-
Deputy Speaker
-
-
-
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
McMasterdonia:
I hereby appoint @Holdac as an Election Commissioner, subject to a confirmation vote by the RA.

The delegate has appointed @Holdac as an Election Commissioner. I now open the floor for debate and discussion on the nomination. I would welcome a statement in support of the nomination from @mcmasterdonia.

As far as I know, Holdac is almost entirely involved in the RP community. Do they have sufficient knowledge of TNP's laws and Election Commission rules to perform the duties of Election Commissioner?

@Holdac You have been a citizen since January. During that time you have voted 3 times out of the last 30 votes.

What have you accomplished in TNP?

The Election Commission is expected to be active and visible in their work. Where have you been active?

What does the Election Commission do?

Where is the laws and procedures located that regulate the Election Commission?

According to the Citizens sheet, as of the time of this post your last visit to the fourm was on 4/9, 8 days ago. What would happen if you where elected to the commission and did not log in to the forums for 14 days?

Are you planning in running in any of the next three elections?

Consider the following,

You are an election commissioner overseeing the May General Election. After a normal nomination period, the voting has been opened. A few days in Bill submits his ballot. He voted for Amy for delegate instead of Steve. The voting period ended at 10:30 UST. However, due to some difficulties you were not able to lock the thread until 10:34 UST. At 10:32 Bill edited his post and changed his vote to Steve.

What, if anything, should be done with Bill's ballot?

Consider the following,

Bill is running for Speaker. During the election, a citizen brings Treason charges against him. The court accepted the case. From looking at the evidence the citizen provided, you believe that Bill is guilty. It is clear from the vote tally sheet that Bill is winning his election over your preferred candidate.

What should you do?

Let us first check his knowledge and understanding about the current election laws of the region
That is what Dreadton is aiming to do with his line of questioning above.

EDIT: It’s not just Dreadton either, as anyone is free to question the nominee. If you’d like to check Holdac’s knowledge and understanding then you’re free to ask questions as well.

Last edited:
What have you accomplished in TNP?
I spend most of my time in the TNP RP community, as Gorundu pointed out. I run a map called Facet there, which I personally consider an accomplishment and I also actively roleplay on the SR map. It's probably the only notable accomplishment that I have. I also joined the FA and the Culture Ministry a few months ago which has allowed me to devote time to better my region in any way I can, from ambassador work in Balder to helping organizing events and pitching ideas for new ones which has been enjoyable to me.

The Election Commission is expected to be active and visible in their work. Where have you been active?
I am active daily in TNP RP and I am available to do anything needed at most times.

It supervises the elections and ensures that the process goes smoothly; tallying votes, closing and opening threads and pinging citizens if necessary. Mostly all the administrative work.
The Legal Code:
17. The Election Commission will have the power to make rules for the supervision of elections. Where no rules exist, the Election Commissioners supervising a given election may use their discretion.

Section 4.3 of the TNP Legal Code.

According to the Citizens sheet, as of the time of this post your last visit to the fourm was on 4/9, 8 days ago. What would happen if you where elected to the commission and did not log in to the forums for 14 days?
I would have my position vacated due to absence/abandonment according to the Legal Code.
The Legal Code:
9. A "vacancy" in an office occurs when the holder of it resigns, is removed, or abandons it. An office is abandoned when its holder does not log onto the regional forums for two weeks, or when an election winner or appointee fails to post the Oath of Office. Pending an election, a vacancy may be temporarily filled as provided by the Constitution, this Legal Code, or a rule adopted by the appropriate body.

Dreadton:
Are you planning in running in any of the next three elections?
I am not, but time will tell.

Consider the following,

You are an election commissioner overseeing the May General Election. After a normal nomination period, the voting has been opened. A few days in Bill submits his ballot. He voted for Amy for delegate instead of Steve. The voting period ended at 10:30 UST. However, due to some difficulties you were not able to lock the thread until 10:34 UST. At 10:32 Bill edited his post and changed his vote to Steve.

What, if anything, should be done with Bill's ballot?

I think that the vote would be invalidated. I wasn't able to find anything on this specific topic however I believe it would fall under the same category as the laws listed below because it only applies to the voting period and you must retain citizenship throughout the voting period. You are supposed to vote in the bracket of time that is given. I am not certain in my answer, however.
The Legal Code:
Section 6.3: Voting
14. A citizen's vote will not be valid unless they maintain citizenship for the entire duration of the vote.
15. The number of votes required to achieve quorum for any legislative vote is equal to one third of the number of citizens who have voted in at least one of the three most recent legislative votes. A legislative vote is a vote of the Regional Assembly to enact, amend or repeal laws.

Consider the following,

Bill is running for Speaker. During the election, a citizen brings Treason charges against him. The court accepted the case. From looking at the evidence the citizen provided, you believe that Bill is guilty. It is clear from the vote tally sheet that Bill is winning his election over your preferred candidate.

What should you do?
I would try to halt the election until the court has come to a verdict involving the trial. It would require a majority vote among the Election Commission, I believe.
The Legal Code:
19. If the full Election Commission determines that the actions under review are not in compliance with the law or their adopted rules, they will have the power, by majority vote, to overrule them. If deemed necessary, they will also have the power, by majority vote, to restart the election, or designate different commissioners to supervise the election.

Last edited:

Take a look at this. Does the rules change any of your answers?

I believe that Holdac have answered all the questions correctly. Thus, I moved that the appointment of Holdac as Election Commissioner will be approved.

If that is a motion to vote, I would like to note my preemptive objections to the scheduling of the vote. It hasn't even been 24 hours!

If that is a motion to vote, I would like to note my preemptive objections to the scheduling of the vote. It hasn't even been 24 hours!
May I know if when will be the best time to vote? Are there still members who want to interpellate?

May I know if when will be the best time to vote? Are there still members who want to interpellate?
Typically a couple of days are sufficient period to wait. Depends on the speed of which Holdac responds to questions. However, I can assure you that there will still be more questions to be asked. Additionally, you'll note that Dreadton asked a followup question.

I believe that Holdac have answered all the questions correctly. Thus, I moved that the appointment of Holdac as Election Commissioner will be approved.
I believe you should read the laws and regulations relating to the Election Commission, because I'm not sure Holdac has answered all the questions correctly, 100%.

Typically a couple of days are sufficient period to wait. Depends on the speed of which Holdac responds to questions. However, I can assure you that there will still be more questions to be asked. Additionally, you'll note that Dreadton asked a followup question.
With this I would like to withdraw my motion and may I request Holdac to respond quickly to questions and I request all the membera to please ask your questions now so we can proceed to the voting process. Thank you

I believe you should read the laws and regulations relating to the Election Commission, because I'm not sure Holdac has answered all the questions correctly, 100%.
Then if that is the case we shall vote against his appointment. However, this will be done in due time

Then if that is the case we shall vote against his appointment. However, this will be done in due time
With this I would like to withdraw my motion and may I request Holdac to respond quickly to questions and I request all the membera to please ask your questions now so we can proceed to the voting process. Thank you
I think you should be more patient. There are plenty of people who haven't seen this thread yet, and it takes time to answer questions.

I nominated Holdac because I find him to be hard working, trustworthy and enthusiastic. I think he will do a good job. Yes, he is primarily a roleplayer. But whether or not you're a card farmer, an rmber, or a roleplayer, you all have a stake in how our democracy works and functions, and I admire people stepping forward and showing a willingness to serve more.

I also really do not think that one needs to know all the EC's rules back to front in order to do a good job. You will also learn on the job and as part of the team.

I nominated Holdac because I find him to be hard working, trustworthy and enthusiastic. I think he will do a good job. Yes, he is primarily a roleplayer. But whether or not you're a card farmer, an rmber, or a roleplayer, you all have a stake in how our democracy works and functions, and I admire people stepping forward and showing a willingness to serve more.

I also really do not think that one needs to know all the EC's rules back to front in order to do a good job. You will also learn on the job and as part of the team.
Mr. Delagate May I know what's your position in the voting process? And is it possible that your office may send telegrams to all members so they can also see this thread?

Mr. Delagate May I know what's your position in the voting process? And is it possible that your office may send telegrams to all members so they can also see this thread?
opinion of voting process: good

Regarding a telegram, I don't think it is necessary for this particular topic.

With respect, this process does not need to proceed in a truncated or hasty manner. There is very much no need to rush for this appointment.

We will convince others to support the appointment of Holdac. THANK YOU
You have flip-flopped on your position constantly in the last hour. You should wait for Holdac to finish answering all the potential questions to make a decision. Let me repeat, there are many citizens who have not had the opportunity to ask questions.

You have flip-flopped on your position constantly in the last hour. You should wait for Holdac to finish answering all the potential questions to make a decision. Let me repeat, there are many citizens who have not had the opportunity to ask questions.
Just help us because we are just new to this game relax for I will not insist my motion.Is this how you treat your member nations?I understood your point you don't have to emphasize that to me.

Just help us because we are just new to this game relax for I will not insist my motion.Is this how you treat your member nations?I understood your point you don't have to emphasize that to me.
What I am trying to say is I will convince other nations to visit this thread so we can come up with a decision. You better inform others regarding this matter do not scold us

What I am trying to say is I will convince other nations to visit this thread so we can come up with a decision. You better inform others regarding this matter do not scold us
Other people will visit this thread when they have time. You don't have to do that. The confirmation process takes time because we're not all available all the time. I think you need to relax and take it slow.

Also, try not to double post. You've done that 3 times in this thread already. If you have more to say, edit your last post.

This process need not be hastened nor ought it be proded. I would much rather the nominee articulate on their responses and do so in a reasonable amount of time then for them to submit to requests for them to answer quicker and thus stumble when answering questions. With that in mind, a question of my own:

Suppose that a citizen were to petition the Election Commission at large to review a decision of the Election Supervisors by indicating such in the Elections forum. As I am sure you are aware, the Election Commission would then vote between a handful of options. Firstly, please identify what these options are, and secondly, please explain what your approach to these various options would be if you were to be confirmed to the Election Commission.

By asking you to explain your approach I am referring to you providing clarification on when you personally would believe each option to be warranted, and if you’re unsure of this then I’d ask that you give examples as to why a given option might need to be selected by the Election Commission. There is no real “right answer” to my second question, I’m more so just gauging what your perspective would look like.

Other people will visit this thread when they have time. You don't have to do that. The confirmation process takes time because we're not all available all the time. I think you need to relax and take it slow.

Also, try not to double post. You've done that 3 times in this thread already. If you have more to say, edit your last post.
Is this a violation of our law when I convince them to visit this thread? I do not think so. Okay that's enough if I have mistaken accept my apology we need your assistance here sir and we don't want to compete with you.

Is this a violation of our law when I convince them to visit this thread? I do not think so. Okay that's enough if I have mistaken accept my apology we need your assistance here sir and we don't want to compete with you.
Kalma lang, kapatid. This is a serious matter, and should be treated with care and patience. We are in no rush. The elections will happen in May, which is two weeks away still.

Take a look at this. Does the rules change any of your answers?
I would like to apologize for taking a while to answer your question. It does change the following:
It administers the elections and ensures that the entire process runs smoothly; tallying votes, pinging citizens and organizing threads. It also does the job of supervising elections through two of the members becoming Election Supervisors for the voting period. The Election Commission also makes sure that the candidates are fit to be running for office before elections begin and that they are fit throughout the entirety of the election. It has the power to restart elections and voting periods if needed.
Section 4.3 of the Legal Code has laws regarding the Election Commission but I believe that the link you included in your question is where I can find the majority of laws and procedures about the subject; Sections 1 through 7.
Suppose that a citizen were to petition the Election Commission at large to review a decision of the Election Supervisors by indicating such in the Elections forum. As I am sure you are aware, the Election Commission would then vote between a handful of options. Firstly, please identify what these options are, and secondly, please explain what your approach to these various options would be if you were to be confirmed to the Election Commission.
As stated by Section Six in the Rules of the Election Commission, I would have to choose between four different options: uphold the decision of the Election Supervisors, overrule the decision and continue the election, overrule the decision and restart the voting period, or overrule the decision and restart the election.
Rules of the Election Commission:
a. Uphold the decision of the Election Supervisors
b. Overrule the decision and continue the election
c. Overrule the decision and restart the voting period
d. Overrule the decision and restart the election
My approach for the first option would be to use it when the petition at hand was something such as somebody failing to vote during the set voting period and Election Supervisors closing the thread before they were able to vote. I would want to use the second option if the decision were to be a mistake on the part of the Election Supervisors, such as not counting a vote because they closed the thread earlier than they were supposed to do. I would want to use the third option if the Election Supervisors had done something like forgetting to put one of the candidates on the voting list for the specific voting period, which would probably call for a redo of the period to give a fair standing for all candidates.
The Legal Code:
28. If during any voting round for a given race a candidacy becomes invalid, then the voting round for that race will be promptly restarted with any invalid candidacies excluded from the new ballot.
My approach towards the fourth option would be that it would only be used if an election was ongoing for several days already and one of the candidates was banjected from TNP or had a serious violation of one of the rules that would normally not allow for them to run in an election. I would want for this be used if the candidate was someone in this election whom had a significant/majority portion of the votes as it would allow for the voters to choose someone that they would prefer instead of having their votes not count. If you did not understand, I am willing to try to rephrase it.

Thank you for being patient with me.

Last edited:
Since @Zyvetskistaahn doesn't seem to be here yet, I'll take care of his usual questions:

In relation to the quasi-judicial function in reviewing the decisions of supervisors of elections, what qualities (and, if considered relevant, experiences) do you have that would assist in carrying out that function?

Does you take any view on when it may be appropriate to exercise the Commission's power to replace Election Supervisors?

How would you count this ballot (presuming that only the candidates shown are standing):
Delegate:

1. < McMasterdonia >
2. < Abstain >
3. < Bobberino >

Would you like to reopen nominations? < No >

Vice Delegate:

1. < Abstain >
2. < Artemis >
3. < Robespierre >

Would you like to reopen nominations? < Yes >

Speaker:

1. < Dreadton >
2. < St George >
3. < ABC >

Would you like to reopen nominations? < Yes | No >

In relation to the quasi-judicial function in reviewing the decisions of supervisors of elections, what qualities (and, if considered relevant, experiences) do you have that would assist in carrying out that function?
I was the Head Executive for the Facet map before it was shut down and I had to work with a lot of people during development and when the map opened up to roleplayers. I think that this experience allows me to make decisions which are fair and just because I had to deal with the enforcement of the specific set of rules which the map had. I think that one of my qualities is my dedication to this region would assist the EC in their work. I enjoy the work that I do for the government and I am willing to better it in any way I can.

Does you take any view on when it may be appropriate to exercise the Commission's power to replace Election Supervisors?
I think that the only time the Commission should have the power to replace Election Supervisors is in situations where the person at hand had done something that showed incredible neglect, irresponsibility or anything else that would damage the progression of the election. It would have to be a decision made by the entirety of the Election Commission as other's opinions could hold importance if a situation like this happened.

Delegate:

1. < McMasterdonia >
2. < Abstain >
3. < Bobberino >

Would you like to reopen nominations? < No >

Vice Delegate:

1. < Abstain >
2. < Artemis >
3. < Robespierre >

Would you like to reopen nominations? < Yes >

Speaker:

1. < Dreadton >
2. < St George >
3. < ABC >

Would you like to reopen nominations? < Yes | No >

I would count the reopening of nominations for the Vice Delegate and Delegate since they are formatted correctly and you can easily tell which option the person put down. I would not count the reopening of nominations for Speaker because the voter did not put down a clear choice.
1. If a voter does not vote Yes or No to a question to re-open nominations for a given office, their vote for that office will not be counted.
I would count the ballot of Speaker since it lists all the candidates properly. I would only count the votes which were not abstentions for the Delegate and Vice Delegate.
2. In all other cases, any portion of a ballot that is properly completed will be counted, even if other portions of the ballot are not.
I would count the ballot as 'incomplete' and would only count the portions which provide a candidate.
The Legal Code:
7. "Candidates" are those citizens who, during the period of the election designated for candidacy declarations, declare themselves or accept a nomination by another citizen as a candidate for an office to be chosen at that election.
It defines what a candidate qualifies as and "abstain" does not fit the requirements. I would refer to this rule:
5. If a voter misspells the name of a candidate on their ballot, their vote will be counted unless it is unclear which candidate they intended to vote for.
I would definitely consult the Election Commission before making a decision like this.

Last edited:
I would count the reopening of nominations for the Vice Delegate and Delegate since they are formatted correctly and you can easily tell which option the person put down. I would not count the reopening of nominations for Speaker because the voter did not put down a clear choice.

I would count the ballot of Speaker since it lists all the candidates properly. I would only count the votes which were not abstentions for the Delegate and Vice Delegate.

I would count the ballot as 'incomplete' and would only count the portions which provide a candidate.

It defines what a candidate qualifies as and "abstain" does not fit the requirements. I would refer to this rule:

I would definitely consult the Election Commission before making a decision like this.
To be clear, what would you put down as who the voter voted for as their first preference in each race (if any) and their later preferences (if any)?

Last edited:
To be clear, what would you put down as who the voter voted for as their first preference in each race (if any) and their later preferences (if any)?

I am not completely certain in my answer, but I think it would be logical to not count the preference in which the abstention was put down. If I were to move the preferences up to fill the gap of the abstention, it could possibly mess with the law shown below as they are not supposed to determine any election results.
The Legal Code:
"Abstentions" are not votes for or against any candidate, and may not be used to determine the results of any election. They may be used for quorum, activity, or other purposes.

Some impressive co-ordination there. Are you the new r3n and Siwale? :P

The motion and second are recognised and a vote will be held (time=1587988836) (in your timezone).

If I were to win the vote, and the only way to stop TNP from being purged would be to lie about the results of one privately submitted ballot, and you knew no one would ever find out, would you lie about the ballot to save the region?

If I were to win the vote, and the only way to stop TNP from being purged would be to lie about the results of one privately submitted ballot, and you knew no one would ever find out, would you lie about the ballot to save the region?
I am confused by this question, but I will answer it to the best of my ability. I would prefer that you clarified or rephrased your question. I am assuming that you wanting to purge the region would be public knowledge during the elections. If this were the case, I would certainly attempt to intervene but not by lying on private ballots. If you were to end up winning the election, then unfortunately, the people chose this fate for themselves by voting for you and I have no right to step in.

Back