Alamei for Justice - A New Hope

Alamei

TNPer
TNP Nation
Alamei
My name is Alamei, and I'm honored to stand as a candidate for Justice. I bring an experienced legal background to TNP, serving as The Versutian Federation's Minister of Justice for two and a half years, and overseeing ten cases in that time. Additionally, I authored and passed Constitutional Amendments Act #7, strengthening popular control over government officials by lowering excessively high impeachment thresholds, empowering the Court to immediately review actions taken during states of emergency, which could otherwise be maintained indefinitely, and removing the holdovers of a provision which allowed the citizenship status of unpopular nations to be revoked by popular vote in the absence of any legal wrongdoing or recourse after the fact.

More than stories of glories past, I bring to TNP a robust judicial philosophy prioritizing integrity, impartiality, and fairness above all. The Court exists as a shield before it exists as a sword - a bulwark against government corruption or overreach which threatens individual liberties and democratic principles, as well as a recourse for citizens wronged by the actions of private individuals. Yet the execution of justice itself must be precise, calculated, and proportionate, lest the aegis of righteousness give way to a clumsy melee. Throughout my time in NationStates, my motivation to serve as a justice has never been about avarice or political ambition, but about service - to channel my passion for legal complexities into something good, for the protection and health of the community as a whole. As Justice, I will make it my mission to ensure not that the Court neglects to issue punishment where it is warranted -- for to do so begets greater harm in the long run -- but that it wields its considerable power responsibly, keeping in mind that its most solemn duty is to the greater good, to the mission of equitable justice under the law.

As part of the Court's duty to service, one of my priorities is accessibility and transparency in the legal process. To that end I was pleased to see the AGORA Act render the Court more accessible to the common citizen, eliminating a layer of abstraction between a claimant's plea and the Court's ear, while providing for a prosecutor in the event that a claimant does not feel they possess the knowledge or desire to adequately litigate their case. If elected, I would also propose a rules change: while the Moderating Justice wields supreme authority over the execution of the case, the other Justices shall also empowered to ask questions of its participants for the purposes of clarification. As the Court renders verdicts collectively, this would give all Justices a greater opportunity to make a fully informed decision, instead of relying on the Moderating Justice to act as a middleman to ensure the concerns of the wider Court are addressed. Just as this would pave the way for the Court to be more informed and collaborative in hearing a case, so too would it improve transparency and openness in the Court's questioning and decision-making process for court participants and the public at large.

I welcome any questions, complaints, and/or verbal abuse.

You haven’t really been that involved here, despite evidently being around for a while. Do you think you will become involved in more areas of the region? Is there a particular reason you haven’t until now?

You haven’t really been that involved here, despite evidently being around for a while. Do you think you will become involved in more areas of the region? Is there a particular reason you haven’t until now?
To be frank, I'm one to quietly acquaint myself with the laws and day-to-day operation of a region, or any online community, before drawing attention to myself. My line of thinking is that it's important to make sure what you have to say is worthwhile and well-informed before you say it. Which is not to denigrate anyone else's participation in the community or way of orientating themselves to it, of course, but a more introverted model of interaction.

Now that I've become more comfortable and taken my first steps into the region, I expect that I will participate more and in more diverse areas, including the Discord. I've come to appreciate the many opportunities and the people of this region, and it's my intent to better acquaint myself with them and serve them to the best of my ability.

Last edited:
The general public has expressed concern over what they perceive as overly harsh sentencing in court cases, can you explain your approach to determining a proper sentence in a criminal case?

Consider the following situation:

@Bobberino was banjected from the region by the Gameside Advocate SNEK. At the time of banject, Bob was a citizen in good standing. The next day Bob moves from The Rejected Realms to another region. The Speaker updates the citizen sheets 5 days later.

1) Consider the above and the following. The Speaker upon updating the citizen sheet sees that Bob no longer has a nation in the region and revokes Bob's citizenship. Bob files an R4R challenging the removal of his citizenship. Using existing law and case history, who would likely prevail? Why?

2) Consider the above and the following. After being ejected from the region, Bob files an R4R challenging his ejection. The R4R is accepted and the SNEK is asked to provide a reason and a link to the post triggering the ejection. The SNEK provides a link to a post in which Bob says, "I don't like SNEKS, I rather be a Mongoose." The Snek states Bob was banned for flamebaiting. Bob states he was not flame baiting and his post was within the Frees Speach laws of the region.

a) Assume the SNEK is correct, does Bobs Right to Free Speach superceed NS rules on Flamebaiting?

b) Assume Bob is correct, what would be the appropriate remedy to this situation?

The general public has expressed concern over what they perceive as overly harsh sentencing in court cases, can you explain your approach to determining a proper sentence in a criminal case?

Consider the following situation:

@Bobberino was banjected from the region by the Gameside Advocate SNEK. At the time of banject, Bob was a citizen in good standing. The next day Bob moves from The Rejected Realms to another region. The Speaker updates the citizen sheets 5 days later.

1) Consider the above and the following. The Speaker upon updating the citizen sheet sees that Bob no longer has a nation in the region and revokes Bob's citizenship. Bob files an R4R challenging the removal of his citizenship. Using existing law and case history, who would likely prevail? Why?

2) Consider the above and the following. After being ejected from the region, Bob files an R4R challenging his ejection. The R4R is accepted and the SNEK is asked to provide a reason and a link to the post triggering the ejection. The SNEK provides a link to a post in which Bob says, "I don't like SNEKS, I rather be a Mongoose." The Snek states Bob was banned for flamebaiting. Bob states he was not flame baiting and his post was within the Frees Speach laws of the region.

a) Assume the SNEK is correct, does Bobs Right to Free Speach superceed NS rules on Flamebaiting?

b) Assume Bob is correct, what would be the appropriate remedy to this situation?

Thank you for your questions.

1) A strict interpretation of precedent would suggest that Bob would prevail, and the revocation of his citizenship would be ruled unlawful, per the Court's verdict in the case of Gracius Maximus:
The court notes, however, that for purposes of losing citizenship, ejections do not constitute leaving the region, since the ejected nation was forcibly removed and took no action to leave. Thus, under the law as it currently stands, ejected citizens would remain citizens until they ceased to exist, returned the region and then departed of their own volition, or failed to post on the forum for over 30 consecutive days.
The outcome is a bit nebulous where it comes to Bob moving his nation out of The Rejected Realms and into another region - this could be constituted as voluntarily moving his TNP nation to another region; however, given that Bob in this scenario was banjected rather than simply ejected, it was impossible for him to make a good-faith effort to rejoin TNP and retain his citizenship. If Bob were to let his nation CTE following his banjection from TNP, or fail to file an R4R within 30 days of its occurrence, then the Speaker stripping him of his citizenship would be in accordance with proper procedure. Failing that, in light of the above precedent, I would give this win to Bob.

2)
a) While I would not deem Bob's statement to be an abuse of free speech, given the mildness of the statement, there's no escaping that this region exists within the context of NS, and has no choice but to submit to the rules thereof:
7.3: 11. Violators of NationStates rules, or residents banned offsite by forum administration, may be subject to summary ejection or banning.
b) Per my above response vis a vis the legality of Bob's statement under TNP law, I would void Bob's ejection/ban, and, assuming this is the first such occurrence, issue a warning to the Gameside Advocate, given that his ejection of Bobberino was seemingly more motivated by personal offense to his remarks than on solid legal grounds.

---------

As to your question on sentencing procedures and overly harsh punishments, the Court should consider the following in its sentencing:
1) Whether it is a first-time or repeated offense
2) Whether the offense could be construed as a genuine accident or misunderstanding, or whether it was a conscious and deliberate infringement
3) The overall legal standing of the defendant (have they been convicted before? What were the severity of the crime(s)?)
4) Precedent in similar cases
5) Whether the sentence is proportionate to and relevant to the offense (that is, it adequately mitigates the problem)

In general, the Court should come from a position of understanding and use only the amount of legal force which is strictly necessary to address the problem, keeping in mind the above provisos. If it then becomes a repeated problem or is already an established pattern of behavior, harsher punishments up to and including banning may be warranted, given that in the former case, the sentence issued previously was evidently not an adequate remedy, and in the latter, there exist multiple counts of infringement before the matter was brought to court (assuming that the defendant had been made aware by officials that the behavior was unlawful).

Last edited:
@Alamei I want to start off by saying, I am very glad you decided to accept your nomination and throw your hat into the ring. I know this is an area of this game that matters a lot to you and believe you approach it thoughtfully and with great deference. I am really excited to pick your brain about matters of TNP law and law philosophy more broadly. With that in mind, I have a series of questions:

In light of the recently passed AGORA Act, is it your opinion that the Court no longer can resolve matters of ambiguity or clarify legal questions through the normal Court process? If not, what is the best way for the Court to do that? Is that something the Court should be doing?

What is your opinion on setting up a civil procedure for the Court? Is it necessary? Would it work? If you attempted to pursue it, how would you do it?

Is there any criteria you feel would render a legal complaint frivolous or illegitimate? If so, what circumstances do you imagine would meet this criteria?

There have been a series of cases within the last year which featured guilty pleas and advocacy for reduced sentences, and yet the Court rendered what many felt were overly harsh judgments. Looking back at these recent cases, can you identify any which you feel had overly harsh sentences, and if so, how would you have ruled differently?

Is there any other case previously heard by the Court that you feel was decided incorrectly or inappropriately, and if so, how would you have ruled differently?

Judicial restraint is something many would consider to be worthy of pursuit. Explain your vision and personal philosophy as it comes to restraint and how this principle would be embodied, or tempered, by your own actions on the Court.

Related to the above, given that the number of cases the Court hears each term may be few and far between and the region's Court precedent slow to develop, do you believe that it is desirable to use the Court to right wrongs or address problems in existing law if given the chance with a relevant case? For the purposes of this question, I am taking it for granted that the Court will not rule on something or expand an opinion beyond what is germane to a case they are hearing.

Considering that Justices are elected in TNP just as officials in the others branches are, do you believe there is an imperative for the Court to defer entirely to the other branches when faced with situations where laws or decisions may be at risk of being overturned or deemed inconsistent with the constitution? Where is the bar for you when it comes to using your judgment to possibly reverse or undo the efforts of the other branches? Are there clear situations where this should or should not be done?

The penal code contemplates sentences that are mostly finite in nature, but in a few situations may be indefinite or permanent. In your view is there a functional difference between an indefinite sentence versus a permanent one in our laws as written? If so, what situations may one form of sentence be preferable over the other?

It has been remarked at various times that the Court does not provide an opportunity for interested citizens to learn the ropes or get acquainted with the region's legal system outside of reading legal documents and case law. Do you believe there is a way to provide such opportunities to citizens, such as a clerk or staff position working under the justices? Is this even something that is desirable or worthy or pursuit? If so, how would you propose going about doing that?

Follow up for you Alamei:

Individual justices decide on criminal cases and may also draft opinions alone. Given that you have advocated for the other justices to participate in cases by asking questions during proceedings so as to better inform their collective judgment in deciding a case, do you believe there may be situations where one could successfully argue the entire bench recuse themselves in the event the decision is appealed or reviewed?

From my knowledge of you, I believe that you would make a fine justice in this upcoming time of transition for the court. Consider yourself endorsed for what its worth.

Would you have ruled differently on the original sentencing order in relation to TNP vs. Whole India? If so, how?

In light of the recently passed AGORA Act, is it your opinion that the Court no longer can resolve matters of ambiguity or clarify legal questions through the normal Court process? If not, what is the best way for the Court to do that? Is that something the Court should be doing?
Judicial review remains a cornerstone of the Court's duties; however, its purview has certainly been reduced. Legal questions concerning the constitutionality of legislation or lawfulness of government acts remains squarely within the Court's domain, and is the most important part of judicial oversight. Resolving conflicts or ambiguities in the body of law beneath the Constitution, however, is now a matter for the Regional Assembly alone. This makes the Court's duties clearer and more predictable, and enforcement of the law accordingly less mutable, but requires swift and decisive action by the RA where the best course of action cannot be resolved, in lieu of guidance by the Court serving as a stopgap.

What is your opinion on setting up a civil procedure for the Court? Is it necessary? Would it work? If you attempted to pursue it, how would you do it?
Coming from TVF, where a large proportion of cases were civil matters, TNP has a much more effective system of moderation which renders the intervention of the Court largely unnecessary. And given the sheer size of players in the region, if the Court were to take on a primary role in the resolution of civil disputes, it would very quickly become bogged down in disputes which, while valid, do not run afoul of the Criminal Code and hold few implications for the region at large. In my view, civil disputes are adequately addressed by the mechanisms we have in place at this time.

As to the mechanics of a civil procedure, were it to exist, I agree wholeheartedly with what @Zyvetskistaahn remarked in his own campaign thread. For it to work, such a procedure requires a high barrier to entry, such that the Court only hears matters that cannot be resolved through normal moderation procedures, and only on such disputes for which the Court can reasonably hope to provide a remedy.

Is there any criteria you feel would render a legal complaint frivolous or illegitimate? If so, what circumstances do you imagine would meet this criteria?
The Court must give complainants the benefit of the doubt unless there is a compelling reason to reject it out of hand. A complaint which does not hold solid legal merit in its presentation or otherwise is part of a pattern of excessive or unmeritorious complaints against an individual or official by one or a group of complainants may be considered frivolous. On this charge, which is largely dependent on inference of the motivation(s) of the complainant, it is nearly impossible to draw up an exhaustive standard. In the words of Potter Stewart, "I know it when I see it".

There have been a series of cases within the last year which featured guilty pleas and advocacy for reduced sentences, and yet the Court rendered what many felt were overly harsh judgments. Looking back at these recent cases, can you identify any which you feel had overly harsh sentences, and if so, how would you have ruled differently?
In The North Pacific v. Bobberino, the defendant certainly deserved punishment for the abuse of his power as Minister of Defense, not only by utilizing the official announcements channel to promote his campaign, but doing so under the apparent threat of a ban. However, given the defendant's guilty plea and acceptance of punishment for his actions, even if they were intended as a joke, as well as his good standing in and contributions to TNP, I found the five-month suspension of voting rights to be disproportionate, especially in light of the verdicts in TNP v. Madjack and TNP v. Tomb, which had other charges/exacerbating circumstances. A three-month suspension would have been more appropriate and in line with precedent.

Is there any other case previously heard by the Court that you feel was decided incorrectly or inappropriately, and if so, how would you have ruled differently?
The most recent and obvious answer here is TNP v. Whole India. The authentication of the images provided by Whole India did not follow the Court's own rules and procedures governing the authentication of evidence, and though there was ample evidence, including a guilty plea, to sentence the defendant, improperly authenticated evidence should not have formed part of the Court's rationale.

Judicial restraint is something many would consider to be worthy of pursuit. Explain your vision and personal philosophy as it comes to restraint and how this principle would be embodied, or tempered, by your own actions on the Court.
In criminal cases or reviewing government acts, each case is unique, with its own mitigating or exacerbating circumstances. Thus, rubber-stamping precedent onto any case which seems similar may very well lead to a miscarriage of justice which does not fully account for the circumstances of the individual case or entirely remedy the situation which brought the participants before the case in the first place. Precedent plays an important role in the judicial system, and must guide and strongly inform future decisions, serving as further clarification on the penal code in criminal trials, but cannot advance the cause of equitable justice when treated as one-size-fits-all dogma.

In light of the AGORA Act, the Court's potential to legislate from the bench, as it were, is significantly scaled back. More generally, I'm of the opinion that the Court must, in order to preserve its legitimacy as an impartial and objective body, adhere to the letter of the law, but should not hesitate to exercise its power when the letter of the law is breached, either by criminal acts, the acts of government officials, or contradiction of the Constitution.

Related to the above, given that the number of cases the Court hears each term may be few and far between and the region's Court precedent slow to develop, do you believe that it is desirable to use the Court to right wrongs or address problems in existing law if given the chance with a relevant case? For the purposes of this question, I am taking it for granted that the Court will not rule on something or expand an opinion beyond what is germane to a case they are hearing.
While I believe that it is the mission of the Court to right wrongs and injustices, I also hold that legislation is best left to the legislature itself. The Court must take care to do so only when it is necessary to resolve the specific matter at hand. To approach jurisprudence with a bias for change is to invite overreach and prejudice in the decision-making process.

Considering that Justices are elected in TNP just as officials in the others branches are, do you believe there is an imperative for the Court to defer entirely to the other branches when faced with situations where laws or decisions may be at risk of being overturned or deemed inconsistent with the constitution? Where is the bar for you when it comes to using your judgment to possibly reverse or undo the efforts of the other branches? Are there clear situations where this should or should not be done?
Within its legal remit, the Court stands as a check on all other powers. While the Court should not be deliberately antagonistic or endeavor to stifle the efforts of other government organs without a compelling reason, its job is to interpret and enforce the law, not play politics. The Court should never shy away from pursuing truth and justice, doubly so when it is inconvenient or hard to swallow. Judicial independence is a strong sticking point for me.

The penal code contemplates sentences that are mostly finite in nature, but in a few situations may be indefinite or permanent. In your view is there a functional difference between an indefinite sentence versus a permanent one in our laws as written? If so, what situations may one form of sentence be preferable over the other?
The distinction is semantic, but a permanent sentence is a harsher one than an indefinite sentence. While the former explicitly closes the door to the possibility of clemency, an indefinite sentence does not. In practice, the difference is largely academic, but the choice of words speaks to the strength of the condemnation.

It has been remarked at various times that the Court does not provide an opportunity for interested citizens to learn the ropes or get acquainted with the region's legal system outside of reading legal documents and case law. Do you believe there is a way to provide such opportunities to citizens, such as a clerk or staff position working under the justices? Is this even something that is desirable or worthy or pursuit? If so, how would you propose going about doing that?
A legal apprenticeship may very well be worth looking into, and would be a good way to gain firsthand insight into the legal system, but more pertinent to the general public, I think, is outreach that doesn't require one to actively pursue a staff position. A similar system to the North Pacific University, focusing on the body of law and jurisprudence of the region itself, including frequently asked questions, would provide a more welcoming opportunity for those unacquainted with the region's legal system to learn more and ask any questions which may arise.

Follow up for you Alamei:

Individual justices decide on criminal cases and may also draft opinions alone. Given that you have advocated for the other justices to participate in cases by asking questions during proceedings so as to better inform their collective judgment in deciding a case, do you believe there may be situations where one could successfully argue the entire bench recuse themselves in the event the decision is appealed or reviewed?
This is a particularly interesting question. Given my model of non-moderating justices asking questions for clarification, their level of participation in the trial process is still rather limited in comparison to the Moderating Justice. I would venture that if a justice's questions were especially pointed or hostile so as to betray bias that would call into question their impartiality, a case could be made for their recusal. Of course, in such an event, a justice should properly have recused themselves from the beginning. I suppose that, as I suggested when I posed the idea, allowing all justices to participate in the hearing process holds the potential to render an individual justice's reasoning and thought process more transparent, and in that way would make such a scenario more plausible, albeit unlikely.

---
Would you have ruled differently on the original sentencing order in relation to TNP vs. Whole India? If so, how?
Yes; as I indicated above in response to @Pallaith , because the images provided by Whole India were clearly authenticated improperly, they should not have been entered into evidence and used against the defendant. However, I concur with the Court's revised sentence and rationale thereof, because the purportedly doctored screenshots did not form the bulk of the evidence against the defendant and did not themselves result in the original sentence being significantly harsher than it otherwise would have been.

I don't usually ask questions of other candidates in elections, but since I do not think it has been brought up, what are your views on the rule amendments recently referred to the Assembly for consultation (here?

Holy shit. Take my vote. TAKE IT

I am SO happy to see a new face (Alamei) in TNP! I'm already used to all the other candidates, but THIS PLAYER, I want to see what he has in store for us!!!

VOTE FOR ALAMEI

I don't usually ask questions of other candidates in elections, but since I do not think it has been brought up, what are your views on the rule amendments recently referred to the Assembly for consultation (here?
Between the notification of government officials involved in reviews, clarifications, and guidelines governing Freedom of Information requests, this seems to me to be a well-considered proposal. Though the doubled period for review may be a bit on the lengthy side, and I would endeavor to deliver opinions with greater speed as a member of the Court (where possible without compromising judgment by rushing to conclusions), I recognize your argument that reviews exceed the 7-day mark more often than not, and that your hands-on experience obviously exceeds mine when it comes to the realities of Court deliberations. Overall, I see nothing objectionable. I think they're a solid set of changes that will allow the Court to function with greater consistency by codifying rules and mechanisms where there were none before and empowering the Court to dispense with frivolous litigation which would otherwise unnecessarily delay ongoing proceedings.

Last edited:
Back