-
Pronouns
he/him
TNP Nation
El_Fiji_Grande
Discord
El Fiji Grande (#3446)
Introduction

Personal health is something I hardly ever discuss here, but it's something that's increasingly on my mind as I carry on with life. I used to have a superb metabolism and considered the world my oyster. I could eat anything I wanted, in any quantity, and I'd only get taller. I hated PE class, and didn't go to the gym, preferring instead hiking, cycling, and swimming. By mid-high school, PE was no longer a required class, so I stopped taking it. I was still hiking every weekend, but once college hit, that started to fall by the wayside too. I spent more of my time studying and participating in engineering organizations, only hiking when I found time or felt like it. Now that I have a job, I do very little physical activity during week days, and partake in only occasional hiking on weekends. Part of that's moving to Wisconsin, where there's simply a limited availability of mountains to climb, oceans to swim, and forests to explore. Part of that's scheduling, given my work hours and board gaming hobby. Part of that is that a lack of fitness means those activities require more exertion, and are therefore simply less fun.

I've always been one for lofty dreams, and I like chasing them. I want to explore the world, and I want to spend more time outdoors. I always try to see the world from another perspective, and I enjoy being challenged. In fact, I have a lifelong goal of someday becoming an astronaut. While the odds are (pardon the pun) astronomically low, no one can stop me from trying. For me, it's always been a matter of personal determination and work ethic.

Loathe am I to complain without acting upon these goals. I'm doing this for myself, and this blog will help keep me accountable and focused. I'm starting to become concerned with my body image for the first time in well.. ever. That's not a good thing, and it's something I intend to reverse by putting in the effort. So here goes nothing.

Last edited:
Mile Tracker
DateTime
3/26/202011:53
3/27/202010:03
3/29/202010:34
4/13/202010:10

Last edited:
Days biked to work
Date
5/8/2020
5/11/2020
5/12/2020
5/13/2020
5/14/2020
5/15/2020
6/1/2020
6/2/2020
6/3/2020

Last edited:
Harvard Step Test
DateResting BPMTotal TimeBPM1BPM2BPM3Score
3/28/20201003:4714012412059.1

Last edited:
3/26/2020

I always feel terrible if I don't get the chance to get my blood flowing at least once per day. It degrades my focus, drains my energy, and reduces my motivation to do...anything. It's kind of counter-intuitive that pushing myself to get moving at the start of each day actually gives me more energy to get through and enjoy the rest of it. For instance, I hate the act of getting up early, but I never fail to get more out of each day when I do.

Having endured the Wisconsin winter, working from before dawn until after dusk, I realize I've been lazy. It's too easy to try to pass off my worries for another day, or encourage myself to just find time on the weekend to go hiking or to get outside. I've had opportunities each day to exercise, but I've passed nearly all of them up. That's on me, and can't be scapegoated on Wisconsin, on work, or on anyone else. After reevaluating how I prioritize my time, I've concluded that spending at least a few minutes each day on fitness will make a big difference.

It's an odd time to start. With the second day of the stay at home order in Wisconsin, gyms are closed, and more people are encouraged to spend more, if not all of their time inside. Perhaps it's already getting to me. I felt like I had to do something. So I attempted to run a mile for the first time in three years. Didn't go so well. Not only could I not keep running the whole way, but I got the worst mile time in my life: 11:53. My second worst was 10:04, some years ago. My best time ever was just under six minutes. I generally consider an 8:00 mile time to be alright. It's nothing spectacular, but it's also achievable. It'll be a long up-hill battle back to eight minutes. My first goal will be to keep running the entire mile, no matter how long it takes. My second goal will be to get the time under ten minutes. My third goal will be under nine, and fourth under eight. I'll be keeping track of mile times above.

Last edited:
3/27/2020

I woke up today earlier than usual, feeling hungover. I'd gone to bed in the wee hours of the morning, and had dreamed of nuclear powered flying ocean liners. Naturally, that meant I was beyond drowsy. Since I'm now working at home, I have a little more flexibility with my hours, so I decided to go on a morning run this time instead. I plotted a new route, this time on more level ground. Yesterday's run had two slight uphills and one large downhill section, and I'd prefer to keep it flat, at least for now. Secondly, I donned swim shorts instead of the jeans I had worn yesterday. Weirdly, I discovered I don't own a single other pair of shorts anymore, besides the swim shorts. I also decided to bring a small water bottle with me, though I ultimately didn't need it. As I started on my run, I felt the crisp morning air against my face, and I thought about how good it was to be alive. While I didn't keep running the whole way, I made it substantially farther before I slowed down. Towards the end, I put in a sprint to finish it off. 10:03. My third worst time ever. I really don't think my running ability has improved at all since yesterday. Rather, I think I removed many of the disadvantages I had in yesterday's run, and made this route more comparable to miles I've done in the past.

3/28/2020

I hate doing pushups. More than most people. Even back when I was fit, I recall having noticed that pushups placed a ton of stress on my wrists and elbows in ways that made them particularly unpleasant. However, I recall situps being slightly better. While they didn't have the joint paint of pushups, I recall the disturbing sensation of feeling each of my vertebrae rhythmically impact the mat or gym floor. I could do 35-40 situps reliably, with 47 being the most I ever did in one go. I think the most pushups ever is something like 25. I know, I'm a wimp.

I've decided I want to do situps as part of my routine. Problem is, I discovered this morning that I am now incapable of even a single one. How is this possible - I'm 22 and can't do situps?! I'm not even close. I strain against my weight, and I can barely manage to get my head above the carpet. Even cheating, and using my arms to build momentum to pull myself up is strenuous. I need to work back to this. As much as I like to equate fitness to my mile time metric, even I can't ignore that that's an incomplete picture. So I'm going to start doing other exercises. My idea is to start small and work my way back into things. I'd rather see continuous improvement than making a huge effort all at once and losing motivation.

Having failed situps, I instead did repetitions of like 1/8 situps, which is as far I could go. It's been misting all morning, and while my flight lesson was cancelled, I still have to do some work today despite it being the weekend. I've got some big deadlines on Monday, and wasn't as productive during the week as I'd hoped. But while I feel an obligation to stay near home to get that done, that's no excuse not to get outside. I started this morning with the Harvard Step Test. The reason I selected it is because it has really quantifiable results that will serve as a good metric over time. It also doesn't require any special equipment (just stairs and a stopwatch). I'll keep track of results above.

In the afternoon, I had another brief exercise session. I did roughly 40 squats with a 20lb weight, lunges (which are weirdly hard for me to do), 100 jumping jacks, 25 pushups, and a one-minute plank. I didn't run a mile today because torrential rain fell all afternoon and evening.

Last edited:
3/29/2020

I deleted my repetitions tracker above. It's distracting trying to keep track of just exactly how many pushups or whatever I did. Instead, I'll reserve that spot for a more easily quantifiable metric of progress.

My flight lesson got cancelled again today, so I started this morning by cleaning my apartment. It's been getting messy and has been making staying inside for coronavirus unpleasant. Once the apartment was clean, I started on my morning "workout." I did another 40 squats with a 20lb weight, another set of roughly 30 lunges on each side, 20 pushups (using textbooks on the floor to make sure my forehead went all the way down), 1x one minute plank, 1x 30 second plank, 220 jumping jacks, and 33 total situps. It's kind of funny to note that I don't have any professional weight equipment at home. Instead, I have a large bag of basmati rice that's nearly 20lbs and a big bag of quaker oats that's just over 10lbs that I've been using instead. One thing I also remembered is that doing situps is far easier if you have a bit of weight on your toes. Now, since we're all trying to do our best with social distancing, it's not like I have an exercise buddy to help me out. I figured that putting my feet under the sofa achieves roughly the same effect. I found a situp metronome online, and found that I can now do 22 situps in a row. I'd attribute that to the technique I was using as opposed to any actual physical improvement since when I started a few days ago and could do none at all.

I also ran a mile in the evening. I only made it about 1/5 of a mile before slowing down and having to walk. Soon, I coaxed myself back into a jog, but then slowed to a walk again. The entire mile was start and stop like that. Surprisingly, I still managed to eke out a 10:34, which - while it remains embarrassing, wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected given the circumstances.

Last edited:
Goals
I mentioned in the introduction that I have a lifelong goal of someday becoming an astronaut. My motivation to become fit is primarily for my own health reasons and well-being, but is also partially because physical fitness seems to be my biggest obstacle towards achieving my dream. I did a bit of research into the basic requirements to become a NASA astronaut. These can serve as long-term benchmarks that I can aim for over the next several years.

Basic Requirements:
1. US Citizenship
7hXmdIM.png
2. Bachelors degree in a STEM field from an accredited college or university
7hXmdIM.png
3. Three years of professional experience after obtaining bachelors
gGXHF2D.png
3b. OR 1000 hours as pilot-in-command of a jet aircraft
gGXHF2D.png
4. Distant and near visual acuity
7hXmdIM.png
5. Correctable to 20/20 vision in each eye or better
7hXmdIM.png
6. Blood pressure not in excess of 140/90 while restingUnsure
7. Height of 62 to 75 inches
7hXmdIM.png
8. Completion of the long-duration NASA spaceflight physical exam
gGXHF2D.png
9. Weigh between 110 and 209lbs
gGXHF2D.png
I didn't specifically go into engineering to become an astronaut, but now that I do have my degree and have found a job in the industry, I feel like I'm in a strong position. It's an opportunity I don't want to pass up. At this point, I've already achieved many of the basic requirements, and am well on my way toward getting three years' industry experience (at five months now). I'm concerned with three things: height and fitness. I'm 6'2" tall, which is just barely beneath the height limit. Thankfully, I stopped getting taller a few years ago, but I can't grow another inch! :P My current weight is just over 220lbs, and while I'm unsure what my blood pressure is, I'm absolutely certain that my recent workouts don't even come close to measuring up. Thankfully, these are all interrelated to fitness in general. If I can decrease my weight by roughly 15lbs, increase my fitness and endurance, and improve my blood pressure within the next 2.5 years, I'll meet the basic requirements, assuming I keep my job. What's important is that these metrics are under my control. Of course, simply meeting the minimum requirements likely won't get me very far in the application process, but it'll at the very least get me considered. I'm going to have to do more research into what the spaceflight physical exam entails.

Last edited:
3/30/2020

Woke up at 8:00 am. My alarm didn't go off. Thankfully, since I'm now working from home, that isn't a problem. I got dressed quickly, flipped open my laptop, and got to work. My plan, at least for the duration of this work from home thing, is to perform a small exercise at the top of every hour. So far, I have done: 280 jumping jacks, 100 situps (in blocks of 10), 40 squats (with 20lbs weight), and 100 pushups.

Last edited:
4/1/2020

I was so sore yesterday. I felt like I really needed a break. So I took one. But today, today I was lazy. Definitely put my time in at work, but spent all my spare time working on a plane puzzle. Tomorrow, I'll have to get back to my routine.
Jigsaw-Puzzle-Eurographics-Suisse-Par-Avion-1000-Piece-_1.jpg

4/2/2020

Let's get back to that top of the hour thing; it was helpful. So far, I have done: 300 jumping jacks, 100 situps, 110 pushups, 25 squats, and 10 lunges. My calves were really sore today, and my shins are being achy.

Last edited:
4/5/2020

Seems I go one day full power, then rest the next day. I'm definitely still more active than I was before, but it seems like a bad habit. While I do need to let my body rest once every so often, taking one or even two-day breaks seems counterproductive at this frequency. For instance, I only did ten pushups on 4/4, and only because Yalkan commanded me to do one in an RP VC. Sunday was such a beautiful day, however, that I couldn't resist going outside. Despite the stay-at-home order, Wisconsin has encouraged outside activity under the condition that everyone practice social distancing while on the trails. To that end, all entrance fees for state parks have been waived.

I decided to go to Devil's Lake State Park. What makes it special is that it is surrounded by towering cliffs that makes it reminiscent of Crater Lake in Oregon, albeit at a much smaller scale. And since Wisconsin is modestly flat, the cliffs represent one of the few ways to get above the landscape to enjoy the scenery. There's a loop trail around the lake which is roughly 4.5 miles long with an altitude gain of about 500 feet to get up and down the cliffs, twice. It's not terribly long, and can be hiked in about two hours.

I've been to Devil's Lake twice before, and it's definitely worth the view. However, it may not have been worth it on this occasion. There were approximately five thousand people there. Literally every parking spot on both the north and south shores was full. It was impossible not to encounter others on the trails, and no one was respectful of my space. It was as if everyone was gleefully unaware of the pandemic going around, or had decided not to care.

4/11/2020

While I haven't posted here much in the last week, that doesn't mean I haven't done anything. That said, it's been a pretty quiet week. Today though, I felt the need to bust my chops. I may decide to expand on this later, but simply put... I kayaked nine miles against a brisk wind in cold weather.

4/13/2020

In the past two and a half weeks, I've only had eight days of exercise (nine if I count today). While it is important to give my body a break once in a while, this sort of illustrates to me that I need to really try harder. In my first post, I highlighted just how easy it is to put things off for another day. I can feel myself making excuses and justifying pushing things off. Even when I am trying, I feel like it's a light switch that turns off and on from one day to the next. I have to remember that doing small things each day do make differences.

One thing I noticed while in college was that eating fresh food really made a difference to my overall happiness and energy level. That said, I really hate cooking, so I often eat incomplete meals consisting of whatever's readily at hand. Normally, what this means is that I make an effort to make making good choices as effortless as possible by stocking the fridge with salads, snap peas, carrots, hummus, and bell peppers, and by placing fresh fruit on or near the desk where I work, like apples, tomatoes, and berries. This has definitely become more difficult with the coronavirus pandemic, as I don't have the chance to go to the store as often to restock on fresh foods. Moreover, while I do like to eat fresh fruits and vegetables, I really don't know how to construct healthy full meals, so that's something I'll be working on.

Today, I have done 40 situps, 50 pushups, 120 jumping jacks, and a 75 second plank. I went to the local bike shop to get my bicycle fixed up. Now that weather's really improving, it'll be fun to explore the neighborhood after work and be able to go on longer rides on weekends. I should have it back in a few days. I also noticed that it's been a full two weeks since my last mile. I procrastinated all day, but finally I got out and did it. Despite - or perhaps because - it was 10:40 pm and 31F, I ran a 10:10. Pretty terrible, and relative to my other times, only slightly better than average so far. Despite stretching, my legs felt stiff, and I feel I was held back by the feeling of having to poop the whole way.

This is what I ate today. I wouldn't consider it a typical day, but it wasn't particularly atypical day either. I didn't have much to eat at the start of the day, so skipped breakfast and only had the Delhi potatoes for lunch, with orange juice (a bad combo). I went to Costco to restock on nuts, berries, and veggies, and finished the day with a slightly larger than full meal: Kung Pao chicken over rice.
AfKCskf.png

Last edited:
Thankfully, I didn't capsize. While it was a pretty nice day with low winds, the water temperature was 34F, just above freezing. Perhaps near the end of summer, the water might be warm enough for me to take a dip.

5/2/2020

I cycled around the lake again. This time it took just under two hours. I also did 30 situps.

Last edited:
5/7/2020

After I got off work today, I drove to Cross Plains to do a short four mile hike on the Ice Age Trail. Once I got home, I did a relaxing three mile bike ride.

5/8/2020

I cycled to and from work today (five miles round trip). It's such a luxury to have such a short, pleasant commute. After work, I drove to Cross Plains again for another segment of the Ice Age Trail (also five miles round trip).

5/9/2020

Today, I cycled 31.6 miles in just over three hours. I made a big loop around Lake Monona and Lake Wingra that went through the Madison Arboretum.

5/12/2020

To start this post with what I did today, I cycled to and from work, for a total distance of five miles. But I also want to address quite a bit more. At the start of this thread, I discussed some of the various reasons why I want to become more fit, among them being general health, a desire to spend more time outdoors, and career ambitions. And while all of that is true, I think I missed the mark in that explanation. Improving fitness may serve each of those goals, but it's primarily driven by a need to explore. In other words, fitness isn't so much the goal as it is the result of exploring the world around me. In the last one and a half months since I started this effort, I've definitely spent more time outside, pushing myself to kayak farther distances, cycle around the nearby lakes, and discover new trails. These are experiences that have been improving my life despite the effects of the quarantine making meeting with friends more difficult. I truly appreciate the opportunities I've been giving myself to explore Wisconsin. As such, I've been placing more significance on this sort of quality time to give myself time to reflect, both while I'm out and about, but also to see how far I've come.

5/16/2020
On Saturday, I cycled 34.5 miles around Lake Mendota, to the Madison Arboretum, and along the shores of Lake Monona. I also walked about five miles in the arboretum and tossed frisbee with friends.

5/19/2020
I'm only going to log times I cycle to work in a table above. It's become a pretty regular occurrence now, so it's not worth calling out. I didn't do much in the way of exercise today, but I did do quite a bit of planning for Memorial Day weekend. It's rare that I get 3-day weekends without spending PTO, so I want to take full advantage of the opportunity. I came up with three separate plans. All of them are good plans, and I want to do them sometime soon, even if it isn't this upcoming weekend.

1. Cycle to Milwaukee and back. It's roughly 90-100 miles away, so that's a day's ride away. It's pretty flat, and there are bike paths that go approximately 7/8 of the way, mostly along the Glacial Drumril trail. The idea is to leave either mid-evening Friday or early morning Saturday, bike as far as possible, and camp for the night. I haven't selected a campsite yet, but it's likely to be a bit outside Milwaukee, perhaps a primitive backpacking campsite on the Ice Age trail. I also saw some rentable wooden lake cabins north of Milwaukee that look interesting. Day 2 would consist of cycling into and exploring Milwaukee before returning to the campsite. Day 3 would be the ride back to Madison. Trouble is, there's a moderate-confidence rain forecast for all three days (Sat, Sun, Mon) of the weekend, which might make the ride unpleasant without adequate preparation. To that end, I've got a tent, a sleeping bag rated to 0F, gloves, and a few ideas. I can wear thicker socks, put plastic bags over my shoes (secured with rubber bands), wear either goggles or safety glasses to improve visibility, wear a rain jacket, and put a beanie on under the helmet. I invested in water resistant saddlebags today to carry water, food, and other supplies, such as camping gear and a spare change of clothes. This is the current plan, and as such, is the most developed.

2. Trip to Badlands Natl Park. It's about a 700 mile drive away, so approximately 11 hours away. That's a lot of driving. To make it worth it, it would make most sense to take a day of PTO the day before and/or after Memorial Day weekend to increase the length of the trip. I'd bring my camping gear, food, water, clothes, and other supplies, such as an emergency satellite locator and water filter. I'd spend the days hiking and exploring the park, and nights camping in seclusion under the stars.

3. Climb a 14er. I've got a couple friends located in Boulder, CO who are outdoorsy like me. Boulder is about 1000 miles away, and would be a 14-15 hour drive. That's a monstrosity of a drive, but I once drove a similar distance from San Luis Obispo, CA to Grand Junction, CO in a single day, so while unpleasant, it is doable. It would make sense to add one day of PTO to make the drives more manageable and allow for extra time both planning and driving out to camp in closer proximity to the mountain. Colorado has dozens of mountains over 14,000 ft high, and a few are close to Boulder, including Longs, Torreys, and Greys Peak, as well as Mt Bierstadt. Unfortunately, this idea will have to wait until later in the summer, as my friend informed me that these peaks remain inaccessible for now.

Whilst perusing the forum out of boredom I stumbled upon this blog of yours. As someone who has tried and failed many times to get into a personal fitness regimen, I admire your dedication, not to mention your commitment to your dream of becoming an astronaut! Best of luck Fiji, we're all rooting for you :D

5/22/2020 - 5/24/2020
I'll definitely expand upon this when I get the chance, but... long story short:
As planned, I cycled all the way from Madison to Milwaukee and back again. It took two and a half days, and I covered just over 190 miles.
D1: 53 miles D2: 74 miles D3: 65 miles

5/25/2020
Today, I took a walk at Rock Lake, and briefly swam in the cold water.

It's really time I expanded upon this story, as I promised I would. As I mentioned before, for the past several weeks I've been feeling restless. The initial urge to get outside has been consumed by an overwhelming need to explore. Thankfully, those goals overlap. I've been thinking up crazier and crazier ideas for trips and holidays, and it occurred to me that some of these things could be achieved practically in my backyard. It was thus that I thought up my idea for a bicycle tour from Madison to Milwaukee and back during Memorial Day Weekend.

A bit of background: since moving to the Madison area, I've heard talk about a bike trail that runs the length of this trip. After conducting a bit of research, I found that the trail - the Glacial Drumlin State Trail - goes the majority of the way, though not all the way. Thankfully, however, there are trails within Madison that nearly make it to the Glacial Drumlin trailhead, and on the other side - following a brief gap in Waukesha - the New Berlin and Hank Aaron trails complete the trek, depositing you in downtown Milwaukee itself. The total distance is 91.6 miles there, and accounting for a few deviations for restrooms, water refills, campsites, and cycling around Milwaukee, you're looking at about 195 miles round trip.

While I had originally planned to break it down into three days - Saturday (cycle to Milwaukee), Sunday (explore Milwaukee), and Monday (cycle home to Madison) - I decided instead to leave half a day early. I chose to do this because the majority of my colleagues at work had taken the day off entirely, and so I wasn't able to get as much done myself. Moreover, everything was packed, the weather was perfect, and I wanted to not only give myself an extra day camping, but ease the burden of the ride to give myself some margin for error. Before leaving work, I made sure to print off a few route maps to take with me. I drove home from work, picking up an extra saddle bag at the store on my way home, reallocated some cans of soup from my backpack to the new saddle bag, and took off. On the way out, a neighbor asked me where I was going, and I replied simply "Milwaukee." He didn't even blink. I suppose he's gotten used to my crazy ideas these last few months when he helped me carry my kayak up and down the staircase in the apartment building and cycled around the park together.

I live in a suburb on the west side of Madison, so it took me some time to reach Cottage Grove where the Glacial Drumlin trail begins. This first part of the trip includes a route I have cycled many times before, albeit in reverse: through the University of Wisconsin: Madison, down State Street to the Capitol Square, to the Monona Terrace and around the southeast side of Lake Monona. Right as I reached the end of that segment, I knew I'd have to turn off the trail at some point to get to Cottage Grove, but wasn't sure what that turn off was. I pulled out my bag, making an initially cursory but then more desperate search for my maps as I came to the realization I must have left them at home. I wasn't going back. Thankfully, I was able to ask a stranger for the way, and found myself going down Cottage Grove Rd. From there, I took out my phone and navigated the rest of the way. I didn't want to waste unnecessary battery, but I did need to find the trailhead.

When I finally got to the trailhead of the Glacial Drumlin state trail, my first thought was one of crushing disappointment. I had assumed the trail would be paved, making it easy to coast on the straights and downhills, and reducing the effort to bike the uphill sections. Instead, the trail was a course gravel, of the sort I'd have to have mountain bike tires for, and I immediately started working out what my best plan of action would be. I wondered just how much more difficult the bike tour would be with this terrain, and if I'd be able to cycle roughly parallel to it on paved country roads. Nevertheless, I started on my way, pulling myself up a steep incline before slowly descending the other side. To my welcome surprise, after traversing that first hill and turning a corner, the trail became paved for a small segment, and then reverted to a super finely packed dirt and fine gravel surface. I was relieved when I saw this surface stretch into the distance, because I could easily handle it. If anything, it was actually nicer than a paved trail, both for the aesthetic and for the grip.

The trail out of Cottage Grove is incredibly straight. There were several dozen people in the first mile or so, running, cycling, or just walking with their dogs or friends. But from there, the people thinned out. I found that around each town, there would be a handful of people, and perhaps one or two whenever the trail crossed a country road, but much of the way was remarkably quiet. I would ride for several miles without seeing anyone else, listening only to the wind, the birds, and the sound of my own - increasingly ragged - breathing. The trail was very nice, peaceful, and beautiful. Wild flowers grew on both sides, and a dense canopy of foliage hung above, shrouding the path in vivid greens. Every so often, I'd come upon a view of a farm, with vast plowed fields and gigantic linear irrigation equipment at a standstill over them. Every few minutes, I would cycle through a cloud of gnats or mosquitoes, accidentally breathe a few in as I gulped for air, and found myself swatting my arms to get any that had landed there off. My arms became sweaty, with small black spots where I had crushed insects.

QVA0PZt.jpg

At some point, the trail exited the fields and trees, and entered the Lake Mills Wildlife Area, also named Zeloski Marsh. The wooded canopy fades and clear blue sky could be seen from horizon to horizon. The trail stays the course, remaining nearly perfectly straight, but the scenery changed to a freshwater marsh, with lush green grass on both sides and canals of sitting water. I could see geese and goslings, cranes, ducks, and herons, red-winged blackbirds, and yellow warblers. I found a small wooden bench and enjoyed a late afternoon snack.

After continuing, I passed through Lake Mills and saw Rock Lake. The trail passes directly over the neck of the lake on a wooden bridge, and I saw a cozy spot to off to one side of the path with a picnic table, a view of the lake, and a spot to enter the water. I knew I would return (more on that later). Lake Mills looks like an incredibly nice town, and of all the lakes I've seen so far in Wisconsin, it's felt the nicest. I suppose I'd only prefer if there were more sailboats instead of motorboats, and more windsurfers instead of jet skis. After passing through some road construction, I continued along the path, making my way out of town.

After Lake Mills, the trail really became quite sparse. I likely cycled about a dozen miles between each stranger I saw. The trail returned to the wooded foliage and occasional farm as the scenery continued to roll by. One thing I hadn't been prepared for was just how much my seat would begin to hurt as I continued. I suppose I just don't have a sufficient build-up of strategic callouses in all the right places yet. I also felt a bit more strain in my knees than usual, and found my elbows also became quite sore as the day wore on. As such, the longer I cycled, the more frequent breaks I took, the more water I drank, and the slower I became. While normally I can easily maintain roughly 12 mph, when weighed down with supplies, clothing, and camping equipment, I found my average speed to be just eight or nine miles per hour, which I was frankly still quite happy with.

One of the really nice things about the Glacial Drumlin Trail is that it avoids as many big roads as it can, but when it does hit one, it makes it very easy to cross. After Lake Mills, the trail passed over Highway 26 as I made my way towards Jefferson. Just on the other side of the highway overpass, I was struck by the visual monstrosity of a tremendously ugly, gigantic, and seemingly abandoned building. It had massive monolithic walls of concrete and was surrounded by a barbed wire security fence and what appeared to be a tailwater basin. At the time, I thought it might have been a communal grain silo or an old power plant. As I later learned, it's an ethanol plant.

In Jefferson, there's a small gap in the trail, and I cycled along the side of a country road, passing stereotypical American houses with big yards. There was one house at the top of a gradual hill with several kids playing in the yard, all of whom eyed me suspiciously. In the yard of another house were roughly a dozen wooden well-tops, likely intended to be crafty planters or bird feeders. It seemed like a quiet, backwater town, but I had to remember it wasn't nearly as remote as I was imagining. Located just minutes from Highway 26 and located less than an hour by car from either Madison or Milwaukee, it wasn't really that far from the cities. It was just my new warped sense of distance by bicycle that was making it feel so distant. Not before long, the trail resumed, picking up just as it had left off, with wooded foliage, wildflowers, and birds.

My original goal was to make it to Lapham Peak Backpacking Campground to make camp, but as I continued, I came to realize that would likely not be possible. I was still roughly 20 miles away, and I was much more tired than when I had started. Evening was clearly on its way, and the sun was low on the horizon. Thankfully, in such a lonely area, with thick foliage on both sides of the trail, I knew it would be easy to find a stealth camping site. The general idea with that is to find a spot that's off the main trail so as not to be seen by anyone - whether that be pedestrians or cyclists, landowners or law enforcement. Additionally, you make camp quietly, don't have a fire, and leave the land without a trace early the next morning. I'm not one to advocate trespassing and soliciting - so make your own decisions - but I personally see little harm in stealth camping so long as it is done respectfully.

I began searching for a suitable place to do just that. Unfortunately, the land to both sides of the trail was essentially a bog, with thick mud and standing surface water. This continued for miles, and I didn't even notice that I had passed through Helensville except for an old silo next to the path and an old train tunnel that I passed through. The sun set, the air cooled, and the sound of insects became increasingly evident. At long last, I found what seemed like an almost ideal spot. There was an unused field of yard-high grasses, a number of small trees, and a Wisconsin farmhouse far in the distance. In my exhaustion, I deliberately chose to ignore the posted No Trespassing sign, made my way off the trail, and found a secluded spot in a tiny meadow surrounded by the small trees. I began to roll out my tent, prepare the structural supports, and was about twenty percent done with setting up my campsite when I heard voices, and froze. A minute later, I heard someone pop off two rounds, and a deer leap out of the undergrowth not fifty feet away from me, run across the field, and disappear once again. I cursed under my breath; serves me right. I wasn't in the mental state to risk having to calmly explain my presence to a landowner with a gun, so I hurriedly grabbed my things and got the hell out of there. I didn't even bother re-rolling my tent, instead simply holding it in one hand as I continued onwards along the path. I made it several more miles, passing a creepy car junkyard and the town of Sullivan. About a mile past Sullivan, I found the ideal campsite. A small game trail led just over a small knoll and fallen tree trunk to a flat, dry, forested area with no line of sight to the trail, to any neighboring farms, businesses, or houses, and was perfectly quiet.

I made camp by laying down a tarp, setting up my tent on top, and by throwing - and tying down - a tarp over the top. I was extra prepared because there had been a rain forecast for all three days of my trip. I locked my bicycle to a tree and stowed all the food, water, flashlights, maps, and other supplies inside the tent, before crawling in myself and curling up in my sleeping bag. It wasn't very late, but it was dark, I didn't have much to do, and I was terribly exhausted after several hours of work and nearly twice as long on the trail. After briefly looking at some maps to see how far I'd come, I messaged my friends and family to let them know I was well, and quickly descended into a deep sleep.

~~NOT DONE~~

Last edited:
6/1/2020
Biked to work again today. After coming home from work, I made a circuit of the park in under twenty minutes.

6/2/2020

After biking home from work, I cycled round trip an additional 15 miles to downtown Madison and back to check out the protests and damage to State St.

6/5/2020

Put together another plan for the weekend. Will cycle the Military Ridge State Trail to Dodgeville and back this weekend. I'll be checking out the Governor Dodge State Park as well, hopefully with time to go swimming.

6/6/2020

I just found this video, and realized it should be shared. I'll expand more later (because I have to be underway for my cycling trip), but this video really explains the mindset I've had for the last few months since I started this thread.
Today, I cycled just over 59 miles.

Last edited:
Damn, nice!! I've been trying to get back into the swing of fitness lately and been struggling to keep up with it. Glad to see you've been able to succeed :)

Back