own reflection two paths, two versions painfully struggling with one another. One of loss and utter imperfection and one of hope and the heights of the sky itself. Just their struggle brought stress and this sensation of fracture in him. He didn't remember much, but he did know that he had never felt his inner state so clearly before in his life. The storms were at full wind. After juggling all this for another hour he knew what he had to do. He couldn't let his pain and struggle own him, he had to own it. Dominic could find no place to look where he wasn't looking back to himself and so he closed his eyes.

"I give to you all of it. I offer my good, my bad, and my innermost strife for I won't let it destroy me."

The room became brighter and brighter until it hurt his eyes. He crouched more and put his arms over his head. He saw within a flash. The antlers shattered the mirror and then there was silence. . . silence . . . silence around him . . . silence within him. Dominic opened his eyes to see the room dark as it was before. There was a stream of light coming from the open door where he had entered. He ran out the room before something else happened. Revelation had opened the door.

Býkonsviði, Prydania

"Wands!" Max Hveiti exclaimed, dumping a cardboard box full of wands onto Magnus Brandt's desk. Marianne Toft shook her head but the ÖSU Chief was not dissuaded.
"I can forge a passport Magnus, that's not a problem. Wands though? Wands?" He picked up a wand and waved it around.
"What am I supposed to do with this?"

"I don't know Max" Magnus replied, seemingly more amused then anything.
"You're paid to crack foreign technology."

"You don't understand" Hveiti continued. "This..." he leaned over the desk and held a wand up, "...is like having a wall charger in the middle ages. Potentially life changing but what the hell use is it if you can't plug it in?"

"So you're saying it's unusable" Marianne said as Max began to pace the Prime Minister's office.

"Yes. We've collected these from sources around Grecoideatia, and we've analyzed them. They ARE technology, under the wooden surface, but unlike any we know of. We know they interact with some kind of port device, but we don't have it. And we can't access them without it."

"Can anything be ascertained from them otherwise?" Magnus asked.

"Yes" Max replied.
"That their widespread use implies that some sort of personal information is stored on them. Akin to a credit card or phone. And that the society that produces them sees value in aesthetics as well as function. Whatever these are, there's likely a more convenient way to make them than as wands."

"You know nothing else about Grecoideatia then?" Marianne asked.
"I thought your job was to know things" the Foreign Minister asked with a slight smirk.

"And I still know more about this place than you do" Max shot back before turning to Magnus.
"But this place is a black box. We can't find anyone who's been there, and no one comes out."

"Dominik Örbekk got in" Magnus replied.

"Yeah, and that's the problem. We know where he is, but I don't know how to get him out. Extraction via black ops implies a level of familiarity with the locale we don't have."

"I have to admit" Marianne began, "that I'm at a loss as much as Max is. Which embassy do I even reach out to?"

"You don't. They're going to reach out to us."

Both Max and Marianne looked at Magnus suspiciously.
"You're both right, of course. We have no means of recourse in either of your fields. All we know is that satellite imagery courtesy of PGU allies ascertained that Dominik Örbekk washed up on their shores. I have dispatched a Royal Prydanian Navy ship to their ports, a destroyer. They are under direct orders not to fire, but there is a contingent of Royal Marines on board to account for the unknown. The Captain is charged with delivering a letter to their leadership. Which will inform them of the situation and how to contact us so that it may be resolved. Once that has been done...you two come in."

"I will have Marianne put together a small team of negotiators tasked with finding out what their government knows about Dominik's whereabouts. Among that team will be an ÖSU agent. It's imperative we know as much about this place as possible, if we are to safely transverse diplomatic waters with them in securing Dominik's return."

Max took a seat and nodded.
"Alright. Let's begin."

KPS Erik VI, Just outside of the territorial waters of Grecoideatia

Captain Naómí Varmdal felt tense but she didn't show it.
"Hail again" she ordered.

"Yes Captain" Lt. Joð acknowledged.
"Grecoideatian port. This is the KPS Erik VI of the Royal Prydanian Navy. We are requesting the right to peacefully dock and deliver a message of the utmost importance to the political leadership of the nation. We are acting on behalf of the Kingdom of Prydania. Please respond."

"They should know Mercanti at the very least" Captain Varmdal muttered.
"Sergeant Gilsfjörð."

"Yes Captain?" the leader of the Marine contingent answered.

"You're prepared, in the event that our 'hosts' turn hostile, yes?"

"Of course Captain. We'll do our jobs if it comes to that."

"Let's hope it doesn't. We're a long way from home."

Last edited:
There was a situation developing across the country from Dominic. There was now a foreign vessel off of the coast of the Kingdom of the Lumens and Grand Lumenate Dresdis didn't know what to do.
8xBh77q.png

QFSGcta.png

12yWwgS.jpg

The Lumen Chancellory

She was good at her job. Managing educators and administrators for 23 institutions of learning was no easy matter, but she was running a tight ship. Truth wasn't going to discover itself after all! This dilemma she never planned for or studied for in her life. Out of all the Grand Lumenates to come before her, now there had to be the time when foreigners decided to poke the Dialectic Union. She removed her sword from her pocket.

"Diametra, display the information our scout vessels gathered on the foreign ship."

After a bleep the statistics appeared projected on her office wall. It seemed to be moderately armed. Prydania was a Craviter nation to the far west. She knew from her world history studies that it had recently finished some internal conflict of war, but the details were not well known to the Union. She had been given the authority of Sophia to have the ship docked and for peaceful deliberations to pursue. Maybe those resources on international relations she pulled would help. She had every Institutional School in Lumens put their diplomacy students to work on coming to a best course of action, but she knew there wasn't much time. She had to act now or there may be an escalation from their lack of response. It had been 8 hours since they had received the message on radio waves, an odd choice for communication. She realized the Diametra Zone was limited to the Union so of course outsiders used other means of communicating. That local radio hobbiest had come to them to deliver the message, and thank High he did. The time had come for her to act, because Sophia had given her the command for the sake of the Union. She approached the radio the hobby maker had brought for this occasion. She looked at her sword and then the microphone and then the sword again. Finally she put it away and picked up the microphone. She began her statement in Mercanti.

"Prydanian vessel, this is the Grand Lumenate of the Kingdom of the Lumenate. I speak on behalf of the governance of the Dialectic Union. We would be honored if you docked here at our ports for the sake of peaceful and reasonable deliberation. Our vessel will meet you at your current coordinates and lead you in to the correct port by which I and my staff will escort you to the Chancellory. We hope that this encounter be truly cordial and good for all involved."

She was relieved that it was done. It didn't seem too different from her countless commencement speeches though it lacked the inspiring motifs that she so loved to instill into graduating students. No matter, she would have the chance upon meeting the seamen.

"Dialectic Union?" Sergeant Gilsfjörð asked as the Grecoidetian ship led them to port.
"I thought this was Grecoideatia. Are we in the right place?"

"Yes" Captain Varmdal replied.
"We addressed our message to the Grecoidetians. They didn't correct us. I don't know what a 'Dialectic Union' is, but we can assume it's an internal division of some sort. I would like your Marines to stand down though."

"With all due respect Captain..." the Sergeant began. The Captain both outranked him and was the commanding officer of the ship, but Gilsfjörð's job was to protect the crew with his Marines. Part of that meant he had a degree of leeway to offer his own opinions on matters at hand.
"...I don't believe that's a good idea. We know nothing about the country we're pulling into port at, other than that they know Mercanti. Armed and ready security is prudent."

"I don't disagree" Varmdal replied.
"Their message was peaceful though, and we on a peaceful mission to deliver a statement from our government. Have your Marines ready, yes, but let's put a peaceful foot forward."

Gilsfjörð wasn't convinced, but he was bound to the Captain's will.
"Of course Captain" he replied.
"I'll stand the Marines down" he added, before leaving the bridge to tend to his duties.

Varmdal remained stoic despite her own nervousness. She really didn't know what to expect. The time it took to arrive at the dock seemed like an eternity. "Commander" she said to Kjalar Brunsvold as they eventually began to dock.
"The letter."

"Of course Captain" the XO replied, producing a letter from a safe aboard the bridge. It was thick white card stock, sealed with the Royal emblem of the Kingdom of Prydania. Varmdal held the letter between her fingers for a moment before nodding.
"The Sergeant will accompany me onto the docks. You have the bridge Commander."

"Aye" Brunsvold said, taking a deep breath and assuming command of the Erik VI as his Captain prepared to disembark.

Both Captain Varmdal and Sgt. Gilsfjörð wore dark blue camo-styled fatigues. The only differences being the Sergeant's flack jacket and the slight variation in uniform insignia. Varmdal's carried the rank insignia of the Royal Prydanian Navy, while Gilsfjörð's carried the insignia of the Royal Marines. Each went without weapons, save for their sidearms.

"It seems peaceful enough" Varmdal said quietly as they disembarked. They'd be the first Prydanians to step foot in Grecoideatia, if it weren't for Dominik Örbekk. Gilsfjörð followed the Captain onto the docks, both taking time to take in the sites of the port. Nothing seemed particularly out of the ordinary.

There was a party that seemed to be approaching. Gilsfjörð continued to follow his Captain, making no move to outwardly favour his pistol, yet prepared should it come to that. Varmdal, for her part, just made her way to the party approaching, holding the letter. She didn't know what to expect, other than that she would try to do her job as best as she could in this forgotten corner of the world.

sHPMB6V.jpg

The Grand Lumenate was doing everything she could not to cry. There was no one else in charge in this situation but her and that reality was nerve wracking. She was comforted at the fact that this was happening in her world rather than the roles being reversed. What if she was the one wandering into a foreign country and had to talk to people she knew nothing about. She had the wisdom to know that things could always be worse. She walked down the pier with her assistant and the Grand Dean of Lumens College who ran the estate. She could see some figures near the Prydanian vessel. Finally her group came before them, and she led with an exuberant smile.

"Greetings to you! On behalf of our people here in the Kingdom of the Lumens and the Unatis out in Sophia our national capital, we welcome you to the Dialectic Union, but you would probably say Grecoideatia. We are happy to hear anything you have to say. We can talk back at my residence and office or whatever you all would like. We offer friendship and the greatest in charity and openness we can muster."

She saw the man had a gun in a holster. A flash of worry came across her eyes, but she was determined to not let it show. There was a reason the Union kept clear of foreigners. There could be no risk to the culture and virtues of the nation. So much had been achieved over the centuries, and it only took one or two foreign influences to make it all fall down. She noticed what looked like a letter in the hand of what seemed to be the leader of the delegation.

"Oh, did you have something for us?"

"Grecoideatia" so they were in the right place.

Gilsfjörð noticed the woman glance at his firearm, but stood behind the captain with his hands crossed behind his back. He noticed that none of their "greeters" had guns. Which struck him as strange. They were as much unknowns to the Grecoideatians as they were to them, and yet they seemed to take no security precautions. It didn't matter though. He was here to escort Captain Varmdal. He wouldn't start shooting unless things went south.

Varmdal held up the letter. Thick white cardstock, sealed with the Royal seal of the Kingdom of Prydania.
"Greetings on behalf of the Kingdom of Prydania" she said in a friendly enough tone with a slight head bow.
"My name is Captain Naómí Varmdal, of the Royal Prydanian Navy. I've come to Grecoideatia on orders of my government to insure that this letter..." she held up the sealed letter, "...gets into the hands of your nation's government. And to return to my own country with your government's response. Am I to understand that you are authorized to get this letter to your nation's leadership?"

The sea breeze blew across the docks lightly. It didn't bother Naómí. Shew was used to the ocean. She was used to the sea. She remained stoic as she introduced herself. Friendly, but stoic. She was representing her nation in the first meeting in an official capacity. Yet her mind wandered to the cityscape beyond these greeters. What was Grecoideatia? And could she even begin to effectively navigate it?

Last edited:
Grand Lumenate Dresdis escorted the Prydanian delegation back to the capital of the Kingdom of the Lumens, the Lumen Chancellory. She had made plans for their lodging through Diametra while in route. It was about 20 miles from the docks. They were now passing Lumens College's cetral campus which was the central educational institution for the entire Dialectic Union. Crossing the River of the Lights they came to the Lumen Chancellory, the Kingdom's seat of government.

qmlPftt.jpg

They all went straight to the council room where they could discuss the letter. The Grand Lumenate addressed the room.

"I will to explain some aspects of our nation's governance to you so that there can be a better understanding so when we proceed with this conversations. I have gathered that you are members of your nation specifically in service of the sword, so if at anytime you would rather have these dialogues continue with a diplomatic member of your nation, we will understand. Now, I am in short one sixth of the ruling office of Grecoideatia. There are five subjects of the Union with which one is under my care, that is where you are now the Kingdom of the Lumens, the core of education, enlightenment, truth, and discovery for the whole of the Dialectic Union. I have been authorized by my fellow statesmen to act on behalf of the whole. So we can proceed without any further delay. If you have any question I can certainly answer them, otherwise, I will ask you to please read your letter that I have here. I must admit that the suspense of this moment is quite unbearable."

Captain Naómí Varmdal took the time afforded to her by the escort to take in as much of the city as possible. It had dawned on her that, aside from the person she was here to discuss, her and the good Sergeant were likely some of the first foreigners to get this much of a look at a Grecoideatian city in some time. This "Kingdom of the Lumens" seemed all so...orderly. The grand architecture was not unlike what was common in Prydania before the Syndicalist coup and the following Civil War, but everything seemed so systematic and formal. There were crowds on the street to be sure, but there was a distinct lack of hustle that seemed to define urban life where she came from.
Was all of Grecoideatia like this? She wasn't sure. That wherever they were was called "the Kingdom of the Lumens" indicated that there were distinct sub-entities to this country. What made this "Kingdom" different from the rest? She didn't know. All she could do was observe. The name rang a bell though. "Lumens." She didn't speak Umbrial, but she was a Courantist and the name struck her as seeming Umbrialic in nature.

"What do you think?" she asked Sergeant Gilsfjörð in Prydanian. She was sure people all the way on the far side of Aurora wouldn't be proficient in it. She didn't intend to hide anything from her hosts, but there was a comfort in conversing with the one person she knew in this strange place with a degree of privacy.

"They seem accommodating Captain. The hair isn't sticking up on the back of my neck, so that's good" Gilsfjörð replied.

"You're my security and you're basing things on a gut feeling?" she asked, with just a hint of a smile to show she was toying with him.

"Heh" he replied.
"I mean there are no red flags. We're away from the ship and the rest of the Marines. We're both pretty much screwed if they decide to turn on us, but I'll be honest. I'm curious, a bit off-put, but I'm not getting the sense we're in danger. And after the Civil War well...I think I know what that feels like."

"True enough" Varmdal replied as they began to approach what they would be told was Lumen Chancellory. It looked impressive. Far bigger than the Haraldvígi in Beaconsviði that held the Alþingi. And this was, by all accounts, a sub-national capital.

"Try not to look like a yokel who's just come to the big city for the first time" Varmdal muttered in Prydanian.

"Yes Captain" Gilsfjörð smirked.
"I'm from Hadden though. I can manage. I'm sure you're struggling with it, being from Haland and all."

"Haland is a perfectly fine city."

"It's big...for Austurland" Gilsfjörð mused teasingly.

The two, however, were mostly silent as they observed the art on display as they made their way through the building. There was a grandness to it. One that both the Prydanians could recognize. Many older buildings in Prydania had a similar sort of grandness to them. The Syndicalist vandalism and the destruction of fifteen years of War had necessitated many new buildings be constructed. And there was a debate in Prydania, centred around how those should look. There were archaists who championed traditional designs in line with older athletics and modernists who were in favour of sleek, new designs. They only seemed to agree that Syndicalist brutalism needed to go. It was, outside of that, a debate between aesthetics and function, between old and new. The Grecoideatians, or at least the Lumens, seemed to value aesthetics.

Both Varmdal and Gilsfjörð took their seats as the Grand Lumenate addressed them.
The Captain looked to the Sergeant, and then back to the Grand Lumenate.

"Grand Lumenate" Varmdal began, unsure if she was using the title correctly.
"You're correct. I am a Captain in the Royal Prydanian Navy, and my companion Tryggvi Gilsfjörð is a Sergeant in the Royal Prydanian Marine Corps. We were dispatched to your nation as our government lacks any direct way to communicate with yours via traditional diplomatic means. I have a very broad idea of why we are here but I would advise that you read this before we continue."

correspondence:
8X71XKW.png

To the leaders of the Grecoideatian nation,
I reach out to you on this day to draw attention to an event that some of you might be aware of. Our ambassador to the Havens Daníval Örbekk and his wife Thea were drawn off course by a freak weather accident that resulted in their ship capsizing. Many good men and women were lost, but Daníval and Thea were among the survivors. Many still went missing, and it's been a heartrending experience for their loved ones to accept that many simply listed as "missing" must now be assumed to be deceased. Mr. and Ms. Örbekk were among those, thinking their nineteen year old son Dominik was among those lost.
Recent satellite imagery, however, has provided us with proof that Dominik survived his ordeal and appears to have washed up on your shores. What happened to him beyond this is a mystery but we are now in possession of conclusive proof that he is alive and very likely within your borders. I have consulted with Mr. and Ms. Örbekk and have met to discuss the matter with my Prime Minister and government. We have all agreed that reaching out to your people in this way, seclusive as they are, would be the best way to address the matter.
To that end I am, on behalf of my nation and Mr. and Ms. Örbekk specifically, requesting that Grecoideatia aid us in finding Dominik Örbekk so he can be returned to his family as soon as possible. The Kingdom of Prydania would be most gracious and appreciative in any help Grecoideatia could provide on the matter. I have charged Captain Varmdal to speak on behalf of the Kingdom of Prdyania in a diplomatic manner.

Thank you for your consideration and your hospitality.

4zyOTUi.png

His Majesty, Tobias III Loðbrók, by the Grace of God, King of Prydania, Lord Protector of Austurland, Marshal of Býkonsviði, Lord Uniter, Defender of the Faith

Last edited:
The Grand Lumenate smiled after reading the letter. "Ah yes, we all know about the newcomer, Dominic. It is not everyday that someone stumbles upon the Dialectic Union, and so we are all watching, waiting as his story unfolds. You see, Dominic is journeying through the Union. There is a path that has been set which leads to the heart of our people the city of Sophia. This boy has lost a great deal and in his hour of need the One in all of his knowledge and light has brought him into the open arms of Grecoideatia to mourn and find himself again. So like a song that unfurls its movements, Dominic is moving through each measure until at its great climax he will be offered a gift of the nation. He can then either receive it and have his life changed forever or reject it. If Prydania wants to be a part of that journey, then it is welcome to take part, but let me be clear: the journey must come to completion and the gift offered. He must complete his march to Sophia and be presented with the gift. I have been given the authority of the Statesmen of the Union to allow a delegation of your people to join us in the capital for the great moment."

She grew silent for a long moment. "Do you hear that? The people are waiting, there is a tension ad unrest as the moment draws closer and a decision is made. The whole nation has taken notice."

She drew her sword. The company jumped and became tense at the sight of it as if it was dangerous. She looked on with confusion. "Worry not, this isn't going to hurt you. It is what we call a seal, a personal item used to distinguish ourselves in our society as well as perform societal functions. See?"

She tapped her sword to the table and a projector above it came on and showed a screen on the wall beside her

"Diametra, recall the foreign dignitary warrants for travel and entry into Sophia. Create hand copy." A cube in the corner of the room popped out papers like a printer which she told one of her aids to retrieve for her.

"Perhaps a bit of education is in order." There was a twinkle in her eye. "Diametra, what is the Kingdom of the Lumens?"

The Kingdom of the Lumens is one of five subjects of the Dialectic Union. It sits east of both the Commonwealth of the Servant and the Orbi Free State. It sits west of the Eudaimonean Union. The Kingdom's unique role in the Union is the preservation of truth high and the education of the Union's people. Each educational institution is a self sustained governing authority with its own borders, population, community, and governing body which functions as a subdivision of the Kingdom. These divisions are of four main types. These are colleges, academies, schools, and ecclesials. There are five colleges, one for each subject of the Dialectic Union, which acts as a large main educational institution for the people of those specific subjects. Academies are smaller institutions meant for excellent students of exceptional skill. Schools are used to educate in more mechanical topics such as construction, agriculture, management, and so forth. Ecclesials are under the direct management of the True Church and offer both theological formation and everyday subjects. The capital of the Kingdom of the Lumens is Lumens College, your current location. The history of the Kingdom began when the Greco peoples signed the Concordat of the One at the strong of Orbi . . .

"
Thank you, Diametra, it is enough. I realize this is all a lot to take in. I would suggest that you get in contact with your king or diplomatic organ and let them know that they are welcome to take part in this great celebration with Dominic. He is expected to enter Sophia in about 13 days if things go according to plan. You are welcome to stay and tour Lumens College which is right across the Intellect River from the Chancellory, there is a lot to see and learn! It is the PREMIER center of education in all of the Union if I do say so myself. Not even the monks at Trinity Arc-Ecclesial can argue with that."

There was another moment as she eyed her audience. They seemed confused if not concerned. She had practiced to have the presentation go PERFECTLY. Maybe she wasn't inspiring enough and needed to smile more to make them really feel it. Oh well, there would be other chances.

"Are there any questions or concerns with the preceding presentation?"

oxfordradcam.jpg

It was indeed a lot to take in. Naómí wasn't sure she expected this much. Grecoideatia was a new land though, and this certainly lived up to that. She was a bit taken aback by the Grand Lumenate insisting that Dominik had to finish this journey. Returning Dominik herself was never a given. It was explained to her it might be a possibility, but her primary goal was to establish contact and inform them that the Kingdom of Prydania wished to establish a dialogue. That had seemed to be accomplished, but the forwardness of this official- with military personnel no less- was a bit shocking to her. She turned to Sergeant Gilsfjörð. She was sure these people wouldn't know Prydansk and she needed a word in private.

"What do you think?" she asked.

"These people certainly do things their own way" the Sergeant replied.
"They seem dead set on this 'journey,' whatever it is. But I'm only here for your protection Captain."

"Be that as it may" Naómí said, "another perspective is helpful. Do you think they'll return the boy to his family?"

"I don't get that sense" Gilsfjörð replied.
"But that isn't our mandate for this mission anyway. And that tech alone says we should tread carefully."

Naómí nodded. She didn't agree with the Sergeant necessarily. Nothing in the Grecoideatians' response seemed like they'd refuse to return Dominik. They almost seemed like he had a choice. She wanted to know what this journey was as well, but that was beyond what she was here to do. Perhaps she could ascertain it if she took their hosts up on their offer and stayed? That too was a decision beyond her paygrade though.

"Grand Lumenate" Naómí began in Mercanti, "thank you for the explanation and education. It will do my government good to know that Dominik is doing well. I will relay everything- from your explanation of the situation to your invitation to attend Dominik's ceremony, to your invitation that we stay ourselves, to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. I hope to have an answer to all of this for you shortly."

She stood up, with Sergeant Gilsfjörð following suit. She wished to ask more, to say more, but the information she'd received had been a bit much.
"Additionally" she began, "I wish to say I find your culture here...intriguing. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it- or your technology- back home. If I may speak informally for a moment, I hope this visit is the beginning of a positive relationship between your Union and my Kingdom."
She eagerly held out her hand.

Back