[Draft] Industrial Standards Act

Greifenstolz

Registered
Industrial Standards Act

Category: Free Trade | Strength: Mild​

The World Assembly,

Recognizing
that nations often determine their own industrial standards due to history, culture and needs;

Aware that differences in standards can create technological incompatibilities and thus trade barriers between nations;

Realizing that the creation of international standards can decrease those barriers and improve the free flow of trade goods between nations;

Understanding that enforcing universal standards in every case might not be desirable;

Still believing that creating and spreading standards and norms will have positive effects on the economic grow of nations;

Hereby,
  1. Creates the International Bureau for Standards and Norms (IBSN) with the purpose of creating, maintaining and optimizing international standards and norms for industrial and consumer products in cooperation with the governments and industries of the member nations.
  2. Requires its member nations to submit their own standards and norms to the IBSN in an effort to find the most suitable standards and norms, except if revealing those standards and norms would harm the member nation due to being of sensitive or military nature.
  3. Encourages its member nations to adopt those standards wherever possible.

A rough first draft for an idea I got. Seeing that the UN actually had something for international standards and norms at some point (the UNSCC), and also seeing that something like that doesn't seem to exist in the WA yet, I thought I might as well try and work on that. Not sure about category/strength, though.

You referred to the UNSCC, whatever that is (I tried googling it but came up with nothing), but I think this would be more like the ISO, no?

A rough first draft for an idea I got. Seeing that the UN actually had something for international standards and norms at some point (the UNSCC), and also seeing that something like that doesn't seem to exist in the WA yet, I thought I might as well try and work on that. Not sure about category/strength, though.

Not a fan of just creating a bureau for the single purpose of creating standards and norms. Creative idea, but too little detail to pass. Maybe include areas it regulates, how it regulates it, and the benefits and disadvantages of the regulations, for starters?

Last edited:
This definitely has some promise. As stated above, there is an issue with creating a proposal that just creates a committee. Also, make sure the committee is only inspired by real life topics, not a direct rip off.

In general, I think it would be good to mandate specific standards, have this committee ensure those standards are met, and then mandate the creation of national level standards that have to be reported to the committee as well. The committee would operate insuring both international and national standards are being met.

Can we introduce this proposal to the council?

Back