The Fight Continues

plembobria

TNPer
-
Anyone looking to get involved in this RP can inquire here

Legislative Assembly of the Autonomous Province of Crilalia

Moved on March the 20th of 2020 by Mr. Flores
The Legislative Assembly, pursuant to Chapter 2 §4.34 of the Crialia Act (2019), makes the following request to the Privy Council at Rethel:

The Legislative Assembly requests that the Queen-in-Council grant them the authority to hold a referendum on the question of independence from the Kingdom of Plembobria, and, upon the passage of said referendum, guarantee that the Autonomous Province be fully granted independence and sovereignty as an independent nation.

Approved by the Legislative Assembly and published in the Legislative Record. Request to be transmitted to the President of the Privy Council by certified letter.

hgMmiWG.png

Response of the Attorney General's Office to the request of the Crilalian parliament
On March the 20th, the Legislative Assembly of Crilalia transmitted a formal request under Chapter 1 Section 16 of the Crilalia Act to be granted the authority to hold a referendum on their independence from Plembobria. At the assembly of the Privy Council at the Queen's court in Rethel the following day, the Queen accepted the advice of her ministers to refer the request to the legal council of the Attorney General's office to determine the legality of the request.

In accordance with the recent High Court case decided in 2018 with respect to the provinces previous attempt at independence, we have determined that granting the province such authority would exceed the powers of Queen's decree power as authorized by the Constitution Act and the Crilalia Act. According to the aforementioned ruling, Crialia's inclusion within the nation of Plembobria is legally found within the Act of Settlement of 1799, which is considered a constitutional document. Thus, no authorization of a legally binding independence referendum can be authorized without constitutional amendment.

This opinion was presented to the government after our office had finished our legal review of the matter, and it has thus determined to advise the Her Majesty against the issuing of such an unconstitutional decree.

Last edited:
The Queen’s Lounge, Rethel Palace

Today was an important day for Queen Maria the second. Today was her first audience with the Prime Minister. Although she retained the full powers of the monarchy the moment the she had ascended, it was expected that the ministers would perform the ceremonial functions until her coronation. Now that that had concluded, she now would assume her full ceremonial duties. She now would hold court, where she presided over the Privy Council and accepted their advice, approve bills in person (unless she didn’t want to), and most importantly, hold private audiences with the Prime Minister, as mandated in the Constitution. Hector had coached her on this again and again. How to hold the right presence, how to guide the conversation, how to ask meaningful but reserved questions, and most importantly: address the Crilalian situation. There had been a late-night meeting of the provincial families. Here they discussed the best position for the monarchy to take. Privately of course. The political views of the families were top secret. Any influence they may or not exert is entirely to be kept out of public view. The elected leaders called the shots, or so it should appear.

Maria was no politician. She had little interest in politics. When Timothy would engage his mother over the political happenings of the nation, she’d ignore them. She had more important things to worry about. Now she was Queen. Queen of Plembobria and part of Plembobria was trying to leave. Maria didn’t want to be Queen of smaller Plembobria! Something needed to be done!

She sat on her chair across from her was where the Prime Minister would sit. Her attendant opened the door. She took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and tried to remember her training. “Your Majesty, the Prime Minister.”

“Good afternoon, your Majesty,” he said standing before her. The Queen didn’t rise. He just stood there awkwardly. She stared for a second. “Um, hello,” she finally responded, gesturing towards his seat.

“Your majesty, I’m…”

“Oh yeah, you have to kiss my ring.” She stood. The Prime Minister took her hand and kissed it, bowing slightly, then they sat down.

“We have quite a bit to discuss today. The first being our annual school funding program. The government has made a few changes to the last years arrangement.”

The PM droned on and on, discussing this and that. Maria spaced out. On and on. Subsection what is it of chapter whatever. Bold new plan. Brilliant economic vision. So on and so forth. She tried to remember to smile and nod and say, “yes” and “of course,” and “I see.” It seemed like an hour had passed…

“And of course, Your Majesty, there is the issue of Crilalia.” She perked up at the mention of the province. “They want us to let them vote, right?”

“Yes however, the attorney general’s opinions clearly states, that it’s illegal to simply allow them to go about…”

“Illegal?” She thought about what Hector said. “The Queen represents the kingdom. She must unify the nation.”

“Yes. You see the law requires that…”

“Well you’re in parliament, aren’t you? Make it legal!” She sat up straighter. “In the lounge, you are in charge. He works for you.”

“Well, it’s a legal quandary, ma’am. We’d have to assemble a team to go about the issue of allowing it, plus, it’s very much my government’s position to preserve this nation’s borders where they are.”

The Queen sat silent for a moment. Hector told her it would get here. What is it he said to say…?

“If we keep putting this off, they will keep asking. We have to let them make the decision and convince them to make the right one. I’ll go move there for a month if I have to.”

Now the PM was silent. He thought for moment. “I understand your majesty. I’ll bring your thoughts to the government next meeting.”

“Great.” The queen darted her eyes back and forth wondering how she was supposed to tell him to leave. He stood. “Thank you, your majesty.” He left the room. As soon as he had left, the queen looked at her phone. Hector walked in.

“That was great! That is how you run an audience. I couldn’t have done better myself.” Maria smirked. “I am the Queen.”

“Yes, indeed you are! And this is a victory for everyone.”

“The Queen is going take a nap now.”

ncg27zb.png

Crilalia Independence Referendum Act

An Act to provide for the holding of a referendum on the independence of the Autonomous Province of Crilalia, and for other purposes

MARIA THE SECOND, by the will of the Goddess, Queen of Plembobria and its realms and territories, Governor of Rethel, and Lady Protector of the Provinces of Crilalia and Céndia, let it be known that the House of Commons in Parliament has approved and I do grant my royal assent to this Act:
Chapter I General Provisions
  1. The Queen may by decree require the Royal Election Commission hold a referendum on the independence of the Autonomous Province of Crilalia.
  2. The referendum will be compulsory.
  3. The penalty for the failure to vote in such referendum shall be the same as that in the most recent election for House of Commons.
Chapter II Passage of the Referendum
  1. Upon the approval of the referendum, according to the requirements set forth by decree, the Attorney General shall:
  2. Bring forth an amendment to the Act of Settlement (1799) to the House of Commons in order to allow for the lawful withdrawal of the Autonomous Province from the Kingdom.
  3. Upon the approval of such amendment as stated in (a) Appoint a Royal Commission on the Withdrawal of the Autonomous Province of Crilalia to negotiate the terms of withdrawal and advise the Government matters related to the withdrawal.
Chapter III Independence of Crilalia
  1. Upon the satisfaction of all other requirements, the Parliament shall consider a bill granting the Autonomous Province of Crilalia complete independence from the Kingdom.
Chapter IV Expiration of Provisions
  1. The provisions of this Act shall be null and void two years after its passage if no bill regarding the independence of the Autonomous Province of Crilalia is enacted.

ENACTED April 3rd, 2020.

Notice: Her Majesty the Queen at her court in Rethel has notified Clerk of the House:

I, being unable to attend to the House in person, have granted the Crilalia Independence Referendum Act (2020) my royal assent today, April 4th, 2020, and send this as notice of such assent to the House of Commons.

Last edited:
Back