TNP Nation
Oracle
Discord
Hyperion#1325
Information of Recourse Act

Section 1.
Amend Section 7.3 of the Legal Code to read as follows:
Section 7.3: Onsite Authority
11. Violators of NationStates rules, or residents banned offsite by forum administration, may be subject to summary ejection or banning.
12. Residents banned on the basis of forum bans imposed by forum administration may not be banned for longer than the length of the ban imposed by forum administration.
13. Nations recruiting for other regions may be subject to summary ejection or banning.
14. Nations for which the Court has issued an indictment permitting it may be ejected or banned.
15. Nations that have been so sentenced by the Court will be ejected or banned.
16. The official performing an ejection or ban will promptly inform the region and Government.
17. The official performing the ejection or ban will inform the ejected or banned nation of the action taken, as well as their right to judicial review, within 24 hours.
18. The Serving Delegate may regulate the Regional Message Board as they see fit.
19. Such regulations may not prohibit speech which is in the context of TNP politics.
20. All actions of the WA Delegate, the Serving Delegate, or of their appointed Regional Officers related to this section will be subject to judicial review.
Section 2: The Speaker shall update any necessary number of sections to align with this change.

11. Violators of NationStates rules, or residents banned offsite by forum administration, may be subject to summary ejection or banning.
12. Residents banned on the basis of forum bans imposed by forum administration may not be banned for longer than the length of the ban imposed by forum administration.
13. Nations recruiting for other regions may be subject to summary ejection or banning.
14. Nations for which the Court has issued an indictment permitting it may be ejected or banned.
16. The official performing an ejection or ban will promptly inform the region and Government.
17. The official performing the ejection or ban will inform the ejected or banned nation of the action taken, as well as their right to judicial review, within 24 hours.
18. The Serving Delegate may regulate the Regional Message Board as they see fit.
19. Such regulations may not prohibit speech which is in the context of TNP politics.
20. All actions of the WA Delegate, the Serving Delegate, or of their appointed Regional Officers related to this section will be subject to judicial review.

Section 1. Amend Section 7.3 of the Legal Code to read as follows:
17. The official performing the ejection or ban will promptly inform the ejected or banned nation of the action taken, as well as their right to judicial review. Exceptions to this shall include nations banned for recruiting or serial spammers.
Section 2: The Speaker shall update any necessary number of sections to align with this change.
I feel that this should be an important addition to the legal code and make sure that nations who have been banned/ejected are aware of their right to appeal their ban through a judicial review.

Last edited:
Not sure about "serial spammers" though I understand what you're trying to accomplish here.

Don't have the exact wording at the moment, but perhaps instead it could refer to the nationstate rules being violated or the nation being deleted by moderators or otherwise warned as a result of a getting help request?

The intention of this bill seems good enough, though I imagine some kinks in the wording will need to be worked out. Specifically, what McM mentioned, as well as what constitutes a history

I'd recommend that any ban other than one imposed by the court needs a notification. Spamming is covered in the criminal code (1.5) as well as recruitment (1.7). Start prepping templates to send out. Honestly takes a minute to follow through and send a telegram.

Last edited:
Problem is that often we ban multiple nations within minutes and then they are mod deleted. Seems like a waste of time. Nessie in particular already has a lot to do, so adding unnecessary notifications where it can be avoided seems unduly burdensome.

Perhaps provide a timeframe for the notifications to be sent? Say, 24 hours? Then, include that nations which no longer exist do not need to be sent a telegram. That should solve this issue I believe. That way, if Nessie bans a number of nations in a while, files a GHR, then he can check back a few hours later to see which nations still exist and need to be sent telegrams.

I have updated the bill to reflect the comments made.

17. The official performing the ejection or ban will inform the ejected or banned nation of the action taken, as well as their right to judicial review within 24 hours.

Would it be preferred to broaden who can inform the nation?

I'm just thinking of cases where a BCer is on mobile and we can bother them to banject but it'd be more difficult for them to write a telegram.

I'm just thinking of cases where a BCer is on mobile and we can bother them to banject but it'd be more difficult for them to write a telegram.
Who would you propose that we expand it to?

I think that any RO or GA could so so.

Who would you propose that we expand it to?
Wasn't sure. Would need to phrase it appropriately somehow.

I think Artemis's suggestion works. Just want to avoid a scenario where a telegram isn't sent in 24 hours and results in finger pointing.

I wonder if "inform...of the action taken" includes information on the reason the action was taken? I think it's preferable to make clear the reason to the ejected nation to help them determine if a judicial review is a reasonable course of action.

I move for a vote.
The motion to vote is recognised and the bill has entered formal debate which will last for 5 days, after which a vote will be undertaken.

It would be ideal for the proposal to be expanded to allow another to notify (as suggested earlier) rather than simply the officer doing the ban. We have a whole team of GAs who could do the notification which would assist the Delegate or the lead GAs.
In particular thinking of situations where the border control officer responds quickly to do the ban before returning to work (or sleep). 24 hours is a tight time frame and I could easily see it resulting in finger pointing as Praetor alluded to earlier.

Something else that comes to mind is using a scripted telegram from TNL. Would be a rather generic telegram mostly informing them that they were banned from the region alongside their right to a judicial review with relevant links and information.

Something else that comes to mind is using a scripted telegram from TNL. Would be a rather generic telegram mostly informing them that they were banned from the region alongside their right to a judicial review with relevant links and information.
It's up to us to legislate and to the Delegate to execute - let details of implimentation such as that be left to the Delegate, and let us set down the standards of what should be accomplished.

That section uses the word Government in a very particular sense. I would reuse it. If it seems vague, define it.

I withdraw my motion for a vote.
This is noted, and I'd just like to apologise for putting the proposal to vote earlier than it was supposed to be. This was largely an error on my part.

Back