Kanpekina Shima

Registered
Pronouns
Bob/Dead
TNP Nation
Kanpekina_Shima
Discord
Chirumi#1833
In the last lesson we talked about noticing emotions. Now we're going to learn about the arc of emotions, and their long term consequences.

In this lesson let me show you that sometimes what we do in response to our emotions can feel good in the short term but can hurt us in the long run. Think of a recent emotional experience you want to talk about. Think of a moment when you were experiencing some emotion that you remember. Emotions rarely come out of nowhere. Emotional experiences usually happen in reaction to a situation or event. Sometimes the trigger is something that happened right before. Like, someone said something mean and your feelings got hurt. But sometimes the trigger can be something that happened earlier in the week, or even a long time ago. Thinking back to your emotional experience, can you tell me what triggered it? Not sure? That's ok. OK, so these emotions, thoughts and actions all trigger each other. And sometimes our actions can bring some relief, but hurt us in the long run. So, say I’ve always struggled with social anxiety but I just got invited to a party. So I go to it, feel really anxious, and leave quickly. At first, I feel relieved when I leave the party. Pretty understandable, right? But, long term I feel lonely. The short term consequence of me leaving was feeling better. But the long term consequence was loneliness. What were the short and long-term consequences of your recent emotional experience? It can be helpful for you to understand how you feel emotions by unpacking them into their thoughts, physical sensations, and behaviors. But the most important part is to figure out how the short term consequences of our actions might be different from the long term consequences of our actions. Does that make sense to you?

Good! Alright, that's the end of today's lecture. Class dismissed!

Back